[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

guys i want to buy into the sous vide meme. what do i need to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: tendies, legos and diapers.jpg (44KB, 479x400px) Image search: [Google]
tendies, legos and diapers.jpg
44KB, 479x400px
guys i want to buy into the sous vide meme.

what do i need to know, to make a total fool of myself and regret it all alter as i cry myself to sleep?
>>
don't. it's literally hospital tier food

just cook better
>>
>>8751386
The only thing it's good for is cooking a steak that has no raw center, but also isn't beef jerky in the outside. It's an edible form of "look at what is technically possible to do", like making a baking soda volcano.

You can do it in your home, probably without buying anything you don't already have in the house. You're curiosity will be satisfied, and you won't want to make the mess it take the time afterwards.
>>
>>8751386
Buy:
this - https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Temperature-Controller-Thermocouple-58-194-F/dp/B00F05UI8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490902215&sr=8-1&keywords=docooler+temperature
and this - https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Power-Extension-Cord-5-15R/dp/B00BBDKSVQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490902300&sr=8-3&keywords=3ft+extension+cable
and this - https://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-3-Quart-Manual-Stainless-SCR300SS/dp/B003UCG8II/ref=sr_1_7?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1490902255&sr=1-7&keywords=crock+pot

Bam. Cheap DIY sous vide
>>
>>8751462
>cooking a steak that has no raw center, but also isn't beef jerky in the outside
thats exactly what i need to do.
>>8751476
thanks bro
>>
>>8751386
>boiling your steaks in a plastic bag for 6 hours using your cell phone to do so

Who is responsible for this?
>>
File: 20170319_232449.jpg (1MB, 2015x2362px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_232449.jpg
1MB, 2015x2362px
>>8751484
just cook better
>>
File: Capture.jpg (56KB, 775x590px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
56KB, 775x590px
>>8751476
>>8751484
Lol, just buy one. They're cheap as fuck.

Did burgers last nigh.
Carne asada the night before.
Ribeye a couple nights before.

Also use it for eggs, ribs, double cut pork chops, wings, beef shoulder, reheating mashed potatoes.
>>
>>8751559
$40 for the DIY one compared to $130. Even if $130 is still relatively cheap you're a retard.
>>
>>8751780
DIY doesn't have a circulator, requires a crock pot, is limited to the size of the crock pot, and is hot on the bottom (uneven heat). You'd be better off just maintaining the temp on a range top rather than throwing your money away on that "DIY" garbage,
cunt.
>>
>>8751900
I've used a DIY setup for years now, none of the factors you mention matter. The water circulates itself via convection. I use a portable electric heating element and a big stock pot when I want to do larger items, like a whole turkey for instance. You clearly have never done DIY sous vide before and just want to argue your point.
>>
>>8751970
Using a thermostat to control the heat of water isn't "DIY".
Convection isn't circulation.
And now you went from needing 2 items to needing 3 items -you're approching the same price as an all in one unit.

Obviously you just want to argue your point
?
>>
>>8752089
I just got here, but how is using a thermostat not DIY? By that logic I'm not driving, my car is
>>
>>8753838
>maintaining the temp on a range top
I've done it. Had to use the lowest setting on the range and add ice cubes at increments.
A thermostat that regulates the water temperature... how is that "DIY"? It's almost like saying that a slow cooker is "DIY".
>>
>>8753838
Also, your car doesn't regulate its speed.
>>
Also, also
I use a Sansaire at work. I have to add boiling water to the bath so that it can reach it's desired temp, but I push that little machine. It is a little work-horse,
for anyone in the industry who thinks they need a polyscience rig. You don't. The Sansaire is rated to 5 gallons of liquid which is ... w/e ... I use it in a 20 gallon bath and it is fine, once it gets up to temp, which requires thought.
>>
>>8752089
Crockpot + inkbird

$25 perfect suis vide. Come at me.
>>
>>8751386
All you need is a pot, two candy thermometers, a cooler, and a plastic bag large enough to hold whatever you're cooking. Heat the water in your pot until it's at the temperature that you need, then fill your cooler up, put your food in the bag, squeeze out the air, put the bag in the cooler with the water, monitor the temperature of the water in the cooler, and when it gets lower than you want just bail a little water out to make room for some hotter water from the pot.

Voila, you have a poor man's sous-vide machine.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.