[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a grocery store employee

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 227
Thread images: 25

File: QdQkp.png (420KB, 600x471px) Image search: [Google]
QdQkp.png
420KB, 600x471px
Been employed for almost a decade now, went from basic bagger bitch to a key member. I do almost entirely night shifts from early evening to closing at 1AM unless my boss calls me to fill in for another guy. Ask me shit and maybe I tell you funny things about what I see.
>>
>>8777826
Do cucumbers even have std's?
>>
>>8777826
2nd shift sucks b/c it contains the pre-dinner rush.
>>
I should probably fill out more info so you guys can do more with it. The store I work I for is a regional supermarket owned by a bigger corporation which controls several regional supermarkets.
We got a butchery, hot deli, "fresh" bakery, and even a floral department in addition to the standard produce and aisles. Think something like Safeway but it ain't an actual Safeway.

>>8777830
No but whenever some weirdo leaves behind a condom or other potentially STD-ridden trash our store's policy is to call one of the safety crew members and blockade the area before we break out the hazmat containers. I have actually seen a condom-wearing cucumber like that in the store before, some dumb kid thought it'd be funny going by security footage.
>>
I may as well throw this freebie out there because it's the reason I made this thread.

>Couple weeks back manager installs a lock on the door going to the beer storage area, which directly links to the refrigerated shelves where customers can pull out cold ones
>Apparently some thieves made out with a couple crates because it's located on the store floor right next to those shelves
>New store rule: The only people who can unlock the beer door are managers and assigned key masters (basically the guys that handle the money, machines, etc. for that day), beer vendors have to check in to get it opened, and then they check out to get it locked up again
>Earlier today, notice beer door is unlocked at around 6PM, which is past vendor hours, so I just lock it up then and there
>Two hours later a preteen runs up to the checkout panicking about "the naked guy behind the beer"
>Run back there and find that one of the local hobos was locked up in there because of me
>Apparently he snuck in thinking he could get freebies but when he found the door locked his drunken hobo mind led him to stripping and moaning gibberish at all who came to the liquor section of the store
I had to call the cops because I wasn't getting anywhere near naked homeless man meat. Worst part is that because he's homeless he can't very well pay for all the steel reserve he wasted while inside of there either, I really fucking hope my boss doesn't try to blame this one on me.
>>
>>8777890
was he hot though?
>>
>>8777842
Contrary to belief customer traffic doesn't get heavier on weekends, it's actually based on holidays and local events. Super Bowl this year was brutal, we had all five checkstands firing on all thrusters and we even called our baggers up front the whole day. It never died down once, even when the game was over. One of the self-checkout machines died.

>>8777897
An old, unwashed, unshaven, malnourished homeless bum with sagging skin and yellowed ratlike teeth? Only Ted Cruz would say yes to that.
>>
>>8777890
At least he did you the favor of sticking with the cheap shit instead of an actual beer.
>>
>>8777826
How many times have you attempted to commit suicide?
>>
>>8777925
I don't hate my job enough to do that, plus I got video games and japshit to keep me going. I just finished the last ep of Maid Dragon by the way, very different compared to the manga.
>>
File: sucks.jpg (61KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
sucks.jpg
61KB, 500x376px
Would you say it's worth pursuing this type of career
>>
>>8777952
If you stay at the bottom then no. I actually only started working at this place to pay my college tuition fees years ago, I never qualified for financial aid from the government. When I got my degree in accounting my boss told me that I can move high up with that so I did. I was actually just gonna get one of those cushy office jobs, sit on my ass all day with a computer and make money. With my current position and seniority (and with the worker union backing me) I am actually making enough to live probably more comfortably than I would have if I left the store to pursue another job.
I'm doing accounting at the store so my degree and education are being wasted, but I also have to do shit like stocking, cashier, and tagging products. The worst is facing, that's where we go down every single aisle and make the products "face" forward and up front so like when you see all those soup cans on the shelf all nice like that's me and people like me doing that. All these extra tasks is why I get paid well, I actually only work 35 hour weeks and I still make enough money to support a housewife and a kid if I ever get hitched.
Work is still a bitch though since it's a standing job, especially when you're bagging because then you get all the grunt work like bringing in carts from the parking lot. Plus from a financial point grocery stores like this make a sliver of profit after all the cash is sorted through expenses so I've had this dread in the back of my mind that the store will close down if we ever dip in the red too long.
Fun Fact: if you steal a 2-liter of like Pepsi from a store, it takes the store at least three more to make back the money lost on that.
>>
I do inventory for grocery stores like you guys. The international/spice section can get pretty tough.
>>
>>8777989
Soo... 10 years ahead, where will you be?
>>
>>8778015
Dead, hopefully.
Then my wife can support her own son.
>>
>>8777989
I meant to say that "my degree and education aren't being wasted". I'll throw another free story out there because of that typo.
>Years ago, still a bag boy
>One of the cashiers calls for "security, O.M.E." over the intercom, which meant that a shoplifter was about to get away
>Spot two thug-looking guys walking out the door with three bags of frozen shrimp, one wearing a red baseball cap
>Shadow them out the door. Two other baggers are right at the entrance and they're just shooting the shit they don't even notice
>Look at them while pointing at the shrimp guys, trying to silently tell them that they're shoplifting. At that point one of the thugs turns around and sees that I noticed them
>They book for it and, because I was a hotheaded 18 year old, I chase them across the entire parking lot when store policy states that we're supposed to use "non-aggressive, hands-off methods" to combat shoplifting
>Start catching up to them, halfway through almost got the red hat by the collar but can't close the gap
>Yell out "THE FUCK YOU RUNNIN' FOR?" in frustration at him, and either because it scared the shit out of him or to try to throw me off he dropped one of the shrimp bags he was holding onto
>They're almost out the parking lot and some dude that came out of Popeye's stops me from chasing them across the freeway, letting the shoplifters get away
>Apparently this guy is part of the undercover shrink prevention unit that's supposed to stop shoplifters at our store, and even though he was on a lunch break he was pissed at how I handled the situation
>He brings me back to the store and tells my boss what happened, and the only thing my boss had to say was "was it worth risking your job for some shrimp?"
>>
How quickly did you lose sympaty for poor people using EBT?
>>
>>8778015
I almost landed an assistant manager position last year at another location, it was for a metropolitan city and the store was at least four times bigger than this one I'm at so I would have been given an equally bigger wage. I never got it though, instead what happened was that a sister store owned by the parent company closed down so they just moved the management staff from there. I don't know more about it than that.
I probably will just replace my boss or the assistant manager here in the future just like how I replaced the accountant, it could happen. Like I said before though, this job pays well so I don't feel a need to move out of this.
>>
>>8777826
Why do you think you're relevant? All you do is stack shelves. You are interchangeable.
Shit, I work in a warehouse, and my job is more crucial to things running smoothly than yours, shelf-stacker.

Have you tried doing your job properly? Putting things where they're meant to be? Not kicking things around? Not fucking the stock up?
>>
>>8777890
Have you not learned to check before closing doors to cold storage areas?
>>
>>8777847
Qfc?
>>
>>8778040
EBT users I don't really have anything against. They buy their groceries and get their free brown paper bags, and then they either pay the remainder or they take what's left of their EBT cash back. Yeah most of them are black but at least these guys aren't stealing or holding us up.
It's when we get WiC users is when I get miffed. They always get the wrong shit and then they hold up the line trying to argue about it. A couple months back this one guy tried buying fucking almond milk when his WiC states "One Gallon Brand X or Brand Y 1% Milk" and he was completely adamant about getting the almond milk. I made the bagger help out another checkout while I spent at least 10 minutes with this guy until he left with only his WiC.

