[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/COWFEE/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 40

File: 1478056261759.png (1MB, 1225x898px) Image search: [Google]
1478056261759.png
1MB, 1225x898px
What is the most feminine beverage and why is it coffee?
>>
>>8785414
Because I dump my cream in it daily?
>>
>>8785414
Post some anime girls drinking coffee
>>
Your semen is, faggot.
>>
How the heck is coffee feminine
>>
Coffee is for real men only
>>
Most cocktails I would say
>>
>>8786112
Fuck off back to /b/, retard.
>>
Strawberry juice?
strawberry milkshake
>>
File: 14916479636901054742968.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
14916479636901054742968.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I drink my morning coffee (s) out of this cup.
>>
>>8786362
Is that one of those cheap plastic buffet cups?
>>
>that first swig of Espresso that feels as thick as yoghurt in your mouth
>>
>>8786374

Yea. I own a restaurant and a few other businesses. I USED to have hundreds of these cups in the attic of our home, in case we needed them there, until we renovated the house and turned it into an actual usable living-space, then they had to go. I salvaged one for personal use.

I usually drink an entire pot of coffee in the morning, every morning, then more coffee or espresso at the diner. Yes I'm Greek/American.
>>
>>8785414
shoo, shoo, weeb.
>>
I prefer gween tea.
>>
>>8786180
It's adherents are limp wristed 3rd wave coffee hipsters, most coffee beverages sold in the US are specialty beverages, which means those sugary coffee milkshakes with a tiny amount of espresso used for flavor, women carry around coffee cups as a fashion accessory, they think it's cute to glorify caffeine dependence with silly mantras like "don't talk to me till I've had my coffee!!", I could keep going.
>>
>>8787020
It's somewhat rare to see girls into third wave coffee tho. Second wave sugary drinks, sure. But serious third wave shops usually don't even carry any flavorings. All about the different single origins.
>>
>>8785414
Anyone here try caffeine pills instead of coffee to get their fix?
>>
>>8787020
>feminine is bad
Go away.
>>
File: roflel.jpg (82KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
roflel.jpg
82KB, 660x495px
>>8787020
>women carry around coffee cups as a fashion accessory
Do women in your area still wear ugg boots?
>>
>>8787733
I have a kilo of pure caffeine.
Pure caffeine is a different "high" than coffee, which also has theobromine, theophylline, and so on. Basically there's less of a body load/high than that associated with coffee, since caffeine is less promiscuous than the other alkaloids, and more CNS effects like wakefulness and alertness. The ultimate effect is less fatiguing and more simultaneously relaxing and wakeful
>>
>>8787020
>third wave coffee
I don't even want to know what that means
>>
>>8786085
This.
>>
>>8788378
so, if I just drink coffee for the caffeine effect I should take caffeine pills instead?
>>
>>8788398
Yes. You can get a jar of 200 pills (200mg each, ~2 cups) for eight bucks at a Vitamin Shoppe. It's obscenely efficient.
>>
>>8788387
Neither does the guy you're replying to. He confused second wave with third wave

Caramel skim pumpkin spice latte made with burned beans roasted six months ago is second wave

Third wave is microlot coffee roasted light last week, ground in an EK43 and brewed from a Kalitta Wave one cup at a time, and consumed black. Or, espresso where "to go" is explicitly disallowed, and you get a little cup of sparkling water with your espresso as a chaser

Second wave is at every strip mall, airport, and gas station in America. Third wave is relatively uncommon outside of places like Seattle, Portland, and so on. In a fairly cultured flyover town like Minneapolis there might be five or six legit third wave shops in the entire metro area, vs hundreds of second wave shops
>>
File: my_type.png (544KB, 500x730px) Image search: [Google]
my_type.png
544KB, 500x730px
Just bought a French press. Where can I get some pretty good coffee? Always been a bit of a tea fag but I'm willing to branch out a bit
>>
>>8788403
>40 grams for eight bucks
You can do better, but that's not bad

>>8788398
>if I just drink coffee for the caffeine effect
Well, the effect you're getting is actually the interplay between several drugs, and when you're used to one it can be jarring to go to the other. But yeah I prefer caffeine only

>>8789196
Costco has great stuff
Make cold brew sometime with the french press, I didn't even notice that normal coffee had something of a "burnt" flavor until I was able to compare the two. It's way smoother
>>
>>8789196
>Just bought a French press
We all make mistakes. If it's not too late, return it and get an aeropress
>>
COWFEE
CHETOOOS
CHICKUUUNNNN
>>
>>8789217
That wasnt the question I asked
>>
File: FB_IMG_1441687151786.jpg (469KB, 1527x2289px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1441687151786.jpg
469KB, 1527x2289px
>>8786086
>>
>>8786362

Nice house, family-fag
>>
File: 1468104891069.jpg (668KB, 1118x985px) Image search: [Google]
1468104891069.jpg
668KB, 1118x985px
How much does whole bean coffee cost in your area?
The only non shit coffee ive been able to find is Costco for ~$4.30/lb which is like $0.21 for 16oz of coffee (1 serving).
>>
>>8788417
What the fuck is first wave then, Dunkin Donuts?
>>
>>8789307
Bellybutton?
Where?
>>
File: 1355537710779.jpg (72KB, 300x340px) Image search: [Google]
1355537710779.jpg
72KB, 300x340px
>>8790028
>>
>>8789830
$7.99 +tax for literally one handful of coffee beans in a foil bag with a hole on the front of it.
Aldi has a pretty good store brand that's really well suited for iced coffee, it might not taste right to everyone but it's only 3-4 dollars for a can.
>>
>>8790028
under the shirt?
>>
>>8790007
No, it's Giuseppe the Eye-Talian who washed up on the shores of Brooklyn 100 years ago and brought his primitive espresso machine with him. Why are you so angry?
>>
>>8788417
So thirdwave should be popular and widespread in a year or so?
>>
>>8785414
Is this animu any good?
Looks cuuute
>>
>>8790576
All anime looks the same. Badly drawn cartoons scribbled by some neckbeard sexually frustrated pedo jap.
>>
>>8790576
Piss off, pedo.
>>
I used to drink 20 cups coffee a day combined with a heavy nicotine addiction. After I quit smoking I somehow didn't enjoy coffee anymore and now I drink Earl Grey and green tea every single day.
>>
>>8790569
It's already widespread. Popular, in the sense I assume you mean, probably not. By definition, something that focuses on the finest of a limited supply of product cannot be popular. It can be relatively more popular than it is now, but it will never reach second-wave levels of popularity.

Second wave was able to become what it was because it was infinitely compatible with the existing supply. That trademark ashy taste of Starbucks, Bustelo, Illy, Lavazza, Peets, etc, is not an accident. If you want to supply 10,000 stores with consistent product, you don't want to taste the beans when the beans are sometimes not so good, sometimes variable in taste and quality. When you buy in that quantity, you need to be able to *always* meet demand, regardless of crop failures, heat waves, and so on. Which means you have to make do with what you get, which means you want people not to taste the beans, but to taste the roast, which means dark roasts. But they can take it a step further. You don't even have to taste the roast. You can just taste the whipped cream and vanilla syrup.

Also, Starbucks can hire any retard who doesn't give a shit about coffee, because it's fast food tier drink assembly. A third wave style store brews and serves stuff that requires training and attention to detail. It doesn't take a genius to pull a good shot, but it's not something that any jackass can do after 2 minutes of training. So, once again, you have a scalability question. Places like Stumptown are trying, but consistency becomes a major challenge once growth takes you to that size. So they're going to have to make a choice: become more like Starbucks, where it's consistently ass quality, or have wildly inconsistent quality (or wildly increased operating costs)
>>
>>8790686
If you work at Starbucks and lnow what youre doing, you can still make a better product than the twat who thinks single origin pour overs are the next cultural revolution
>>
>>8790704
Unfortunately, this is not true
>>
Hey so has anyone tried Ethiopian coffee? Supposedly it has a far more winelike aroma and taste
>>
>>8790720
What do you mean by "Ethiopian coffee"? Ethiopian varietals? Coffee physically grown within the borders of Ethiopia? Coffee grown as per popular perceptions about what makes "Ethiopian" coffee "Ethiopian" (dry process)?
>>
>>8790705
Ive been to plenty of third wave places and they always fuck up on little things that make a big difference

For instance getting an iced americano, theyll put 2 shots and water it down so much with no ice so its just luke warm

And dont tell me "thats not a real drink" its the most basic iced coffee drink to make and i drink it black, no fru fru bs

Also alot of these places rely heavily on the cold brew trend but somehow make it twice as sour and acidic as regular coffee when its supposed to be the opposite
Then theyll do like a himalayan vanilla flavored one that tastes awful, no ice in a beer glass and charge 6 bucks for it. Most customers just add milk and sugar to it even though they say "you dont need it because its naturally creamy and naturally sweet" but thats marketing crap
>>
>>8790731
Ethiopian varietals grown in that region/climate
I think the varietals are actually from yemen originally, but they were only then cultivated on the other side of the red sea iirc
>>
>>8790735
> iced americano
That's already fucked up, why would you do that?

