[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cooking for an old person on a budget

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: 1432416769378.jpg (23KB, 460x343px) Image search: [Google]
1432416769378.jpg
23KB, 460x343px
I started living with my grandmother and I have to take care of her diet. She has a bad diet and often has stomach pains and forces herself to throw up. She doesn't like "modern" food (like spaghetti or fried rice) so I usually just cook dinner for myself and eat yogurt/sandwiches, but our budget is a bit tight, so I need to start making meals for both of us. I need some basic, plain "white people friendly" recipes without strange ingredients like quinoa or kale so that I can convince her to eat them. Budgeting tips and freezer-friendly meals would be great too.
>>
Make her pic related, but poison her and get that money
>>
File: 1466048896224.png (339KB, 629x588px) Image search: [Google]
1466048896224.png
339KB, 629x588px
>>8797724
don't need to poison it, shit like this is already lethal
>>
Just fucking murder her, seniors are society's cancer.
>>
>>8797734
Don't say that man, she's the sweetest old lady ever and never said a bad word about anyone, I just want to help her out
>>
Look for whatever meat and veggies are on sale for the day and just boil the hell out of them.
>>
3 mcchickens a day
>>
>>8797676
Your best bet is slow cooker recipes. A big thing of chuck roast, carrots/pearl onions/potatoes, beef stock, minimal seasoning. Let it cook til everything's falling apart, she can eat small amounts for a long time since it freezes well and you can season your portions how you like. Pulled pork is another good one, she can have a little open faced sandwich with a bit of cabbage on top (no coleslaw, dairy's bad if you've got a tricky stomach) while you can add whatever sauce you like to yours.
>>
>>8797676
add thyme to your food if she has problems with her digestion
also caraway seeds
if you want to play with google translate try stosuppe (its tasty, cheap and good for the stomach - basically it's some kind of milk/sourcream soup with potatos and caraway seeds)
also consider riceporridge with some veggies
>>
>>8797787
Your advice is good except slow cookers are disgusting. Just cook everything in a roasting pan so you can get some caramelization.
>>
File: 1474766362671.png (128KB, 275x206px) Image search: [Google]
1474766362671.png
128KB, 275x206px
>>8797787
It sounds great, I'll look into stews/pulled pork but we don't have a slow cooker. Would a pressure cooker work?
>>8797788
Thank you for your suggestion! Grandma doesn't stomach dairy very well, but in a pinch, I'll make it for myself.
>>
>>8797741
but i need to show my friends on a Lithuanian graham cracker production plant Q&A forum that I'm edgy
>>
>>8797796
OP's cooking for his elderly grandma who thinks spaghetti is "modern", I specifically suggested slow cookers so the food doesn't have those kinds of fancy flavors.
>>
>>8797812
Pressure cooker is the opposite of slow cooker sort of.

Slow cooker is a glorified hot plate that stays on low until you turn it off, very gradually breaking down connective tissue in meats.

Pressure cooker creates a high psi environment which raises the boiling point of water. This means that water based dishes (read: soups stews rice grains) can cook in a fraction of the time. There is a bit of a learning curve and safety concerns because of the high pressure, but you can get some really amazing results.

there are lots of easy pressure cooker soup, stew, and batch meal prep recipes on the internet.
>>
Just take her out back and put one behind her ear and continue to collect her social security checks
>>
>>8797812
Should be fine, just add a little more extra liquid if you're converting a slow cooker recipe into the pressure cooker.
>>
>>8797846
Yeah, we usually use a pressure cooker for cheap, tough pieces of meat.

>>8797853
>"Hey guys, look at this edgy post I made, am I cool now?"
>>
>>8797842
Slow cooking is modern ding-a-ling.
>>
>>8797837
>Lithuanian
you should know about some easy recipes for poorfags
>>
>>8797863
Look, if your cunt of a grandmother is so fucking old that she thinks spaghetti is morern she needs to be put down.

But if you really insist on feeding this old hag then look up what they ate during the great depression and feed her that.
>>
>>8797895
Oh man, you reminded me of this channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking/featured
>>
>>8797905
not op but thank you for sharing this channel
thanks to this I rememberd good recipes like eggdrop soup and baked apples
>>
>>8797878
What a wank comeback.
>>
>>8797853
What? A wet finger?
>>
Try making some simple soup, OP. Chicken and rice or chicken noodle will have some veggies and protein and carbs, and you can make it with super simple ingredients.
>>
Cant ever go wrong with a casserole?
>>
>>8798000
We're having it today, good ol chicken noodle never fails
>>
>>8798016
You could also make something simple like a pot roast. It uses a cheap cut of beef, and basic veggies.
>>
>>8798037
The oven is uh, pretty broken and falling apart, as most things in this house. I'll see if I can afford a cooking thermometer.
>>
>>8798044
Do you have access to a slow cooker/crockpot? You can make pot roasts in them pretty easily. You can also pick them up for pretty cheap at some place like Target. If you're really in a pinch, you can also check out places like the Salvation Army in the home goods/electronics section. They usually test stuff out to make sure it works before putting it on the floor.
>>
>>8798067
We've got a pressure cooker, the stove works fine but the oven is usually just a pot and pan storage shelf ahah.

I'm not from the US, I'm actually Polish.
>>
>>8798074
Ah, gotcha. I've never cooked with a pressure cooker, but I'm sure you could find an easy pot roast recipe adaption for one!
>>
>>8797676
follow the recipe but make a roux instead of just adding broth
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/creamy-braised-turnips-and-kohlrabi-peas

tasty, easy, traditional meal, just add rice or potatos for some carbs
>>
>>8798116
Awesome, I got some peas in the freezer, I'll def make this soon!
>>
File: 1421802582112.jpg (488KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
1421802582112.jpg
488KB, 1280x850px
>>8797676
The problem with old people is that they are picky as fuck and eat shitty comfort foods. My grandmother would eat tomato sandwiches, cottage cheese and pineapples. Plain sausage. Just stupid shit. Find something your grandmother enjoys and put spins on it, if she is picky.

Potatoes are cheap, getting a mashed potato recipe she enjoys can set you up really well. I did rice pudding, which might be costly because of the condensed milk but one can of that was a LOT of pudding. Look into stews too. I know you wanted specific recipes but it always depends a lot on the elderly, because of how picky they are.

Take what
>>8797787
>>8797759
said and do that. Soft easy to digest stuff is going to be good. Also just cabbage (heavily boiled if she has bad digestion).

Egg salad for protein and easily prepared meals. Possibly canned tuna when its on sale could help.

I had to cook for my grandmother as well before she died, she moved in with the rest of the family and everyone hated her so I did it.
>>
>>8797676
basically you need cabbage, potatos, eggs and flour

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015735-mashed-potato-and-cabbage-pancakes
>>
>>8799562
leave out the steaming part if you don't have a steamer
just roast or stew it for a bit
>>
>>8797796
>slow cooker
>disgusting
Neck yourself
>>
>>8798074
If you're polish, make polish food?

She never cooked for you? Just make what she used to make.

Also, a good vegetable soup is really good and comforting.
>>
>>8797676
I am forever thankful that I've grown up in an era of food from all over the world being cheap and plentiful in western nations.
>>
>>8797676
Look into recipes for people with bad IBS syndrome. They're really soft on the stomach and should help her up a bit with her issues.
>>
>>8799783
>on /ck/
>defending slowcookers
>>
>spaghetti
>modern

wat
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.