[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thickening Gumbo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: gumboney.jpg (28KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
gumboney.jpg
28KB, 475x475px
Hello /ck/ I was planning on making gumbo according to the following recipe:

3 large yellow onion, chopped
3 green bell pepper, chopped
3 red bell pepper, chopped
1 lb. okra, sliced
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
12 Tbs. all-purpose flour
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with juices
10 cups fish stock or bottled clam juice
5 bay leaves
7 1/2 Tbs. Creole seasoning blend
2.5 lb. polish kielbasa, sliced
2.5 lb. diced chicken breats
1 tbsp. filé powder
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Cooked white rice for serving

I have made the recipe before and while delicious it was ultimately very watery. Early on, the recipe calls for a roux using the oil and flour, plus a small amount of file powder at the end, in an attempt to mix with the stock and thicken the dish but ultimately these steps were not enough.

Is there any other way to thicken it? I've already decided to either triple or quadruple the file powder as it was entirely undetectable in the original recipe, plus double the roux since it also seemed wholly inadequate. Would cornstarch also be an effective thickener? How do you keep it from clumping up when you toss it in?
>>
>>8815961
Gumbo pro here.
First
Make your own stock with a whole chicken. Next use a.omef sausage not keilbasa. Next...No tomatoes dude, wtf.
Last. To thicken add more dark roux. Duh .
>>
File: Birds.jpg (21KB, 405x650px) Image search: [Google]
Birds.jpg
21KB, 405x650px
>>8815961
More roux or you could use a slurry if you have corn starch.

Beyond that you could cook it low and slow and let it reduce. A from-scratch gumbo isn't a can of soup...jackass.
>>
>>8815961
either more roux, just fucking cook it down and reduce, or use a tiny sprinkle of xantham gum

are you actually disabled
>>
>>8816045
>>8816078
>>8816056

I suppose I should have mentioned that I am aware that this is a massively bastardized version of gumbo already
>>
>>8816103
nothing wrong with bastardizing traditional recipes when the traditional can be improved so much (gumbo and hungarian goulash are great examples)

but really, it's obvious from the recipe it's just extra water. reduce it on high heat a while and add some xanthum if it's already too flavourful before being too reduced
>>
>filé
not file
fucking pretentious pedantic lereddit nigger fuck off i hope you choke on your shitty gum-beaux
>>
>>8815961
yeah, cornstarch will work too. the trick to preventing clumping is to mix it into some water before adding it to the dish.
>>
>>8815961
I make gumbo all the time.
>NEVER use File in Okra gumbo... Ever!
>Skip the fish stock, use homemade chicken stock as >>8816045 suggested. The natural gelatin will improve the texture. 2 Quarts is fine.
>Cook the gumbo until the okra is obliterated
>Kill the red bell pepper and substitute 6 stalks of celery, diced
>Skip the tomatoes, the acid breaks the thickening and adds unnecessary water.
>If you must have tomatoes, finely dice two seeded Roma tomatoes and add with the trinity.
>Kielbasa is fine if you can't find real boudin.
>>
>>8815961
>fish stock in a chicken and sausage gumbo
The fuck?

If you're dead set on using that recipe, you can simply make your roux thicker by adding flower. The longer you cook your roux, the less it acts as a thickening agent, so a trick to thicken it up is to stir in a table spoon or so of flour at the end, when it's that dark chocolate color that it should be, and it will help thicken your broth.

If you want to use canned tomato, then strain them before adding.

Bake, or saute, your okra before adding it, as that will serve as a thickener as well.

Finally, save the file for sprinkling over individual servings as needed, rather than adding it to the entire pot.
>>
File: IMG_2669.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2669.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Well here is 8 quarts of my currently meatless non-gumbo stew. I doubled the oil for the roux and quadrupled the flour. It was roughly the consistency of cookie dough, which meant I couldn't really brown it properly. Nonetheless happy with the current thickeness. Gonna cool it and put it in the fridge before adding the meat and heating it up tomorrow.
>>
>>8816797
Do you not like the flavor of a nice dark roux, anon?
>>
>>8816823

I would've preferred it but there was no way I was going to be able to get it to brown evenly with the consistency.
>>
>>8816838

If your roux gets too thick, just add oil. Too thin, add flour. You could even add water, or stock, if you didn't want more oil. Bottom line, you can adjust the consistency all the way to the very end as needed.
>>
>>8816481
i was nodding along until
>boudin
>in gumbo
yeah, no.
>andouille
is the word you were looking for.
>>
>>8816797
What a fucking horror show
>>
File: IMG_2671.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2671.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Here is the end result for my gumbo-style butchered stew, with a blop of hot sauce topping it off
>>
File: GUMBONEY1.jpg (425KB, 1224x996px) Image search: [Google]
GUMBONEY1.jpg
425KB, 1224x996px
>>8820817
wew let me right that so I can get a thorough critque
>>
>>8820826
>>8820817

Can't wait to hear how hot sauce in cajun cooking is a meme perpetuated by Big Tabasco
>>
>>8816864
the longer you cook a roux the more thickening power it loses. i rely on the okra to finish it up.
also i don't serve it on a plate...?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.