As far as quality problems and catering to customers who don't care about coffee are concerned, what you're describing is precisely the issue that makes it impossible to scale up a third wave coffee shop into a massive, "popular" operation. There are plenty of third wave roasters who fuck up the beans. Plenty of third wave shops who serve shit coffee. I don't even order pourovers from shops because when they're busy (which is always), they're trying to do too many things at once and the entire point of a pourover is defeated if the guy making the coffee is also running the register and making espresso drinks. To solve that problem you need to hire more people and also pay higher wages to pull talent away from other shops and let you be more selective about who you've got making coffee. That increases the cost of doing business and most people are already conflicted about paying $4 for a cup of coffee when Stumptown is charging $3.

That being said, your original point was "if you know what you're doing at Starbucks you can make a better coffee than a third wave twat" which is not true. It's like saying if you work at McDonalds you can make a better hamburger than Keith McNalley. Quality starts with ingredients. Just because some people fuck up good ingredients doesn't change that fact.
>>
>>8785414

Its tea.

Little girls have tea parties and tea time. Hell, brits have tea time too, doesn't get more emasculating than little girls and brits.
>>
>>8790740
The processing is always the #1 factor

Don't worry too much about muh microclimate except to the extent that it determines how the beans are processed
>>
>>8790748
Starbucks cares about its ingredients, its just not feasible to scale up to the level theyre at but they make do with what they can. Alot of third wave places rely on the same workforce that Starbucks does, college aged liberal arts students who either never held a job or used to work fast food/retail.

There are plenty of restaurants Ive been to where its all local, not frozen, prepared fresh, costs 100 dollars for two people and its still mediocre. Its not JUST ingredients because if it were, the restaurant industry would be alot more stable than it is. Alot goes into training, mgmt, and menu variety. Half of Starbucks menu is trash but its still better than going to Dunkin because its not bizarre for you to like the taste of coffee at the former, where in the latter they default sugar and cream you because they dont like coffee for anything but caffeine.

Starbucks also attempts to educate the public about the proper methods and equipment, whereas a third wave wants to pretend it can only be done by artisans with 5 years experience.

If I make an omelette at my house, and care about what im doing, its going to be better than a place making 6 omelettes every 15 mins. Its not only about better product, which im not going to argue that they dont, but theres a reason why people still prefer Maxwell House because you also have to be able to anticipate taste, and preference. NOT try to recruit them into the single origin mentality, and if they dont "get" it, theyre a lost cause or something.
>>
>>8790770
>Starbucks cares about its ingredients
In the same way that Entemanns cares about its ingredients, yeah
>Alot of third wave places rely on the same workforce that Starbucks does
Yes, that's what I said earlier. How are you going to get 3 star michelin consistency on a McDonalds level workforce? You aren't. You just have to hope that the "cool" factor attracts the talent you want, because the minimum wage plus tips certainly isn't going to.
>There are plenty of restaurants Ive been to where its all local, not frozen, prepared fresh, costs 100 dollars for two people and its still mediocre.
Right, and would you say that, therefore, since McDonalds is more predictable, therefore McDonalds is better? That seems to be your argument.
>Starbucks also attempts to educate the public about the proper methods and equipment,
Not really, only in recent years with their "Starbucks Stating Room" which is a response to their own realization that they were going to get eaten alive by third wave shops if they didn't do something. A bit like the sudden interest in increased quality with companies like ABInBevMillerCoors or whatever the fuck they call themselves now
>whereas a third wave wants to pretend it can only be done by artisans with 5 years experience.
Much like the irrational butthurt in sushi threads, that's basically just fantasy on your part.
>>
>>8790792
Entemmans doesnt train their workforce to learn the ins and outs of the donut making process from farm to store. They dont advertise and promote their donut making process as something important or desirable.

And youre making my argument about quality way too black and white. What you said was that ingredients are the most important factor in taste. What Im arguing is not that McDonalds would be better, its that ingredients are one part of a paradigm that also involves experience, knowlegeabilty, customer service and variety. A third wave place does not automatically become better just because they roasted their beans last week. If that were the case, than I could just buy the beans from them and without having any knowledge of how to make coffee, produce the best cup Ive ever had.

As far as the customer education goes, its not just at the Roastery, the stores have like 4 or 5 different brewing methods that customers can be served or purchase themselves.

The sushi thing is usually overexagerrated but it doesnt mean its not partly true. Like sushi, coffee can be upcharged almost indefinitely based on perception of quality. It doesnt mean its inherently better when ingredients are imported or the chefs speak fluent Japanese, but people like to see it and pay extra for it.

People also like to see wood countertops, handdrawn signs, local artwork, glass bottles, fancy coffee mugs, and recent roast dates. But most people dont even know what these things mean, like to an average joe he might think coffee roasted today is the best coffee but thats not true. He might also think that it doesnt matter when it was roasted and thats also not true. But Starbucks wants people to know this information, even though alot of its own coffee is months old, because theyre not worried about scaring customers away who had no idea of what coffee was "supposed" to be the day before. Third wave assumes that you know better, and for some thats great, others its pretentious.
>>
>>8790885
You seem to be confusing my point for something that it isn't. You asked what "third wave" was and how it differed from "second wave". I explained it and you replied with this weird butthurt comment about how Starbucks is better than third wave, which is a reach to put it mildly.

Point being third wave exposes the quality at every step of the way much more than second wave which is designed to hammer out any accidents so that if you're reasonably competent you can have a fairly predictable result.

Second wave sacrifices the possibility of 10/10 coffee in exchange for never getting below 4/10 coffee.

Third wave risks 0/10 coffee but offers the possibility of 10/10 coffee.

These are of course generalizations, "third wave" is not a brand, a company, or an organization. It's just a generic catch-all for a kind of establishment that tends to follow certain fashions as far as brewing and roasting are concerned, inb4 extreme butthurt because I used the word "fashions"
>>
>>8787733
Yeah, at work we have real shit instant, so I started taking caffeine tablets instead. Bit slower to work than liquid caffeine but feel more alert with them
>>
>>8790900
I wasnt the first person you replied to. Im well aware of what third wave is, and ive been to at least 5 places around my city that are part of this trend. The places that do it best are the ones who arent trying to be "The Starbucks killer" and are trying to do their own thing. I dont hate all third wave, but their quality wavers so much that im reticent to try a new place when it opens. Its kind of like all these breweries popping up claiming locality and quality when all they make is some really gross Red Velvet porter or a gross IPA, which I usually prefer.

Lets concede on the fact that third has the potential to supercede the 2nd, but probably wont because of the reasons youve listed about scalability, and that both have their place. If I wanted to try something different, yeah Id go to a place like Stumptown. But to get "good" coffee consistently, and without having to wait 20 mins, Starbucks is a worthy alternatve.

Alot of what third wave is doing is taken from Starbucks and their customer base, but I also realize it works the other way too.
>>
>>8790792
>not 16 years old
>not a girl
>available for more 4 hours per week

Application discarded.
And it's not just Starbucks any more. It's the while workforce. I've lived here 6 years and only one man has acquired a job in city limits. Only did a month at the deli.

>We're hiring!
>doesn't actually hire people

The workforce is really a joke here and I'm in the sticks of appalachia.
>>
>>8790944
im guessing you dont have much experience so the best thing to do is literally apply at every place. Once you run out of places off the top of your head youll find things you didnt think of. My first job was at Panda Express, which I never had been to before and lied about in my interview, and I assumed I wouldnt bother because I wasnt Asian, but it turns out everyone was either white/hispanic besides my boss who was half chinese and spoke fluent spanish.

Try schools, post office, inventory companies, warehouses, dishwashing jobs, overnight stocking etc Half the time they might want you for another job in the same business.
>>
>>8790919
I concede nothing. Third wave is decidedly superior in every way.
>>
>>8788417
Holy shit Kek, this is like that expanding brain meme. Someone please make it
>>
>>8790985
Ok go there and say you dont normally drink coffee and see how quickly they scoff and dont help you and then make a 10 minute luke warm pourover
>>
>>8790915
why not just get enough sleep dude
>>
>>8791026
>walk into a steak restaurant
>I don't like meat, but the customer is always right. make me happy bloodmouth carnist. oh nice shirt btw did you get fired from your bank teller job? LMAO lighten up it's just a joke. you want a tip? here's a tip get a real job!
>one star. waitstaff was rude and scoffed at me
>>
>>8791056
>autism:the post
>>
>>8790007
Folgers in a percolator
>>
>>8790735
No serious coffee should should serve an Americano, iced or otherwise.
>>
Coffee is only feminine if you get one if those sugary concoctions make at Starbucks.

