[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Liquor fermentation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
Sup /ck/, been awhile. Is there still a lot of homebrewmen active here? I'm trying to make some liquor, let's call it Vodka. The fermentation process is killing me. My friend did the brewing before, and has this yeast that he uses that claims to work around 80F and 90F. However, my basement is 65-70F, and the yeast has gone inactive, leaving us with slightly alcoholic, flavored water. What do? I used a Propane burner last night (with the barrel still sealed), got lots of activity out of the airlock, but it dissipated quickly when I turned off the heat. Is it time to distill what we've got and start over? Is it still possible to save? Or is it possible that the yeast simply died off? We're using a 55 gallon steel drum for fermenting.
>>
>has no idea how to make moonshine
>tries to make 55 gallons of it
>>
Yeast is a living creature, dum dum. You can't just flip a switch and change the temperature 20 degrees for a few hours and expect it to thrive.
>>
>>8691686
You're telling me bruh. Friend who's the one doing most of the work claims he's done this before on a small scale, and says it worked, but I'm befuddled.
>>
There's still sugar in there for the yeast to eat. I'd say stabilize the temperature and try the yeast again. 80-90 is pretty high, you should find a NGS distiller's yeast that will work at 60-70, and it'll yield less fusels closer to 60 as well.
>>
>>8691692
So far I've just been following orders, because homeboy insisted he knew what he was doing, but only later do I find out he didn't even know what temperature his yeast is supposed to work at. So now I'm the one with 25 gallons of terrible wine in their basement with nothing to show for it. What am I supposed to do to get this shit to ~85F? We tried a heated blanket, and that did not work, not even close.
>>
>>8691712
Me again.

Are you fermenting sugar water? If not what is your mash? What is your yeast made for? What kind of still are you going to be using and how many distillation runs do you plan on making?
>>
>>8691676
why would you brew it in a basement if it thrives at hot temps? you should have kept a warm room for it, or waited until it was hot summertime and put it outside, paint the drum black or something. yknow?
>>
>>8691734
Yes, sugar water. Yeast is distillers yeast. I just want a good way to heat the barrel.
>>
>>8691744

>>8691714
>>
File: 1357946704147.jpg (58KB, 670x686px) Image search: [Google]
1357946704147.jpg
58KB, 670x686px
>>8691801

>sugar water
>distillers yeast
>>
>>8691805
Stellar post, yellowtext warrior. What yeast should I be using then, O champion?
>>
>>8691801
Heating 55 gallons is going to be a huge pain in the ass. Just go get some lager yeast, or really anything that will work in the barrels resting temperature. A cold fermentation like that will take a while though.
>>
>>8691826
Thanks bruh. Should I bother distilling what I've got, or just dump it?
>>
>>8691832
I wouldn't distill it or dump it. There's still a lot of food there for the yeast, you just need a strain that will work in your temperature range. Your returns if you were to distill it would be so low that it would just be a waste of time.
>>
>>8691849
Maybe I'm not understanding you. So you mean that I should just get better yeast and it to the batch?
>>
>>8691865
Yes. You're making a grain neutral spirit out of sugar water and you should be doing a double distillation, so the only thing you should worry about is maximizing your returns.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.