[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Founder of Waffle House Dies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

File: download.png (606KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
606KB, 750x500px
http://www.eater.com/2017/3/6/14832948/joe-rogers-senior-waffle-house-dies
>Joe Rogers Sr., the restaurateur who founded 24-hour diner chain Waffle House with his partner Tom Forkner, died on Friday. He was 97. As a young man, Rogers worked as a short-order cook and manager at the now-defunct Toddle House chain. He opened the first Waffle House with his neighbor Forkner in Avondale Estates, Georgia, in 1955. Forkner once explained how he and Rogers started the chain: “He said, ’You build a restaurant and I’ll show you how to run it.’”

>Rogers and Forkner decided to call it Waffle House because waffles were the most profitable items on the menu.

>The duo expanded slowly, opening just a few more locations during the restaurant’s first decade in business. But growth accelerated in the ’70s and ’80s and now the chain has more than 1,900 outposts, most of which are located in the South. Even though he was the co-founder, Rogers liked to hop behind the counter from time to time.

>With an all-day menu of inexpensive American comfort food, prepared to order, Waffle House developed a loyal fan base over the years — several high-minded chefs and food writers continue to sing its praises. John T. Edge once summed up the chain’s appeal: “Waffle House is a company that manages to be a national presence that still generates local pride, and that’s tough to do. Boysenberry syrup from IHOP is not in our vernacular.” Late at night, Waffle House is often a hotbed for bizarre criminal activity.

>Waffle House is a privately held company, and Rogers’s son, Joe Rogers Jr., is now the chairman. Rogers is survived by Forkner, who is currently 99. In a statement, Joe Jr. notes: “My father genuinely loved every customer who walked into a Waffle House, and customers immediately understood that... The customer always came first for him, and he made sure the customer came first for everyone who worked with him.”
Pay your respects /ck/
>>
>>8655746
That's a bummer. I enjoy waffle house a few times a year. Comfy food, and depending on location, decent patrons. RIP
>>
F
>>
F
>>
F
>>
>>8655746
F

many memorable (and even more unrememberable) nights have ended at a waffle house
>>
F

God bless those hashbrowns.
>>
>>8655746
>Late at night, Waffle House is often a hotbed for bizarre criminal activity.
wut
>>
File: hank.jpg (34KB, 500x571px) Image search: [Google]
hank.jpg
34KB, 500x571px
F
>>
>>8656016

Meth deals and lot lizard handjobs.
>>
Never been to a Waffle House. How do they compare to the normal Village Inn/Denny's fair?
>>
>>8656016

Have you ever been to a Waffle House in the economically-disadvantaged part of town during the evening hours? It's an experience
>>
>>8656076

Waffle House is superior in terms of price, but depending on how busy they are, the cleanliness of the joint may be in question
>>
>>8656076
it varies greatly by location, but it can be better than cracker barrel for less money than denny's if you find a good one
>>
>>8655746

Good riddance. Waffle house blows. I'd sooner lick the men's room floor than eat that crap.
>>
F
>>
File: pecan-waffle-hash-browns.jpg (44KB, 550x364px) Image search: [Google]
pecan-waffle-hash-browns.jpg
44KB, 550x364px
F
>>
F

Sticky when?
>>
>>8655746
As a Canadian, I love waffle house. I stop at them everytime I drive south. I like my hashbrowns smothered, covered and peppered. The black guys made the best sunny side up eggs ever the last time i went there. Fuck yeah. I tipped him a couple of bucks they were so good. Do you tip with take away at waffle house?
>>
Damn, that sucks to hear. I grew up in the south so I am pretty familiar with the All Star Special. Hashbrowns smothered and capped every time.

Friendly reminder that the Waffle House Index is a real thing in terms of guaging the need for disastee relief.
>>
A day before pancake day? Conspiracy
>>
>>8656412

You never tip with take-away or counter service. Tipping is for table service only.
>>
Waffle House is a national treasure. No joke there is one every 2 miles along the Mississippi gulf coast
>>
F
>>
File: 1487353785988.gif (2MB, 390x219px) Image search: [Google]
1487353785988.gif
2MB, 390x219px
>>8656121
There are Waffle Houses in good neighborhoods?
>>
>>8655746
Did he get shot?
>>
>>8655746
fuck me thats sad
F
What's everyone's classic go to?

"I'll have an order of waffles and two eggs fried."

I love waffle house
>>
F

I'll go there tonight for late night hash browns and waffles.
>>
>>8656412
>>8656460
You can tip whenever you want if it's hospitality-related. Bartenders, bellhops, busboys, servers, receptionists, valets, hostesses, cooks, doormen - it doesn't matter. If you want to slip someone some extra money to show you appreciate their service, it never hurts to do so.
>>
>>8656449

Remember that the ferrero rocher guy died on Valentine's Day. No death is sweeter than to be remembered on a corporate holiday that your company has made mad bux on
>>
F

Can't beat finding a dime sack on the floor. Thanks for the herb, Joe.
>>
>>8656121
You think they're bad, you should see Cook Out. Once it gets dark, all the darkies come out and get into gang wars in their parking lots. It's nigger central.