Coffee with some combination of milk (whole or 2%), and/or a little sugar is patrician.
>>
>>8791556
It should should only be an espresso in a demitasse cup right? Try living where its 90° outside everyday sipping your Ehithiopian Yirgacheffe
>>
>>8785414

I say diet coke. I don't think I've seen a man drink diet coke.
>>
>>8789307

One day someone will have to explain to me why women are always so oblivious to open windows when walking around indecent.

Just last week I was leaving some girl's place and she followed me through her kitchen naked and I turn and stare back and forth between her and her open window above the kitchen sink that lines up with the neighbor's windows. And she's like "What?" I swear this happens all the time. I mean, not with her, but just in general.

Situational awareness impediment based on sex? I only meet shameless whores? Who knows?
>>
>>8791696
Any middle aged man drinks it at home, like 24 packs every 2 days. I think it helps curb cigarette dependency.
>>
>>8791677
>a small cup of hot liquid consumed indoors is totally incompatible with living in a hot climate
Doesn't seem to bother Arabs, Colombians, Brazilians, Italians, etc...
>>
>>8791878
Theyre still on the 1st wave though anon, i thought you wanted to be cool?
>>
>>8791890
They'd be 0th wave, actually. And I am cool, because I can drink a 25ml cup of espresso indoors without keeling over from an acute attack of the mimsies. I must be some kind of superhuman I guess.
>>
>>8785414
WRONG
tea is the ultimate feminine beverage.
Coffee is for men who need to get up in the morning and get things done. Coffee is a tool, tea is a luxury.
>>
>>8791948
By that metric coffee is also a luxury because it has no nutritional value and people drink it often enough that it stops having any effect and they become dependent on it just to function normally.
It's vain and frivolous, with no utility, that sounds pretty feminine to me.
>>
>>8791971
>drinking anything but water is feminine
OK
>>
>>8791677
Theo do Japanese style flash brew pourover. There's nothing wrong with ice and coffee, it's everything about the Americano. Iced or otherwise.

Also I do still go straight espresso when it's 90-100°f and extremely humid. It's a small drink, it doesn't have enough thermal mass to heat you up like brewed coffee. And you should NEVER consume any coffee when it's hot, it should be just warm.
>>
>>8792175
>And you should NEVER consume any coffee when it's hot, it should be just warm.
Very smart comment.
But many people are ignorant to this fact,
same as they are ignorant to not drinking iced cold water with their (warm-hot) food.
And stupid restaurants are serving water with ice thinking that they are doing favor to those stupid customers.
>>
File: Arabica_Robusta coffee beans.jpg (28KB, 800x309px) Image search: [Google]
Arabica_Robusta coffee beans.jpg
28KB, 800x309px
After numerous tests making the same coffee with Aeropress and moka pot (I use stainless steel model moka pot not the aluminum model)
I come to conclusion that I like taste and flavor of coffee made in moka pot much better.
Aeropress coffee tastes weaker thinner, not so full flavor bodied as coffee made in moka pot.
With Aeropress I use metal filter supplied with it, (not the paper filters) so both A-press and moka pot have very similar filtration systems.
And coffee beans I use are medium roast, (100%Arabica) from local very reputable roaster, but I'm going to buy good quality Robusta beans to experiment with them,
and to also get almost the double the amount of caffeine from Robusta coffee beans compared with the Arabica beans.

I'm thinking of starting drinking (good quality Robusta) medium roast Robusta coffee in the morning (after or with the breakfast,never on the empty stomach) for the extra caffeine blast,
and after work in the evening I will drink 100%Arabica more for the fine taste and flavors of it and much less caffeine.

Arabica vs. Robusta what’s the real deal?
http://www.barkingdogroasters.com/our-coffee/arabica-vs-robusta/
>>
>>8791911
Unemployment does sound pretty chill
>>
>>8790028
not everyone has bellybuttons anon
>>
>>8792692
make sure you are not confusing them with anuses
>>
OK let's start here;
>>8792908
>The trouble with moka pot is that aluminum
>>8792671
>(I use stainless steel model moka pot not the aluminum model)

>>8792908
>but without knowing your grinds,
same setting on the coffee grinder for coffee made with Aeropress and with moka pot
>and your brew times,
brew time for moka pot is what it is,as you know it, with the Aeoropress I tried the suggested 45-60 seconds brew time before pushing on the plunger,
and I also left the coffee brewing for 5 to 7 minutes (same as in french press) before pushing on the plunger of Aeropress.
And I use the same amount of coffee in both devices.
Aeropress coffee tastes good,nothing wrong with it, but just my personal observation that I prefer taste of coffee made in my moka pot.
>>
>>8793069
>You ever consider something in a reasonable range? Say, 2:00-3:30?
actually yes, I went through several different time ranges with my Aeropress including 2 to 3 minutes (and I did it few times) to make sure I can "taste-remember" how the coffee tasted.

>>8793069
>Also what is your beanwater ratio
I must say that I don't understand what you mean here.
Aeropress is what it is, I was filling the Aeropress tube-container to the top with water, and I used the same amount of water in my moka press,
so both devices got the same amount of water to the same amount of coffee grinds.
>>
>>8793227
OK understand.
But I don't measure how much water I pour into my Aeropress, I just pour water to the rim.
I measured how much it is and I pour the same amount into my moka pot.
>>
>>8793259
>I measured how much it is and I pour the same amount into my moka pot.
actually in my moka pot I add almost one ounce of water extra because there is always that much left on the bottom after brewing in moka pot.
>>
>>8790995

calm down, reddit.
>>
Guess we are having an actual thread, how the fuck do I clean a french press? I rinse the glass part (beaker?) out until it stops smelling like old coffee, dissemble the plunger and rinse the grounds out then plunge it in the water-filled beaker 15 or so times but this takes forever.
>>8792671
Robusta is just going to be extremely bitter, there's a reason it's only used for filler and instant coffee
>>
>>8793292
>muh reddit
Go away, reddit
>>
>>8786393

>I usually drink an entire pot in the morning

Confirmed for not buying locally roasted, sensibly sourced single origin coffee.
>>
>>8793428
You can brew a whole pot of fancy coffee.
>>
>>8793428
>Confirmed for not buying locally roasted, sensibly sourced single origin coffee.
Confirmed for overpaying for garbage-tier coffee.
>>
>>8793434

Yeah if you want to place your mortgage up for auction because you spent all your money on coffee beans.

A single carafe of coffee is 750 ml or 750 grams of water. At a solid 1:15 ratio, that equates to 50 grams of coffee per carafe. If I were to buy my preferred beans (Kokanna, Ethiopia, locally roasted at $18.00/lb, which sounds overpriced but they are magical beans) it would be.... jesus christ it's $1.98 per carafe even when you buy the most expensive coffee. That's cheaper than the smallest black coffee at Starbucks. Holy shit.

>>8793450

bruh don't even try and trigger me bro I'm already assblasted from this thread
>>
>>8793302
>Robusta is just going to be extremely bitter,
yes I agree on that, but I noticed that extra caffeine (almost double the amount in Robusta) is what sometimes I like to experience in the morning,
that's why I will be looking for high quality Robusta beans not the crappy low quality crap.
But my preferable coffee is of course 100%Arabica (with the understanding the there are different levels of quality with Arabica beans as well).
>>
File: No_Starbucks_Coffee.jpg (91KB, 808x768px) Image search: [Google]
No_Starbucks_Coffee.jpg
91KB, 808x768px
>>8793499
>it would be.... jesus christ it's $1.98 per carafe even when you buy the most expensive coffee. That's cheaper than the smallest black coffee at Starbucks. Holy shit.
I just heard on Secret Scanner that hit man from Starbucks were dispatched to your location. kek
>>
>>8793499
>bro I'm already assblasted from this thread
should I post few scientific medical factual articles talking about health hazards (cancer causing) of dark roasted charred burnt coffee beans, or toxic molds growing on green coffee beans
to turbo blast your assblastering state of mind. lol
>>
>>8793573

>charred coffee beans

Kek, I haven't drank anything darker than a tan roast in years
>>
>>8793579
>Kek, I haven't drank anything darker than a tan roast in years
you are smart and lucky anon, I just learned about this dark roast charred crap coffee secrets few months ago.
I'm not buying or drinking dark roasted coffee any more, just medium roast (or lower sometimes).

