[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /ck/ hate hoppy beers? Also beer thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 45

File: hoppy.jpg (518KB, 1447x2175px) Image search: [Google]
hoppy.jpg
518KB, 1447x2175px
Why does /ck/ hate hoppy beers?

Also beer thread
>>
>>8727520
They taste bad to me. I don't like hops at all.
>>
>>8727520
A combination of reasons.
1) They're the trendy thing to like right now
2) Some people just don't like hoppy beers
3) Hoppy beers tend to age badly
4) Market saturation. For me personally I don't dislike hoppy beers, but I'm just bored of them
>>
>/ck/ hate hoppy beers

That's like asking why /ck/ hates food.

It's just the same fast food kids who've invaded the board from /tv/ or whatever dead boards in the past couple of years. Of course /ck/ loves IPA's and most other popular beer styles.

Lagunitas is pretty mediocre, tho.
>>
4chan hates everything
>>
they're too 1-dimensional
>>
>>8727520
Because autists balance out the intimidation they feel towards normies by hating on things they notice the normies specifically enjoying. It is the autists satisfaction.
>>
>>8727542

>i would slap anyone irl who admitted to not liking something because it's popular (not really)
>those people don't like beer; virtually all beer has hops
>not having access to fresh beer isn't an excuse to dismiss an entire style
>just because there are lots of hop forward beers out there doesn't mean anyone is forcing you to order/purchase them; they've hardly been trendy for half a decade now
>>
>>8727551
This is why I like them though. It's never a surprise, I can always be guaranteed that I'll like it, and they're usually pretty strong too. Sometimes I don't want to gamble on a new beer variety.
>>
>>8727551

I bet you think all wine falls into the three categories of red wine, white wine, and... whatever that third one is, tee hee.
>>
Head Topper, or nothing
>>
It's a regional thing. I'm in San Diego so I'm huge into IPA's. I understand people not liking hoppy beers as I get they are an acquired taste but they sure are good. Plus at like 7%+ it's easier on the belly to drink 6 instead of a 12 pack of 3.5% swill.
>>
>>8727585

Come out to California some time. It'll blow your mind.
>>
>>8727585
Is that available anywhere besides the northeast?
>>
File: 1476251108391.jpg (11KB, 226x255px) Image search: [Google]
1476251108391.jpg
11KB, 226x255px
>http://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/science-confirms-that-people-who-like-ipas-are-psychopaths/
Hmm...
>>
>>8727617

They're just regular ale's, dum dum.
>>
>>8727585
Ha fucking trash meme beer. The fogglebanger is wayyyyyyyyy better
>>
I think people like hoppy beer because it reminds then of soda
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>8727543
>this post
>>
>>8727594
it only can be bought in vermont
>>
>>8727643

Hoppy is bitter and bitter is the furthest from sweet... but you knew that.
>>
>>8727542
>Market saturation
this

I absolutely love GOOD ipa but since it's become so popular any and everyone tries to put out some type of unbalanced, overly hopped crap and sell it for $14 a bottle

best breweries with best ipa's
> Sweetwater
> Mammoth
> anything in Asheville
>>
File: c_beer_image.gif (687B, 150x300px) Image search: [Google]
c_beer_image.gif
687B, 150x300px
>>8727585

>Pliny the elder
>Pliny the younger

People line up around the block to get these
>>
>>8727684
I'm a santa rosa fag and can confirm this.
>>
>>8727684

>live in middle of the road norcal
>not too big of a place, not too small of a place
>no hipsters, but probably 300 rotating taps withing 20 minutes of me because people like beer
>have pliny on tap a couple times a week with dinner and don't even think twice about it

It would be pretty great were I am if I weren't surrounded by a bunch of Trump fags.
>>
File: 1488233814024.jpg (118KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1488233814024.jpg
118KB, 768x1024px
>>8727690
>>
File: ElderYounger.png (171KB, 370x339px) Image search: [Google]
ElderYounger.png
171KB, 370x339px
>>8727687

better picture

yea that shit is majestic

may be a contender with Mammoth 395 dipa for being my official favorite
>>
File: 300.gif (1MB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
300.gif
1MB, 160x160px
>>8727690
> a bunch of Trump fags

stick with corona
>>
>>8727703

Those are the ones who come into these amazing bars and say, "I don't even need to look at the tap list, give me a coors light/corona/etc, no glass."