>>8778047
Yeah I know I was in a hurry because I wanted to get the last of the invoices done so I could go home early. Still, I didn't think there'd be anybody in there, I wasn't thinking worst case scenario at the time.
>>
>>8778044
You didn't read the thread at all.

>>8778054
I'm not allowed to say either way, the parent company actually employs people to monitor social media sites to see if employees are talking about their jobs in-depth so they can then fire their asses.
>>
File: 1486892267448.png (727KB, 778x906px) Image search: [Google]
1486892267448.png
727KB, 778x906px
>>8778044
>Getting this mad over a thread about grocery stores
>>
How do you deal with the sleep schedule? Just roll with it?
>>
>>8777890
For those of you who don't know, taking your clothes off is common for people suffering from hypothermia. It makes you feel really hot once you start freezing to death.
>>
You work for a Kroger company don't you
>>
>>8778070
I like to think of Kroger sifting through 4chan threads and tracing IPs to fire disgruntled cashiers
>>
>>8778044
you need some counseling bruh
>>
When I'm walking down an aisle and i happen to see an item that isnt facing forward i always correct them. I know that job is traumatizing so i try to make it easier for you guys.
>>
you work at kroger. i recognize those fucking tags.
>>
>>8778660
We had those at qfc, too. They are one of Kroger's regional chains, which leads me to believe he works at one. Especially since he's such a paranoid fuck about Kroger doxxing him, considering qfc mostly exists just the state of Washington.
>>
Imagine what it must be like to be a low class wage slave. The very thought makes me shudder
>>
>>8778044
who hurt you?
>>
>>8778070
>employs people to monitor social media sites to see if employees are talking about their jobs in-depth so they can then fire their asses.

talk about a dream job. just read shitposts all day and every now and then you get to fire someone
>>
File: 1491250492544.gif (259KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
1491250492544.gif
259KB, 500x354px
>>8778044
>being this mad about a grocery worker
>>
>>8778858
First you'd have to imagine not having daddy's money.
>>
>>8777847
>>8777989

In other words, you are located on the west coast USA, and you work for either Food 4 Less or Smith's Food & Drug
>>
>>8777934
Can't believe it's over. The last episode didn't have enough kanna
>>
>>8778009
>>8778009
>The international/spice section can get pretty tough.

If you are a dumb fuck who keeps neglecting those sections. I work those exact sections at my store overnights and they have gotten nothing but compliments from the big bosses who walk through our store during their visits. They always make comments like "this is by far the best bake aisle we have visited in this district so far". And these assholes are picky as shit and find any little flaw to point out. So getting a good compliment from them must be worth a damn.
>>
Hijacking thread with a funny story from when I used to work at a grocery store

>be me
>peak degeneracy
>just got arrested for felony drug possession, drug distribution, DUI, etc...
>court case takes 2 years to get resolved so in the meantime I just work part time jobs while everything is getting figured out
>get hired at a decently 'upscale' grocery store called the Big Y (new englanders will know this. i used to work at shaws which is comparatively pleb status)
>they like me, get hired as a bread clerk
>bread clerk has a retarded amount of responsibilities but I had no idea going into it
>have to manage the entire bread inventory, manage orders, stocking, displays, etc...
>mfw have to manage vendors too who are all on meme liberal operated cut throat outsourced routes because bread companies are too cheap to do it in-house
>using a ton of ketamine at this point in time
>have to come in 4am every morning to keep track of inventory and put in orders
>dont even have the energy to simply count so i just make estimates instead or random numbers completely
>massively over-order bread we dont need
>manager tells me we are having a sale on english muffins this week so order a lot
>order 250 bagels
>manager asks me what the fuck are we going to do with all these bagels
>mfw he doesnt know i ordered a shit ton of other bread too
>customers coming in asking where are the english muffins, they saw an ad that it was on sale for $0.99 cents
>grocery manager asks me whats going on
>tell him dunno
>meanwhile im just doing more ketamine in the bathroom and at home waiting for this to all go away
>one day i finally man up and decide to just pull the store manager in a room and tell him im going to prison for drug trafficking and have to quit
>he confusingly mutters 'o-okay' and i quit

always wondered what those fuckers thought of me after I had left.
>>
File: IMG_20160808_225559.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160808_225559.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Hello OP, fellow grocery wage cuck here. Do you take pictures of the odd things you encounter in your job as well? Just about everybody I work with pull out their phones to take pictures of messes customers leave behind and I've collected a few myself. Can you share a few?
>>
>>8778919
Imagine being such a deluded poorfag you think being wealthy is a detriment lmao
>>
>>8778947
This could be a good /ck/ version of 'Anon works IT' if you padded it a bit.
>hide the extra bread in the ceiling
>put bar code stickers for bread over the codes on random products to spread the losses around
>>
OP, you must have shit the bed during college, or this grocery store pays really well.

My friend is graduating, she's got a 60k a year job guaranteed on graduation.

Are you making a comparable sum?
>>
>>8778996
I had to throw away all of the expired bread which was pretty painful. Every day, I would take two carts filled with bread to the garbage chute in the back and chuck them all away. The job itself wasn't even that bad but I was just miserable because of how poor I was doing. I remember there was one week in particular where I actually threw away more bread than we sold during that 7 day stretch.
>>
>>8777890
the only person who could get in trouble would be the one who left it unlocked for the hobo to get in, was that you?
>>
>>8778409
Have an upvote my good sir. The world needs more people like you.
>>
Op def works for kroger. We spooked him outta here.
>>
I went to sleep and forgot the tripcode I was using, so it may have changed but I'm still the same OP. I got today off so I'll answer some more posts while I'm doing laundry and cooking.

>>8778085
I'm not gonna lie, I get really pissed at the assistant manager whenever I get a schedule that has me closing on one day and then has me working in the morning the next.

>>8778231
>>8778326
>>8778660
Again, I'm not allowed to say what store I work for. That picture I used for the OP was just taken off the internet.
>>
File: aftr diaz 10 10 000 2836.gif (28KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
aftr diaz 10 10 000 2836.gif
28KB, 150x150px
>>8777826
>>8777826
What tips do you have for product salemen I
>>
>>8778944
We changed the store layout this year and the highest complaints we receive is about the Asian and Hispanic sections being merged together. They got merged in order to save shelf space and downsize the selection to the products that people actually buy, but apparently many of our regulars think it was a bad move on our part.
>>
>>8778963
I actually don't do this because I feel that it would make me look like a slacker on the job. Plus over here we already got our share of hobos and other crazies running about fucking things up so for me it's more of a normal occurrence.

>>8778998
It really does pay well, I make around that much these years, but again this money I'm making is also coming from the seniority I have from working for the company for so long. If I chose to have a STEM degree instead of a business one I probably would have gotten a job that pays high right out the gate rather than stick it here.

>>8779024
It wasn't me, I just stumbled onto it. Vendors usually do their unloading in the morning so it was either my boss, the assistant manager, or whoever was the key master then who unlocked it for the beer vendor. I told my boss about it though so he's probably sorting it out at the store right now.
Vendors, by the way, are people employed by product companies to drive those bigass trucks around and ship and stock the products in stores like mine as well as others like McDonald's and 7-11. Those guys do some labor intensive work, they're even issued heavily-padded kneepads because they have to kneel down a lot while stocking.

>>8779133
I wouldn't know anything since I'm not involved in picking what items get sold in the store, I just order more of what runs out and reclaim what we don't want.
>>
>>8777989

well fuck.

