[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sauerkraut

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

File: ps_sauerkraut.jpg (198KB, 525x720px) Image search: [Google]
ps_sauerkraut.jpg
198KB, 525x720px
Is there any food more versatile, healthy, and practical than sauerkraut? Truly it is the food of the gods.

>prevents scurvy
>highly bioavailable nutrients
>Vitamin B, C, K, calcium, magnesium, dietary fiber, folate, iron, potassium, copper and manganese
>probiotics
>tons of articles on NCBI Pubmed showing it heals stomach ulcers and other digestive issues
>literally saved lives during the Civil War
>cures canker sores
>oculoprotectice
>inhibits growth of cancer cells in vitro and in animal studies
>make you toot, which makes kids laugh
>lasts for months
>can be used to make soup
>can be used as salad
>good on sandwiches
>can add apples, cranberries, peppers, carrots, all kinda shit to it
>>
>>8809572
kimchi
>>
>>8809572
>can be used to make soup
tell me more
>>
>>8809572
sauerkraut is pretty great, OP
best hot dog topping, just add your favorite mustard
10/10
>>
>>8809653
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbage_soup
it's surprisingly flavorful actually, nice and sour and goes great with black pepper
>>
>>8809679
nice, thanks op
found something new to try
>>
>>8809653
3 cups sauerkraut
1.5 cup sliced onion
1.5 cup sliced bell pepper
1.5 cup sliced apple
3 cloves minced garlic
3 pieces chopped bacon
1/2 cup white wine
2 + cups chicken stock, or as needed
salt to taste
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp caraway seed
1 tsp smoked paprika

Heat pan to medium. Add chopped bacon and render fat. When bacon is cooked but still soft, add sliced onion, bell pepper, and apple, and cook until tender. Add kraut, seasoning, and wine, and cook until most of the alcohol smell has gone from wine. Cover with chicken stock (or water if out of stock), bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for an hour, check and season with salt as needed.

Goes great with taters', pork, or a hearty bread.
>>
>>8809729
thank you, saved the recipe
do you eat it with potatoes?
>>
>>8809760
>Goes great with 'taters
>>
>>8809768
havent looked up taters and don't know them
thats why i asked
google seemed to suggest potatoes
>>
>>8809783
Taters are slang for potatoes yes
>>
>>8809760
>do you eat it with potatoes?

Absolutely.

If you want more protein with the meal, chop up a pork loin, salt and pepper it, and brown it in the bacon fat, set aside, then sweat your veggies, and add the pork back for the simmer with everything else.

If you want a bit of sweet to the soup, add about 1/2 cup of apple juice.

Goes well with rice, too.
>>
>>8809834
looking forward to this
I like new flavours and this seems like an easy new idea for a meal
>>
>>8809856
It'll freeze really well too so if you make a ton just tuck some away in the freezer and thaw when you want some comfy soup
>>
does anyone know where you can order say a case of kraut and/or kimchi?
>>
>>8809946

1) Ask at your local market. They can special-order it for you. sometimes they won't do this if you only want one of something but if you're buying a whole case that shouldn't be a problem.

2) I would imagine this would be easy to find online. Search Amazon, google, etc.

3) Buy a case of canning jars and make it yourself. It's easy as fuck.
>>
>>8809783
>>
>>8809967
found the incredible low qualitiy shitposter
>>
>>8809946
I'd try the internet
>>
>>8809946
Make your own.

Slice cabbage thin.
Add 3% sea / kosher salt by weight of cabbage. So 100grams of cabbage gets 3 grams of salt.
Mix and squeeze and allow to rest until moisture starts coming out of the cabbage.
Jam the cabbage in mason jars and cover with a brine solution of 1 tbs sea salt per 1 quart of water.
Lightly put lit on so gasses can escape.
Top off with brine daily as needed.
3 days to a week later, you'll have a very mild and delicious kraut you can eat.
The longer you let it ferment, the more sour it becomes.

I don't let mine go for more than a week before I tap into it. It's delicious.
>>
>>8810058
I'm starting to wonder if this is a /ck/ tread for real
2 useful recipes
thanks
>>
>>8809634
Pickled foods arent healthy
>>
>>8810092
>citation needed
>>
>>8810092
lel
another sad attempt to shitpost
>>
>with mushrooms fills your pierogies
>makes great bigos
>goes good with hot dog
>great with kaszanka
>does a great kapusniak
>taste well on its own on a cold winter morning.