It's pretty embarrassing.
>>
>>8727542

>They're the trendy thing to like right now

Yeah, maybe in the fucking early 2000s hoppy beers were the trendy thing. Like all great things, it starts out as a trend and then it's here to stay. We didn't get rid of televisions or smartphones after they stopped being trendy because they're dope staples in our lives now.

>Some people just don't like hoppy beers

Loaded statement. There is a vastly wide range of inexperienced and experienced beer drinkers in the craft beer world. If you surveyed enough people, you'd find that those who are least experienced tend not to like hoppy beers and those who are experienced do, or at the very least can still appreciate them without them being their favorite style. It has everything to do with experience.

>Hoppy beers tend to age badly

Hence why beer manufacturers have put so much emphasis on freshness in recent years (date labels being a must, production/distribution working together to get their product to stores as soon as humanely possible, etc.) We can do that now with beer. I've bought IPAs from bottle shops that were delivered that day and the date code on the bottle/can will be within the week. It's an amazing time to be drinking IPAs right now.

>Market saturation. For me personally I don't dislike hoppy beers, but I'm just bored of them

Eh, to each their own.
>>
>>8727540
Amen. Fucking hate hops. So many other things you can love inside beer.
>>
>>8727520
Because stouts, porters and belgians exist.
>>
>>8727520
tastes like grass and literally every hipster's like "muh hops" and shame u if you dont drink ipa
>>
>>8730054
Why are you consorting with hipsters in the first place?
>>
>>8727520
it's the result of the age group here

mature palates are generally more diverse, I didn't drink black coffee until my 30's for instance

older people prefer bolder flavors in general, and this place skews young
>>
>>8727690
>trumpfags

Everywhere is great if you don't have them sliming around. Sadly, in the south they're everywhere.
>>
Because most IPAs are bitter hop bombs devoid of any malt flavor, pandering to the hipster alcoholic who only wants to have his palate and brain smashed with hops and alcohol. More thought is put into an ironic post-modern label than to the actual taste of the beer.
I bought a 4 pack of Bell's two hearted the other day, and while i like most other Bell's beers this beer was an abysmal, flavorless hop bomb. No way it's a world class beer. The best IPAs have a great balance between the hop bill and the malt bill (think 90 minute IPA or Sweetwater)
>>
>>8727520

Beer makes me feel like shit, IPAs even more so. When I have 2 they put me to sleep and give me the WORST hangovers.
>>
>>8730105
>older people prefer bolder flavors in general, and this place skews young

Then why do older people tend to prefer more "bland" beers? It seems like the young people live IPAs, sours, and beers with unique fruit notes, whereas older people like more traditional lagers.
>>
>>8727687
sonoma count fag
can confirm gay ass line
blind pig is way better
>>
>>8727617
>barstoolsports.com

impressive reference you've got there
>>
File: o-HIPSTER-DRINKING-facebook[1].jpg (206KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
o-HIPSTER-DRINKING-facebook[1].jpg
206KB, 1536x1024px
>>8730054

>a skinhead hipster used to make me sit on a bottle of green flash every night in juvie while he shoved his cock down my throat until he came, forcing me to dine on his load
>to this day i cannot disassociate the scent of simcoe, columbus, and citra from the taste of his thick, wet loads
>>
>>8727543
>dad loves hoppy beers, Lagunitas especially
>only respite is when mom has me go out and pick up a case of Blue Moon every once in a while
>>
>>8727520
I don't hate them. I just need a bit of a break. The self-denying hipster contingent of my so-called-friends keeps trying to inflict them upon me.
>>
>>8728604
My dear friend, I didn't say they were good reasons.
>>
>>8732456

It's okay, I was just PRETENDING to be serious xD
>>
>>8727590
>I'm in San Diego so I'm huge into IPA's
What is a tautology
>>
>>8732600

Yeah, really. Stephen King was using the term "hop heads" to describe San Diegoans back in the 80s. This shit is not new.
>>
>>8727520
Limp-wristed euros.
>>
>>8732607
It is in flyover land, they think they invented craft beer in 2014, inb4 banned for wrong opinions
>>
File: ahjee.png (214KB, 380x270px) Image search: [Google]
ahjee.png
214KB, 380x270px
>>8727679
>Sweetwater

Their IPA is ehhh. I like their Hop Hash India Brown Ale ok.

