[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what pan should I buy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 23

File: fry-pan.jpg (50KB, 1500x947px) Image search: [Google]
fry-pan.jpg
50KB, 1500x947px
what pan should I buy?
>>
What are you going to do with it?
>>
>>8713806
You wanna be a little more specific, buddy? Clarify what exactly you want in terms of functionality and purpose in terms of what you're trying to fry.
>>
>>8713815
>>8713816
everything, I want to buy 1 pan for life
I want to cook sauces, fry meats, saute vegetables
>>
Everyone who cooks regularly should own: 10-12" cast iron or carbon steel skillet, 3-5qt saute pan, 1 stock pot, 1 sauce pan, 8-10" non stick (preferably ceramic or something). That should cover pretty much anything you want to do.

A dutch oven is also great, maybe not so much if you don't do volume cooking.
>>
>>8713825
Wrong answer. There is no such thing as a right tool for every job.

That said, carbon steel or stainless is the closest you get for that long lasting effect.

>>8713837
This guy gets it.
>>
>>8713825
Carbon Steel woks are normally good for most of that stuff. Expensive but useful for mainly anything pan Asian or Indian.
>>
>>8713848
ok i get it

Carbon steel or stainless steel for first long lasting pan then?
>>
>>8713837
Yeah basically this list covers all the shit you need.

That or start cooking Chinese and get a good wok.
>>
>>8713853
18/10 aluminum
all clad mc2
cuisinart mcp

these are best bang for buck
>>
>>8713895
anything for a yurofag?
>>
>>8713806
Everyone knows only faggots cook with pans. Real men hold their food directly over the fire with their hands.
>>
>>8713928
O rly? What does that make you then?
>>8713816
>>8713859
>>
>>8713977
It makes me a furry.
>>
>>8713916

Demeyre Atlantis. God tier, but not cheap. At least it's expensive in the US. It might be cheaper in Europe?

I've heard many good things about Scanpan, but I haven't used one personally so I have no idea if the hype is true.
>>
File: 1477331038662.jpg (8KB, 250x196px)
1477331038662.jpg
8KB, 250x196px
>>8713981
Mkay
>>
>>8713806
Just buy a good non-stick and be done with unless the autism inside is screeching out for finesse
>>
>>8713806
Give me your money you cheap prick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oWHLaKPjps
>>
>>8713806
let me just say before you bu an all-clad that I fucking hate their handles. I never thought I'd care about some stupid shit like that but they are incredibly uncomfortable. that being said I have three all-clad pans and they are still cool.
>>
12 inch carbon steel
>>
>>8714002

Okay I know this is a made-for-tv item, but it looks good. Who wants to tell me why it's a piece of shit I shouldn't buy
>>
>>8714002
big lots has copper pans on sale, 20$ or the set for 60$
>>
>>8714047
lol, those aren't copper
>>8713916
mauviel m250
>>
>>8713928
Some prick edited my post, but that is me on another board~
>>
>>8714090
>tripfag
>furfag
die
>>
File: trash.jpg (31KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
trash.jpg
31KB, 300x400px
>>8713981
>lion furry
>name is leo
>>
>>8714094
I've kept it under my hat until now. Somebody thought they'd be clever and try to attack me on here, but whatever. I'm not gonna project it all over the board out of some sense of being petty.
>>
File: leo1.jpg (572KB, 1032x958px) Image search: [Google]
leo1.jpg
572KB, 1032x958px
>>8714109
He's also a fucking LEAF
>>
File: leo3.png (105KB, 583x492px) Image search: [Google]
leo3.png
105KB, 583x492px
>>8714115
shut up autist
>>
>>8714109
Yeah, ya got me there. I was not original at 16 when I made my character. Roast me all ya want over it.

>>8714116
Truly the worst of sins.

>>8714121
What do you want me to do, man? It's just part of who I am. This board treats autism like lepers. I can't really blame you when there's a large amount of genuinely socially fucked up people who don't know how to compose themselves on board and utterly lack all social skills, but attacking everyone doesn't help shit.
>>
>>8714155
>What do you want me to do, man?

Stop namefagging and tripfagging. It's an anonymous board.

