[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got a job at a fine dining restaurant and I have very

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: sasdf.png (111KB, 1444x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sasdf.png
111KB, 1444x1000px
I just got a job at a fine dining restaurant and I have very spotty knowledge of wine. Any wine ProTips you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO: what is the difference between a sweet white and a rich white??? I thought those words were synonymous
>>
>>8676370
If you're working at a fine dining place there is either a full time somm or a wine program in place. You don't have to learn about wine in general, just get familiar with your program and the suggested pairings for each dish. When a table wants to split a bottle and the dishes everyone orders seem incompatible suggest a pinot noir.
>>
>>8676370
those wine folly images are the worst
terms like smooth, rich, or dry are useful within limits but they are highly subjective because your perception of flavors is influenced by counterbalancing elements like alcohol level and acidity
if you want to really sound informed you have to read up on the chemistry of wine and how vinification methods contribute to the final result
the trouble with trying to use an infographic for something like pairing is that it can only be accurate at an extremely broad level or an impossibility granular level
wine folly fails by picking a level of specificity where everything seems wrong because of the taxonomic inconsistency that arises as a necessary concession to jamming the desired quantity of text into the image. literally the texbook example of design over functionality
>>
>>8676378
Rad as hell. That gives a lot of peace of mind actually. Thanks based anon
>>
>>8676370

ugh, sorry to hear that man. fine dining that specializes in wine have some of the WORST patrons there are. want to talk about how good their farts smell all meal, no tip...

i'd run.
>>
>>8676370
I have had asparagus on many occasions in many restaurants with a dry white, I don't see the problem.
>>
>>8676757
Asparagus isn't as tough as artichokes, but it can be a challenge. One white that's known to pair well with asparagus is GrĂ¼ner Veltliner. But you're on your own when it comes to artichokes.
>>
>>8676779
>artichokes
Retsina.
>>
>>8676806
One could argue no food can ruin retsina because it's already ruined.
>>
Pro Tip: Wine """""rules""""" are all bullshit and are safe to completely ignore.
>>
>>8677013
yeah guys, listen to this Pro! He definitely knows what he is talking about.
>>
>>8677013
You're correct in saying there are no rules, but there are alot pairings that became classics because they worked so well together. Beyond that the general idea is that the wine and the food should at least compliment each other. The only trick is to avoid having the food overwhelm the wine or the wine overwhelm the food. A delicate white can be overwhelmed by a hearty food like stews and grilled meat, and light food like white fish can get lost when paired with a heavy red.

This is part of why Pinot Noir has become so popular in restaurants. It's kind of in the middle of the spectrum, so while it might not be a perfect pairing for some foods it works with a wide variety. If a couple wants to share a bottle but she ordered fish and he's getting a steak a Pinot is a compromise that will work for both of them.
>>
>>8676370
Just learn the basics and bullshit your way through at the start until you get proper training.
>>
>>8677013
>>8677210
He's right. I run the wine cellar in one of the most expensive hotels in Vegas. All the somms say people like what they like, and pairings won't change that. And that $20,000 bottle from DRC is going to taste good whether you ordered steak or scallops.
>>
>>8677329
That doesn't change the fact that a number of classic pairings are classic for a reason. That Muscadet is gonna go great with those oysters on the half shell while an Amarone will pair much less well, even if the Amarone is a much better bottle of wine.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.