[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cold Brewing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

File: 3975b0c8cacf0817edfe7b6f4cfe93a1.jpg (838KB, 1687x1782px) Image search: [Google]
3975b0c8cacf0817edfe7b6f4cfe93a1.jpg
838KB, 1687x1782px
How do I into cold brewing my coffee?

I have been roasting and grinding my own beans for a while now but I always use a hot drip machine.

If I want to cold brew, what do I do? What roasts are best? What grinds are best? I'm sure it's all a matter of taste but what is definitely wrong? Do I need to buy anything right off the bat? I have coffee filters and a strainer and cold water and beans... what now?
>>
The way i usually go about is, that i use double the coffeei'd normally use for hot drip, pretty finely ground to get a big surface, put in a bowl with the cold water, cover it with clingfilm and put it in the fridge overnight.
Turns out nicely every time.
>>
If you want cold coffee as opposed to cold brewed coffee, then:

- hot drop
- chill on ice and/or refrigerate until cold
- drink and/or dilute if necessary

cold brew is a waste of beans!
>>
>>8653020
pourover directly onto icecubes, it tastes crisper than just leaving it in the fridge and you got your coffee right away, obviously youll need a stronger brew than usual since it gets diluted
>>
>>8653052
Cold brew is a waste of beans, yes. But beans are cheap.
The result is far less acidic, quite smooth.
I prefer cold brew diluted with hot water for drinking over the reverse.

Cold brew is just a less efficient extraction method. One that may or may not be superior depending on your goals.
>>
File: dublin-iced-coffee.jpg (39KB, 625x667px) Image search: [Google]
dublin-iced-coffee.jpg
39KB, 625x667px
So what is the correct ration of ground beans to water?

I see a lot of different pieces of information on the web and everyone seems to talk volume. Cleary if there isn't anyone out there that can talk weights only this is a bullshit hipster meme and nothing more.

I am starting a trial right now and have used 100 grams of beans to 800 grams of water. A few sources online said 1:8 coffee:water was a good start since many recipes call for a pound of beans to a gallon of water (8.3lbs or water).

I'll check back in tomorrow.
>>
What do you mean by "into"?
>>
>>8653052
poorfag detected
>>
>>8653984
Just an old meme
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/polandball
>>
>>8653020
better iced coffee comes from using a bialetti to make a 3 cup of espresso, sweetening to taste and then pouring over ice/ice water depending on how strong you like it.
>>
>>8653898
I generally make mine a bit more concentrated; my go-to is 12oz of beans to half a gallon, or about 1:5.5. Afterwards, if you so desire, diluting with a 1:1 ratio of cold brew to water cuts the intensity, although I prefer to drink about 6oz straight with ice.

Does anybody have a more efficient method of filtration? I use an almond milk bag and squeeze the bejeezus out of it after extraction, but I get more loss of liquid than I'd like. Dumping the grounds in straight and filtering through a chemex generally yields even less.
>>
File: WP_20170306_17_10_01_Pro.jpg (610KB, 1728x1731px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170306_17_10_01_Pro.jpg
610KB, 1728x1731px
>>8655713

I've read about two step process, fine mesh, then cheese cloth.

I'll be attempting to use a fine mesh, then a coffee filter later today, around 9 or 10am. 18 hours with a medium fine grind. I'm expecting it to be a little over extracted, but we'll see.
>>
File: WP_20170307_12_33_54_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170307_12_33_54_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3072x1728px
I passed it through a fine mesh, then through a coffee filter. The coffee filter was a pain. Very slow... Clogged, I went at it with a whisk a bit, about 4 times. Took about an hour.

Finished product is strong, and very chocolatey. I used sbux pikes peak medium roast since I was out of green beans and roasting enough beans for this would require 2 roasting batches. Next time I'll use cheaper beans.

I also would use a medium grind or coarse instead of medium fine.
>>
File: wp_ss_20170307_0004.png (1017KB, 625x937px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20170307_0004.png
1017KB, 625x937px
>>8656809

The color is gorgeous. It might be just a hair over extracted. I am diluting it with a 1:1 of whole milk and a tablespoon of sugar.
>>
File: wp_ss_20170307_0006.png (1MB, 625x937px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20170307_0006.png
1MB, 625x937px
>>8656809
>>8656820

This is as good as any iced coffee drink I have ever been served at any bar/restaurant. I am sad that I ran out of cream the other day. The whole milk is organic and very creamy though.

So, cold brew... More than a hipster meme? Perhaps. Worth the trouble? Once in a while I think.

Since the concentrate keeps in the fridge for a week or two its a decision on whether I want to spend 2 hours making coffee concentrate every week or so, or do I want to spend 15 minutes every morning making fresh hot... Or having a timed drip machine do the work while I am waking up.

This cold brew might be nice in the summer.. I can see myself switching back to hot coffee when it gets cold out again.

I usually melt cocoa powder in my coffee anyway, so the rich chocolate flavor that comes through is a nice treat.

8:1 ratio by weight seems about right for a concentrate. Maybe 1:9 would be ok. Coarser grind is better imo.
>>
File: WP_20170307_19_09_41_Pro.jpg (382KB, 1564x1567px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170307_19_09_41_Pro.jpg
382KB, 1564x1567px
Coincidentally, I have decided that this cold brew concentrate would be the PERFECT way to flavor a coffee ice cream.
>>
I ended up purchasing this takeya brewer since I'm also just testing my experience with Cold Brew.

Man it's a bit of work, but it does come out really tasty compared to hot drip and pour over ice. Particularly if you use a light or medium roast like Ethiopian Yegcheffe or Limu.

Also 2nd'ing what >>8656809
said, that mesh, even with the coarsest grind I could get my hands on, still resulted in a lot of "silt" in the coffee and running it through a filter takes for fucking ever. Still, I get a yield of about 3-4 generous servings of cold brew over ice with a little stevia and milk and it comes out tasty as hell. 10tblspoons of coarse ground coffee, fill the carafe with cold filtered water and let it steep overnight and i'm good to go.
>>
>>8658267
fuck forgot the link.

https://www.amazon.com/Takeya-Coffee-Maker-1-Quart-Black/dp/B00FFLY64U/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1488936956&sr=1-4&keywords=cold+brew+coffee+maker
>>
>>8658200
much better to make coffee ice cubes. doesn't water down the delicious coffee.
>>
>>8658356

Agreed. I ran out of them 3 days ago. Next time I have left over coffee it will happen.

Question... Cream and sugar in the ice cubes? I do. Just wondering what others think of that.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.