If you don't want people to "roast you" then stop drawing attention to yourself with the damn name/trip.
>>
File: leo8.png (658KB, 1078x932px)
leo8.png
658KB, 1078x932px
>>8714155
>What do you want me to do, man?
I want you to go play with your legos, baby boy.
>>
>>8714155
don't listen to the haters, the lack of trips in /ck/ has made this place fucking boring

I tried it for a while but the mod got so butthurt that I started getting ban evasion bans even when I wasn't banned. this lasted for about a year

keep up the good work and don't let the anonymoos spergs browbeat you into submission, if the mods have a problem they aren't shy about abusing their powers to stop you and at that point it becomes a personal decision to resist or submit
>>
>>8714252
>spergs
You're aware that ol' Leo literally has autism, right?
>>
>>8714258
so much the better
autism is interesting
>>
>>8714267
Okay, you're also aware that calling someone a sperg is the same as saying they're autistic, right?
>>
>>8714279
Eh, frankly the shitty autists and spergs, real or not, deserve the crap they get on the boards. Ineptitude is ineptitude, but this place is with no kid gloves.

>>8714252
Useful notes~ appreciate your input.
>>
>>8714116
I try to belive that everyone on 4chan is just a clever troll and then shit like this is posted.

This is why I dont tell people I post here.
>>
>>8714352
The only good autist is a dead autist.
>>
>>8714368
Yeah, I kinda fucked up. 20-20 hindsight, yadda yadda.
>>
>>8714373
WHY WOULD YOU TRIPFAG, LET ALONE TRIPFAG WITH YOUR REAL FUCKING NAME?
Oh, that's right, you're retarded.
>>
File: pot.png (2MB, 1336x750px) Image search: [Google]
pot.png
2MB, 1336x750px
This seems like the thread to ask.

What the fuck happened to my pot?

What's with all the rainbow discoloration?

Is this thing still safe to use?
>>
>>8714417
That's caused by mineral residue from the water.

It's perfectly safe to use.
>>
>>8714417
It's just a little bit of oxidization, nothing to worry about. If it really bothers you, you can use vinegar to get rid of it, or just cook something acidic in the pot.
>>
>>8714427
>>8714428
Cool, thanks for replies!
>>
What can you guys say about ceramic pans?
>>
>>8714515
They're shit, unless they're cast iron coated with ceramic.
>>
>>8714518
Thx
>>
>>8714417
i've been using a perfectly seasoned cast iron pan for years and i've never gotten that

learn to cook
>>
>>8714641

Of course you wouldn't get it on a CI pan, it's coated with a layer of seasoning. And even if it did occur you would probably never see it thanks to the black color of the pan.
>>
>>8714641
Wow, it's almost like iron and stainless steel are different.
>>
Are cast iron pans a meme? I've heard them mentioned in reddit comments more than anywhere else, in threads where the topic is anything but pan discussion. Sounds like something nerds would buy to boast about every chance they get.
>>
>>8714718
Your post is 100% true, but they definitely have their uses, mainly when you want to bake or fry something to maximum crispiness. I find that multiply stainless/aluminum pans are the most versatile, however, and you can get by with having a set of those plus a single large cast iron skillet. Some people like bare cast iron dutch ovens, but I prefer the enameled version.
>>
>>8714718
i got one recently and bacon and eggs, roasted chicken, and burgers have all been fantastic with it.
>>
>>8714718

Nah, they're great for pretty much everything except acid based shit, like mater' sauce.

I love my CI dutch oven. That nigger's the bomb, though heave as fuck.
>>
>>8714775
Pan sauces from cast iron pans taste like shit, though. Stainless steel will always be superior for that reason.
>>
Will share some experiences

Stainless

Pros: Durable, easy to clean, looks good, the aluminum disk ones (sandwiched inside) are okay to cook with as far as temperature diffusion, nothing special as far as temp though
Cons: more expensive than cast iron or carbon steel, usually heavier since usually are aluminum disk sandwiched, not really non stick at all so fat in the pan is a must, and have to use a lot