I'd have just killed myself.
>>
>>8778044
>I work in a warehouse

talk about the Pot calling the kettle black.
>>
I used to work for Kroger (King Soopers in my area) and this thread is making me a bit nostalgic for a job that I'm actually glad not to have anymore. I worked as a meat/seafood clerk and it was a pretty decent job most of the time, the worst parts were the dumb things that corporate-level bean counters told us we needed to do without actually understanding how stores actually get the work done. When I left they literally had us filling out forms to verify that we'd logged into a computerized tracking system that was supposed to verify another form that was a backup for the automated inventory system...

The best part about working in meat/seafood (and produce, from my understanding) is that there's minimal opportunities for negative customer interactions, and people will you respect you as being the person with THE KNOWLEDGE if you can explain how to prepare and cook the things you sell. The worst part is cleaning seafood cases (they get nasty if the cleaning gets put off too long or the person who was supposed to do it last was a lazy faggot who did a crappy job, leaving a bigger mess for somebody else) or the meat cutting room after a day when the bandsaw has seen heavy use (using a power washer to blast crud away is great, having to mop and squeegee all the water off a huge cutting room floor is tedious and annoying because you're just walking around in the cold for 20-30 minutes - and if you get your socks wet it really sucks).
>>
>>8779129
Well, you said you can't say what it isn't, yet you said it wasn't safeway. So just spill it.
>>
>>8778044
I work at a grocery store, where I have to unload the truckload of stuff my department gets from the warehouse daily, and let me tell you those fucking warehouse monkeys fuck it up almost every single day. I don't know what kind of dumbfuck oxygen thieves they employ there, but they constantly do stupid shit like putting really small, light boxes on the bottom of the pallet, and then loading a ton of heavy boxes on top of them.
Every time I come into some deformed jenga tower of destroyed product I get a strong urge to bomb the warehouse.
>>
>>8779480
One time when I worked at Walgreens we received a split case where in the tote they packed two glass jars of pasta sauce and a dozen and a half large cans of soup

I'll let you guess what happened
>>
>>8777847
You work at Fred Meyer.
>>
>>8779534
the glass jars crushed the soup cans?
>>
>>8779570
Yes, shards of metal everywhere
>>
>>8778044

>warehouse shelf stacker talks down to grocery shelf stacker
>>
>>8778326
B-but you can't see posters ips. And if you could you still wouldn't be able to trace the person unless you got a court order
>>
>>8777847
Savemart?
>>
>>8777989
>enough to support a housewife and a kid
So, what is that 50k? 75k?
>>
>>8779534
One time I was unloading a truck and found a recliner stacked on a display pallet of light bulbs.
I almost got killed when taking down a pallet of clearance from the top shelf of the freight room, where the idiot who stacked it put plates and other glassware on top of FUCKING TOWELS.
>>
I used to work at QCF, that place fucking blows. The upper management doesn't give a fuck about the night shift employees even tho without them nothing would ever get stocked.
>>
>unionized grocery store
>Not safeway

We all know you work at Kroger, OP.
>>
>>8778034
I'm sure that guy was just pissed that the shoplifters didn't get away totally unnoticed because then he wouldn't have to report that a bunch of shit got stolen because he was eating fucking popeye's
>>
>>8779686
I dunno how much that guy makes, but I make 62k a year being the dry goods team leader (the """team""" is a friend of mine and his brother) at a pretty small grocery store (revenue is about 9 million a year). luckily I live in whitesville and everyone is nice. The worst people to deal with is the obligatory headwound guy who tries to steal beer and teens trying to shoplift.
>>
>>8779951
>unionized

As opposed to an ionized grocery store ??
>>
>>8778034
>Be working the Christmas trees, just getting off break.
>Look like a hobo in a ten year old Carhart that is frayed to shit.
>Hear my name hush whispered and see LP signaling to me and pointing at a guy making a move for the door.
>One other employee and LP's manager are also on the hunt.
>Tail him out of the store and surround him, LP pulls a $400 pair of headphones from his pocket, ask him to come with us.
>He is escorted to the office and told to sit, I sit near the door.
>As the LP manager is processing everything he looks at me.
>"Anon, is that a duck call in your jacket pocket?"
>Not thinking I look and grab at the item in my chest pocket, pulling a linoleum knife I use to cut the cords on the trees.
>'Nope, just carry this to take care of problems.'
>Shoplifter is shitting himself.
>>
Hey guys, redditor here feel free to AMA
>>
>>8778977
Imagine being so lazy you think doing nothing with your life is a good thing.
>>
>tfw bag boy for kroger in bum fuck nowhere
I don't really mind it, but I would like to get higher if I could
any tips op
>>
>>8779331
Are you me?
>>
>>8780007
these anions will bond to anything!
>>
File: gottem.gif (335KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
gottem.gif
335KB, 400x400px
>>8778963
I'm a support manager at Walmart, lol fucking trash employee do your job and do your returns.
>>
>>8777890
>not conducting an inspection of a cold storage area for kids, bums, prior to locking it up.

Totally your fault, dumb ass.

What if that had been a kid instead of a bum?

I'd have taken all that shit out of your pay, if not just outright fire you for negligence.
>>
>>8777989
>grocery stores like this make a sliver of profit
>Fun Fact: if you steal a 2-liter of like Pepsi from a store, it takes the store at least three more to make back the money lost on that.

This is why there are no major grocery store chains in nigger ghetto lands.
>>
>>8779145
You work at HEB, don't you?
>>
I've been trying to assemble this ikea furniture by myself for the past couple hours, frustrating shit that only has pictures in the manual so I ended up putting a few pieces backwards.

>>8779431
>>8779552
>>8779671
I'm still not allowed to say, if I wasn't currently employed by the store I would tell you guys but right now I'm still under the company rules and union bylaws.

>>8780001
I made 60k last year before taxes, which is incredibly high considering my workweek is 35 hours on average. I can actually have a healthy retirement once I hit 60 years, not many people on here can say that.

>>8779951
You'd be surprised by how many stores actually have unions backing the workers. We even get free dental, that was a huge bonus for me because my father's dental coverage stopped including me a year into college, that shit is important to me.

>>8780367
Nah there's still Walmarts and the like in places like Oakland and NYC, those places just increase their security measures based on the amount of crime going on.
>>
>>8777913
He said pre dinner rush.
>>
>>8780187
According to OP, don't be a a tool and get a degree. Also try to avoid locking bums in freezers
>>
What's the best times to shop?
>>
File: 1462405316795.jpg (16KB, 567x425px) Image search: [Google]
1462405316795.jpg
16KB, 567x425px
>>8780187
>>8780187
For one you need to be able to do more than just what your job description tells you to. I actually used to take new baggers around when they're training and show them how to operate non-general facilities like the helium tanks for blowing up balloons or even the forklift if they're old enough and can drive. This lets them specialize in as many services as possible so they can help out both in front and behind the scenes, of course this is going to depend on what your store's policy is on what you're allowed to do.
You should also have strong work ethic and have it show at all times at the workplace, even if you aren't on the clock. In my opinion this will mainly be in how you speak and converse with customers, get to know them even if it's just their name or what car they drive in. If you're helping somebody to their car, offer to push the grocery cart for them and then strike up some small talk while you're walking by their side. When you're returning unwanted items to their shelves, arrange them and the surrounding items neatly as if you were tasked with facing them, and during any time you're walking through the store greet the customers and offer your services to them as needed.
Above all, you need to show your higher ups that you aren't just some work monkey that can only do what they tell you to do. I got to move up the chain because of my education, but at least over here you can actually graduate from bagger to cashier if you're able to show the initiative.
>>
>>8780469
Lol you must live in a tiny town
>>
>>8780445
I would actually say early in the morning, just as the store opens. That's when you're guaranteed to get as few competing shoppers as possible, and most of them will probably be elderly people because seniors have this thing where they start their day at like 5AM.