I love it
>>
>>8810035
oh wow your use cynicism is outstanding
>>
>>8810108

I have never heard of
>kaszanka
and
>kapusniak
and I've never tried
>pierogies
but you got me interested and I will look them up
>>
>>8810108
same with
>bigos
>>
>>8810122
>never had kapusniak

It's polish cabbage soup, has potatoes, sauerkraut, carrots, celery, and kielbasa/pork. It will cure what ails you. Last time I had a cold I bought 2 quarts of frozen homemade kapusniak from the local polish market and ate it every day that week.
>>
>>8809572
James Cook carried sauerkraut on his ship when he discovered Australia because he knew it prevented scurvy for his men.
>>
Nature's enema, eat a can on an empty stomach and soon you'll be pissing from your butt.
>>
>>8810122
kaszanka is polish blood sausage, kapusniak is cabbage soup, bigos is hunter's stew
>>
>>8810092
lmao take that weak shitpost to the retards on /pol/ or /fit/.
>>
>>8809572
What's a good brand that's actually "alive"? Alot of the sauerkraut in our country is full of questionable things, dead and basically preserved mush, not proper sauerkraut.
>>
>>8809572
Dude there have been so many people talking about sauerkraut here lately. Is it everyone or just one guy?
Thing is I actually have a can in the pantry of it. Might eat it today.
>>
>>8809679
Dude, I'm doing this.
>>
>>8812397
>can
Get actual German or Polish sauerkraut, jarred. That can stuff is dead, mush that's been sitting in plastic for god knows how long.
>>
>>8812353
>What's a good brand that's actually "alive"?

I can't name any brands for you, but it's very easy to tell if it's "alive" or not. If it's "alive" it will be sold refrigerated. If it's sold at room temperature then it's not alive.

Or you could simply make it yourself, it's very easy.
>>
>>8812426
I know and agree with you, but I'll eat it since I happen to have it. I have had jarred that was much better.
>>
>>8812353
Bubbies. Kroger and some other major chains have started carrying it. Kind of pricey though. In the long run, if it's a staple, you'd be better off making your own.
>>
>>8810122
dont try that fucking shit kaszanka, the rest is fucking awesome, especially the pierogies when you fry them on your pan

or bigos when you mix it with some whatever pasta, its awesome and cheap as fuck
>>
>>8812397
>>8812426
pole here, now that I think of it I've never seen canned sauerkraut, it's always jarred. I wonder why that is
>>
>>8812988
there is nothing wrong with kaszanka, just remember to fry it with some chopped onions, never eat it cold
bigos with pasta sounds disgusting though
>>
>>8813025
mix it with bigos and try it, you wont even be the same person
>>
>>8812353
Just look for sauerkraut that is preservative free - buy from a Polish, Russian, or German market. There's probably closer to you than you think.
>>
>>8809695
>>8812413
protip: make the polish or slovak variants
>>
>>8809572
I like it but don't ever have enough reason to buy some. It comes in large packaging and only eat it with bratwurst
>>
>>8813240
make soup or bigos, sauerkraut is the main ingredient in both
>>
Is it normal to cook/heat the sauerkraut when eating it with sausages? I've just been taking it straight from the jar and putting it on my plate.
>>
>>8813342
I picked up some kielbasa today because of this thread and I was wondering the same thing. I think it would be better to eat it warm with some hot kielbasa out of the oven

Any other suggestions of what to eat with kielbasa and kraut?
>>
>>8813354
German potato salad, or just potatoes, fuck load of mustard, bread, fry up a pork chop maybe?
>>
>>8813360
Nice forgot about mustard, I'm pretty sure I have some
>>
>>8813384
It's worth it to get some good shit like whole grain mustard. Also you could fancy up your kraut and make a choucroute garnie. One of my favorite dishes desu
>>
>>8813389
My man, I only buy whole grain mustard
>>
>>8813403
I like your style
>>
>>8813354
I like cold saurkraut on cold wiener sausage
>>
File: Kraut.jpg (161KB, 1736x624px) Image search: [Google]
Kraut.jpg
161KB, 1736x624px
>>8812453
>Kind of pricey though. In the long run, if it's a staple, you'd be better off making your own.

Manufactured and processed kraut runs about 2 - 10 times the price you'll pay for just buying cabbage and making it yourself. It really is easy to do, and the only thing you need is cabbage, salt, a jar, and about 3 days. You don't even need to add any seasonings, as you can add them when you prepare your kraut dish.
>>
>>8813342
>Is it normal to cook/heat the sauerkraut when eating it with sausages?

Absolutely.

I'll brown bacon, sausage, or pork in the pan with some oil, than toss in the kraut, onion, and bell pepper to deglaze the pan, and saute them in all that delicious fat rendered from the protein until nice and brown, then top up with liquid, season, add the protein back and let it simmer.

There really isn't any "wrong" way to eat kraut.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.