Cast Iron

Pros: the most durable, can absolutely murder it, can throw it in the oven for baking straight from the stove, can hold seasoning very well so will rarely burn or stick if you have fat in the pan as well, okay temp diffusion but excellent thermal mass (hot pan stays hot when you drop in cold food)
Cons: the heaviest, 12" pan is almost unusable, 10" will leave you with pain if used professionally, seasoning can backfire if you make it hot, will burn off the oil everywhere your food isnt, leaving your room a smoky mess, the seasoning can also be shit canola oil if its pre-seasoned and hard to tell that really
>>
>>8714718
they're good for hamburgers and steak, which /ck/ seems to think are incredibly complex tasks

they're clumsy and have poor performance for applications other than "blast object with as much heat as physically possible, remove object from pan"
>>
>>8714733
>>8714781
>>8714861
>>8714877
basically these
>>
>>8714861

Good point from other anon you cannot go CI only, enamel covered cast iron is a choice but expensive usually, continuing on...

Carbon Steel

Pros: cheap, light, durable usually more than stainless but less than CI, temp diffusion not so great but thin so heats up quick, just have to use a lot of fat
Cons: will look dirtier than stainless, can rust, have to clean quicker / cannot be such a lazy bitch

Copper (lined with tin)

Pros: god-tier temp diffusion, tin is also non-stick naturally, so will not wear out its qualities (Tfal and ceramic will lose this, ceramic pretty quickly), light enough to use easily, absolutely gorgeous in person if you keep it polished
Cons: expensive as living shit even if you buy new, tin melts at 450F so you have to be real careful with flame and always make sure the pan is full of fat/food before you put it on flame (this is really big, its why they consider it an "expert" level tool), tin is also quite soft for metal so have to use bamboo/silicon cooking implements

This link should help you learn more about copper, if you are already here you will appreciate its autism

http://www.brooklyncoppercookware.com/pure-metal-cookware/
>>
>>8714891
copper is niche, and carbon steel doesn't do anything better than any other pans.
>>
>>8714891
as an owner of both tinned and stainless lined copper, tinned copper is the most fedora of cookware

stainless otoh is the GOAT
>>
>>8714877

CI is also extremely useful for baking. Steel bakeware has shit tendency to warp.

>>8714861

To to sum up my situation, I have stainless coated with "non-stick" ceramic and am looking to get rid of it. I also have a CI pan pre-seasoned with low smoke-point horseshit oil and am looking to get rid of it. I will be getting something vintage in copper, at least 2mm, preferably 2.5mm that needs re-tinning, then i will send it to East Coast tinning for hand re-tinning. I hope to get a 10" workhorse pan and maybe a two-burner skillet, not much else because it is massively expensive even when you get the used stuff almost for free.

I have cuisinart stainless steel pots, which is fine, because they are always full of liquid, which transmits the heat for you. I also have stainless steel with aluminum disk inside pans of 8", 10", 12" from some off-brand, like Sur La Table store brand. This is for things I want to beat the shit out of like stir fry, or for extras during a big cook. I have aluminum bakeware and its serviceable but i want to replace it with cast iron bakeware, have to look into whether carbon steel bakeware is possible or practical.

Will now try to conclude with an appendix of why everything I have not covered is not even worth it, will mirror a lot of what is on Brooklyn Copper's website.
>>
>>8714946
warping (other than from serious abuse) will happen to thin sheet metal pans

stop confusing the construction with the material
>>
>>8714974
>>8714946
also, I regularly roast small meat pieces in a big thick bialetti aluminum roasting pan after years of cast iron and the results are far superior. no burn spots, perfectly even heat distribution even in a mediocre oven
>>
>>8714909

"niche" is not an argument, nor an insult

>>8714943

If thats how you feel thats fine, but once again something being fedora is not an argument. I stand behind stainless lined copper being too expensive for how much better is is than stainless-alum disk.