>>8780479
150k population isn't small, but what I say about customer courtesy is still true. The vast majority of people only ever do their grocery shopping at one or two stores because they get familiar with them and don't want to juggle between different layouts and prices and whatnot. These people are also doing their grocery shopping every week so even if you were working in a huge city like San Francisco it won't be as if these faces stay unknown to you.
>>
File: 1424043848876.jpg (71KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1424043848876.jpg
71KB, 400x388px
>>8780512
I go to the grocery store right when it opens at 7. I'm scared of people and it is most comfy then. Yeah, it's all other robots and old people. Best time.
>>
>>8778881
Man that sounds great, I'd love it, that or parking guard.

Fining people for being to dumb to read signs.
>>
>>8780512
So you have issues with social workers lertting lose their herd of retards and going for a 3 hour coffee break?

Or is that not a thing o'er yonder?
>>
>>8780007
Onionized
>>
>>8780418
Yeah, but no wal-marts in NYC.
>>
File: LaughingCatGirls.jpg (113KB, 411x349px) Image search: [Google]
LaughingCatGirls.jpg
113KB, 411x349px
>Get canned for some bullshit reason.
>Ask for my vacation compensation.
>The manager hesitates when he sees how many hours I have.
>Well over 200 hrs.
>Takes them two months to print out my check and give it to me.
>Over 10k.
>Later find out they replaced one of the managers.
>>
>>8780986
this is why a lot of places won't let you accrue vacation time over 80 hours or so. it's either use it or lose it so people end up taking a week off and just sit at home watching TV and drinking beer the whole time
>>
>>8781005
Which is why it felt so goddamn good making them hand me that check.
>>
>>8780686
What does this even mean? I don't really know what kind of conversation you are trying to lead into with this.

>>8781005
My father was a mailman for USPS and he had almost 1500 hours of paid vacation time under his belt. He never once took an unscheduled day off and he was always working overtime. When we combined his vacation compensation with the life insurance he took out my mom couldn't stop crying because this was exactly what he was planning before he died.
>>
File: wageslave.jpg (77KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
wageslave.jpg
77KB, 409x409px
>>8780986
>>8781005
>>8781071
>tfw where I work we shut down for a work week between christmas and new years, and once in the summer for a work week.
i'm a wageslave in the worst way
>>
>Work at a Kroger store
>Notice two stacks of totes on pallets in the bull pen.
>Shit is stacked like 6 feet.
>Ask about it, boss says the store director stores the hazmat there to save money.
>Even when we have a budget for hazmat.
>Some of the totes have been eroded to the point of leaking caustic slews of death.
>EPA gets an anonymous call, store gets fined 20k.
>Can smell the chemicals from 50 yards as they are trying to clean it up.
>>
>>8781223
>hazmat
What kind of hazmat shit do they have to store/dispose of at a fucking Kroger? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>8781227
Car batteries
Paint thinner.
Industrial cleaner.
Garden chemicals.
All blended into one and a half tons of death.
>>
>>8781237
Oh, and it's a Kroger owned company, so yeah, we have paint and shit.
>>
>>8778070
>>8777847
Sounds like Sobeys, but it seems like it's US.
>>
>>8781237
Jesus, how/why the fuck is it BLENDED?
>>
File: [screams externally].gif (929KB, 264x320px) Image search: [Google]
[screams externally].gif
929KB, 264x320px
>Corporate shows up for a store inspection.
>Everything has been scrubbed to a fine shine and the fuckups are placed in areas they will not be seen.
>See a nice lady in the furniture area, sitting at a table.
>Decide to make contact, we have a nice chat, talk about the furniture, etc.
>Ask her if she is interested in the table set she is currently sitting at, and she tells me no, and tells me she is actually one of the heads of the company.
>We had been chatting for five minutes, and were at that point both sitting at the table just talking.
>Tactically shit myself realizing I was just shooting the shit to my bosses bosses boss, trying to sell her a table.
>She gave me some candy.
>>
>>8781255
It ATE through the plastic totes.
Keep in mind that shit has been sitting outside for years, in the summer heat and winter cold.
>>
>>8777847
Ingles?
>>
>>8781267
So the top tote got corroded, corroded the next set of totes, and it chain reacted until it his asphalt.
>>
>>8781237
Yeah Kroger took over a local chain I liked alright, but in the last few years they started converting stores into more all-in-one box stores like a Target, rather than being just a grocer. My 92-year old grandpa really hates it, always complains about "have to walk through a furniture store just to pick up a gallon of milk now".

>>8781255
I think they are wanting to compete with Walmart and Target stores. I think it's a stupid idea, but with Walmart increasing it's cancer into grocery-only stores in ghetto areas, and hipster grocery chains popping up now, I guess they have to expand their niche to stay competitive.
>>
File: Header[1].jpg (2MB, 2360x734px) Image search: [Google]
Header[1].jpg
2MB, 2360x734px
>>8777826
Fuck mate if you lived in a non-shithole that could earn a Wegmans, you could have made it by now. Best of luck wherever you are.
>>
>>8781285
Fred Meyer kind of inspired Kroger into becoming a store where you "Can buy, milk eggs, a couch and a gun"
>>
>>8781286
That looks like a shithole to be honest. Architecture screams "recent-renovated urban renewal former ghetto strip mall". I also like how you didn't read any of the thread and imply you're somehow more successful than the OP. Atleast the box nigger's post was hilarious.
>>
>>8781297
Let me guess... you don't live near a Wegmans?
>>
>Get on outdoor forklift to go move some shit.
>Stalls.
>Try it again, stalls again.
>Just got serviced.
>Manager wants to call service tech to fix it.
>Pop the hatch on the fucking thing and look at the engine.
>One of the sparkplugs is not even connected.
>He tells me not to touch anything.
>Fix the problem and do my fucking job.
>Head boss wants my ass when he is told about me not listing to manager.
>Explain to head what was wrong and how I fixed it, savings the costs of a mechanic to plug in a spark plug.
>Manager gets sent to a store halfway across the state for a week to "assist" said store.
>>
>>8781304
Pro-tip: not every store brand has stores in every state or city.
>>
>>8781313
Pro-tip: Since you googled wegmans, you know it's coming. Provided your area is worthwhile that is.
>>
>>8781330
I didn't google shit, why would I? You're spouting off some pretentious chain while subtly implying how much more successful you are than everyone in this thread. You don't live in as great a spot as you think you do if you need to use a grocery chain to be pretentiously superior to 4chan users on a board where one of the most popular threads is about what people were surviving on when they were literally starving.
>>
>>8781264
well hey anon, you were literally just doing your job so I'd say you probably ended up with good marks

plus she gave you candy, that's gotta be good
>>
>>8781071
>my mom couldn't stop crying
Your mom couldn't stop crying because she realized your dad was an even bigger beta cuck provider then she initially hoped for.
>works himself to dead without skipping a day just so he can give your mom a nice big fat paycheck when he dies
>>
>>8781285
>I think they are wanting to compete with Walmart and Target stores.
German grocery stores have been investing big time in the US recently, and established American chains are getting worried.
>>
>>8781405
It was a peanut butter cup and it was fucking delicious.
>>
File: Eggplant undercover.jpg (46KB, 488x480px) Image search: [Google]
Eggplant undercover.jpg
46KB, 488x480px
What's the store policy of finding food that is supposed to be kept cold out of the fridge or freezer? If it has already warm, do you throw it away? Ditto for ice cream that feels squishy and melty.
>>
>>8781264
this is actually one of the best things you could of possibly done.
>>
>>8778947
>bread clerk has a retarded amount of responsibilities but I had no idea going into it
Dude I fucking hate this shit. I work as a stock boy at an electronics store and I literally have to manage all inventory, aside from ordering shit in and out of the store (which then becomes my problem when shit is out of stock or taking up too much space). Fuck this for $12 an hour.
>>
>>8777890
We need to so something about the homeless and/or mentally ill, not just for their welfare but the quality of life for everyone else really, I heard that homeless people is the reason there are less sitting areas in Downtown Toronto nowadays.
>>
>>8777913
My father had always done grocery shopping afterwork, and I've seen mothers with their children after school let out. I think the only major rush is probably before a long weekend, when the grocery store will be closed for a holiday. - someone who have been in a line stretching to the back of Sobrey's.
>>
>>8777989
>a housewife and a kid

The expense of a 'housewife' is a huge variable, it depends on how much she spends, how much she saves, and whether she earns any money on the side through occasional piecework, outside maid work, babysitting, and investing in stocks. My grandmother was a housewife but she also did some maid work now and then my mother was also a housewife but she invests in stocks and is always checking on them, and she did piecework for my uncle when it comes up (packaging gifts for companies, quality check, etc).