Very interesting site with great pictures.
https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/content/using-sight-determine-degree-roast

Using Sight to Determine Degree of Roast.
Color is just one of the ways to determine degree of roast. By itself, it is of limited use. When complemented by the audible cues (first and second crack) and the aromas of the roast process, it is extremely informative.
Here's a video showing the color changes that occur during roasting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYy47C0Xw0I
>>
>>8793635

good on you, the lightest roast is where it's at. None of the delicate flavonoids are destroyed in the roasting process. My coffee tastes more like tea sometimes.
>>
File: buff person from side.jpg (79KB, 680x1020px) Image search: [Google]
buff person from side.jpg
79KB, 680x1020px
>>8790028
she has abs
>>
>>8789196
if you live in a city, there's probably a decent roaster near you, otherwise you're stuck ordering online or roasting your own
also http://www.jimseven.com/2010/11/04/cupping-vs-french-press/
>>
pink wine is the most feminine
>>
>>8787752
He's not wrong tho
>>
File: coffee beans .jpg (122KB, 1024x439px) Image search: [Google]
coffee beans .jpg
122KB, 1024x439px
>>8793831
>is the most feminine
coffee beans are very feminine
just look at them they look like pussies
>>
>>8789260
fuck off and die
>>
>>8790720
I've had a lot of ethiopian coffees, some are the best I've ever had, some are winey and fruity, some really aren't
a lot of ethiopian stuff is natural processed (lots of sun, water's expensive, traditional way of doing things, etc.) which leads to a "winier" taste, supposedly because of cherry-fermentation. this is more true for meme sidamos, and less for a lot of yirgacheffes (meme yirg-z's especially). ethiopia's a really big place, with more varietals than everywhere else on earth combined, and crazy difference in terroir. you should go to a coffee shop near you with tastings/cuppings some time, and ask to try multiple things prepared the same way and think about the difference between what you taste
>>
>>8793499
>bruh don't even try and trigger me bro I'm already assblasted from this thread
I'm not joking or trying to troll, they take so many fucking shortcuts and really don't give a fuck about quality. It's large distributors that tend to actually do it right
>>
what are your usual brewing processes?
my cups are mostly hario skerton->clever dripper, but I'm pretty disillusioned with the grinder and don't seem to get anywhere near the fidelity/cleanliness of a cup from a decent cafe
I'm thinking about lido/feldgrind, but even being a fucking nerd for this stuff it's hard to stomach $200 for a grinder
>>8793901
more likely to be true*
i.e. most yirg-z's are washed, something something delicacy, something something "preservation of original flavor"
inb4 natural defeners, I like natural coffees too
>>
>>8793517
Drink arabica and top it off with some caffeine pills
>>
>>8793930
in that case might as well skip both and just do coke. kek
>>
>>8793926
Honestly I got this grinder for free when I bought my french press and it works infinitely better than some $50+ electric burr grinders I've tried; I get minimal powder with this (a small enough amount that it doesn't contribute to any bitterness) while said electrics resulted in a sludge tasting of charcoal
https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Grinder-Conical-Professional-Ceramic/dp/B01JOMO5FA/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01JOMO5FA&pd_rd_r=7TMAR2PMCAHN69CR0DAS&pd_rd_w=JxcZa&pd_rd_wg=UotEd&psc=1&refRID=7TMAR2PMCAHN69CR0DAS
>>
>>8793901
>appeal to nature: the post
>>
>>8793950
is it true that when using electric coffee grinders the electromagnetic charge from them is destroying the delicate flavors and oils inside the coffee beans and that's why best is to use manual hand grinders
>>
>>8793901
where did I appeal to nature, I like washed and natural coffees
I'm saying there's a big difference between ethiopian coffees so saying "they're winey" doesn't really mean anything, that cherry-fermentation can produce that "winey" taste and is derived from natural processing where the cherry stays on the bean for a while, and that talking/thinking about coffees in isolation doesn't mean much or help you, alongside a suggestion of coffees that may match or not match his description
what did you think I said, or what did you take issue with?
>>
>>8793962
That sounds like complete fucking nonsense, this one just goes for quality over convenience in terms of speed/quantity
>>
>>8793950
Nowhere near good enough. You need at least a Feldgrind tier grinder for decent coffee. It's only better than your old electric since the cheap electrics are literal garbage.

>>8793962
No, not at all.
>>
>>8793971
>just keeps using baseless buzzwords like "natural" and "traditional" over and over which says absolutely nothing about the quality
>wonders why it's a fallacy
>>
>>8793950
the lido is (from what I've heard) on par with $3-400+ grinders for non-espresso grinds, even a $130ish baratza is still below it
I saw people on /ck/ had both in the archive, and was hoping they'd see it and be able to comment
thanks though
>>8793971
>>8793954
fuck I'm stupid
>>
>>8793983
Natural process is literally the name of the process. It's not a descriptor. It's just what the process is called.
>>
>>8793983
you're retarded or I'm being b8'd
natural is the name of the process, and it's the traditional way beans were processed before mills were brought to ethiopia
http://mammothespresso.com/natural-vs-washed-coffee-processing/
>>
>>8793979
Are you trolling or just actually retarded?
>if I pay a lot it means it's worth the money!
>>8793984
Like every board, there's two types of idiots who will argue vehemently
>MY $.20 ELECTRIC GRINDER IS JUST AS GOOD AS $1,000 GRINDERS YOU'RE ALL JUST SNOBS
and
>ANYTHING THAT ISN'T MADE BY MY $1,000 GRINDER IS ABSOLUTELY UNDRINKABLE
>>
>>8793983
>>8793992
sorry to post so much, but to extrapolate, I'm saying that's why so many ethiopian coffees are natural-processed, it wasn't a value judgement
>>
>>8793987
>>8793992
>>8794002
My bad then, I'm too used to jumping all over idiots who use "natural" as a selling point and shit all over everything else
>>
>>8794001
Your grinder has a garbage burr and is poorly aligned. A Feldgrind for $150ish will easily last you a lifetime, and produce actually good coffee. You can not make good coffee with your grinder. The uneven grind inherent to the design will not let you push >20% extraction yeild without tasting like shit:
>>
>>8793923

>It's large distributors that tend to actually do it right

The audacity of that statement. There are plenty of ways to fuck up coffee, but the most important distinction between mass produced coffee and local roasters is that local roasters make a point to source from smaller family farms, and more attention to detail is applied during the roasting process. Neither can be said about the multi-billion dollar counterparts.

Saying the larger coffee distributors "tend to actually do it right" just completely underestimates the sheer volume of the coffee they are distributing.
>>
>>8794013
>these roasters who have less turnover, far less sophisticated equipment, technology and resources as do their growers will surely have a better product, why else would I be paying more for it?
Personally I'd rather purchase from somebody who knows what the fuck they're doing, especially for something that requires a precision process. Sam's Club and Costco's store brands actually have very good coffee whereas every time I've bought local, even with really good reviews it's been unimpressive at best.
>>
>>8794011
If you're shitting on the electric go ahead, but my $15 manual burr grinder leaves virtually no dust. If you want to keep trying to justify overpaying, go ahead but you're getting significant diminishing returns after a point
>>
sorry for starting like 3 flame wars by the way
>>8794001
but those're logical extremes that don't mean anything, I agree with the guy you're shitting on in this post
the skerton doesn't give a consistent grind at any particle size, and it shows up in the coffee I make. what I said originally was that I can't make as good a cup of coffee as a barista can, and I want to get a grinder that can help me do so
>>8794013
I mostly agree with this, larger operations can't have a supply chain delivering freshly roasted coffee and don't have the autism/care required to fine-tune every roast properly. large-scale "third wave" roasters (intelligentsia, stumptown, etc. even pre-buyouts) start slipping once they get over a certain size and I don't think anything can be done to fix that. the sourcing point is true too, but I think mostly because it delivers small amounts of distinct beans instead of getting muddled in volume
>>8794010
but even not knowing what natural processing was, my original post doesn't have positive connotations, it just mentions the word. no offense, but you could also stand to be less aggressive, especially with regards to something you don't fully understand
>>
>>8793962
I believe that electromagnetic field that electric motors emit in coffee grinders could affect very negatively quality of coffee.
Electromagnetic fields are known to affect lab animals and plants so why not coffee beans being grounded in such close proximity to electromagnetic discharge.
If you really care about the quality of coffee you drink I would definitely stay away from using electric grinders.
Just ask any experienced barista and they will tell you that hand grinders are the best.
>>
>>8794039
>the skerton doesn't give a consistent grind at any particle size, and it shows up in the coffee I make. what I said originally was that I can't make as good a cup of coffee as a barista can, and I want to get a grinder that can help me do so
Because logical extremes are all 4chan knows. There's a difference between not buying a garbage grinder paying an exorbitant amount for something that'll have a 2% difference over something a fifth of its price
>>
>>8794031
It's not about dust; it's about particle distribution. A grinder NEEDS to be perfectly aligned, and perfectly stable, with a good burrset to produce an even distribution. Your grinder fails on all three fronts.

Diminishing returns do exist, but they don't start there. Or even close to there.

A blade grinder or cheap electric grinder is absolute trash that can't make an even close to ok cup of coffee. A cheap hand grinder, like yours, can make okish coffee, but never good. A Feldgrind or Lido can make consistently good, even consistently great, coffee for under $200. For $600 ish you can push out maybe an extra 10% quality or so with a Bunn grinder fitted with Ditting burrs. For around $2300 you can push out an extra 2% or so with an EK43.