Pic related probably my favorite IPA.
>>
>>8732619

And midwest beer is absolutely abysmal. I lived new St. Louis for two years and the people ranted and raved about Shlafly like it was some cutting edge brewery changing the game with every beer they put it. Absolute garbage.
>>
>>8727520
I don't hate hoppy beers. I hate the abuse of Simcoe, Cascade, Chinook, and lately Citra (although I like it better than the others). The whole pine-forest-beaten-to-death-with-key-limes-and-grapefruits flavour... it's good when it's subtle, and really really unsubtle when it's overdone.
>>
>>8732640
>And midwest beer is absolutely abysmal.

Objectively incorrect. St. Louis might suck, but Cincinnati (and Ohio in general) has a wide, diverse selection of craft breweries that make incredible beer.
>>
>>8734562

>muh 3 floyds
>muh surly

Never seen someone so butthurt that they don't live in North Carolina
>>
>>8734587
>butthurt

I am sure North Carolina has good beer. This is not a zero sum game. Just stating that the midwest has a great craft beer scene happening.

And fuck you, three floyds is great.
>>
>>8732626
>Jai Alai
My nigga. Lunch by Maine Brewing is really good, as well as Sip of Sunshine from some brewery in Vermont.
>>
>>8727520
They're very bitter. Humans instinctually associate bitterness with poison
>>
>>8734630
you're just making shit up on the internet
>>
>>8727520
The only reason I hate IPAs is because every beer recommendation seems to be "we couldn't serve you puréed hops because it doesn't inherently contain alcohol, but here's the closest we can get" and a lot of enthusiasts/brewers like to one up each other in hops like the hot sauce guys do with spicy.
>>
This weekend my brother and I brought our dad to a self-brewing place for his birthday. They walk you through the steps of brewing your own beer but you get to use their nice ingredients and equipment (Build-a-Beer Workshop, as my brother put it). Daddyo opted for a Czech pilsner, which wouldn't have been my first choice, but hey it was his day. In three weeks we get to go back and bottle it all up, about 15 gallons worth. If you wanna come hang out and try some, we'll have a lot on hand :)
>>
I have never once in my life poured out a full beer in disgust.
Then I bought an IPA.

You people offend even those who survive on natty and milwaukee's best.
>>
>>8734597

>the midwest has a great craft beer scene happening

The United States has a great craft beer scene happening if you haven't noticed, but stating this isn't a "zero sum game" is simply attempt to ignore the fact that any region's craft beer scene can be judged by criteria - Concentration of breweries, critical acclamation of beers or widely renowned beers, and overall popularity. That being said, the midwest might have a stronger craft beer scene than ever, but pales in comparison to what California, Vermont, Colorado, and North Carolina have been doing for decades, just to name a few. People don't make pilgrimages to Ohio for their beer. You don't find Ohio's beer in bars and bottle shops across the country. It just isn't comparable.

>>8734630

Going against your primal instincts is imperative to appreciate anything in fine dining. Consider all of the products of fermentation that people consume regularly. Beer, wine, cheese, kombucha, yogurt, pickled vegetables, etc. They are all essentially spoiled rotten, sometimes to the point of decay, giving off tastes and odors that you would instinctually turn your nose up to, but we have evolved beyond that as humans.
>>
File: 3-26-17 beer.jpg (2MB, 2862x3409px) Image search: [Google]
3-26-17 beer.jpg
2MB, 2862x3409px
Went to the grocery store for food, came back with this

Just cracked open the DDH Sue, and it might be the best smelling pale ale I've encountered
>>
>>8727571
>Not liking hops as focal point means you don't like beer because all beer contains some of that flavor
>>
>>8734761
What? The midwest makes excellent beer, probably the best in the country overall. Even Northeast based websites like BA back that up. Now many of the states you listed are better than Ohio, but Ohio is barely even the midwest, and definitely not what most people are thinking when they think midwest beer
>>
File: la-trappe.png (366KB, 480x723px) Image search: [Google]
la-trappe.png
366KB, 480x723px
the best beer at binny's
>>
>>8735348

Like I said, I'm not doubting that Ohio has seen a boom in their craft beer scene. I'm not even saying that Ohio is devoid of any reputable breweries (fat head, great lakes, hoppin frog). What I am saying is that if Ohio was killing it like numerous other states in the country, I wouldn't have a case here.

