[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Local grocery had chicken legs and thighs on sale and I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 20170326_140158.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_140158.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Local grocery had chicken legs and thighs on sale and I just bought a grill (charcoal) a week ago.

Any tips on cooking chicken on a charcoal grill? Never did it before and I want to learn. It seems like a lot of trial and error involved.
>>
>>8733466
It's easy. Season them first, but don't apply any sauce yet.

Set up your grill for indirect cooking. That means you put the coals to the side so the chicken isn't directly over the coals. Cook until the chicken is cooked through with the lid on.

Then apply sauce (if you are using it), and move the chicken on top of the coals to finish the outside. That takes just a minute or two with the lid off.
>>
>>8733472
Seconding this. Dont make the mistake of cooking them directly over coals the entire time or you'll just burn the inside and still be raw in the middle
>>
>>8733466
It's not too hard.
>Open your bottom vents all the way
>Top vents about 1/2 open
>Use a whole bag of charcoal
>Let it go completely gray before adding the chicken
>Use plenty of salt in your rub, and get it under the skin
>Cook it skin-side up for the first 30 minutes
>Don't open the lid if you can help it
>Turn it after 30 minutes, cook for another 20 minutes or so until it's done
At this point you can sauce it or whatever. If that's your thing, brush some on every 5 minutes, turning in between applications, for about 20 minutes.
>>
>>8733480
>>Use a whole bag of charcoal

Why do people post stupid shit like this without specifying the size of the bag?
>>
>>8733466
Covered, indirect heat. When your charcoal is white hot, push the coals to one side and place the chicken on the opposite side and cover. It won't dry out or burn that way.
>>
>>8733472
This is backwards.

The biggest keys to improve your grilling:
1. Create a hot side and cool side, as mentioned.
2. Season, but don't sauce.
3. Sear first
4. Sauce and finish with indirect heat
5. Use a thermometer to make sure you don't overcook
6. Rest your protein before serving.
>>
>>8733472
>>8733475
Thanks. There's a reason /ck/ is the best board. Most of my grilling experience is just burgers and hot dogs.

My grill has a double level. Is it okay to cook the chicken over the coals if I use the top half, or is that not considered "indirect?"
>>
>>8733497

Level (the height above coals) doesn't achieve much of anything, despite the fact that many grills have adjustable grate levels or multiple grates. Refer to Modernist Cuisine if you want to learn the science behind it.

For indirect cooking you want the coals off to the SIDE, not under the food to be grilled.
>>
>>8733485
Because most charcoal comes in 10 pound bags
>>
>>8733497
I can't picture how you'd arrange your coals, but your "direct" cooking side should be hot enough to sear your protein, while the indirect side allows you to cook without searing.
>>
>>8733509

And this is the problem exactly. In my area you can't even find a 10 lb bag. Smallest is 6, next is 12.5, then 25, 40, and 50 lbs.

Buying anything other than the 50 is stupid because the smaller ones are much more expensive per unit weight.
>>
>>8733506
>>8733515
Cool. Thanks for the advice, I'm excited to try this out.
>>
>>8733466
Do a beer can chicken
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A1I8sK0LkQ
>>
File: 20170326_173728.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_173728.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
OP again, thanks for the advice. Chicken came out great.

Shout out to Chef John from fooooooooood wishes DOT com for the marinade recipe.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.