[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ground Beef & spoiling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_8977.jpg (285KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8977.jpg
285KB, 2048x2048px
I just bought this ground beef today from the grocery store. When I opened it up it smelt kind of funny. I cooked some burgers with the meat and it tasted off but I'm not sure if this was on the boderline to being inedible or if over the line. I can be very picky when it comes to "something going bad" and often throw away anything that smells weird.

but now i'm trying to save money and don't want to throw away all this ground beef. I bought a lot. Do you think its safe to eat. I froze most of it afraid that it would spoil in a day or two if it wasn't already there. I can't see why giant would sell this if it was so bad. I also was told by my sister sometimes store put food coloring on their meat to trick customers into buying older meat. There was a lot of red stuff I thought was blood in the packaging so i'm wondering if I got ripped off.

If not, what could I make with it to not waste it yet cover up the taste? I was thinking sloppy joe or taco meat, being that the seasoning would kill the flavor.
>>
>>8712132
Meat sometimes smells like shit coming out of a vacuum pack. Let it air off and it usually smells fine after a few minutes. More than likely you insisted to yourself it was off and that convinced your tastebuds to create a 'funny taste'

As to bright red meat, this is normal for ground meat, but not steaks. Ground meat needs to be fresh and red, not brown. Steaks need to be brown, not bright red.

As to the food colouring? Nope, they just inject meat with water. It's a process called water aging (as opposed to dry aging) that breaks down muscle (actually, it physically violates and breaks down cells) by multiple syringes hammering down on a slab of meat, tenderizing and pumping it full of water at the same time.

Easiest way to know if your meat is off is to just taste it. If it tastes sour, it's fucked. A little amount won't hurt you and if you ate a burger or whatever you'll just get an upset stomach.
>>
Trust your nose.

Get rid of shit that smells funky unless you have the time and energy to potentially deal with diarrhea for a couple days.
>>
>>8712192
>Trust your nose.

If people did that we wouldn't have fermented anything.
>>
>>8712223
Not true. Beer/wine/liquor doesn't give off an odor that repulses you like rotten meat.
>>
you're already dead
>>
File: 1435776386540.gif (2MB, 286x210px) Image search: [Google]
1435776386540.gif
2MB, 286x210px
>mfw americans cook their burgers gray
>>
>>8712281
He thinks we don't know he's American
>>
I have had the same problem. Rare but it happens. Just throw it away. Food poisoning isn't worth it. If you need a replacement dinner grab a frozen pizza for $3.50
>>
>>8712231
We're not talking about rotten meat, we're talking about meat that's potentially going off, there's a huge difference.

Besides, there's plenty of fermented food things that aren't wine, such as soy sauce, yogurt, natto, kimchi, sauerkraut, any pickle is undergoing anaerobic fermenting. There's fucktonnes more.
>>
File: garbage_cc.jpg (180KB, 1367x1692px) Image search: [Google]
garbage_cc.jpg
180KB, 1367x1692px
>>8712157
>steaks to be brown, not bright red

i would have guessed u.s.american but your usage of the word "colour" tells me your some kind of 3rd worlder who has never seen a proper steak
>>
>>8712505
If you're eating bright red steaks, you're eating shrink wrapped water injected wet aged meat.

You don't have to believe me, go ask a butcher.
>>
File: beef-grading-us-can.jpg (136KB, 679x413px) Image search: [Google]
beef-grading-us-can.jpg
136KB, 679x413px
>>8712545
your butcher is literally tricking you into buying old, oxidized meat
>>
>>8712557
>implying I've met one butcher in my entire career

I've been to suppliers, seen huge butcheries and racks of air drying striploins. I've punched lambs hanging in cool fridges whilst pretending to be Rocky.
I highly suspect I've seen more of the inside of butchery than you've ever seen in your lifetime. Dry aged anything is a deep burgundy colour, approaching brown.

Even your chart agrees with this, unless you're stating that Canadian bright red beef is your go to.
>>
File: Downs-syndrome-boy-300x200.jpg (84KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Downs-syndrome-boy-300x200.jpg
84KB, 300x200px
>>8712579
you're a fucking retard

dark cutters have nothing to do with aging, it happens during slaughter
they cut the exterior "brown" layer off of dry aged meat exposing a red interor and
you changed your tune from "steak should be brown" to "steak should be deep burgundy approaching brown"

>I highly suspect I've seen more of the inside of butchery than you've ever seen in your lifetime
fucking dropped, fedora ass faggot
>>
>>8712592
Touche, enjoy your supermarket bright red metallic meat. Open a colour palette and see what the fuck burgundy is. Christ, you're difficult, can't even hold a conversation without insults.

As to your tangent on dark cutters after calling me a retard, you managed to successfully shoot your foot. (And make up a definition)

>dark cutters have nothing to do with aging
>it happens during slaughter they cut the exterior "brown" layer off of dry aged meat
>dry aged meat

Regardless, this holds no bearing at all on the conversation, because the juxtaposition is between bright red and red in the chart. Even then, we have absolutely no clue what the chart refers to in regards to which method of aging, because it didn't state that and neither did you.

Can you attempt a formal rebuttal without spilling spaghetti everywhere?
>>
>>8712132
Should have returned the meat to the store and press charges for trying to kill you
>>
>>8712132

You could have taken it back to the store and they would have replaced it
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.