If I ever marry early enough to do the whole pregnancy and kids thing, I'll probably find something where I could do work from home. If I marry a single dad, then either me OR him can work from home. Outside childcare is expensive and school is getting more expensive while worthing less (more fees, some school mandate that you buy into the crappy school lunch program, bigger classes, etc).
>>
>>8781575
Still scared the shit out of me.
>>
>>8777989
>my wife's son
bruh no. You didn't create it, why the fuck do you pay it?
>>
>>8777826
dont take this outta context but you are wasting your life there friendo. if you are a key member and earn less than 60k you make less than a cdl truck driver with a years experience, and you are more stressed than the average joe.
>>
>>8780418
>I've been trying to assemble this ikea furniture by myself for the past couple hours, frustrating shit that only has pictures in the manual so I ended up putting a few pieces backwards.

I don't know why other people have troubling assembling IKEA furniture, I love its instruction manual because it has pictures instead of wall of text!

You should google the name of the product, there might be text step by step online, or, you can phone the store.

Putting pieces backwards is something I myself have done, but it wasn't the fault of the instruction, it was because I didn't read the whole set of instruction BEFORE I started Step 1. That's a bad thing to do when assembling furniture or when cooking.

>>8780512
>because seniors have this thing where they start their day at like 5AM
They have to do this because they have to take their medication. In the case of my late grandmother, she has to get up early when she lived in the senior building where she has to switching this hanging sign on her doorknob to indicate that she's awake and Alive! The sign has to be switched twice a day, at 8am and 8pm I think, and if it's not switched and the senior haven't signed out, then they knock and enter the apartment.

>>8780512
I comparison shop, I'm in Toronto, and Sobrey's tend to have cheaper fresh homo milk and juice while Metro tend to have cheaper frozen fruit, frozen dinner, and canned cream. This might be a local thing as my nearest Metro has a lot of freezers.

If I'm doing a lot of shoppings at one store, I'm not going to go to the other store for one item even if it's cheaper.

Friendly tellers do affect which line I pick, I just don't feel like dealing with someone rude. I hope tellers get paid more depending on how many people they process or something.

>>8781253
y halo thar! Which part of Canada are you in?

I love how Sobrey's have a wide variety of Champan's ice cream (eating my Orange Pineapple) and I like their lemon chicken rice dinner.
>>
>>8781595
yep lol my dad was the sole earner for a while but when me and my brother went to high school my mom went back to work and immediately was making a huge sum (like 40% more) of his income (X1.4). Housewife not really an expense there.
>>
>>8777890
>locking up the beer at 6PM

This is the most unbelievable part of the story.
>>
>>8779009
Are you allowed to take it home for yourself? What a waste of food
>>
>>8779480

>>8779534
I worked at this small flower shop in the suburbs that gets inventory delivered twice a week, buckets and boxes of flowers that fill the space in front of our store from the front at the curb to the back of the wide sidewalk every time.

So knowing this, the logical way to unload the full truck would be to walk a few steps and set down the first boxes and buckets at the back of the sidewalk - but my co-worker who has been there for a ten years always set down the first boxes and buckets on the curb, so that when that line of space is filled up, we have to walk AROUND those inventory to set additional stuff at the back - it creates more work as well as a tripping hazard, she also yells at me, "where are you going" when she sees me 'walking away' with the first boxes and buckets to set them down further from the truck...

Ancient Chinese saying, there is no medicine that can cure stupdity.

Fun fact: Roses always come in boxes (except for this one time in Valentine's day), and they are usually from Ecuador, I think the long stems come almost as tall as me, we have to cut a lot of stem off and dip the stem in a special solution before we put them in their bucket for sale.

My advice is to never buy roses at the grocery store, their lifespan greatly shorten as soon as they are out of water, but that they have started to wilt doesn't show for hours (they make good dried flowers after all), if you must buy flowers at the grocery store instead of supporting a florist, stick to tulips and mums - those can survive a bit out of water.

The heaviest thing out of the truck is always the buckets of lily, they are heavy plants from top to bottom, and because they drink a lot of water, the bucket is always at least 1/3 full of water.
>>
>>8781717
It's the back door, not a door inside the store.
If you're on about the 6PM you should be more concerned with him saying it's past vendor hours (meaning the store is closed anyways)
>>
>>8781678
The biggest expense is the children, but well, if you have a family that have to rely on a single income, even if it's only a two person household, it can be difficult depending on the people involve in the equation.

My mother never went back to working a regular outside /career/. She was the only housewife in our family and extended family, so she did a lot of odd jobs paid and unpaid. Every time there is an election she went to work as a poll clerk or a deputy returning officer - it's a one day job, or two weeks, for advance poll, and people basically go get a one hour training a month before, and get paid for that training as well post the election - pretty much all the poll clerks and dro are housewives and retirees!
>>
>>8781264
So what happened after? Did she say anything specific about you?
>>
>>8781264
>>Everything has been scrubbed to a fine shine and the fuckups are placed in areas they will not be seen.

Ah, inspection days at every company and at every public school every where...
>>
>>8781789
We laughed about it and she commented on my customer service skills.
No real backpats from management.
>>
File: Child Endangerment.jpg (103KB, 634x664px) Image search: [Google]
Child Endangerment.jpg
103KB, 634x664px
>>8778062
>WiC
Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) |

Eh, I'm a Canadian, what's a guy doing with a WIC card?

It's kinda weird that specify what % that milk must be, different people have different fat requirements. Is this one of those stupid 'health' restriction of calories? I always buy homo milk with 3.25% M.F., I don't /add/ fat to my food and I don't take it out. I find that homo milk with cornflakes and bananas is enough of a breakfast or late dinner to keep me full and off fast food.

>>8778044
Don't like, don't read. This applies to fanfic with a pairing you don't like and ck post with a topic you don't care for.

>>8780350
>What if that had been a kid instead of a bum?
Kids have parents to look after them. Kids who are freeranged before they are smart enough to be freeranged have stupid parents and when they are darwined out, Nothing of Value Is Lost.
>>
>>8778409
I usually put things back where they belong when I decided I don't want to buy it anymore, but I tend to leave cans turned to the back because I figured someone else would want to read the ingredients too - I'm just going turn it back to the front from now on...
>>
>>8777826
>Been employed for almost a decade now, went from basic bagger bitch to a key member.
How old are you and how much does a key member make?
>>
>>8781071
>When we combined his vacation compensation with the life insurance he took out my mom couldn't stop crying because this was exactly what he was planning before he died.

