[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have any advice for a person who wants to be a bartender/sommelier?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: bar.jpeg.png.gf.jpg (2MB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
bar.jpeg.png.gf.jpg
2MB, 2500x1667px
Does anyone have any advice for a person who wants to be a bartender/sommelier? Something like basics to know and learn and how to pass a proper CV. And is it actually worth it to work in a gay bar for tips?
>>
Depends. How old are you and how are your looks.
If you are good looking male 20+ then you can get into the job quite easy without any further training and get the basics on the fly.
If you want to do it for a living well into your older years you should probably pick up other stuff.

>And is it actually worth it to work in a gay bar for tips?
Experience is experience which is good. But you should be comfortable in your skin because they are going to want your butt. And if that weirds you out you wont have a nice time.
>>
>>8733554
I'm already putting time in a course related to restaurants in general so I already have some recommendations since it's half practical work.
>>
File: creamsickle.jpg (16KB, 480x400px) Image search: [Google]
creamsickle.jpg
16KB, 480x400px
>>8733303
Worship your barbacks the way kitchen staff worships their dishwasher. Yeah they may just be running ice and kegs but they'll save your ass if you need saving.

Be energetic, don't ever look bored and work the crowd. Don't get roped into a 15 minute monologue from some guy talking about 'nam and them filthy gooks.

Never show up hungover, or your legs will turn to cement, know booze but don't use booze...also never let customers buy you drinks because they think it's the same as a tip and you get fucked.
>>
>>8733554
This.

If you're young and good looking you can easily get a bartending gig.

Now if you're not so good looking or well fat you're going to have to beat out the chads with knowledge. You might have to toil away as a barback for a while. Might have to take some classes (big cities tend to have at least one legit Bartending School). You'll probably find a divebar that'll take you.

Some of the best Bartenders look like dorks, but you become the best by knowing your craft. Memorize drinks, learn how to talk to drunks and be clean and well groomed.

Like being a server it's a good gig. Your competition (other bartenders) are often party animal dopes who are destined to burn out. If you can keep your nose clean you can get a nice gig in a club or a restaurant.

The only downside is there really isn't job security unless you get a union gig. But once you hit the latter half of 40 you should be trying to get into Management jobs anyway.
>>
>>8733303
Don't drink the product and take pills.
>>
>>8733303
Getting a bar job is easy. Just apply for it and get one. It's not exactly a prestigious or good job unless you get a job in a wine or cocktail bar in a fancy hotel or something
t.Bartender
>>
>>8733590
If you have gastronomic experience and can handle some high stress situation then that should give you a good foot in the door. Your employer will like that.
You didn't answer yet if you are a fat autistic fuck or somewhat presentable. Because if not, you might just focus your energy somewhere else. Sounds harsh but is how it is.

>>8733631
>>8733628
These are pretty spot on too. But how do you manage to not drink yourself?
I don't take every other shot with the customers, but I thoroughly enjoy drinking with good customers during the slower hours.
>>
>>8733628
>Don't get roped into a 15 minute monologue from some guy talking about 'nam and them filthy gooks.
Sometimes those Vets are the ones who'll tip you $20 bucks for a $5 beer though.

I think generally it's alright to talk to the old lonely guys, they're drinking at your bar to talk to you after all, just walk around and make sure everyone is taken care of.
>>
>>8733696
Yeah assuming your bar doesn't have 30 other patrons.

You're right though, most people will understand when your busy, but when you are you can't get roped in by one person.
>>
>>8733649

I've always thought about being a bartender, but I was never sure if it was a realistic goal or not, so I never really got into it. Is taking a "class" worth it to land a job or will most places take an amateur?
>>
>>8733675
>But how do you manage to not drink yourself?
Generally it's only a concern for female bartenders. But I have my ways.

If you're fast enough you can just fill a shot glass with Water. They'll never know.

Next best thing is to just drink a weaker alcohol. A couple just insisted they wanted to do a shot with me so I made three Jolly Rancher Shots, you know what's in that?

>Sour Apple Pucker
>Amaretto
>Grenadine
>Sprite

Might as well being just sugar, no one's getting drunk off that.
>>
>>8733675
I'm social and not bad looking, haven't had issues with talking to anyone in years. I do act energetic and excited and always look helpful. And I don't drink at all unless it comes to some wine but even then never alone. Always been good with people that's why I decided to go into this.
>>
>>8733303
Becareful working in a gay bar. First you get the tip then they wanna give you the whole thing.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.