[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tools of the Trade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: FC10-Chef-469x250.png (15KB, 469x250px) Image search: [Google]
FC10-Chef-469x250.png
15KB, 469x250px
So when it comes to tools of the trade, is less more or not? So far I know two chefs that keep tool boxes full of stuff; knives, garnishing stuff, sharks, pliers, etc. But at the same time everyone keeps telling me that if you're good enough you would be able to use a few tools in many different ways.

For now I have two chef knives, a bread knife, a fillet knife, two pairing knives, a peeler, tongs, shark, and a melon baller. I want to get shears and a boning knife but can't decide if it's worth it. So far I am fine but I keep getting shit for not having the "right" knife/tool for the job. Even if I feel I can manage perfectly fine with what I have.
>>
>>8679743
You can usually do the job with a handful of tools, but if you have the RIGHT tool for the job, why wouldn't you use it?

My filet knife went missing at my last restaurant and I haven't picked one up since. I've done an alright job at home without it, but I should really pick one up.
>>
I think it's good practice to start small and buy things as you find you need them. unitaskers are nonsense. Personally for cutting I either use a santoku or a paring knife but I also don't prepare meat.

I have tongs I inherited and I use them specifically for spaghetti. Everything else one could use tongs for I just use wooden chopsticks for (a pair I got from a chinese restaurant), I prefer the extra precision. I have a peeler but I rarely use it. I want to buy a sieve or a strainer and probably a grater. Otherwise I'm pretty good.

Oh yeah I got a food processor from my father for christmas two years ago. That really stepped up my cooking game.

but yeah tl;dr better to have less than more imo, you can always get more as you find you need it.
>>
(Op)
At home...I use what I have but at work it's a different story. For almost a year I have a had chef knife only. About six months ago my first Chef thought it would be a nice gift to get me a knife roll. Since then I have had two more chefs and they are apps led when they see me try and use my chef knife for certain things. Thus I use the other tools but in reality I feel like I could use my chef knife for almost anything. Also, do you think size matters for a chef knife? I'm 5'2 and have two 12in chef knives and my current chef is being really critical of it, but it's all I have ever worked with so I don't mind.
>>
>>8679792
>apps led
I meant apalled
>>
>>8679743
Its different for everyone based on experience, and the demands of the operation. For example, my kit,
> 8 inch chefs knife, weeb steel
>6 inch chefs knife, german and beat up, for tough jobs
>5 inch santoku, weeb veggie knife
> 4 inch demi knife, weeb steel, a slightly bigger, more useful paring knife
>flexible boning knife, for boning
>serrated utility knife, bread and more
>fish spatula
>micro-plane
>honing steel
>Various plating spoons
>Tiny strainer, for morning tea
>Peeler

Sounds like you have enough stuff to tackle most tasks. Two paring knives, AND a shark?
I carried a melon baller for a long time. You can probably ditch that one. Grab a Victorinox flexible boning knife, that's a good one. Tweezers are for cool kids, and wanna-be's, that being said I have a couple kinds. Get your own spoons bro. That's like the first step into putting together a seasoned kit. Kunz spoon life
>>
>>8679876
>Two paring knives, AND a shark?
Pairing knife from my first chef, pairing knife I picked up before the gift, a shark I got from a friend. But one of my pairing knives is like serated on have the blade so I most use it to open bags. The shark is for strawberries. Many fruit plates in my past so it has been used.
>>
what the fuck is a shark?
>>
>>8679743
>>8679908
You have a pair of paring knives.
>>8679792
Don't include the handle in the measurement, just the blade. Your height doesn't matter, the size of the food you're working with does. For example, skinning a large salmon might be more difficult with a blade that's not long enough.

I leave my toys at home, as I don't do a prep work or line cooking anymore.
chef knife
honesuki
paring knife
honing rod
waiter's corkscrew
calculator
sharpie
>>
Not OP but in a similar boat.

When I started I got the cheapest knife kit on the market which was roughly 80usd. Had a 10" chef, boning,filleting,peeler, steel and a pairing knife. I always get compliments on how sharp my knives are from chefs at the place I work and they had weeb Damascus steel 400 bucks knife.

Now I'm very comfortable with my 10" but I always feel it unnatural cutting vege with it. It seems I'm applying too much force but when I borrowed an equally cheap santoku, I feel like I could chop a lot easier instead of doing a full slide on my 10".

Would getting a santoku make my vege prep more comfortable? I don't want to go full retard and spend triple of what my knife kit is on a single knife but I want something decent with a nice cutting profile. Any suggestions? I tried a Chinese vege chopper. Way too much strain on wrists for not a lot of benefit.
>>
File: paring.png (23KB, 497x548px)
paring.png
23KB, 497x548px
>>8679743
>pairing knives
>>8679908
>Pairing knife
>>8680680
>pairing knife

STOOOOOOOPPP!!!!!!!!!
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.