This is all easily measurable with refractometers as well as immediately evident in taste.
>>
>>8794046
Your grinder is trash. There is no even decent grinder below $150. Yet anyway, the new Knock Aergrind looks very promising for like $75 iirc.
>>
>>8794031
it's not just about fines, but about even particle distribution, fines is more of a sieving issue (though that's kind of autistic and won't be adopted until it becomes trivial/automatic)
http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/grinder-studies-by-socratic-coffee-t38826.html
there's more of these kinds of things around looking at particle size, but it definitely bears thinking about for pretty obvious reasons (inconsistent extraction is an objectively weaker cup)
>>8794046
if you're who I responded to, you're going further than the other guy though, and not contributing anything to the discussion by beating your chest at him
>>
sup cwd
>>
>>8794040
I noticed that since I had wireless internet installed in my place the quality of my coffee went down significantly and since I'm using the same coffee beans I was scratching my head why,
but now I think I got my answer, the interference from wireless internet "the electronic pollution" is making my coffee taste so shitty.
I might switch my internet connection back to cable if that's the case.
>>
>>8794070
Hey just lemme yell at this guy, I don't get to be a dick on moderated forums
>>
>>8794076

Somewhere Vince Fedele is crying right now.
>>
>>8794088
I'll send Atago customer support to cheer him up.
>>
>>8794076
what forums do you read?
you don't need to out yourself and I won't post chan bullshit on them, but there's a lot of specialty forums that all seem dead, and I don't know where (outside of instagram which is cancerous) to go for recent discussions of coffee
>>
>>8794058
>>8794062
Why don't you assholes address the real reasons why coffee tastes like shit from using electric grinders and bombarding it with electromagnetic emissions
that kill living organisms and are rearrange the molecular structures of proteins, oils and sugars inside of the coffee beans.
Unless your expensive fancy electric coffee grinder is magnetically shielded like audio speakers are your money is wasted on fancy expensive grinders they will still negatively
affect taste of your fancy organic coffee with the electromagnetic emissions.
>>
>>8794104
I thought this was b8 but I also don't have to answer to you because both of the grinders I'm thinking about are hand-grinders
>>
>>8794110
>both of the grinders I'm thinking about are hand-grinders
yes hand grinders are safe and also they provide bit of exercise so I support them as proper devices to avoid electromagnetic pollution and to provide exercise
>>
>>8794098
Mostly HomeBarista. /r/coffee or /r/espresso if I want to get really mad at everything. Coffeegeek every now and then even though it's dead. Perger's Facebook even though Perger is a bit silly at times and Facebook is trash. Some Instagram, mostly SocraticCoffee, Kafatek, and Lyn Weber.

Only really participate in the first two. And some smaller chats. And of course in person conversations with other enthusiasts. You can easily tell who fits the bill at third wave shops, and they're usually excited to talk to someone else whose also into coffee.

>>8794104
Better use your hand grinder in a faraday cage. Don't want Earth's magnetic field deactivating your coffee's chakras or whatever.
>>
>>8794161
thanks. what are the chats? like digital conversations with people who know what they're talking about?
I'm too autistic to blind-talk to people in real life about coffee and only one of my friends half-cares, the rest think I'm insane or only tolerate it
I read /r/coffee sometimes but I don't know how to read reddit properly and don't want an account so I basically visit once a month sorted to top/month and read until I get angry about stupid shit or the culture and stop
wish this place was less of a shithole
>>
>>8794161
>Better use your hand grinder in a faraday cage. Don't want Earth's magnetic field deactivating your coffee's chakras or whatever.
stop making fun of it, if you are uneducated on the topic say so but by being sarcastic you will not gain the knowledge, or maybe your job is to deny this scientific fact same as many roasters
are hiding and denying health hazards (cancers) from drinking dark roast charred coffee and selling it to unsuspecting customers at regular prices knowing that dark roasted coffee beans
are of very low shitty quality that should be sold at 1/2 or 1/3 of the price.

you don't agree that electromagnetic pollution is affecting living organisms, do you?
so why you think it would not affect freshly grounded coffee beans that has living molecules inside, unless of course if is dark roasted and everything that was alive inside of that coffee bean
was killed with excessive heat and is now dead dark/black charred coffee bean that has no nutritional value any more but actually become a cancerous poison.
>>
>>8794210
I'll shoot you some stuff if you have an email or something. I don't really want to overrun any chat with 4chan folk.

>>8794213
Why are you even on 4chan? The electromagnetic radiation from your computer is killing you. Go back to drinking distilled water in a concrete cube. Your argument is so totally fabricated, and inconsistent (why doesn't Earth's magnetism, solar flares, wifi, static electricity from manual grinding, or radio broadcasts also ruin coffee?) that it's like trying to refute the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Nobody has any comprehensive evidence against it because nobody cares.

Except a few old blind tests of grinders, those are pretty outdated now, but still don't look good for you. One manual grinder made it in the Titan project tests. Spoiler: it did terribly.
>>
>>8794235
this >>8794040
>>8794072
>I noticed that since I had wireless internet installed in my place the quality of my coffee went down significantly and since I'm using the same coffee beans I was scratching my head why,
>but now I think I got my answer, the interference from wireless internet "the electronic pollution" is making my coffee taste so shitty.
>I might switch my internet connection back to cable if that's the case.
>>
>>8794235
[email protected]
you don't have to send me anything too personal, but if you have a wider thing I'd be interested/appreciative (either symposiumish or more open discussion, though I don't know how much I could contribute)
>>
>>8794246
Ok, so what about radio waves you can't shut off, cell phone towers, satellite signals, solar activity, and the Earth's own magnetism? Even the wiring in your house produces some EM signal. And if you have any CFLs or really anything with a transformer in it, then forget about no em radiation even in a 20' thick wall concrete cube with a faraday cage.

>>8794247
Sent
>>
>>8794266
Recognize that electromagnetic pollution in electric coffee grinder is very close to the coffee beans and it's negative destructive effects are very real on atomic and molecular level.
That's why manual coffee grinders are safest to use and not to affect quality of your freshly grounded coffee if you really care about it, but if you like to drink brown water then of course your
arrogant and ignorant attitude is fully understood here.
Carry on being a poser that you are a real coffee aficionado.
>what a shame

>>8794104
>Unless your expensive fancy electric coffee grinder is magnetically shielded like audio speakers are your money is wasted on fancy expensive grinders they will still negatively
>affect taste of your fancy organic coffee with the electromagnetic emissions.
>>
>>8794290
Manual grinders still produce static electricity. Better use an obsidian scalpel to disassemble your beans.
>>
>>8794299
>Manual grinders still produce static electricity.
don't be silly now, you would have to spin them very fast to create such destructive emissions that regular electric grinders produce
>>
What about belt drive grinders (like say a Versalab) or grinders with burrs far away from the motor (like eg-1). I'm curious how far your ridiculous paranoia spreads, when somehow wifi is damaging but cell signals aren't.
>>
File: youcanuseit.jpg (53KB, 625x343px) Image search: [Google]
youcanuseit.jpg
53KB, 625x343px
>accidentally cracked my Bodum French Press glass on the sink at last night before bed
>drove several miles walmart and bought a cheap one (18 bucks) at midnight so I could have coffee this morning
>took the glass out of the new one and stuck it my old one
>tossed the broken glass in the trash
>went to bed
>woke up today
>had tasty coffee
>decided to take trash out
>whack bag with my foot
>broken glass slices through the skin on the knuckle of my big toe
>2 inch long gaping wound
>can see my tendons and cartridge and muscle
>hobble to the kitchen for paper towels blood pouring everywhere then to the bathroom for band-aids
>all my band-aids are old and shitty
>blood everywhere
>neosporin is expired
>pour isopropil alcohol on it
>scream
>need stitches, but don't want to go to hospital
>use super-glue
>feels like a giant chunk of sharp plastic in my wound
>so much blood

I hate coffee
>>
>>8794333
And that's why you put sharps in a sturdy container.
>>
>>8794312
stop speculating, just use hand manual grinders if you really care about quality of your coffee.
it's not paranoia, those are basic scientific facts, study electromagnetism and you will understand how it affects living organisms and how it contributes to rapid decay of organic matter.
coffee is known for losing it's freshness very rapidly and electromagnetic emissions are speeding up this process on atomic and molecular levels, dummy
>>
>>8794345
I do have a very nice manual grinder: a Lido 3. I far prefer both my Bunnzilla (Bunn G1 with a Ditting KR804 burr swap) and my Lyn Weber EG-1 to it.
>>
Is electromagnetism the rotational velocidensity of /coffee/?
>>
>>8794345
>my utter delusions are basic science

Please seek help
>>
>>8794333
333 wow,
you must have the famous "french press curse", don't buy or use that crappy device to make coffee, they are way overrated
>>
>>8794356
>not just using an aluminum french press if you're an autistic klutz
>>
>>8794353
>>8794355
keep grinding you coffee with electric grinders and marvel why your coffee tastes like crap
you are so backwards in understanding basic laws of physics, you are so limited in your perception of science it hurts, might as well you switch to drinking instant coffee you would not know the difference anyway
>>
>>8794372
Tasting the difference now isn't the reason to switch to manual grinders. Manual grinders have lossless emissions, while electric blade grinders are 'lossy'. What this means is that for each turn the grinder makes to produce your coffee, it will lose roughly 12 bioactive molecules, assuming you're on 120v - it's about 15 bioactive molecules on 240v, but only 7 bioactive molecules on 110v, due to electromagnetic velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is with conical grinders.
>>
>>8794350
you might prefer them on some personal level but the negative destructive electromagnetic emissions are doing their "killing" of your freshly grounded coffee
>>
>>8794394
Wanna fly out to me and I'll make you some cups with each to blind test?