>>8714946

Ceramic lined pans: worst heat transmission of them all, non-stick property does not survive, in fact it is the least non-stick of all linings pretty soon. I dont recommend them anywhere.
Aluminum: in any of its naked forms (food touching the aluminum) this material is carcinogenic. There is a large body of literature on the subject pretty flatly showing that ingesting aluminum (soda cans, pots and pans, deodorant with alumina as active ingredient) causes cancer, that simple. Its being pretty heavily astroturfed by the large aluminum industry but its there, get rid of this metal wherever it touches you or your food.
Non-tinned Copper: more expensive than entry level stainless with aluminum disk by factor of 3-5x, I dont see 3-5x improvement in performance.
Silver: silver lined cookware is a thing, but useless as silver is soft and silver-plating only gets the most thin of linings on, so it cant practically last. Solid silver cookware exists and look bretty cool, also transmits heat like copper without having a tin lining or tin's low melt point, but it is not non-stick like tin, and will run you about $3,000 for one Turkish-made 9" pan if i remember correctly.
>>
>>8714977

That's because aluminum is a superior conductor of heat to cast iron. Problem is it's carcinogenic. My solution I'm looking towards is cast iron, and for roasting to use a wire rack and just let air flow take care of the process.
>>
OP here
I'll get a 12 inch carbon steel pan and a larger stainless steel skillet with taller walls
Now, do i spend a lot or get generic shit at a restaurant supply store?
>>
File: bouley_pain_au_chocolat[1].jpg (38KB, 700x492px) Image search: [Google]
bouley_pain_au_chocolat[1].jpg
38KB, 700x492px
>>
File: cathy_mitchell.jpg (11KB, 200x190px)
cathy_mitchell.jpg
11KB, 200x190px
https://youtu.be/1oWHLaKPjps
>>
If you have any cheap thrift stores, check them out OP. There's a dig-and-save one near me with a whole bin that's always full of decent-ass steel skillets for chump change.

Also don't just buy into the cast iron meme outright. Granted, they're the only skillet I use but that's pretty much just out of habit. They're honestly a slight pain in the ass on an electric stove as they're slow to heat up and don't heat very evenly.

>>8713837
I use all of these, and they're just about all I ever use. My sauce pan is smaller though, about 5".

>>8714861
>can throw it in the oven for baking straight from the stove
This is a pretty clutch feature sometimes.

>>8715519
I'm always the type of dude who thinks it's stupid to throw a lot of money into something right at the outset. I'd buy cheap and then, if you can start to sense the limitations or flaws of what you're working with, buy something better. But that's just personal preference.
>>
>>8715519
>I'll get a 12 inch carbon steel pan and a larger stainless steel skillet with taller walls

Good, good.

Just get something that looks pretty solid that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and as long as you're not using them to hammer nails, they'll last for years and years.
>>
Are Stainless Steel + Titanium pans good (best)?
>>
>>8713837
This is good advice.
>>
>>8715761
Like dont become shit in short amounts (being damaged and etc)
>>
>>8715772
*short amounts of time
>>
>>8713987
I just ordered the biggest Atlantis for about 200$ (without tax) here: https://berondi.com/demeyere-frying-pan-proline-induction-sealed-edge-32-25632-40850-939.html

I'm still not sure if there is something wrong with the product or anything. The list price is about 300$ (even compared product number from official site) and I didn't find it that cheap anywhere else.
>>
>>8714009
>>8713895
guy who works in the all-clad factory here, ask me questions
>>
>>8713837
but what if I want to make multiple legumes at the same time and I always want to do that. I'm not really sure why you need a big stock pot. Maybe two medium sized universal stock pot / sauce pans would be a better option? They suffice plenty to make pasta or even spaghetti.

Also what is a 3-5qt saute pan? A normal stainless steel 10-12'' pan?
>>
>>8715872
It looks like this

The walls are straight so food doesn't fly out and you can make a pan sauce, and it's shallow for more surface area and obviously, sauteing
>>
>>8716060
the GOAT for all braised meats that don't take up enough space to warrant an enamled dutch oven
>>
>>8715903
1. AFAIK we didn't kill off LTD, I just made some today
2. Copper had a higher heat conductivity and holds more heat, or so I'm told. And yes, people really do fall for it. At last year's seconds sale (basically anything with a slight defect that can't be sold for regular price) some lady came in and attempted to buy EVERYTHING that had copper.She eventually became irate and caused a ruckus so she was thrown out, but only after spending about $20,000. I'm not joking about that figure either, people come to the sale and spend thousands of dollars (probably to resell it on ebay but whatever).