Reminds me of that story about the wife who sold her hair to buy a chain for her husband's watch and her husband who sold his watch to buy her a beautiful comb. I bet your mother is grateful he saved so much but wish he had taken more time off to spend with her. Sucks that he didn't even make it to retirement.
>>
>>8781071
>My father was a mailman for USPS and he had almost 1500 hours of paid vacation
no, we can only roll over 440 to the next year, it's been that way for decades. Sick time on the other hand is unlimited and 1500 hours isn't anything unusual for a carrier to have.
>>
OP here, I got woke up in the middle of the night by the thunderstorm here and it cut off my power apparently. I'll answer some more questions using my tethered laptop before trying to go back to sleep, although I don't have work until tomorrow evening.

>>8781571
This happens all the time. What we do here is that we attempt to refridgerate them back to proper temperatures to salvage them. I remember the ice cream aisle's freezer failed once, and I had to pull a bagger aside so we could haul away three shopping carts full of melted ice cream over to the back storage. At least one cartful of it was unsalvageable and we had it reclaimed, but luckily a company repairman was able to fix the freezer within an hour.
You see, anything that can't be sold anymore in the store whether it's because it's expired, damaged, or some other reason is put through a reclamation process. Basically, this means that the product manufacturer takes back units of their product from us so that neither of us totally lose money on them. In this case, the store was incurring a loss on the ice cream by having to reclaim it because the damage was on our part, but because it's reclamation we aren't just losing the money outright like we would have if it was just shrink.
>>
>>8781902
One of the reason I never buy sushi from the supermarket is that someone could have taken it out of the fridge, and then it could have been put back after it's been found warm...

I usually pick ice cream at the back cause I reason there is less chance if it being the one that's been put back after it's been out too long, sometimes the ice cream is kinda icy.
>>
>>8780418

>obeys union laws on 4chan
>a japanese board for pornographic cartoons

calm down lad, lmao

what do you think, the safeway union is going to kneecap you for spreading lies on this weebshit board?
>>
>>8781652
You didn't read the thread

>>8781770
When I said vendor hours I was talking about the people employed by product companies and the timeframe in which they're allowed to do any and all product management in the store, not about the store's open door hours.

>>8781810
WiC doesn't mean that the customer has to be one of those, just that it's meant to buy items for them. WiC users usually come in the form of a married couple with a child in the cart. It does seem strange that WiC is very specific about the % and size but I've never looked into it.

>>8781920
It's actually funny how people think the further back an item is the least handled when the opposite is usually true. Most shelf items are stocked from the front, with the oldest and most handled items being in the back. Exceptions would be refrigerated/freezer shelves if you can see that there's a room behind them, those are stocked from the back with the oldest and most handled items being the first on the shelf.
I couldn't find the exact strip now, but there's one in Whomp! where Ronnie takes a bag of chips from the very back and they're all smashed to dust. That type of scenario is more true than you think.
If you're pulling ice cream from the back and it's stocked from the front you're most likely getting the oldest one, and thus the one most likely to have been taken out of the freezer the most.

>>8781923
I might not lose my legs but I'd definitely incur penalties from both the union and work if they find out who I am. I try to not be vague about this but I'll avoid the line as much as I can.
>>
>>8781979
I'd like to add that for that specific Whomp! strip, that trick only works for other shoppers and only if they don't get in your line. Once it hits the checkstand's conveyor belt your shame and tv dinners are laid out for all to see, especially for the employees.
>>
>>8780469
you literally come off as a retard. who the fuck puts that much effort, and dedicates that much of their live into working at a grocery store?
>>
File: 1491402695927.png (469KB, 808x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1491402695927.png
469KB, 808x1000px
>>8780469
>>8780418
This isn't your average wageslaving, this is extreme wageslaving.
>>
>>8781979
>That type of scenario is more true than you think.
>If you're pulling ice cream from the back and it's stocked from the front you're most likely getting the oldest one, and thus the one most likely to have been taken out of the freezer the most.

;_;

I aim to get the second one, so it's not the very back.

But is there some health and safety regulation about not putting some items back if it's probably been out too long? What's not salvagable beyond "it LOOKs so badly a customer wouldn't buy it"?
>>
>>8782001
>you literally come off as a retard. who the fuck puts that much effort, and dedicates that much of their live into working at a grocery store?

It doesn't matter what you job is, as long as it bring value to society, you should do your best at it. My parents raise me to be the best that I can be, but said that even if I end up as a janitor, I should aim to make mine the cleanest street.

The only job where half-assing or outright sabotage is okay is when it's something harmful to society, like telemarketing where you are convincing people to buy bullshit, but grocery is kinda necessary service to society.
>>
>>8782035
working in a shit job like virtually any position in a grocery store is meant for teenagers and the like. actually dedicating your life, or at least the prime of your life, to such a shit job just shows that you are fine with wasting your potential or have no potential to begin with.

as a janitor you can always at least open your own cleaning company/service once you learn the ropes. it's pretty obvious that this guy won't open his own grocery store.
>>
>>8782035
pure ideology
>>
>>8782047
>working in a shit job

What a shitty, nigger attitude you have.
>>
>>8782035
>It doesn't matter what you job is, as long as it bring value to society, you should do your best at it.
>>
>>8782047
I suppose 'shit jobs' are above your dignity and you rather be on welfare and/or steal and/or pimp and/or deal then?

If it's work that contribute to society, it's good work.

Compensation is a different thing entirely. I believe in a strong social safety net so people can work without worrying about meds/housing. - Canadian.
>>
File: IMG_2116.jpg (22KB, 300x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2116.jpg
22KB, 300x500px
>>8782105
>implying pimpin' is easy
>>
>>8777826
What is this plebbit tier ama bullshit? Fuck off with this garbage. What does your mindless job have to do with cooking?
>>
File: [Ladders Intensify].jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
[Ladders Intensify].jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>8781902
>mfw I got called from my department to Deli because the coolers all broke down.
>All of the open air coolers.
You can be a bitch as not say shit about your store but it was a Kroger store.
>Had to pile food into carts of food into the stock room.
>Calmly trying to explain to customers why they cannot buy the chicken when the package is bloated and sitting at 70 f.
>Learn that day the Lunchables spoil really fucking fast.
>>
>>8782116
He said it's a shit job, not an easy one
>>
>>8782154
>>Learn that day the Lunchables spoil really fucking fast.

Wait a minute, but aren't lunchables made for kids to take to school so they would be out of the fridge for a few hours before being eaten?
>>
>>8782240
They still have to be fucking cold.
>>
>>8780042
Kek
>>
>>8777826
Night stock was where I lost 100 pounds. 2000+ piece trucks 3 times a week you hustle your ass off.

Any fatfags wanna lose weight and get paid for it? Start eating right and go work night stock.
>>
>>8777934
Your a fucking loser
>>
>>8782522
This guy is correct as long as you actually come in and actually do your job. Overnights have ridiculous turnover rates from people that can't adjust their sleep schedule and people that don't think they have to work.
>>
I really need to stop forgetting my tripcode every time I open up this thread

>>8782001
There's nothing wrong with having a good work ethic even if it's not a luxurious job.

>>8782027
There's actually a long list of regulations for each item and what condition they're in that we're allowed to sell them. For ice cream and other frozen foods, they simply need to be kept frozen but if they melt like what happened before we're able to freeze them back up and sell them so long as they aren't completely liquefied or have had their contents spilt. Box containers can actually be sold even if the cardboard is damaged, something like a cereal box can be resealed with scotch tape and put back on the shelf if the plastic bag containing the cereal hasn't been tampered with.

>>8782154
Only thing worse than open coolers are the ice racks that the butchery uses. The meat clerk forgot to wipe them out one time and the entire department floor was covered in water and leftover fish juices. I never saw him again after that.

