[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so what makes one fish sushi grade and another not? i realize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: fish_PNG10538.png (1MB, 1816x816px) Image search: [Google]
fish_PNG10538.png
1MB, 1816x816px
so what makes one fish sushi grade and another not? i realize this question has an easy answer but my real question is

if a friend went fishing, how can i tell the quality of fish he catches, and would any of these potentially be sushi grade? usually it would probably be stocked trout? im really not sure but how can you tell if any fish (especially one you caught) is high enough quality to eat raw.
>>
>>8660409

also especially if it is easy to distinguish, how to make your own sushi well
>>
>>8660409
Freshwater fish is a no-no
Other than that, Google it you disgusting pleb.
>>
>>8660409

If you caught the fish yourself then you know damn well how fresh it is.

Also, note that freshwater fish is rarely eaten raw, even in Japan. The general rule is that freshwater is cooked while saltwater is often served raw.
>>
>>8660420

thank you, so say they/i caught some saltwater fish its pretty much just a manner of freshness?

>>8660418

are there not certain fish and locations to be avoided or idk i literally know nothing, are certain stages in the fishes maturity meant for eating raw and others cooked?

looks like freshwater = parasites
>>
>>8660424
>its pretty much just a manner of freshness?

Sort of. It needs to be fresh enough that you know it's not rotten or otherwise "gone off". But even then straight-out-of-the-water fish is rarely served for sushi. It's typically aged for a while to let the flavor develop. Some species are frozen (deliberately). Go watch a few documentaries on Youtube about sushi or the Tsukiji fish market in Toyko; this is a far more complicated topic than can be addressed in a 4chan post.

Straight-out-of-the-saltwater would certainly be safe to eat raw, but it wouldn't have the optimum taste or texture.
>>
>>8660438

perfect answer tyvm. the short answer to my question seems to be freshwater wish is bad because of parasites and saltwater fish is flash frozen when caught preventing decay of the meat and killing and parasites, i found a few examples of people eating fish caught in lakes raw but they seem dumb.
>>
>>8660443

The freezing of saltwater fish is done for two different reasons.

One reason is simple preservation. When you have a big fishing boat that might be hundreds of miles offshore it can't return and unload its catch every single day, so the fish are frozen on board the ship to preserve them until the boat can return to port, which might be several days if not multiple weeks at sea.

Beyond that, some fish are frozen specifically to "age" the meat to give it the optimum taste and texture for sushi. Even if the fish was caught by a small boat close to port and it wasn't necessary to freeze it for preservation it might still be frozen at specific temperatures/times to make the best possible sushi. It's kinda similar to how beef is "hung" if not full-on dry aged before it is consumed, or how gamebirds are hung before eating. The aging process improves the flavor.
>>
>>8660409
sushi isn't the fish, it's the rice
>>
>>8660409
Google gives a lot of misinformation on "sushi grade fish," mostly from picky fucks who wouldn't even eat sushi because "ewww raw."
>>
>>8660409
I think the general rule of thumb is that when you are preparing sushi, you freeze the fish you are using for 7 days minimum. This should be long enough to kill dormant parasite larvae.
>>
>>8660574

this goes for freshwater as well you think?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.