[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinion on when people say "expresso"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_6159.jpg (15KB, 275x222px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6159.jpg
15KB, 275x222px
Opinion on when people say "expresso"
>>
>>8634463
Saying it the way italians say it? Yeah I'm against it.
>>
File: stop.png (1MB, 1320x1392px) Image search: [Google]
stop.png
1MB, 1320x1392px
They should be lined up and shot next to people that say "melk" instead of milk, "rutbeer" for root beer, and "eggzit" for exit.
>>
>>8634463
Ignore it or my autism flares up
>>
get upset then realize it's not a big deal and not fair to judge someone's entire character based on the pronunciation of one word
>>
>>8634625
What shithole do you live in that people can't pronounce 'root beer' properly?
>>
>>8634697
I live in Oregon(where it isn't a problem) all my friends in Washington say rutbeer.
>>
File: expresso (1).jpg (328KB, 513x768px) Image search: [Google]
expresso (1).jpg
328KB, 513x768px
>>8634463
>"expresso"
expresso is the proper definition of the technique used to brew coffee, in a very fast way. That's why the espresso machine was constructed for,
to brew coffee fast, in express way.

I always thought that the term was espresso (as in ES), but it turns out I’m wrong.
The correct terminology for ordering my intense caffeine fix is not Espresso, but rather EXpresso (like expressway).

"expresso" is the French form, "espresso" is the Italian one.

"espresso" is from the Italian verb esprimere, which is a corruption of the Latin verb "exprimere".
So, if anything, "expresso" is more correct because that's more close to the word's Latin origin.
>>
>>8634923
Espresso means quick in italian.
>>
An espresso machine brews coffee by forcing pressurized water near boiling point through a "puck" of ground coffee and a filter in order to produce a thick, concentrated coffee called espresso.
The first machine for making espresso was built and patented in 1884 by Angelo Moriondo of Turin, Italy.
An improved design was patented on April 28, 1903, by Luigi Bezzera. Patent no: US726793 A, which was bought by the founder of the "La Pavoni" company which from 1905 produced
espresso machines commercially on a small scale in Milan.

Multiple machine designs have been created to produce espresso.
Several machines share some common elements, such as a grouphead and a portafilter.
An espresso machine may also have a steam wand which is used to steam and froth liquids, to include milk, for coffee drinks such as cappuccino and caffe latte.
Espresso machines may be steam-driven, piston-driven, pump-driven, or air-pump-driven. Machines may be manual or automatic.

Moka pots, also known as stove top espresso makers, are similar to espresso machines in that they brew under pressure and the resulting brew shares some similarities,
but in other respects differ.
As such, their characterization as "espresso" machines is at times contentious, but due to their use of pressure and steam for brewing,
comparable to all espresso prior to the 1948 Gaggia, they are accepted within broader uses of the term, but distinguished from standard modern espresso machines.
>>
File: First espresso machine.png (807KB, 2204x958px) Image search: [Google]
First espresso machine.png
807KB, 2204x958px
Coffee History: Luigi Bezzera, Inventor of the Espresso Machine
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/04/coffee-history-luigi-bezzera-inventor-of-the-espresso-machine.html
>>
>>8634463
A brief sigh followed by getting on with my life.
>>
>>8634923
It's spelled "espresso" you pedantic twat.
>>
>>8634736
i think your friends are probably retarded because anyone on the west coast who can read would be able to pronounce rootbeer correctly
>>
>>8635123
relax. not everywhere
>>8634923
>"expresso" is the French form, "espresso" is the Italian one.
>>
>samwedge
>>
>>8635135
You'd think.

Realized now that this group of people insist on putting ketchup on their overcooked eggs so... Yeah retards.
>>
>>8634463
Expresto.
>>
File: Espresso Instant Coffee.jpg (112KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Espresso Instant Coffee.jpg
112KB, 1500x1500px
>>8635735
instant eXpresso
>>
>>8634463
that's how loanwords work, we borrowed the word from Italian into English and now the pronunciation is shifting to something that feels more natural to native English speakers
>>
>>8634923
French term is cafe court. Morons say expresso and pedantic morons try to justify it.
>>
>>8635959
Espresso is not a loan word.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3y0CD2CoCs
>>
>>8636001
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=espresso

source?
>>
>>8635973
you are so stupid it hurts. you were programmed to think that way.
it's the same shit like saying tomatos or tomatoes or color and colour
same shit with expresso or espresso, the origin of that word is naming machine that will make coffee in a fast way,in a express way.
And both spellings are describing exactly the same thing, coffee made in a fast way.
One way is italian pronunciation the other is french and anglo.
Get a brain check done you sheep following what you are told without doing some thinking and researching the whole topic.