also bear in mind i'm pretty new so i'm not privy to all the details
>>
>>8714115
drop ur name fgt
>>
File: The Fuck.png (112KB, 253x249px) Image search: [Google]
The Fuck.png
112KB, 253x249px
>>8716083
>At last year's seconds sale (basically anything with a slight defect that can't be sold for regular price) some lady came in and attempted to buy EVERYTHING that had copper.She eventually became irate and caused a ruckus so she was thrown out, but only after spending about $20,000. I'm not joking about that figure either, people come to the sale and spend thousands of dollars (probably to resell it on ebay but whatever).
>>
File: il_fullxfull.754486386_2kjz-1.jpg (236KB, 1500x1135px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.754486386_2kjz-1.jpg
236KB, 1500x1135px
Don't bother with anything but silver
>>
>>8713837
I personally prefer this:
12'' cast iron skillet for high heat stuff without sauce (especially no acidic sauce)
12'' stainless steel skillet for high heat with acidic sauces (especially wine)
2x medium sized pots for legumes and pasta
small non stick for eggs and maybe fish

Whats wrong with this? I have no use for stock pot, saute pan nor sauce pan.
>>
File: 1477007519524.jpg (49KB, 600x708px) Image search: [Google]
1477007519524.jpg
49KB, 600x708px
>>8716154
>mfw I learn my meal was prepared on a mere peasant metal and not a stupid one I read about on the internet
>>
Are hard anodized aluminium pans a meme?
Can you really use a fork in it?
>>
File: H3.gif (2MB, 330x166px) Image search: [Google]
H3.gif
2MB, 330x166px
>>8716163
>not making your own stocks for sauces, braising, and general deliciousness
>>
>>8715369

I don't know what kind of stainless you're citing, I'm thinking store brand 3 ply with a disk sandwiched in the middle, already made that clear. And no frigging way is 2.5mm stainless lined copper as cheap as those pieces.

I also already noted that copper is expensive slash shit, the point is that tin lined copper is worth the expense, stainless not. Do you read?

For the aluminum:

Linking it to breast cancer
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16045991

Linking it to alzheimers
http://universityhealthnews.com/daily/memory/aluminum-linked-to-alzheimers-disease/
>>
>>8716163
>>what's wrong with this
Apparently you don't make stock, soup, or stews?

Also, I don't see the point of a small nonstick pan. Why not get a large one (12")? You can always cook a little food in a large pan but you cannot do the opposite. And a small pan won't even accommodate many common foods. A nice size fish fillet barely fits in a 12" pan; how do you plan on cooking that in a smaller one?
>>
>>8717801

find something that suggests cause, not "a link".

Do scabs cause cuts?
>>
>>8717801
please show your math

a stainless lined 2.5mm copper pan from falk ($275) is cheaper than a demeyere proline skillet of the same size ($299)

cheaper aluminum skillets either don't have the required thickness to approach the same performance, or they aren't lined (say, alegacy eagleware point two five)

you seem to be ignoring the cost of retinning on the tinned copper

the alzhemers stuff is irrelevant hysteria, since we are not discussing unlined cookware
>>
>>8717828
>a stainless lined 2.5mm copper pan from falk ($275) is cheaper than a demeyere proline skillet of the same size ($299)

I'm not the guy you're arguing with, but a Demeyre Proline is significantly thicker than 2.5 mm. It wouldn't surprise me if the core alone is 5mm thick. Or more. Then again, it's an aluminum core, not copper, so the thermal conductivity isn't as high for equivalent thickness.

Otherwise I agree 100%.

