[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Broth and Stock

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: chicken stock.jpg (89KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
chicken stock.jpg
89KB, 960x640px
Post your broth or stock recipes /ck/

Ramen broth is especially appreciated but any will do. Here is my basic chicken stock recipe

>roast a salted chicken at 400F degrees with two coarse chopped onions and stick of celery until done (165F)
>let cool, remove and save the meat and skin
>carcass should be about 3 lbs
>chunk up 2 carrots
>bay leaf
>a few whole peppercorns
>5 cloves garlic, peeled but not smashed, cut in half
>1 stick fresh celery
>1 fresh onion
>add all the contents (including the roasted vegetables) into a stock pot
>3 quarts water
>bring to simmer, skim foam and funk
>12 hours, add splash of water occasionally
>>
>>8783705
If you're making ramen broth, consider adding some ginger to the stock pot.
>>
File: spicy-chicken-stock.jpg (229KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
spicy-chicken-stock.jpg
229KB, 1200x675px
>>8783705
>after 12 hours, remove from heat and strain stock
>finely chop chicken skin, as small as possible
>add to stock
>boil until 2 quarts are left
wa la

Scale for more, but don't add too many peppercorns.
>>
>>8783705
>Post your broth or stock recipes /ck/
No.
>>
File: tonkotsu.jpg (246KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
tonkotsu.jpg
246KB, 1600x1066px
>>8783708
I was getting to that. I just wanted to post a basic recipe first. Anyway, tonkotsu broth:

>3 lbs split pig trotters
>3 lbs chicken carcass
>1 large onion chopped
>24 scallions, whites only (save greens and light green for later)
>4 oz mushrooms, I leave them whole
>3 inch knob of ginger chopped
>whole head of garlic, cloves peeled and sliced not smashed
>2 leeks coarsely chopped
>remove meat and skin from chicken, freeze or save for later
>add trotters and chicken to stock pot
>cover with water and bring to boil
>remove from heat exactly when it reaches boil
>strain, wash with cold water on the pig and chicken to remove nasty bits
>fry onion, mushrooms, ginger, garlic for ~8 minutes in small amount of vegetable oil, careful not to char
>add everything back to stock pot, pork fat back on top, and cover with water
>bring to rapid boil
>turn down to simmer
>place lid on top, let it come to gentle boil/rough simmer
>after 1 hour, remove mushrooms
>after 3 more hours, remove fat back carefully and store for later
>continue simmering remnants in stock pot for ~8 more hours
>strain
>finely chop fat back and add to broth, boil until about 3 quarts left
wa la

base stock, add noodles and seasoning and veggies later
>>
>>8783713
>>finely chop chicken skin, as small as possible
>>add to stock
>>boil until 2 quarts are left

wat

Is this some kind of clarifying trick? After 12 hours that skin has given all it has to give.
>>
>>8785278
Actually, you reserve the skin from originally roasting the chicken (I like it crispy). Save the chicken skin in a container until the broth is done, then mix it in. It blends extremely well with the broth and adds a shit load of flavor - salt, too, if you salted your chicken.

It makes the broth very rich.
>>
File: chicken-feet-2.jpg (3MB, 1920x1221px) Image search: [Google]
chicken-feet-2.jpg
3MB, 1920x1221px
>>8785297

Huh. Seems like you could extract more flavor and develop more gelatin if you'd included it in the first place. Skin is full of collagen.

Usually crispy roasted skin is the first part of the chicken to disappear when the bird comes out of the onion. Self control is for puritans.

And I always add salt when using stock, not when making it, because... tradition, I guess. And because I never know how much the stock is going to be reduced for the final application.

Also, feet.
>>
I got all these drippings from pulled pork, dark because of brown sugar

what do yall suppose i do with it
>>
File: IMG_20170407_232325800.jpg (4MB, 2592x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170407_232325800.jpg
4MB, 2592x4608px
>>8785404
fukkin
>>
File: hash-browns.jpg (261KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
hash-browns.jpg
261KB, 1000x750px
>>8785418

The same thing you do with all flavorful fat, my good non-gendered pronoun: Fry some taters.
>>
>>8785361
Yeah I just usually have chicken carcasses on hand. Maybe I should invest in some chicken feet like I do pig. And don't get me wrong, the skin is delicious, I always eat some before the meat and rest of the skin get picked off. As for keeping the skin in, it doesn't take a long time for everything to be extracted. If you did include it in the stock initially, it would be a good idea to remove it after awhile. I know it sounds odd, just a little technique I've come to enjoy that I don't see used often. The salted skin adds a very tasty richness when you are down to the strained broth. Hell, you can add it right before serving but it does need a bit of time to fully integrate with the broth.

>>8785418
>sugary oil
Freeze it until you find a good idea.
>>
discuss stocks

you don't have to share your complete recipe
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.