>The midwest makes excellent beer, probably the best in the country overall

Now that's just audacious. Any landlocked state can't shake a stick at the beer that any state with a coast is making right now.
>>
I like hoppy beers but I hate the trend that's just cramming as many hops into the brewing process as physically possible. Overhopping just makes most of the beers taste the same.

Fathead head hunter is one of my favorite beers and utilizes hoppiness better than any other beer I've ever had.
>>
>>8735367
Thats just dumb. The upper midwest makes better beer than any other similarly sized area. The shear breadth of quality beer from all sorts of styles is insane. Of course pretty much every part of the country has at least pretty good beer, but nowhere has so many people making such excellent beer that you can actually get easily. Pretty much the West coast (primarily the northwest but San Diego too while most of California is utter shit) lead the first wave of craft beer in the 90s, but has fallen way behind in the last decade. The northeast was late to the game and is trying to catch up to the upper midwest, New England makes some great IPA, but a lot of gimmicky waiting in line bullshit, probably ahead of the west coast at this point though. Further south like New York and the midatlantic is quite a bit behind the previously mentioned area, and as you go further south it just gets worse.
Interesting trend across the country that as you go south beer almost always gets worse with San Diego being the one real exception
Anyone arguing that the upper midwest isn't top tier at beer is just trying to flyover meme a little too hard, and the Great Lakes are hardly landlocked
>>
>>8735396

The midatlantic states are making some of the best beer available today.

>Victory
>Dogfish head
>Troeggs
>Yards
>>
>>8735396

If we're ranking these regions by the same criteria, you just can't put the midwest up there like you want to. When considering the midwest as a whole, the great lakes can't pull the weight of the rest of the states that aren't producing memorable beer. Not to mention the midwest is historically home to the largest domestic beer producers in the country, AB and Pabst, which numerous of your "local" breweries are selling portions of their stake to just to stay afloat. Sad!
>>
>>8735405
The Midatlantic is fine, but hardly anything special
>>
>>8735427
Well then LA has to count against the west coast and The entire southeast against the East coast.
How we define regions is mostly arbitrary, but if you are into drinking good beer, the upper midwest is probably the best place to be right now (though obviously there are plenty of other really good places too, not saying your preferred region is bad unless you live in like Alabama, then its probably bad)
>>
I'm drinking Guinness Extra Stout, tastes like water. I thought that Guinness was supposed to be good.
>>
>>8727520
I don't hate hoppy beers.
>>
>>8732626
cigar city has some great stuff. tampa is a great place for beer drinking
>>
File: IMG_6707.jpg (170KB, 722x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6707.jpg
170KB, 722x1280px
Rate my setup?
>>
>>8732584
No probs.

Ausfag here, why do Americans argue about which region makes the best beer so much?
>>
>>8736428
We like to pretend that the fact that there's different demographics clustered throughout our clusterfuck of a country is unique to us and that every other country in the world is full of the exact same people in every region from border to border.
>>
>>8730371
Couldnt agree more
>>
Used to be a big fab. Dogfish head is my favorite ipa brewer.

On the other end new belgium mskes terrible ipa. Tastes like doing lines of pureed pine trees and lemon

