[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lodge Carbon Steel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: carbon steel 12 inch.jpg (89KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
carbon steel 12 inch.jpg
89KB, 1000x1000px
/ck/

I'm considering buying one of the carbon steel skillets sold by lodge as a replacement for a cast iron pan that cracked when it fell off a counter. They seem very similar but with a few pros compared to cast iron, and cost is about the same.

What do you think? worth it? Or is there something better.

I already have a good non-stick.

Redpill me
>>
>>8660768
I have a 10" debuyer carbon steel crepe pan that I use for eggs. Once seasoned, I just spray a little oil on and the eggs slide around on it the whole time it's cooking
>>
I also have a 10 inch de buyer. I prefer it to my cast iron but there's not much in it really.

I've dropped it a few times and its absolutely fine though, i don't think its nearly as brittle.
>>
>>8660768
I prefer cast iron's heat retention but carbon steel is not a bad choice. It's certainly lighter and more durable, but for a good sear and superior nonstick give me cast iron.

CS is great for everything else though.
>>
>>8660768
get a de buyer
>>
>>8660791
>spray

What kind of cuck uses spray oil? You should be using decent olive oil, or butter. Neither of which should be sprayed.

Good quality spray oils are retarded priced compared to the non-spray alternatives, and cheap spray oils are GARBAGE quality and taste like shit.
>>
>>8660768
thats stamped steel and not cast, or something like that. its different from a cast iron skillet, but yea much lighter and still well performing
>>
File: 51JbKIZJtoL.jpg (35KB, 362x500px) Image search: [Google]
51JbKIZJtoL.jpg
35KB, 362x500px
>>8662187
Have you never seen one of these before?

I've been thinking of getting one so I don't have to wash a brush every time I need to brush oil on raw meat, they're in any kitchen store that isn't complete dogshit

Why would you assume "spray a little oil" automatically means he's using pam cooking spray?
>>
>>8662187
>cooking eggs with extra virgin olive oil
this sounds like something a housewife would do in the 1990s
>>
>>8662319

nobodies fucking seen one of those before. if you say spray you mean pam.
>>
>>8662354
>if you say spray you mean pam
>using the word cuck
I'm just going to assume you live in some flyover place, because they've been common for some years now

You probably have never seen a microplane either
>>
File: Carbon steel.jpg (201KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Carbon steel.jpg
201KB, 2000x2000px
I use carbon steel pans often but i didn't like my lodge pan when it came through.

They're thin compared to other brands and mine warped after a few uses. The seasoning was chipped in a few places and they were rusty before i got it.

I e-mailed lodge who in fairness sent a new pan out but this one was again chipped and rusting, and after cleaning and seasoning was only "okay" in use. The thin metal doesn't really spread the heat well. The finish is also rough like a cast iron pan, not smooth like most other carbon steels.

I have pans by de buyer that are excellent, but also by mauviel and volrath. Out of the the de buyer feels the best quality, but i use the volrath most often.

I'f you do get a de buyer go for the carbone line, the mineral b's are more expensive, with plastic on the handle and a beeswax coating.

28cm (10 inch roughly) is ideal for cooking for 2. Probably best with the 24 when cooking for one.
>>
>>8662342
>cooking eggs with any kind of oil
>>
I got this one from Ikea, and it's absolutely rock solid.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/frying-pans-woks/sensuell-frying-pan-stainless-steel-grey-art-60324544/

Stainless steel, so probably the safest material to use too.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.