And then I'll show you some refractometer measurements to back up the difference in extraction scientifically.

Oh wait. The flight will deactivate your almonds with negative energy from the ionosphere or whatever.

>>8794392
What about grinders with low voltage DC motors?
>>
>>8794392
very freaking impressive but with manual grinder you will never achieve the speed (the revolutions, the RPM) of electric grinder, so your presentation is just scare tactics
>>
>>8794411
no need for your basement tests.
real tests were done few years ago in Switzerland by some of the scientist working on the CERN Evil Collider and the findings are solid.
stop fighting with facts anon
>>
>not using a hatchet to cut beans

http://m.imgur.com/a/VXW3y
>>
>>8794426
so you assholes went from coffee grinders to CERN hadron collider and managed to tie them togheter.
not bad fuckers not bad at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFvnONVM4_U
>>
File: 57c.jpg (290KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
57c.jpg
290KB, 857x1202px
>>8790995
4u
>>
>>8789196
I buy from victrola coffee in Seattle, but i also live like 45 minutes north of Seattle so shipping times are like, a day. I could drive, but fuck Seattle traffic and drivers.

Look for roasters in your area and try some blends. After a while, if you're interested, you can try some single origins beans to see how beans from different areas taste completely different.
>>
>>8790576
I found it boring even though I sat through 5 episodes desu.
>>
>>8789830
Sysadmin-senpai, is that actually you?
>>
>>8790576
Mind-meltingly sweet kawaii 2sugoi4u diabeetus bullshit

I absolutely love it and pray to God every day for season 3 to be announced

Syaro a best
>>
File: dwango.jpg (53KB, 638x496px) Image search: [Google]
dwango.jpg
53KB, 638x496px
>>8794372
>>8794394
EE here. Holy shit.

What if I told you there were moving electrons in your beans, right now? That you get more EMI from the lightning that strikes the earth 44 times a second than your 60 Hz main power? Truly a miracle that you haven't been ionized, friend
>>
>>8785414
Pretty sure coffee isnt feminine or masculine it's just coffee...
>>
>>8794567
you are wrong
>>8793884
>>
>>8793302
I just scrub the plunger lid and both sides of the filter with a soapy sponge.
Then I scrub the beaker like I would a drinking glass.
There's absolutely no reason to take the plunger apart every time.
I do it once every 6 months maybe, and that's mostly because the plunger screw head is stripped and I need a pair of pliers to unscrew it.
>>
>>8788417
>implying a kalita wave is sufficiently expressive and extracts well enough to be used in my rustic futurechrome cafe with my artisan-crafted hand-tuned poursteady
>implying the seltzer water is a chaser and not a palate cleanser
baka this is 2.3rd wave at best
>>
>>879452
please don't be closed minded,please stop acting like your scull is full of nothing
>>8794290
>>
>>8785414
How is trader joes for coffee?
>>
>>8795591
Don't dude.
>>
>>8794046
but a skerton *is* a garbage grinder
>>
>>8794333
>not returning the old broken glass for a refund
lmao your life must be shit
>>
>>8795591
I gave them 3 chances, I was disappointed every time.
Their beans are completely stale, years stale, their medium roasts taste like dust.
Not even walmart folgers is this stale.
Their only mildly decent shit are the dark roasts because you only taste the roast and not the beans, but it's overpriced at $9/lb so don't bother.
>>
>>8795694
who's coffee you are pushing here on /ck/ ?
you know that your post is full of shit and it's obvious that you are spreading lies and have an agenda
>>
>>8790885
are you just an asshole or socially awkward in real life or something? Most people who work in coffee are happy to suggest or briefly explain something at the register any time, or in depth during downtime, and a lot of shops run tastings and cuppings to get people at any level involved in coffee. Why do you think they all stock basic brew stuff and entry level grinders?
Regardless, if you walk into starbucks and say "I don't usually drink coffee," you always get a shit coffee made from stale burnt beans (and I don't say this blindly, I drank a load of starbucks and still do when traveling in the middle of nowhere ) no matter how inoffensive the barista was. A third wave shop can often make you something good to great and will almost always make something strictly better than Starbucks despite the perceived atmosphere
you should try what you suggested and see how it goes
>>
>>8795714
Alright go enjoy your overpriced swill garbage.
TJ is utter shit.
>>
>>8795593
>>8795694
I'm really just trying to find a place to get good coffee
>>
>>8793259
Well if you measure the amount of water the aeropress can hold, each time you can subtract the bean mass in grams from it, convert l->kg and you have the amount of water
measuring coffee/water ratio is like consistent grinding or brew timing, it's a basic thing that helps with consistency and improving your coffee by understanding it
>>
>>8793428

I don't care about blood-harvest coffee or the itty bitty kiddies picking the beans in 3rd world shitholes. I've a business to run, I buy coffee wholesale through Sysco for the diner and take a few containers home with me for personal use.
>>
File: bitchtits mcfuckface.jpg (104KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
bitchtits mcfuckface.jpg
104KB, 600x456px
>>8794527
>Syaro a best
>>
>>8794333
>tape up foot as best I can and hobble to my car and buy bunch of new first aid gear from cvs
>get home and properly clean and close up gaping wound with combo of liquid bandaid, butterfly banages, and colorful sport knuckle banage
>works great
>later that night stick a sock over it and go to bed
>lay in bed worrying I will fuck it up while asleep
>wake up next morning and it feels a little better
>manage to do my exercises like normal without any problems
>make tasty coffee again with my new-ish press
>stick a plastic bag over foot and close it with rubber bands and take a shower
>change dressings after shower and it's actually closed up and started healing already

I love coffee
>>
File: coffeetism.jpg (548KB, 2829x1590px) Image search: [Google]
coffeetism.jpg
548KB, 2829x1590px
Post your setup
>>
>>8796695
Are you making meth?
>>
File: 1447081754465.gif (105KB, 351x398px) Image search: [Google]
1447081754465.gif
105KB, 351x398px
>>8794333
>throw glass in trash
>decide to kick the fucking trashbag that has glass shards in it

fucking casuals
>>
>>8795743

Well then just admit that quality is no longer a factor.
>>
>>8796860

Profit is the only factor in buying coffee for a diner. Idiot. Cheapest coffee that tastes best. Simple.
>>
>>8796868

Thanks for clearing that up. Now that you've confessed that profit is the only concern in your decision of which coffee to buy, might I point you in the direction of literally any other thread on this board that you may contribute to.
>>
>tfw Can't stand the thin mouthfeel and burnt flavor of black coffee so I always settle for Mochas.

Granted I've mostly only gone to mostly chains, and only a few local roasters.
I'm usually a purist when it comes to consuming spirits(neat, no ice, rarely ingest cocktails), beer (prefer pure styles to hybrid with artificial ingredients/adjuncts), and water. (No pH change, no fizz, no flavoring). Wat do?
>>
>>8796744
Yes, but my meth setup isn't pictured
>>
>>8796894

There's more than enough room for the 2 of us ITT coffee sperg.
>>
>>8796947

You can't say a single good thing about your coffee besides that it's cheap. gtfo
>>
>>8785414
So how much should I expect to pay for locally bought coffee? I have a few places here but considering I live in the hipster bullshit capital of Colorado, anything goes
>>
>>8797114

It tastes good for the price, I've already stated this.
>>
>>8797173

It's brown hot water that you've deluded yourself into thinking it "tastes good" by dousing with cream and sugar and turning into a milkshake
>>
>>8797124
>local roaster

dont
>>
>>8794474
underrated
>>
I'm scared to start drinking coffee. Can we pray please.
>>
>>8797124
Depends if you have a good one in town. A lot of "local roasters" are kinda trash. Too dark, low quality beans, underdeveloping the coffee trying to be light, etc. I'm lucky enough to have a great one by me.

