[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How often do you make your own sauces?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: alfuckingredo.jpg (335KB, 700x1050px) Image search: [Google]
alfuckingredo.jpg
335KB, 700x1050px
During my lunches I like to make alfredo sauce, it's always simple, easy and tasty. As long as I'm not a fucking numpty and screw up my roux. What sauces do you like to make /co/? What's your favorite mother sauce?
>>
Do you just eat it like a soup...?
>>
File: hot water.jpg (28KB, 622x424px) Image search: [Google]
hot water.jpg
28KB, 622x424px
>>8810770
no I usually put it on pasta and chicken with mushrooms or whatever else I have in my fridge I might want to put in.
I'm not a caveman
>>
When I need sauce, I usually make it. I make my own salad dressing, I make dipping sauces when I make pretzels, and I make pizza sauce.

>favorite mother sauce
Probably mayo as a base, though mustard is good too to give a lot of flavor.
>>
>>8810796
>mayo
>mustard

I agree with you on the mayo, but I meant mother sauces as in the five mother sauces
Bechmel, Veloute, Espagnole, Tomatoe, and Hollandaise
>>
>>8810748
I love making my own handmade white sauce, feels so great
>>
>>8810839
Fair enough anon
>>
I make chicken gravy with a basic roux, stock, cream and bacon drippings. It's pretty awesome.
>>
>>8810885
What do you usually use it for, general gravy use? or something specific?
>>
I tend to keep it to simple pan sauces, since I'm generally not cooking to impress and deglazing the pan makes it easier to clean.

I also just made a small batch of miso dressing that also doubles as a pretty tasty sauce.
>>
>>8810905
I'll roast some chicken and make mashed potatoes with cream and butter, chives, sour cream, bacon bits. I use the bacon fat and chicken drippings to flavor the gravy . It's terribly unhealthy but its probably the tastiest thing I can make.

Sometimes I'll steam some broccoli with it to pretend I'm being healthy.
>>
My favorite mother sauce is hollandaise. I made an awesome breakfast the other day with it. I had eggs benedict with english muffin, prosciutto, crab cake, hollandaise, and old bay with a side of spinach and fruit. It was so fucking good.
>>
File: Star11.png (149KB, 337x338px) Image search: [Google]
Star11.png
149KB, 337x338px
>>8810931
Fuck anon that sounds deadly delicious.
>>
>>8810938
Fair enough, anon. That sounds like a godly eggs benedict
>>
When I visit my family, I usually end up cooking all the time for them. Breakfast with the family is super important to me. I make a home made cream gravy (with biscuits (of course)). I'll share with you all my recipe.
>Roux
One cup of FRESH bacon/sausage grease, seven ounces of flour
>wet set
Three quarts of 2% milk, two cups of heavy cream; seasoned with three tablespoons of chicken base, two tablespoons of ham base, and one tablespoon of sugar
(Heat this mixture to ~140 degrees f first)
Cook the roux for two minutes on medium, and one minute on high.
Add wet shit. Season after thickening with two teaspoons of white pepper and two teaspoons of black pepper.

Granted, this recipe will yield a FUCK ton but I have a large family, especially if my aunts and uncles are over. You can scale it down as needed.
>>
>>8810985
Thanks anon.
Fuckin saved
>>
File: 1454171436811.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1454171436811.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I'll occasionally make tomato based pasta sauces starting from raw tomatoes, but most of the time the jarred stuff is good enough for me.

Mainly I like making gravies and pan sauces.
>>
>>8810931
Muh nigga
>>
>>8810985
>When I visit my family, I usually end up cooking all the time for them.
Lol, I do the same but only because id rather be in the kitchen tan spend time with those asshats.
>>
>>8810748
I always make sauces they're easy and give me experience
>>
>>8811011
Appreciate it, dude. Give it a shot and make a thread. Hopefully I see it.
>>
Maybe you guys can help me, what's the best way to make a pan sauce? I never know when or how much I should use wine, demi glace, butter, cream, etc.
>>
>>8811063
Best is pretty subjective.

I tend to just go simple. Get some flavour on the pan, leave a bit of the fat in, add some aromatics, some alcohol, some stock.. I don't usually add butter or cream cause trying to eat a bit healthier these days, but it does improve the flavour if you don't mind the calories.
>>
>>8811079
I never know how much to add and then reduce though. Like if I sear a 1lb pork tenderloin, add some minced shallots, add half a cup of pinot noir and reduce it until there is only a little liquid left...how much demi glace should I add? and how long should I let it simmer for? and do you ever add gelatin or corn starch?
>>
>>8811049
>make a sauce
>+1 to experiance
>>
>>8811045
>I'd rather be in the kitchen than spend time with those asshats.
I feel like this describes /ck/
>>
>>8810985
sounds delicious anon. I've never used bacon fat in place of butter for a roux, does it change the consistency at all?
>>
>>8810748
>Alfredo
>roux
>somehow screwing up a roux
What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>8811026
How does that tomato sauce taste?
>>
File: 1454172383252.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1454172383252.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>8811591
Honestly pretty damn good to me, especially after it's sat in the fridge for a day.

That said it takes hours to make (I slow roast the tomatoes first).
>>
For me, it's my handmade white sauce every time Im done watching Giada at home..
>>
>>8812091
Slow roasting the tomatoes seems like a good idea, doesnt that lemon juice make the sauce a bit too acidic though?
>>
>>8812104
>>8810839
Do you eat it too?
>>
File: 1454169878063.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1454169878063.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8812130
It probably does, but I like a slight bit of citrous in the sauce (I only use a slight dribble of the stuff) and it seems to work against the peppers (birdseye chilis) in a nice way.
>>
>>8811181
Which part? Roux in my alfredo or screwing up a roux?
>>
>>8812379
Both, I'm guessing.
>>
>>8810748

Why would you buy premade sauce unless you're American or a retarded foreverchild?

>any dish involving bechmel is always god-tier comfort food
>>
>>8812391
>>8811181
Then I am further confused. I admit fucking a roux is stupid. But how else would one make an alfredo? I make a light roux, take milk/cream and make it bechmel, add cheese and salt to the bechmel and boom you have alfredo. How else does one make it?
>>
>>8812467
>How else does one make it?

Equal parts butter and heavy cream. Cook out some of the moisture until the mixture thickens. Whisk in parmaggiano-reggiano cheese & a lot of black pepper.
>>
>>8812495
Never heard it made this way before, seems like a lot of butter.
>>
>>8810748
That shit gives me the Hershey squirts but I love it. We make the creamiest Alfredo sauce at work it's unbelievable.
>>
>>8811110
no i mean like it helps me practice and be better at cooking not like a dumb dnd type exp
>>
>>8810748
I like making tomato sauces, peppercorn with cream and reduced alcohol, and hollandaise. God hollandaise is fun to make.
>>
>>8811148
Unless you have a lot of debris in the fat, no. Filter it with a fine mesh strainer if you want.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.