[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone here make their own butter and care to share any tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: butterMain.jpg (33KB, 504x378px) Image search: [Google]
butterMain.jpg
33KB, 504x378px
anyone here make their own butter and care to share any tips or info?

i never have but i buy butter and buttermilk and this seems like an economical way to cut out a few middle men
>>
>>8714337
Buy heavy cream.

Toss in a food processor.

The whipping will consolidate the fats into butter, and the leftover will be butter milk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd6lTz-NlEI
>>
>>8714355
Basically this. I've almost whipped whipping cream too long and it was actually getting quite stiff on it's own. As a happy accident, I think sweetened butter, or it having flavouring added to it while in it's cream stages, might be an interesting niche.
>>
>>8714355
will a blender work? i don't have a food processor

also.. why is it's shelf life so much shorter than store butter
>inb4 preservatives
i just looked, the butter i've had sitting on the counter for 2 weeks has cream and sea salt listed as ingredients
>>
>>8714372
>will a blender work?

It should, yes.

After you process the cream into butter, clarify some of the butter for cooking.
>>
>>8714372
ultra-pasteurized heavy whipping cream instead of normal pasteurization I guess
>>
>>8714372

You realize that salt is a preservative, right?
>>
File: 1490093058705.jpg (15KB, 301x353px) Image search: [Google]
1490093058705.jpg
15KB, 301x353px
>>8714337
>mfw dad used to make butter
>I still remember the brilliant taste of my childhood

I-I need to make butter
>>
>>8714550
yes. but the woman salted the butter and that video and still said it only lasts a week in the fridge

i think it's what >>8714536 said
>>
>>8714920
>and still said it only lasts a week in the fridge

That's not true at all.

Just put it in a clean mason jar, cap it, and it will keep as long as you need it to in the fridge.
>>
>>8714337
You need cream to make butter, so make sure you check the math before assuming you are saving money. A producer buying whole milk/cream by the tanker-truck instead of by the pint will be able to offer a whole different scale.

And when you make butter by hand there will be liquid left over but it is not what you would consider 'buttermilk'. The stuff labeled buttermilk on the shelf, all tangy and whatnot, is pretty much just milk w/ 1% fat with a culture added to it similar to yogurt.
>>
The home made stuff always has a good bit of milk/cream left in the butter. If you wash your butter in cold water severs times, that will help it last longer, but it still wont be as pure as commercially made, and thus, will still spoil faster.

After washing 4 or 5 times I've had home made butter, with salt, honey and cinammon, last a month or more.
>>
File: leo2.png (354KB, 579x765px) Image search: [Google]
leo2.png
354KB, 579x765px
>>8714366
>>
>>8715137
>facebookers
>>
>>8714337
Once my roommate burned out the hand mixer so i tried to make whipped cream with my immersion blender and the speed was too high and I made sweet butter. I salted it and ate it on toast. It was good.
>>
>>8714550
Not enough salt is added to butter to preserve it.
>>
>>8715137
How do they know that percentage?
>>
>>8715315
Because they're the ones dispersing the chemicals that are killing the bees through their dryer vents and said poppy perfumes have tainted them into believing things that are not true, like bee extinction is unstoppable, or 97% of people won't give a shit.
>>
>>8714337
>buy good quality cream
>whip the fuck out of it in a mixer, food processor, or blender, until it's fully separated
>drain off and reserve the liquid (buttermilk)
>wash several times with cold water, draining well in between
>for best results, beat/knead your new butter on a sloped surface to get out any remaining liquid
>season with salt if desired
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.