Their prices range with the price of the greens they buy, I've seen anywhere from $16-$30 for 1lb. If you count other places I've bought from, I've paid anywhere from like $10-$40. The higher end of that tends to be more exotic coffees or really special roasters that I only very rarely buy from.

Most of the coffee I drink I buy green for under $7/lb and roast myself. But there's a very substantial investment in gear for that.
>>
File: 1491859517686.jpg (63KB, 639x740px) Image search: [Google]
1491859517686.jpg
63KB, 639x740px
>>8796695
What the fuck is this supposed to be? A cut up truck-bed hard top?
>>
>>8798432
It's the roof to my Miata. It lives inside except in winter.
>>
>>8798432
That looks like a $248.99 futuristic platinum white feline friend companion hideout shack with wifi enabled.
You can get them anywhere that idiots buy stuff that their pets don't use.
>>
>>8798432
I think it's a portable toilet positioned close to the coffee making table when anon get runny shits from his shitty coffee.
>>
>>8796695
you have too much leeway to spend money on this
it's not even the autism grinder that bothers me, why did you pay like $150 for a scale
>>
File: 1489955194331.png (5KB, 365x241px) Image search: [Google]
1489955194331.png
5KB, 365x241px
>>8796695
>when you waste this much effort over something that does not matter
>>
>>8798668
Look at his table the metal edge is all dirty like shithole in outhouse, the place is dump, look at the dirty walls and baseboards on the left under the window.
I doubt it that all that set up is even his. Must be some temporary set up to take picture so he can post it on /ck/
>>
>>8798683
no, it's his, this guy posted before, he lives in the middle of nowhere and only spends his money on coffee
>>
>>8798692
OK in that case I give him my respect. That is a very solid dedication forking so much money on coffee devices.
Maybe he is barista.Did he ever said if he works in the coffee industry.
>>
>>8785414
I prefer gween tea.
>>
>>8798736
fuck off you getting boring with your shit
>>
>>8798683
Don't be dissin my vintage table. It's a bit tarnished, but it's old enough that it's got a right to be a little worse for wear. Still might replace it though, just to have something taller. Move the current one to be a second dining room table or something.

The rest of the place isn't bad, but it is a pretty old building (which is why the base is so fucking huge). Basically everything within a few miles of my work is 80+ years old, and fuck everything about long commutes. As for the cleanliness, well, you try keeping something next to a coffee grinder and a knockbox looking pristine and call me back.

>>8798668
It's a nice scale.

>>8798692
It's a flyover state, but not middle of nowhere. Still in a city. But, yeah, cost of living is damn cheap compared to you coastals. Only spend like a quarter of my income on total living expenses.

>>8798701
Nah, if I were a barista I would have enough crazy shit at work to not need to buy it myself. It's a hobby for me. And not even that expensive compared to a lot of hobbies. Yall freak out any time you see someone with a 50 grand classic car they enjoy keeping running?
>>
File: murphy4.jpg (90KB, 1024x662px) Image search: [Google]
murphy4.jpg
90KB, 1024x662px
Coffee I need fucking coffee lot's of coffee
>>
File: 1456103095521.jpg (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1456103095521.jpg
21KB, 400x400px
What does /cowfee/ use to store their coffee beans?
>>
>>8799751
retard detected
>>
>>8787733
I work graveyard shifts and eat 600mg in an 8 hour shift. Just make sure to cycle for tolerance breaks. I do a week on, a week off.
>>
File: 1453102836974.jpg (80KB, 371x370px) Image search: [Google]
1453102836974.jpg
80KB, 371x370px
>>8799788
How exactly is the question retarded?
I know people who store their beans in the grinder, those who just store it in the package, those who use one of the many different varieties of jars available.
If it's in a jar you should tell me the name of it so and if it has one of those one way valves so I can judge you.
>>
>>8800583
I use the 4oz mason jars to store individual 15g shots worth of beans. No valve, they're not actually useful.
>>
>>8801019
That's what I meant with judging.
You use transparent jars?
>>
>>8801180
Yes, but stored in an opaque container.
>>
>>8801591
>>8801180
I also often store them in the freezer and grind frozen, as per the suggestions based on the findings of this research: https://baristahustle.com/blogs/barista-hustle/the-grinder-paper-explained
>>
>>8797262

I use whole milk and honey in coffee, but hey...not everyone can get THIS mad about what other people like, only you.
>>
>>8801644

Because the people who go around proudly proclaiming that their "personal preference" happens to be the cheapest coffee or the cheapest beer or the cheapest anything are completely ill informed and inexperienced, thus they should be humbled. It's like if I said that my favorite food was grass because it was the first thing I found when I left the house, except you guys are arguing that grass is the best and that anybody who eats anything else are hipsters.
>>
why coffee is so bad healthwise
>>
File: 1446158119599.jpg (133KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1446158119599.jpg
133KB, 1280x720px
>>8785414
Tea > coffee desu
>>
File: No more coffee for me!!!.jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
No more coffee for me!!!.jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
>>8785414
I have enough coffee beans left to make 2 or 3 cups and after that I'm not buying anymore and not drinking that shit anymore.
Not worth it, nothing special about coffee. It only makes your teeth yellow and urges you to pee.
Fuck you coffee.
>>
>>8786085
Fpbp
>>
>>8791729
Its hard to see through someone else's window from the outside unless it's really bright inside
>>
>>8785414
Here, use this image next time.
>>
When I brew with a moka pot, should I pour it immediately when the the top fills or should I wait longer?
>>
>>8789196
this >>8789217 is pretty spot on.

aeropress w/ paper filter is way smoother than a french press which is too acidic and silty.
>>
I'm from Puerto Rico andI've been seeing a some of Peaberry variety coffees turn up. Coffee here is pretty good, but I'm unclear about what makes the Peaberry coffee different.
>>
>>8796695
>introducing that many variables with a hand cranked espresso machine
Do you even autism?
>>
>>8793865
Yes she is
>>
>>8786393
>I usually drink an entire pot of coffee in the morning, every morning, then more coffee or espresso at the diner.

You're gonna have some major heart problems down the road.
>>
>>8801746

Who said "personal preference" now you're just going full retard over water with burnt beans mascerating inside of it.
>>
>>8804930

Unlikely, as a Greek I'm very genetically diverse and come from strong stock of lifelong ouzo/espresso drinkers. My yaya and pappoús are both near 100 and get drunk after dinner pretty much every night, on both sides.

>yfw no superior Mediterranean genetics in your blood.
>>
File: pefectcowfee.png (413KB, 795x469px) Image search: [Google]
pefectcowfee.png
413KB, 795x469px
perfect cowfee blender for /ck/s team is done
>>
>>8804946

If your choice of coffee tends not to be your "personal preference" then you are either exploring new varieties regularly or you hate yourself. It is implied that most people here are sharing their "personal preference"

Now go argue about semantics elsewhere while we talk about hot water with burnt beans macerating inside of it.
>>
>>8804460
Manual lever is the only correct type of machine for home use, at least short of a MVP Hydra.
>>
>>8795908
>chino is emotionless anti-siscon bitch pedobait
>cocoa is autistic and can't do absolutely anything right
>Rize is okay if not extraordinary in any way, the only reason you'd be with her is for access to her money and gun collection
>Chiya is actually great and definite wife-material but not as good as syaro
>Syaro looks like a goddess in her uniform, is the cutest cinnamon bun by far, and if you suggested a threesome with Rize she'd ask the bitch to join in for you. And she can make you delicious crêpes.

Explain your fucking reasoning.
>>
>>8803135
but coffee actually tastes good when you don't slurp it down daily like an addiction.
>>
>>8791729
You're just a fucking prude, is what. I walk around fucking naked in my house all the time. Don't like seeing cock? Don't fucking stare in my fucking window.
>>
>>8806913
enjoy your sex offender registry
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/07/va-man-acquitted-flashing-passers-home.html
>>
>>8806913

>getting "prude" confused with "not being trailer park trash"
>>
>>8786393
>yes i'm greek

god bless you, diner-kin. I WAS HAPPY TO HAVE YOU SERVE ME
>>
>>8806913
I do it too and don't even draw the blinds. I had a neighbor ask me about it one time and I just said, "Why are you looking in my windows?" That shut him up pretty fucking quick.
>>
File: 1351952891248.jpg (272KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1351952891248.jpg
272KB, 1920x1200px
>>8785414
>feminine
you say this like it's a bad thing
>>
File: Angry_Pepe.jpg (39KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Angry_Pepe.jpg
39KB, 900x900px
>order more coffee because I ran out
>it arrived at the post office yesterday morning, early
>im at college so it needs to go through a mail system
>fucking idiots still haven't forwarded it through
>email out of concern because it never takes this fucking long
>absolutely no reason for having to wait 3 fucking days AFTER your package is delivered to receive it
>some cunt responds to me with a snippy tone, having clearly misunderstood my situation
>send another email, no response this time
ANSWER ME YOU DUMB FUCKING CUNT I NEED MY FUCKING COFFEE NOW NOW NOW

i am sorry for the blog post, i am irrationally angry at this fucking garbage
>>
>>8805425

What semantics, I order the best tasting, cost effective option to serve my patrons. Profits are important in business wagecuck. One day (unlikely as it may be) perhaps you'll do more with your life.
>>
>>8809513
you could just go to the store
>>
>>8809925

>calls me wagecuck
>literally cannot stop talking about money

lel
>>
File: 474739398470.jpg (67KB, 540x534px) Image search: [Google]
474739398470.jpg
67KB, 540x534px
>>8810033

Only a barista would obsess to this degree. How awful working retail as an adult.
>>
>>8810040

>How awful working retail as an adult

I wouldn't know, I work for an independent brewery. I will admit that I like coffee as much as I like beer, and cost never crosses my mind regarding either.
>>
>>8809931
there is nothing good at the store
>>
>>8810684
honestly supermarket coffee isn't that bad so long as you finish it before it goes rancid.
I've bought open air hipster local roasted garbage before, and it was dusty and stale as shit.
I've never gotten that from even the cheapest store brand ground coffee.

