[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is margarine ever justified in baking? whenever I see it in a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1399659047635.jpg (85KB, 324x324px) Image search: [Google]
1399659047635.jpg
85KB, 324x324px
is margarine ever justified in baking?
whenever I see it in a recipe I just substitute with butter
>>
I'm sure it has its purpose
I use it instead of butter because it's cheap and I can sell my cakes to veganfags
>>
>>8790769
>can sell cakes to veganfags
You mean you can't, butter's not vegan.
>>
>>8790781

Maybe you wanna read that sentence you replied to again.

>>8790769

>I use it instead of butter because it's cheap and I can sell my cakes to veganfags
>>
>>8790781
is margarine vegan?
>>
>>8792017
It's plant oils, iirc. Sometimes with added milk, but mostly refined vegetable oil and water.
>>
>>8790756
It has absolutely no cooking or health advantages of note, and the significant disadvantage of being a heavily processed hydrogenated fat which means you get a fair portion of trans fats which are one of the few fats that people aren't trying to shill you when they say are bad. They really are bad, your intestines know that they are fat and absorb them, but your body doesn't know what they are or what to do with them so they just float around your blood stream and clog your arteries.
>>
>>8792017
In theory yes, in practice not so much.
If you want to buy vegan margarine check out the ingredients since some margarines contain milk powder.
>>
>>8790756
Margarine is satanic. Use lard.
>>
>>8792017
Until you get her drunk yes.
>>
>>8792472
No, substitute butter for margarine, substitute lard for crisco.
>>
>>8790756
Despite what all these other people are blathering, yes, there is a reason to use margarine. If you want to bake something crisp, use butter. If you want to bake something soft, use margarine. The fats dramatically alter the texture of the end result.

Same thing with molasses vs. refined sugar. Molasses gives a soft chewy texture.

This is why soft, chewy cookies are made with molasses and margarine.
>>
>>8794420
This explains a lot about my time spent baking while growing up. Margarine and anything "unnatural" was banned from the house, and most of my mom's cook books were written in the 1800s. Could never replicate the delicious texture of the chewy gas station cookies.
>>
>>8794430
Well there ya go!
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.