[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying stuff in bulk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: wheatflour_02.jpg (19KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
wheatflour_02.jpg
19KB, 300x225px
I've got 20kg of flour coming in real cheap, any tips on storing that amount? I do plan on going through a fair amount through baking but only baking for myself.

Bulk food thread
>>
also protip to other leafs
at bulk barn if you want to buy a decent amount of shit talk to the manager, they have rates for actual bulk amounts for most items if you buy by what they use to refill the bins. Not where I'm getting this flour though.
>>
Keep it in a dry cool area without sunlight and properly sealed against vermin

Will last for a thousand years if you meet these conditions
>>
>>8797299
it will be nearly impossible to keep the moths away if canada is similar to western europe
I think this should be your main concern
>>
File: Pails.jpg (19KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Pails.jpg
19KB, 450x450px
I usually just stick the bag in a cupboard but if you want to be sure, put the flour in a water tight food-safe container of some sort.
>>
>>8797352
just wrap a lot of it in plastic i'd think? keep a small amount in like, a big cambro for using and refill when needed
>>
>>8797299
How is the flour being supplied and how long are you trying to store it for?

Personally I would individually bag smaller flour bags (5lb/2.26kilo) in ziplocs and store the bags in large food-safe pails that are secure. The pail protects from the outside, the individual bags help prevent contagion (flour bugs of any sort) moving from bag to bag. If I intended to store them for a longer while I would put oxygen absorbent packets in there and/or charge the atmosphere in the bag or sealed bucket with CO2.

If you are getting a much larger bag you could break it down in measured amounts into good, heavy ziploc bags, force out all the air (adding an oxygen absorber still an option) and packing them into a food-safe bucket. Bonus for a screw-on Gamma lid. Then you can just remove a bag at a time to stock your counter-top sized flour jar.
>>
I've bought several food items in bulk before and it's really hard to explain but I somehow lose interest in the food and end up not eating it for extended periods of time.

Some things I have bought in massive quantities:

Heinz Baked Beans - Not available in the US so I had to import them from the UK. Wasn't cheap. But these are the best fucking beans out there

Weetabix - Again, when they weren't available in the US at the time (or very hard to find. also, they didn't have the style I wanted - i wanted the actual biscuit style not the american free flake garbage). Had to import. Bought an entire pallet of the shit.

Almonds - not exactly bulk but I bought a 10kg bag
>>
File: S-17945BL.jpg (52KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
S-17945BL.jpg
52KB, 400x300px
>>8797375
You can get airtight screw off lids for 5gal food safe buckets. We use them to store rice.
>>
>>8797299
20kg is barely anything. Seal it in airtight bags or containers of some sort. Maybe split it in batches.
Keep it cool and dry.
>>
Where does /ck/ get their bulk stuff? I usually go to Sam's Club for 50 lb onions and potatoes

>>8799578

I use those exact lids, the pails were like $10 each and a pack of 4 fucking lids was $60. holy fuck what a rip off
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.