I'm not saying they're all like that, but being a microroaster is no guarantee of quality.
>>
what's a good poorfag drip machine
>>
>>8810749
^ Very good post ^
>>
>>8810749
yes, but I look forward to drinking coffee that tastes good, not "that bad" and so I usually buy from roasters that I know produce good stuff from experience, and stay away from the roasters that I know are shit
>>
>>8810812
I bet you couldn't taste the difference.
>>
>>8810818
but i can, I've had it before

even my pleb ass brother who doesn't know shit can taste the difference between his freshly ground and roasted stuff and supermarket stuff
>>
File: tumblr_mc8qnseCY41r6wmavo1_1280.jpg (70KB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mc8qnseCY41r6wmavo1_1280.jpg
70KB, 512x768px
>>8810829
>freshly ground and roasted stuff and supermarket stuff
fresh or stale coffee sucks and has very little benefits.
waste of money, greatest illusion of satisfaction
>>
File: 1489947298857.png (101KB, 247x249px) Image search: [Google]
1489947298857.png
101KB, 247x249px
>>8812167
no it tastes good
>>
>>8799751
Because this is a reasonable question:
I store them in their bags, unless I do a big order. Then I vacuum and freeze most of them.
I buy 500g-750g fresh espresso once a month.
>>
>>8787020
>t.permavirgin nerd faggot
>>
>>8790705
It is true you child.
>>
>>8812451
Doubtful.
>>
>tfw order a moka pot
>It's at the post office, walk to go pick it up
>excited as all fuck, holy shit
>it's fucking good friday
Fuck holidays, fuck Christians, and fuck the post office
>>
File: 1492019115006.jpg (130KB, 1463x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1492019115006.jpg
130KB, 1463x1536px
>>8812787
I'm >>8809513, I finally got my coffee today. I would have gone on a shooting spree if my building's mail room was closed.
>>
>>8812875
it's never too late!
>>
>>8812875
By the way FBI this post was entirely ironic
>>
>>8812787
>fuck Christians
N-not until marriage, senpai...!
>>
File: 1487714870769.png (855KB, 809x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1487714870769.png
855KB, 809x1100px
Ever since I got into coffee, I can no longer drink the burnt swill garbage coffee they sell outside.
>>
>>8813317
Too late, your citizenship has been revoked and a drone has been despatched. Do not attempt to evade justice, terrorist scum
>>
>>8813885
same
>b-b-b-b-but it tastes the same you retarded hipster!!
>>
>>8812875
prime example why drinking coffee creates violent rude individuals in the society.
I never heard this primitive subhuman behavior from TEA DRINKERS.
Thats why coffee is subhuman drink.
>>
>>8792725
I know a guy who has no belly button

it's because he had a bladder surgery and they stitched his abdomen back together without it. But still
>>
>>8813885
haha same, I have the same problem with audio equipment, I just can't stand listening to music from cheap setups
>>
>>8814701
Fuck coffee.Fuck the coffee you drink.Must taste like anus.
>>
>>8814839
FUCK Drumpf and FUCK white people
>>
>>8814856
using technology conceived and created by White People to perform cheap monkey tricks to convey your subhuman impulse that no white person is giving any level of shit.
If you are black or brown person you have a big problem.
you are fucked.
>>
>>8814839
What's wrong with you? Did I say something wrong?
>>
>>8814870
Newfag he was being ironic
>>
>>8814701
Audio equipment stops mattering once you past $80 or so.
Yes, there's cheap garbage, but the rate of diminishing returns plateaus out after you pass $80, which covers all headphones with low enough impendence that they require amplifiers, and this also covers all amplifier equipment because they usually cost more than the headphones themselves.
>>
>>8790686
Starbucks has a light roast tho
I blame the dark roast members
>>
>>8814910
No anon you didn't say anything wrong, I was just being silly I guess.
kek
>>
I just got an aeropress. I'm drinking some cheap sumatra blend crap right now. Can anyone recommend a decent coffee to buy? I've got a grinder coming so I can buy whole beans.
>>
>>8815646
>Audio equipment stops mattering once you past $80 or so.
$80 is way to low, perhaps $800.
There are audio quality nuances coming from cheap badly design audio equipment that are not so obvious when listening but they do produce distorted signal that is very irritating to our senses on subliminal level
and the whole listening experience is affected negatively because of it.
But I absolutely don't agree with you that $80 is the "magic" line level, as I said perhaps $800. Even at that level there are differences if you take receivers/amplifiers for example.
Same as there are differences with let's say say 100%Arabica coffee beans. Not all 100%Arabica coffee beans taste the same even if you are comparing high quality beans.
>>
>>8815646
>I've never listened to anything better than my Coby headphones from Target
Yes, we can tell
>>8815931
$1500 is around the point where the diminishing returns cliff starts to fall off quickly for speakers. Beyond that your biggest concerns are going to be room treatments, and this is assuming you've gotten your speaker placement sorted out, which is a given obviously

As for electronics can get perfectly good stereo integrateds for $500-600 new. Less, if your speakers are 90+ dBW

I only say "stereo" because there are some plebs who think the quality for multi-channel home theater audio actually matters. Obviously, we are talking about high dynamic range acoustic recordings here. BIS Classical, Telarc, and so on, from a lossless source and a functionally passable DAC, along the lines of ODAC or some such thing

If you are just listening to "wall of sound" tracks, like most of what /ck/ thinks is '''''music''''', you might as well just buy some Klipsch garbage
>>
I won an Amazon giftcard at work. Can someone recommend me a good whole-bean sampler pack I can buy on Amazon?
>>
>>8796902
me too dude
I just drink tea because you can steep it however you want
while for coffee there's only one way to brew it correctly depending on who you ask and everyone shits on you for brewing it a certain way that isn't the way they do it
I'll second to second wave coffee and be a purist over other beverages
>>
test
>>
>>8796902
There are heavy bodied coffees that aren't thin.
>>
>>8818601
your test worked
you are not banned anymore. kek
>>
>>8785414
zima is the most pussy drink. i would say gay, but i know so many gay people nowadays and none act that stereotypical. but i do have a whiney neighbor who buys that stuff

but i guess any fruity drink with vodka, something that usually comes with an umbrella and is multiple colors.

but a drinks a drink, who cares.
>>
How can I not make my coffee taste like shit? What is the proper ratio of grounds to water?
>>
>>8819562
coffee is shit to begin so you are out of luck faggot if you are insisting to drink this shit
just drink pure water you will feel much better
>>
>>8819583
Every once in a while I'll brew a really great cup of coffee. Then the next day I'll do everything the same and it will taste like complete and utter shit and I have no idea why. I use Eight O' Clock whole bean, usually with milk and sugar. If it turns out good I like it better black, but it does only like 1% of the time. I just poured some out because it was so shit it was making me sick. Maybe coffee's just not for me?
>>
>>8819596
eight o clock is utter shit
mass produced indian multinational tata beverage megacorp garbage
buy literally anything else
>>
>>8819601
What do you usually drink?
>>
>>8819583
why do you morons act as if coffee is the only thing "coffee people" drink?
>>
File: thumbs-down-symbol_318-40864.jpg (18KB, 626x626px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs-down-symbol_318-40864.jpg
18KB, 626x626px
>>8819797
5 days ago I run of coffee beans and even tho I was in 3 different stores in last 4 days and I was close to the roasting house I did not buy any more coffee beans,
and you know what?
>I'm doing just fucking fine.
>coffee is just fucking such a nuisance, not worth it your money, and your wellbeing by drinking this piss producing and teeth yellowing shit.
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.