At least Waffle House along the highways is where truckers hang out.
>>
>>8656280
But you say that about everything. One might think you had some sort of coprophagy fetish, anon-kun. . . .
>>
>>8656412
>I like my hashbrowns smothered, covered and peppered.
Coincidentally, that's how they served Mr. Rogers after cremation.
>>
F

went to georgia tech, enjoyed waffle house on many an occasion. great place for late night/early morning food, always served with a touch of attitude
>>
>>8657503
Pecan waffles with bacon for me. I'd get the hash browns too but they're just too much carbs at one sitting on top of the pecan waffles, and pecan waffles are IMPORTANT.
>>
>>8656442
cool, never heard of that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index
>>
>>8655746
F

I ate there from time to time during my travels down South and I will forever remember those late nights when it was the only place open where a weary tired driver could get a bite and cup of coffee.
>>
File: 1466146961206.jpg (32KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1466146961206.jpg
32KB, 640x360px
>>8655746
>Toddle House
>>
File: 87o5pac.jpg (91KB, 545x717px) Image search: [Google]
87o5pac.jpg
91KB, 545x717px
>>8656512

Yes, there are waffle houses in good neighborhoods now. They started building in better neighborhoods in the late 90s but continued their off ramp rampage as well. There is one about a 2 minute drive from my house and I live in an extremely good area of town.

>>8658757
GaTech represent. Me too brochacho. Pulling all nighters for thermo dynamics, emag, digital signal processing, applied combinatorics, compilers and translation...

waffle house at 3AM over by howell mill was the one thing that made it all bearable. That and some of the other establishments that were off of cheshire bridge - thank you bamboo luau...

back in college i would rock the triple order of hashbrowns, double covered. when i graduated and had some money, i would add an egg and cheese biscuit.

now that i am older and need to eat healthier i get a grilled chicken salad with the chicken chopped but on the side and a large bowl of grits. throw the chicken in the grits and this is some of the best food in america for the price.

RIP Joe
>>
Will he smothered, covered, diced, and peppered in his grave?
>>
F

let's get this stickied anons
>>
F
>>
What's your favorite thing to get at Waffle House /ck? I almost always get a triple order of hashbrowns and then load it up with black pepper and hot sauce and just a little bit of mustard. Super filling for around $5-$7 (it depends on how they write the order up it seems, always different.)
>>
F
Damn shame, used to eat at a waffle house pretty often a few years ago. Food and service was always great.
>>
File: 1426038266046.jpg (170KB, 940x705px) Image search: [Google]
1426038266046.jpg
170KB, 940x705px
had wafflehouse for the first time a couple weeks ago.

they didn't have blueberry or strawberry waffles so i had to settle for chocolate.
not enough mushrooms or tomatoes in my hashbrowns
coffee was alright
7/10
rip.
>>
>>8661115
Getting waffles is rookie shit. Order a patty melt with onions, hash browns smothered, and a coke. Side of raisin toast. Cover the 'browns in ketchup and dip the patty melt in it
>>
>>8656157
>better than cracker barre

Let's not get carried away
>>
F for Fat American that died
>>
>>8661251
>lives to 97
>clearly not fat in the pic
nice try euroscum
>>
>>8661466
They're both fat
>>
F
>>
Sad day. I was on Fort Benning for training a lil over 2 years ago and me and my bros would go there some nights when we had time off in airborne and never get back on base til like 11 pm. Definitely gunna get some waffles when I can for this guy.
>>
>>8655746
>Rogers and Forkner decided to call it Waffle House because waffles were the most profitable items on the menu.
Jew-tier
>>
>>8655746
F
>>
F
>>
This is fucking all of your faults

You've been posting waffle house shit for weeks straight now.
When that much attention is drawn to a single object the universe notices.
It says, "Hey, this brings you joy? Fuck you, here's death".

And that's how good things come to and end.
You all should feel fucking ashamed of yourselves.
>>
First the owner of Little Caesar's, now Waffle House? Bad things come in threes... which chain is next?
>>
>>8663428

Whatever it is, it will be lunch related.

Pizza is basically a dinner food, don't kid yourselves.
We just had the owner of a breakfast food die, guess what's next?

It's going to be a lunch establishment. Whatever the fuck that is. Maybe business related like Sizzlers or Outback, where those suits go for their business lunches.

Could even be subway.

I bet Jarred is next.
Getting shanked in prison or some shit.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.