>>8782522
Baggers that do closing shift for the first time always complain about how much more labor they have to do despite there being next to no customer traffic. There's so much stuff you have to do in the background at night just so the store can operate for like 20 hours a day.
>>
>>8777826
>a key member

lol do you unlock tha doors or sumtin? tss tss
>>
>>8783221
I remember one day the seafood place gassed out the home department because some dipshit mixed chemicals.
And I didn't realize it and walked through what basically was tear gas training.
>>
>>8783229
Low class Wagecucks are so delusional they actually think they are "key members" of the store. It's honestly hilarious. Though I imagine if they accept the reality that they literally worthless cumrags they couldn't handle it
>>
>>8783229
it means he has a key to the store you fucking handitard
>>8783778
It takes many cogs to keep the machine rolling, there isn't room for everyone to call the shots
You're probably some tier 2 tech support fag who doesn't make 2x min wage but jacking off to your pseudo inflated ego
Go learn some empathy and stop masturbating to japanese cartoons
>>
>>8783802
Actually I'm a neet with very wealthy parents, and someday I'll take over my dad's company. Jealous?
>>
>>8783802
>literally being proud of being a cog
>>
File: 1491530091451.png (276KB, 547x736px) Image search: [Google]
1491530091451.png
276KB, 547x736px
>>8777847
H-E-B

Calling it right now.
>>
>>8783778
>>8783808
>>8783835
>literally being so worthless you have to act big on a 4chan board where one of the most popular threads is about what people ate when they were at their poorest
>>
>>8783979
You can be poor without being a kool-aid drinking cuck.
>>
>>8783808

I am your dad. Jealous?
>>
>work at a corporate-owned retail store
>every 2 weeks corporate sends down some new rule we have to follow or job we have to do
>the managers enforce it hard for 2 weeks until a new rule/job comes out and replaces the old one
>repeat forever

Retail sucks, don't ever do it.
>>
>>8777989
>that's where we go down every single aisle and >make the products "face" forward and up front so like when you see all those soup cans on the shelf all nice like that's me and people like me doing that

aww I used to work at HEB as a bagger at 16. we called it middday.
>>
This triggers the stocker.
>>
>>8785064
One time when I was like 14-15 I took like 2 things of breyers ice cream and then went to some random dry storage section, moved shit out of the way, put the ice cream way on the back of the shelf, and then moved a bunch of shit in front of it.
>>
>>8785085
Whoever they got to face the aisle probably found them later that night.

You feel like a hero now? Huh? You fucking cunt?
>>
>>8785064
who does this. i will find you and burn your house down
seriously? my momma taught me better
>>
I'm the Seafood Specialist (Seafood Department Manager, except Seafood is too small for its own manager) at a Publix

I'll contribute too
>>
>>8785093
That shit was at like 3 am at a walmart after that isle had been stocked. I thought it was hilarious at the time. Still kind of do.
>>
>>8785064
I've had someone do that with 2 pounds of grouper (@$23.99 a pound)

every time this happens I get unreasonably angry, and I usually remember who the customer is that I sold the fish to.
>>
>>8785085
One time when I was working at a grocery store someone took out one of those frozen tubes of raw turkey, put it on a shelf in the canned goods section, put a couple cans in front of it, and even faced them properly

Nobody discovered it until about 4 or 5 days later when it was in an advanced stage of rotting and infested with maggots and that entire aisle smelled like decay and we had to turn it upside down to figure out where it was coming from

That was the most disgusting thing I ever had to deal with at work
>>
>>8785143
This shit was 15 years ago so I dont remember exactly what section I put it in, but I sure as shit made it look like the shelf hadnt been touched.
>>
Right now publix is doing rather poorly, and is actually losing customers to a new (to the southeast) chain called "Sprouts"
Managers are losing sleep over it and Corporate is shaking in their boots

>>8781571
we have the "10 minute rule", if it's not back in a fridge/freezer or it's not cold to the touch it gets tossed.
>>
>>8785161
Yeah, I have to imagine anything that makes it out of the danger-zone isnt allowed to be sold at most grocery stores
>>
>>8777826
>went from basic bagger bitch to a key member

movin on up
>>
>>8785171
upper management use cart cunts and bag bitches to filter the wheat from the chaff
if you stick out to them you will get promoted and move up fast
which is an absolutely terrible move, ask me how I know
>>
>>8779480
>fucking warehouse monkeys fuck it up almost every single day
This. I worked for in a warehouse for a while and nobody gives a shit. I didn't. Most are fucking morons on top of that too.
>>
File: cut_veggies-300x225.jpg (28KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
cut_veggies-300x225.jpg
28KB, 300x225px
>>8779009
Any more stories about throwing shit out? I've heard something like 40% of food that goes to retail gets thrown away, and even worse for pre-retail (farming, transport) loss. Like, what's the percentage actually sold on pre-cut vegetables? Or all the cakes and pies I see rotting in the "last chance specials" section?
>>
>>8778947
I'd watch this movie
>>
>>8778044
still sad that daddy touched you in your sleep?
>>
I'm back for the night, ordered some Papa John's and Mountain Dew because it was also payday and I wanted to celebrate.

>>8785064
I actually just saw a deli-ordered submarine sandwich in the hot shelf we use for roast chicken before I punched out for the night. The cellophane wrap melted into the bread so that was a waste of about $6 right there.

>>8785085
>>8785142
>>8785143
This stuff actually reminds me of a fad long ago, sometime after I received my promotion: some idiot teenager grabs as many gallons of milk as they can hold and then they prat fall in the middle of the store, tossing the milk up in the air so that the gallons burst and milk and plastic spills out onto the floors. I remember hearing the other stores getting real antsy about it, and one of managers was seriously thinking about locking the dairy section up.
>>
>>8785621
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYK2j7s5Ono
>>
>>8785403
40% doesn't sound far off if we're talking about an average across all food retailers including gas stations and liquor stores. I presume a large portion of that comes from the food companies asking for recalls, like what happens with beef and pork in the US every couple of years because meat processing plants are fucking disgusting.
Our bargain bin here is just filled with seasonal, discontinued, or sometimes even damaged goods, like there's this Avengers advent calendar meant for last year's Christmas. My favorite is an eight pack of those mini Pepsi cans, but some jackass drank one of the cans so it's only seven now. Nobody's bothered removing the opened can from the pack yet because it's just totally neglected and no one on staff wants to interact with the bargain bin, I think I'll go do that tomorrow since I'm talking about it.
I don't really have a percentage for vegetables and baked goods since the invoices for those are handled by the department heads and they go straight to management.

>>8785660
Oh yeah that's definitely one of them. I wonder how many of these kids got sent to the hospital trying to rack up online views.
>>
>>8781652
>you make less than a cdl truck driver with a years experience

From many things I have read, truck drivers make more because it's really stressful and sleepy work, driving long distance, they are suppose to have rest breaks but there has been accidents after drivers kept driving to make deadline.

...and then, when the driver gets there early but the company isn't ready to accept the delivery yet, so they have to hang around (which was the case with the steel truck that got hijacked and drove into Germany's Christmas Market), does the driver still get paid for that time?

>>8777826
Dear OP

What does your store do with fruits and vegetables that has gone bad? Does it go straight into the trash or is there a compost or green bin?

The bulk of my veggie and fruit consumption is frozen and canned, I'm a picky eater so I lose less to spoilage, canned and frozen goods go on sale in better condition then fresh ones, and especially in the case of berries, frozen taste better.