As many itt have stated there are a lot of amateurish ipas on the market and many simply suck
>>
>>8727520
hating all hoppy beer is ridiculous, though I agree that a lot of beers on the market are overhopped right now, even more are underhopped though (almost every industrial lager)
most people who say they hate hoppy beer probably only tried one, and started with the hoppiest too or just hate craft beer beard hipsters so much it's blinded their taste buds
an overly bitter IPA that lacks balance is still much better than a tasteless, shitty corporate lager
>>
>>8727520
I drink beer for its magical property of making me shitfaced, not for its flavor. If I want flavor, I go for liquor
>>
File: st-bernardus-abt-12.jpg (2MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
st-bernardus-abt-12.jpg
2MB, 1936x2592px
>>8736619
I'll never understand why anyone would get shitfaced on beer. drinking liters of beer at a time is always heavy on my stomach, beer has way more calories than any strong spirit too and cheap beer tends to taste particularily shit compared to i.e. cheap vodka with coke
it's hard to say you don't like the taste of beer too, since it's probably the single most varied alcoholic beverage in the world. ever tried a nice quadruppel or imperial stout?
>>
>>8730240
eat my jorts libtard
>>
>>8727520
I don't like how intense the flavour is. I prefer a bitter or stout. Dark ale's are my preference. Also i find that they are too gassy which hurts my tongue.
>>
File: OskarBluesTenfidyBBA.jpg (599KB, 1175x2088px) Image search: [Google]
OskarBluesTenfidyBBA.jpg
599KB, 1175x2088px
Best barrel aged stout i have had so far!
>>
>>8735353
Belgian Ales>IPAs any day
>>
>tfw hops is loaded with phytoestrogens
>>
File: 1490643563217.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1490643563217.png
2MB, 1366x768px
>tfw Victory's Hop Wallop is gone forever
>>
File: 20170327_182841.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170327_182841.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Can't wait to enjoy these Avery's
>>
>>8734761
Usa beer = biggest shit that i i i i drunk. Germany beer= best beer in the world. Pilz beer are great . good old becks
>>
>>8727520
Because they're all just a boring competition for who can brew the most bitter beer.
>>
>>8738827
>>
>>8736619
I think you have that backwards
>>
File: Ale Asylum Bedlam1.jpg (384KB, 1600x1088px) Image search: [Google]
Ale Asylum Bedlam1.jpg
384KB, 1600x1088px
>>8737638
Belgian yeast IPA is the best
>>
>>8738827
Do you live in California 5-10 years ago?
>>
File: 2017-03-25 18.16.41.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-25 18.16.41.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
this was enjoyable with the weather (mid 70s not yet too humid)
>>
>>8739156
Any clearer, less fisheyed/cut off shots of that label?
>>
File: gallery_7015_1311_33589.jpg (54KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
gallery_7015_1311_33589.jpg
54KB, 528x960px
>>
>>8739254
depending on the hop and sweetness, that could be good.
>>
File: 20170327_211920.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170327_211920.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>8739244
here's the box
>>
>>8739262
It's a homebrew EKG first harvest ale.
>>
>>8738785
How's the Tweak? I've been meaning to try it for a while but I keep pushing it further back on my list.
>>
>>8739282
I've been drinking (admittedly my own homebrews) heavily... what's it like?

I'm getting the EKG aspect (would have expected nothing other than English or German aroma hops, although maybe a Galaxy garnish on a toothpick), but is the beer sweet and malty enough to actually be served steeping in its own hops or was that just a photoshoot opportunity?
>>
>>8738812

stop posting
>>
>>8727520
They all taste the same: like hops.
>>
>>8739777
>i hate wine it all tastes the same: like grapes
>>
File: Dose IPA.jpg (101KB, 744x1328px) Image search: [Google]
Dose IPA.jpg
101KB, 744x1328px
>>8732626
I'm in New England but I've heard this is godtier, and Sweetwater is decent, hop hash is cool

here is what I'm drinking which is pretty decent. I like IPAs a lot but lots of other beer styles are amazing stouts sours pilsner whatever, as long as its beer its cool w. me even pleb tier shit I guess if that floats your boat
>>
>>8739777
See if you can find one that advertises (and it will) that it doesn't use Cascade or Simcoe... if it's the lemony/grapefruit note that's bugging you more than the spicy-earthy notes, avoid Citra too.

There are plenty of ways to hop up a beer without making it taste unpalatably more IPA than IPA.
>>
thoughts on allagash?
>>
>>8738812
kill yourself
>>
File: degarde.jpg (82KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
degarde.jpg
82KB, 640x640px
>2017
>not exclusively drinking brewery only release sours
>>
>>8741335
>2017
>Limiting yourself in an increasingly diverse market.
>>
>>8736619
Interesting, if you change place on the words beer and liquor your sentence almost begin to make sense.
>>
>>8727520
dry lager is what I drink
>>
>>8727710
>Embarrassed because a stranger ordered something that isn't your preference

I can feel the autism radiating off you from here.