>>alegacy eagleware point two five
Goddamn I wish they made those in a nonstick version.
>>
>>8717881
>Then again, it's an aluminum core, not copper, so the thermal conductivity isn't as high for equivalent thickness.
Exactly. You can't compare 2.5mm copper to 2.5mm alu

Alu has to be much thicker

And yes I'd love if the point two five line came in lined. Stainless specifically. I've already bought my copper though. But truly high end aluminum is rarer than you might think
>>
>>8713837
>>8714861
>>8714891
>>8714946

What pots/pans are best for a poorfag who can't afford a lot of the expensive brands being linked in this thread? I'm just using some shitty stuff I picked up at goodwill for real cheap. I cook a variety of stuff so ideally I'd have things I can sautee veggies in, cook meats, and make stews.
>>
>>8713806
Yes
>>
>>8717961

Update International is aluminum-core stainless. It's very good value for the money and is widely available online.
>>
>>8714891

>tin is also non-stick naturally

It's just melting off continually ...
>>
>>8717814
Well 12" nonstick is fine too. Its about adjusting to your needs, which will vary so I probably should have included a variance for the pan size. I cook only for myself and relatively small portions (unless it's a big batch to freeze) so I have no problem with a small pan. Still a nonstick used well can be a great convenience/ time saver in the kitchen
>>
>>8715031
take your tinfoil hat off anon. just because you read it on hippiefoods.org or theconspiracy.com doesn't make it true

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3059176
>>
File: 71%2Btvg36HtL._SL1300_.jpg (223KB, 1300x855px) Image search: [Google]
71%2Btvg36HtL._SL1300_.jpg
223KB, 1300x855px
37cm x 10cm, five fucking kilograms and about 40yuros, ought to be delivered today.
how did i do? any /ck magic to seasoning it beyond the usual coat it and roast it for an hour couple of times?
>>
>>8720933

My carbon steel wok is pretty bad ass, but a cast iron wok might be a bit heavy to use the same way.
>>
>>8713825
The closest thing to an all-in-one is high quality enameled cast iron but you'll want at least 1 pot for boiling water in addition to it.
>>
>>8722289
It's called a stir fry. Don't toss the wook around. Stir.
>>
File: stir-frying-wok.jpg (30KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
stir-frying-wok.jpg
30KB, 960x540px
>>8722434

You're supposed to toss a stir fry, that's how you get the proper wok hei. The tiny particles of oil catch fire as you toss over the burner, that's where a lot of the flavor from a proper stir fry comes from.
>>
>>8719639
>1988

Nigger that study was relevant when the Walkman was relevant.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2782734/
>>
File: stir fry.jpg (36KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
stir fry.jpg
36KB, 852x480px
>>8722447 this
>>
>>8722447
>>8722450
Is it possible to do this on a regular gas stove? I just got a wok and I think I got the toss down but it never does that.
>>
>>8722461

Yes it is. The trick is to pull the pan back when you toss, so that the edge (rather than the center) of the pan/wok is over the flame.
>>
File: wokin.jpg (25KB, 636x358px)
wokin.jpg
25KB, 636x358px
>>8722461

If you really want to up your wok game, get a propane turkey cooker and do your cooking outside where you can crank up the heat without worrying about smoking out the house, or burning it down.

A wok is little more than a big round skillet without a good heat source, and most home stoves just can't put out the BTU's you want to achieve the right kind of flavors you bought the wok for in the first place.
>>
>>8717814
>Apparently you don't make stock, soup, or stews?
Stock is made in cast iron or stainless steel pan depending on acidity of liquid. Stew is made in big cast iron pot (I forgot to mention that one). Soup is made in medium sized pot.
>>
>>8722824

Those must be some tiny batches of stock.
>>
>>8722833
Oh I'm sorry I seem to have confused the meaning of what stock is. I thought it's when you make a sauce out of the burned remains of whatever you fried in the pan before. But you are talking more about something like a fond? Sorry I'm no native speaker and no professional cook, so I often really struggle with the kitchen glossary (even in my own language btw.).

So basically, no I'm not making any fonds and when I do soups I make them usually in the same pan as pasta. I don't need more than 1 liter of soup usually.
>>
>>8722863
>I thought it's when you make a sauce out of the burned remains of whatever you fried in the pan before

That's called a pan sauce. The "burnt remains of whatever" is called fond in English.

The French call stock Fond.

>>So basically, no I'm not making any fonds

Why not? That's one of the most basic things in cooking!
>>
File: Chicken stock.jpg (182KB, 1037x692px) Image search: [Google]
Chicken stock.jpg
182KB, 1037x692px
>>8722863
>confused the meaning of what stock is

Stocks are a game changer when you finally start making and using them.