I'm wondering though, accounting for spoilage, would canned be less wasteful and environmental over all? Though with frozen, I'll have to account for the electricity consumed...
>>
>>8780986
How much do you fucking make an hour that it's over 10k
>>
Work at a store as well. Work 3rd shifts.
>stocking pets section one night
>find a bunch of extra small condoms strewn all over the shelves of canned dog food

>stocking furniture section
>notice something weird about one of the ottomans
>open it up
>ottoman is just fucking stuffed with cheap clearanced clothes

>certain areas of the toy section look like they need a fucking FEMA camp no matter how much I organize it before I leave

>get new employee a few weeks before thanksgiving last year
>immediately knew he was a shitbag first day he started working
>gets written up twice for straight up spending his shifts on his phone in the restroom instead of actually working
>I call off sick one day
>it's the day that I missed watching the fucker get hauled away by police because he tried to steal almost $1k in electronics while at work
>>
>>8781571
The store I work at has me hand it to the guy that stocks the frozen food since he's really the only one allowed in the freezer and the freezer has a special area of it cordoned off for damaged shit.
>>
>>8781071
I mean back when i worked retail social workers would walk in at around 10 bring a herd of retards, let their roam the store for several hours while they had coffee and cake in the cafeteria.

Just wondering if that ever hampend at your place of employment.
>>
>>8786283
The clerk that works in produce department rounds up all the spoiled, damaged, and scrapped produce and puts them into a separate compost bin just for produce. I don't know where those go after that, though I've heard that many stores donate the scraps to local zoos and farms to avoid just wasting it entirely. Also, the cardboard boxes that produce is shipped in is reused throughout the store. We actually use them for our reclamation station and we also give them away to customers who use it for storage and shipping. To add to that, non-produce boxes are actually returned to their respective companies, they reuse the ones in good condition and repurpose the ones that are marred.
As for canned and frozen produce, those are down to personal preference. You should be aware that certain ones use GMOs such as corn, and many also carry extra additives and preservatives to give them their long term storage.

>>8786875
Our various back room freezers also have bins for damaged and expired goods, though anyone on staff is allowed to go into them. The meat locker also has a section just for extracting tallow from poor cuts and leftover pieces.

>>8787393
No we've never had anything like that happen.
>>
>>8785161
Sprouts is big on natural/organic like Whole Foods, but far more price competitive like the average supermarket. It's an attractive combo for people who prefer those sorts of items.

>>8787393
Retirement homes do this for old folks twice a week at my store. It results in a massive bottleneck almost everywhere since they always do it mid-afternoon.

I think the state's tard corps here takes its clients to any Walmart that still has a McDonald's.
>>
>it's a "a second customer walks up to the meat counter while you're helping a different person already and starts loudly complaining to the one you're helping about a bad interaction they had at the counter a week ago and the other customer clearly doesn't give a shit but has to pretend to care so they awkwardly say "oh, really? that's crazy..." as they're grabbing their stuff and about to walk away" episode
>>
>>8787533
>Sprouts is big on natural/organic like Whole Foods, but far more price competitive like the average supermarket. It's an attractive combo for people who prefer those sorts of items.

that's why Publix is so scared.
Publix knows it's overpriced for the same product elsewhere. They've justified it in the past with quality customer service, however, it's been going downhill (and competitors have been catching up).
So when you can buy the organic equivalent at the same price, it sorta undermines their/our entire business model.
>>
>>8777890
Kroger?
>>
>>8786779
In my 10 years working there I never took a day of vacation.
>>
>>8777913
When there is a storm coming what foods do people stock up on other than bread, flour and eggs? I went to a store when a storm was supposed to be coming (a big storm that never hit us) and the tomato sauce was wiped out. I also saw a guy in the check out line with with four big ass jugs of salsa.
>>
>>8777826
My spouse worked in a grocery store while we were in uni. He always worked nights, to accommodate his schedule. Anyway, the store was just off campus, right by the medical school. Once, some med students decided to get up to shenanigans, and they hid pickled fetuses in the beer section, the jarred pickles section, and the meat section. It caused quite the uproar. That was a long time ago, though, before the stores had so many cameras. They never caught the students who did it.
>>
>>8788616
canned soup, bottled water, snack foods (of course), spam, and alcohol
>>
caught anybody upskirting? i upskirt a lot in supermarkets with shopping basket and cell phone in there :)
>>
>>8787533
>I think the state's tard corps here takes its clients to any Walmart that still has a McDonald's.

I think the social workers definitely broke rules by leaving their clients alone and fucking off to have coffee and cake while they were most certainly on the clock - did the look like Affirmative Action hires?

On social outings, mentally retarded people, especially those who are so severely disabled they are housed together, need to be supervised

As for retirement homes, my late gran used to live in a nice seniors building right across the street from a giant mall, but because the road was busy and wide, and so was the parking lot, there was a bus that could drive them there, but it was only several times a year.

That mall has a Price Chopper that sold a lot of items aimed at seniors (lactose free milk, soy milk, skim milk, calcium milk) that are not so price chopped...they have a captive audience!

Frankly I think malls should arrange buses to senior homes because a lot of seniors actually buy stuff, and I have noted that hordes of geezers are an excellent delinquent deterrent. The Tribe of Low Trousers may prey on the lone seniors, but when they are outnumbered 30 to 1 and the seniors are holding canes, you see this look in the punks eyes like they just came outside during the scene in The Birds.
>>
>>8785403
>Or all the cakes and pies I see rotting in the "last chance specials" section?

Stores need to be pressure to put things on steeper sales then the 30% I frequently see at Loblaws.

This especially goes for stores that target a rich audience and/or located in a rich area. I used to work in a super old money area where the customers were the old rich or their servants. The old rich aren't going to buy the baked goods after a day so it just sits there for another week until it goes on a 50% sale and the servants buy it at the end of their shifts. I've seen them throw away carts of food at the back, and it's not smart, because they have a small parking lot, more trash means the dumpster space runs out fast and they have to get a truck in between the cars - can't do this too early or too late because the neighbourhood would complain about the noise.
>>
>>8785194
>if you stick out to them you will get promoted and move up fast
>which is an absolutely terrible move, ask me how I know

More responsibility, but little pay raise?

>>8787480
I would think that all corn from US, fresh or canned, would probably be GMO.

Salt was used when canning haven't been perfected yet, and I have noticed that canned soup with peel-away-tops tend to have more salt than soup without a peel-away-top. With things like tomatoes, e.g. my made in Italty Auora brand cherry tomatoes, the only thing in it is cherry tomatoes and tomato juice. It's naturally acidic.

With frozen fruits, I dont' see any additives in the ingreidents list, it's just the fruit, the temperature is what preserves it.

>>8788683
What did the store do with the fetuses? Give it back to the school?

>>8788806
I always have several weeks worth of canned food in my apartment because I buy in bulk when they are on sale. So before a storm (whenever there is a weather alert), I just stock up on milk, bananas, bread, snacks, prepared meals, and also cleaning supplies - because I won't be going out anyways.
>>
>>8777847
You work for super1 owned by Miners
>>
>>8789881
>More responsibility, but little pay raise?
exactly. I'm practically a department manager but they keep me part time with 0 benefits and only 2 dollars above minimum, but I'm expected to maintain my quality of work.
>>
File: 1440128410953.jpg (46KB, 340x382px) Image search: [Google]
1440128410953.jpg
46KB, 340x382px
>>8777826
>closing

24hr Kroger veteran here. When did you all open back up?
>>
>>8785621
>Gallon smashing
Related
https://youtu.be/glgblV7Un_g
>>
>>8780986
You should actually to get it regularly rather than let it build up to avaid getting into a higher tax bracket
>>
>>8781634
Train your reading comprehension before learning stupid memes.
Thread posts: 227
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.