What, do you ask people who they voted for when they order a beer?
>>
File: IMG_1655.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1655.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Drinking my last glass of a nice cherry sour, folding clothes, and watching Vikings. What are my fellow anons enjoying with their brews this evening?
>>
>>8727520
Just a reminder that east coast ipa focused producers are bar none the greatest ipa producers ON THIS PLANET. dogfish head and flying dog are literally produced by and for g-ds
>>
>>8744274

You need to get out more. West Coast is best coast.
>>
>>8744335
not even close. how can you compete with literal G-Ds. enjoy your shit beer kiddster
>>
>>8727520
I am so glad the hoppiest IPA race is over. Competing for the most IBUs at the sacrifice of flavor was just such a stupid pissing contest.

I'm glad most of the ones out these days realize that IPAs can be good without being pure hoppes. Most are now balanced with a good malt these days, which taste great in their complexity instead of just being a forefront and aftertaste of bitter.
>>
>>8744274
Toppling Goliath is better though
>>
File: 1363121111580.jpg (73KB, 638x637px) Image search: [Google]
1363121111580.jpg
73KB, 638x637px
>>8727679
>>8727542
>go to "beer" bar
>there's only like 2 lagers out of 30+ beers
>>
>>8744363
>Competing for the most IBUs at the sacrifice of flavor was just such a stupid pissing contest.
Thanks California
>>
>>8744440
Seems a little low, but lagers are a pretty weak style, no one should waste too many taps on them
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (468KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
468KB, 3000x1688px
>>8732626
pic related is the actual best ipa rn
>>
>>8744458
Seriously, the upper midwest is the best when it comes to beer.
>>
>>8744422
the chocolate milk drinkers thread is 2 halls down and to the left kid
>>
File: DDH Sue.jpg (41KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
DDH Sue.jpg
41KB, 480x480px
>>8744473
um, what?
>>
>>8744485
you heard me kiddo. now try not to post in my thread ever again unless you have something to fucking contribute. ok
>>
File: Toppling Goliath Sosus.jpg (110KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Toppling Goliath Sosus.jpg
110KB, 640x640px
>>8744496
Seriously though, Toppling Goliath is better
>>
>>8744342
>how can you compete with literal G-Ds
What does this even mean?
>>
File: Pliny+%2526+Mongo[1].jpg (386KB, 968x1296px) Image search: [Google]
Pliny+%2526+Mongo[1].jpg
386KB, 968x1296px
>>8744442

Why do you spread these lies in every beer thread?

Everyone knows that California makes the best IPAs.
>>
>>8744652
California is a pretty average beer state in general, and its not good for IPA. California was the epicenter of mediocre West Coast style IPA and the super IBU race that came from it. While New England and the Midwest were perfecting well balanced, aromatic IPAs, California was still mostly just making mediocre bitter IPA. Pliny is great in the landscape of California beer, but its nothing special compared to what northern brewers are doing, and have been doing for quite a while.

Considering how fucking huge it is, California should really be doing better
>>
File: 1386312459481[1].png (24KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1386312459481[1].png
24KB, 625x626px
>>8744674
>>
>>8732626

Nyucuh, you in FL?
>>
>>8744686
Some of the lesser populated parts of California are a bit above average for beer, but the main part of the state, LA, is way below average so as a state, its average at best
and don't get me wrong, Pliny is a very good beer, but its just not as good as the top northern style IPAs
>>
>>8732640

Does Minneapolis count as Midwest beer? If so, you are incorrect, sir. Minneapolis has beer that will challenge anywhere else in the US.
>>
File: P1090645.jpg (1MB, 4272x2856px) Image search: [Google]
P1090645.jpg
1MB, 4272x2856px
>>8734562

>Pours respectfully
>>
File: 59436965[1].png (51KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
59436965[1].png
51KB, 625x626px
>>8744697

>the main part of the state, LA
>>
>>8744700
>Does Minneapolis count as Midwest beer
Of course it does. The stretch from Michigan, Chicago, Wisconsin, to Minneapolis and Northeast Iowa makes the best beer in the world
>>
>>8744711
Its by far the most important part of the state, and shit for beer
>>
>>8744718

The cultural, financial, and literal capitals are all in Northern California, and everyone knows that if you're talking about SoCal beer you're talking about San Diego.