Try this: buy a whole chicken, toss it in a stock pot and cover it with enough water to have a couple inches over the top of the chicken in the pot. Bring it to a boil, and immediately turn it down to a simmer and simmer till the chicken is done. Pull out the chicken and strip off all the meat, and toss the bones and everything else back in the pot. Simmer overnight on the lowest heat setting, and the next day scoop off all the fat scum, strain it, and store it in the fridge. Should get 2 quarts, easy.

Use it for anything that you'd use water for when preparing a sauce, soup, or deglazing a pan, or even making rice. You can even inject pieces of meat with stock before cooking, like roasts, for extra juicy meals.

Some add things to their stock while it's simmering, be it salt, veggies, or whatever, but I think a straight up beef/poultry stock is best because it allows you to season each dish individually. Just be careful if you buy store bought stock, as it's usually loaded with sodium, and even the low salt stocks they sell are pretty high.

I make my own, and save up all my bones in the freezer until I've got enough to make a couple quarts.
>>
>>8722952
>>8723008
Thanks I might give it a try. As far as I can tell the main reason for stock is getting umami and some salt in your water. I used to use store bought stock and after leaving that away I really had some problems with adding taste to soups and sauces. Currently I'm mostly adding umami with mushrooms (especially shitake), sea weed and fermented pastes that I either do myself or sometimes buy if I'm all out. If I'm still a little short on taste with those things I might add a little glutamate which isn't as bad as people think it is. But I try to stay as natural as possible. So making my own stock would probably really improve my cooking.
>>
>>8723045
>So making my own stock would probably really improve my cooking.

Immensely.
>>
>>8715868
How big is your penis?
>>
File: IMG_20170324_081230.jpg (3MB, 3036x2310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170324_081230.jpg
3MB, 3036x2310px
this is what the inside of the >>8720933 wok looks like. should i get scrubbing in the assumption that its the default seasoning gone wrong, or could it be faulty iron casting?
because other than a metal scrubber i aint got shit to work with, and if its the iron i would rather keep the default seasoning and build upon it.
>>
>>8714641
Except that's clearly an aluminum or steel pan... learn to identify your materials buddy.
>>
>>8723045
>As far as I can tell the main reason for stock is getting umami and some salt in your water

That's only half of it. The other part which is equally (and sometimes more) important, is the TEXTURE you get from meat-based stocks. The stock contains gelatin from the bones and connective tissue of the meat you put in. That gives a richer texture or "mouth feel" to your soups, stews, sauces, or whatever else you make with the stock. You won't get that from a bullion cube or from store-bought stock. Proper homemade stock will set into a firm gel if you put it in the fridge.

Making & using homemade stock is one of the easiest and most significant ways to improve your cooking.
>>
>>8724591
Don't know what to tell you, anon.

Just follow the directions it came with, as you can always re-season those things if needed.
>>
>>8724591

Seasoning looks fine to me. It should be hard, black in color, and not sticky or greasy to the touch.
>>
File: il_570xN.754486400_8x1c.jpg (25KB, 570x253px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.754486400_8x1c.jpg
25KB, 570x253px
>>8717828
Stainless lined copper is only for poorfags who can't afford silver; which requires no tinning or lining of any kind. AND has better heat transfer.
>>
>>8713806
cast iron

and when you decide it's not ideal for everything just avoid anything with a coating
>>
>>8726836
>just avoid anything with a coating

does that include the seasoning layer that coats a cast iron pan?
>>
>>8713806

Cast iron skillet is the most useful tool in the kitchen. As long as you maintain it properly, you can use it for curries, sauces, cakes, simple frying, baking, etc.
>>
>>8713806
I strongly recommend NOT going with non-stick. Also, make sure it's oven safe.
>>
File: dealwithit.jpg (832KB, 2200x1628px)
dealwithit.jpg
832KB, 2200x1628px
>>8725810
That's nice. Let's see your silver.
>>
>>8726915
>>8726876
>I use nails for everything, nobody needs glue
Thread posts: 131
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.