[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does culinary school actually help you accomplish?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: prgm-culinary-arts-program.jpg (169KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
prgm-culinary-arts-program.jpg
169KB, 800x400px
What does culinary school actually help you accomplish?
>>
>>8672480
It helps you accomplish getting a job at somewhere other than Wendy's.
>>
>>8672480

Networking and rudimentary skills for non-social aspies without kitchen experience.

Experience once was a prerequisite, now anyone can matriculate at my Alma Mater, makes me mad in a way.
>>
>>8672529

This.
>>
>>8672485
I've worked at restaurants since I was 16. Now I can go to college and maintain an okay job at a fine dining establishment with my resume. And it only took me 6 years of begging for more shifts and responsibilities at the other restuarants. The restaurant business is worth it guys!
>>
How come the worst cooks I've worked with were culinary arts trained and chefs?
Is it because being a high volume cook and being a chef are two different things?
>>
File: food-nirvana.jpg (156KB, 736x921px) Image search: [Google]
food-nirvana.jpg
156KB, 736x921px
>>8673467
same problem as every other higher education program: they train you like you're going to skip the bottom rung when you graduate. Then when you don't, you realize quickly that the things you learned in school will be pretty useful in around half a decade, but right now you need to focus on cleaning these fish faster because you've actually only done it twice.
>>
>>8672480
They put you in a shitload of debt to your jew overlords. Be a good goy, pay that debt off with maximum interest and penalties.
>>
>>8672480
What I learned in culinary school is...
>>
>>8673467
I've had the same problem anywhere I worked. They always get pissed off after a couple of weeks because the rest of us who have been working for years are all way better and in higher positions, and because they're completely unprepared to work in a real business environment where everything isn't ideal but you still have to be perfect for anywhere between ten to sixteen hours and so they inevitably walk out during a rush
>>
Actual answer here.

Culinary school gives you knowledge. You experience a wide variety of things that you wouldn't if you where just working at a restaurant. From classic French cuisine to bread baking to chocolate works, you cover the basics of everything.

However working at a restaurant gives you more experience which is the prime factor in your ability to cook. Cooking a steak in a class a couple times will not let you cook it better than if you work in a restaurant and cook 10 steaks a day.

Some culinary institutions will also be a restaurant so you will be learning and working in an actual kitchen. These will often cost less to enroll in because you are basically paying half your intuition with labor.

You will also get some basic networking if you go through culinary school. The chef instructors have connections and they could hook you up with a better job than starting as a dishwasher for a year.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.