I have a feeling you've never been out of flyover land.
>>
>>8744733
San Diego is well above average for beer, mainly on a quantity rather than quality basis, but still good, but its still a tiny, insignificant place in the greater scheme of California

Also lol that you think Norcal is the cultural and financial capital of California

Also, I was in California a few weeks ago
>>
>>8744747

>lol that you think Norcal is the cultural and financial capital of California

Not sure if baiting or actually retarded.
>>
>>8744758
Socal objectively has a higher GDP. LA is a giant fucking sprawl of a city and 'culture' is a pretty vague and meaningless term, but by pretty much any definition Socal is the leader of that
>>
>>8727520
Why is there an entire thread devoted to hipsters defending ipas?

Can you guys just fuck off and stop shilling poo in loo type shit beer?
This board is for palatable things, and sorry, it's not your day guys.

>every post is about how the Midwest makes great beer
>150 posts
>>
>>8744771
Do you live in 2007 Mississippi? IPA is hipster?
>>
File: IMG_0277 (1).jpg (681KB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0277 (1).jpg
681KB, 2016x1512px
This is drinking really well. Roasty, nice plum flavors, a lot of dark chocolate. Glad I got these on sale for 8$ a four pack in my area. It's hard to come around a good Russian Imperial that isn't Old Rasputin in Southern California.

>>8737225
Do you have an Untappd or BA?

>>8738785
Tweak is probably the best barrel aged coffee stout I've ever had. It's the tits.

>>8744224
I'm enjoying a post work vidya session. BotW is pretty nice. 112 Shrines in.

>>8744771
>Midwest
>Great anything
>>
>>8744716

Deluded flyovers trying to forget that they have Chiraq, East St. Louis, and Detroit in that same stretch. The Midwest, where the beer is worth dying for!
>>
File: yokohama-xpa_glass.jpg (190KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
yokohama-xpa_glass.jpg
190KB, 1400x1400px
>>8727520
WorldWorld’sBest IPA PaleAle no.1
YOKOHAMA XPA

http://beerguild.co.uk/worlds-best-beers-announced-by-world-beer-awards-2013/
>>
>>8745447
You realize that it's super easy to not go to the ghetto, right? One of the great things about the Midwest is how compartmentalized and easily avoidable all the bad stuff is
>>
>>8745447
>Deluded coasties who generalize an entire geographical region and cherry pick three cities as a way of derailing the fact that beers from the midwest are objectively superior to beers on the west coast in terms of quality, balance, and diversity of beer styles.
>>
>>8744599
>censor the lord's name lest we use it in vain, committing an act of blasphemy resulting in eternal damnation.
>>
>>8744765
Take out hollywood and realise how little socal actually contributes
>>
>>8744440
Lager is harder to make. Mainstream mass produced beer had me turned off lager. Not too long ago though I had a local produced quasi-micro lager that was very nice with a nice malty finish on it. But yeah, harder to make for these small producers.
>>
>>8746526
this. your typical lager doesn't have the strong flavors required to hide flaws so in order to be tasty it needs to be almost flawless which is hard to achieve
>>
>>8745378
>>Midwest
>>Great anything
You literally praised two different beers from the Midwest in your post.
>>
>>8744747

>Also lol that you think Norcal is the cultural and financial capital of California

What is SF and the Bay area?

What is Silicon Valley?
>>
>>8727542
this is the most objective and correct answer
>>
File: thisrty monk downstairs.jpg (274KB, 990x660px) Image search: [Google]
thisrty monk downstairs.jpg
274KB, 990x660px
>>8727679
>> anything in Asheville

Absolutely. Asheville is just a beer paradise period. If anybody ever goes there go to the Thirsty Monk or Wicked Weed.

