[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got some very firm tofu for the first time. Never even tried

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: cut-tofu-squares.jpg (73KB, 580x359px) Image search: [Google]
cut-tofu-squares.jpg
73KB, 580x359px
Got some very firm tofu for the first time. Never even tried it before.

How do I prepare it the first time so I'll want to buy it again?
>>
>>8723713
That is aged Brie or Parmesan?
>>
>>8723720
yes
>>
>>8723723
Thank you
>>
File: 20170131_213454.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170131_213454.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>8723713
>Make up a veggie/chicken broth w/ bay leaves
>Toss in bok choy and tofu cubes
>Thai chilis in there, either cut up practically into powder or make them into spicey oil or however you want to put them in the soup
>Add the fattiest coconut milk you can get
>Cook good, spice nice

It's delicious, easy, and pretty nutritious. Real cheap too. Here's a picture of a bowl. Camera is poop.
>>
>>8723713
this is the only way it's tolerable pretty much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob2CYmTx9PM

the idea is to cut it thin, maybe 5-8mm and fry it on both sides to give it crust, otherwise it's going to be terrible texture.
>>
make a chocolate tofu pie.
surprisingly good.
make sure to use an oreo crust
plenty of recipes online
>>
>>8723713
You don't. Tofu is disgusting.
>>
Find a red Thai curry recipe that looks good.

Alternatively press the moisture out for half an hour, cut it into strips, marinate it in soy sauce, garlic, and a bit of sesame oil and bake it at 350 degrees or so until you like the way it looks. Comes out tasting like crisp bacon honestly.
>>
General tso Tofu

I used this recipe

http://minimalistbaker.com/general-tsos-tofu/

only thing i would do different is roll each piece of tofu in cornstarch instead of trying to coat it by shaking cornstarch in a bag with the tofu as the recipe suggest. Drying out the tofu really well first, marinading it, then coating it in corn starch makes tofu way better than it usually is imo. more of a meaty texture.
>>
Tofu contribute nothing to a dish. It is a vessel for whatever you put it in. It's not good for the body either. To each their own.
>>
>>8723757
Who is this lady? I love her. She's so cute. I want her to be my mom.
>>
Thought that was Normandy butter. Am disappoint.
>>
>>8723713
When I first started buying tofu I was really disappointed because it never had as good of texture as when I got it at restaurants but then I learned the trick to get a nice chewy tofu.

>if water packed then press it for 20 - 30 minutes
>bake in the oven at 400 until it just starts to brown
>fry it

This will reduce the mass of the tofu by quite a lot (say 50%) but it's give you a nice chewy texture and I'll hold its shape. Otherwise it tends to fall apart and have a mushy texture.
>>
>>8724122
found her channel last night and apparently she started a cooking show 5 years ago and has done some TED talks and interviews with the media so I'd say she's probably successful. She still makes recent vids too.
>>
Make some korean food like dobu-jorim
>>
Just eat it raw.
>>
The only time I've tried it was in chicken soup from a restaurant in Korea, and it was actually pretty good. You need it to soak up some sort of flavour for it to be it's best, like mushrooms.
>>
>>8723821
How do you press moisture out of it? Just set it on top of something absorbent and put something heavy on it?
>>
File: EZ-Tofu-Press-For-Web_4403.jpg (61KB, 800x558px) Image search: [Google]
EZ-Tofu-Press-For-Web_4403.jpg
61KB, 800x558px
>>8724517
Yeah, I normally put some paper towels around the tofu and then put it between two plates with a large can of tomatoes on top. The idea is that the more moisture removed from the tofu, the more of the sauce or marinade or whatever is going to get absorbed.

They also make tofu presses
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.