Pic related is the Belgian style downstairs.
>>
>>8746535
It was temperature requirements that I was thinking about. That's a good point though, much harder to hide inadequacies behind the light format a lager presents.
>>
>>8746692

>much harder to hide inadequacies behind the light format a lager presents

This is the dumbest argument that people always make. Just because a beer is heavier or has more ingredients doesn't mean those ingredients are covering up the flavor or somehow "masking inadequacies" - they literally constitute the flavor.
>>
>>8746704
strong hop or dark flavors can easily mask common beer flaws
your typical pilsner doesn't have strong flavors like that
>>
>>8746732

Maybe if you're talking about adjuncts, but there's no reason imperfections in the wort/fermentation of dark malts would be any less noticeable than in that of lighter malts. And hops compliment the malts, not mask it (if it is masking it then it's a shit beer, but that's extremely rare in my experience).
>>
>>8746704
>because a beer is heavier or has more ingredients doesn't mean those ingredients are covering up the flavor or somehow "masking inadequacies"

That's not at all what I wrote.
>>
>hate hops
>live in oceanside
>stone pale ale brewing co in my backyard
>pizza port brewing co in my backyard
>a billion breweries that all do IPA, half of them famous, in my backyard
>every single beer is a double IPA
>mfw

i like hard cider and the only ones i can find are mass produced shit like angry orchard
>>
as a fake german, fuck all of you
>>
Why do people like beer when it tastes like shit? I had a pliny the elder and it tasted like fucking shit water.
>>
File: beer.png (48KB, 599x282px) Image search: [Google]
beer.png
48KB, 599x282px
>>8747506
we love tricking people like you into drinking it
>>
>>8747018

Just because San Diego is heavy on hop forward beers doesn't mean you can't walk into any brewery tap room and find other solid options (yes, even Stone and Green Flash will have non-IPA things on tap). Lost Abbey makes exclusively Belgian style ales.
>>
>>8747018
Sounds like you need to move
>>
who /wisconsin/ here
>>
>>8747557

Who /mediocre/ here
>>
>>8747018
>>8747540

>born in san diego but moved as a baby
>tfw you'll never be able to afford to move back
>>
>>8746033

sorry it takes you 11 hours to drive to the nearest beach
>>
File: flyover'''''foood''''''''.jpg (311KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
flyover'''''foood''''''''.jpg
311KB, 1280x960px
ITT: oxycodone addicted hillbillies try to rationalize how their shit doesn't stink
>>
>>8739297
just had it, you're in for a treat.
>>
>>8747506
>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18
>>
>>8741347
this desu senpai baka
>>
>>8744422
agreed, dfh is still really good though
>>
File: 3 Sheeps Cashmere Hammer.jpg (82KB, 860x470px) Image search: [Google]
3 Sheeps Cashmere Hammer.jpg
82KB, 860x470px
>>8747557
drinking some of this tonight
>>
>>8747781
Are you 12? Why is this even something that matters? Also the great lakes have very nice beaches when they aren't frozen
>>
File: sj.jpg (342KB, 765x1024px) Image search: [Google]
sj.jpg
342KB, 765x1024px
do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of this
>>
>>8746684
>Thirsty Monk

this place kinda sucks. Cool atmosphere but I don't remember anything but unremarkable beers, other places beers, and high prices...

If you go to Asheville get someone to show you where Burial is first, then The High Wire
>>
>>8749199

wew
>>
>>8744693
Nope AL.
>>
>>8727520
about to drink a beer made by a friend's friend
I have no idea what the style is but it seems to be fairly pale and cloudy
wish me luck
>>
>>8749405
Damn, it must have gone downhill, I haven't been there since 2013 and I remember it having an incredible selection back then. Oh well, that's bad news.
>>
File: millstone.jpg (190KB, 1500x700px) Image search: [Google]
millstone.jpg
190KB, 1500x700px
>>8747018
come to MD my man, mid atlantic is primo for ciders.
>>
File: 452679.jpg?v=2.jpg (25KB, 270x300px) Image search: [Google]
452679.jpg?v=2.jpg
25KB, 270x300px
So what's the worst beer you've ever drank?

For me it would have to be this. Exclusive to Lidl and it's probably the most bland, tasteless beer I've ever drank. Pretty much just tastes like water that had bread soaking in it for a little bit.
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.