expresso or espresso are both proper ways to say it, people stop being stupid and brain washed idiots
>>
>go to chain coffee shop
>as mexican worker for a double espresso
>"you want expresso?"
>sign and say yes
I hate it when people who are wrong try to correct you
>>
>>8636108
>be gook
>order genmai-cha at a coffee shop in murrca
>oh, you mean genmai-cha tea?
>I want genmai-cha
>one genmai-cha tea!
>>
>>8634463
I don't care about trivial shit too much

it's not like they're killing people by mispronouncing words
>>
>>8634463
I say eXpresso, but do so knowing that what I am asking for is different than what a filthy casual Starbucks WiFi user is asking for. When I throw down the X, I'm not asking for that pussy shit most Americans want to dump cream over. Naw, I want an entire hillside of coffee beans sacrificed to create a frisbee of pure potential energy that will be unlocked with water so hot shit be 1 degree less than lava. When I say eXpresso, I want shit that will blow me away to a fantasy world where I got to fight a fucking dragon before my morning reports are due to the CFO. When I drop the fucking X, that shit better feel like I'm being sucked off by an angry fire ant hill in Texas and that shit is somehow the best blowjob in my life. When I say eXpresso, I'm not asking for espresso, I'm asking for something that will change my life.

But until that shot of coffee bean goodness comes to me, I will just have to deal with the funny looks at my local coffee house when I ask for 4 shots of espresso so I can make one ounce of what I mean when I say eXpresso. Now excuse me, I think my heart is going to explode.
>>
>>8636294
I do the same when I'm making instant eXpresso, >>8635774
I put 4 table spoons of instant coffee in my cup and brutally flood that with insanely boiling water
>>
If they're an educated American, I'd assume they're a pandering politician (the way G. W. Bush said "nucular"), or a pretentious prick who chooses that variation for special snowflake effect and to troll morons who think there's only one spelling/pronunciation for espresso in American English, so they can explain the French origin and point out that expresso is in Webster's.

If they seem less educated, I'd assume they say it that way because they grew up primarily around people who didn't know there was a different way, and don't know any different themselves. Like people who say "excape", "expecially", excetera.
>>
i literally couldnt care less how people pronounce 'espresso'
>>
i literally couldnt care less how people pronounce 'espresso'
>>
>>8636407
I DO. AND WHEN CASHIER OR BARISTA GIVES ME DIRTY LOOK WHEN I ASK FOR EXPRESSO
I TELL THEM THAT I FELT INSULTED BY THEIR ATTITUDE AND I CANCEL MY ORDER AND ASK FOR MY MONEY BACK
EVEN IF THE COFFEE IS ALMOST MADE.
>>
>>8636294
kek

an upvote for you
>>
>>8634463
I'm so glad that I stopped drinking coffee.
Today is 8th day of freedom from this shit.
>>
>>8636517
Good luck
>>
>>8636560
It's easy. I just don't buy coffee beans any more.
There is to much bullshit going on with coffee roasters and coffee shops selling unhealthy toxic shit.
So I said fuck you guys. And now I'm also saving money that I can use to buy something good something healthy for my body.
>>
>>8634463
My grandfather was a successful businessman with German American roots from Pennsylvania. He pronounced water as "wudder", Virginia as "Firginia" and said the "l" in salmon. He had two Masters' Degrees and did very well for himself. He traveled the world, but his speech never made it past its provincial roots. He was to focused on other things to bother cultivating an air of sophistication. This hardly worked against him when he had to deal with people who spoke French or Spanish because he had translators for that. But I suspect those poor bastards had to work extra hard some of the time to figure out what he was saying in English in the first place.

idgaf if someone calls it expresso if they know where to get a good one.
>>
>>8636585
>idgaf if someone calls it expresso if they know where to get a good one.
this will make you delicious cup of expresso every single time >>8635774
no need to waste money in coffee shops or buying expensive expresso making machines that drive you crazy how unreliable they are.
>>
>>8636598
If that were true I would have sold my burr grinder and Gaggia machine a while ago to some sucker.
>>
>>8634463
Same as when people say "liberry"
>>
File: dont give a fuck.png (423KB, 610x406px) Image search: [Google]
dont give a fuck.png
423KB, 610x406px
>>8634463
You mean with an X?

Personally, I don't really care. If it was a friend, I might correct them. However, it's really not worth looking like a obnoxious pedant in front of others.
>>
I just shrug and ask them what they mean.
>>
>>8636018

It has nothing to do with "fast". It's derived from the Italian for "pressed".
>>
>>8636646
>I might correct them.
correct fucking what?
both forms are proper, don't act like programmed sheep
>>8634923
>"espresso" is from the Italian verb esprimere, which is a corruption of the Latin verb "exprimere".
>So, if anything, "expresso" is more correct because that's more close to the word's Latin origin.
>>
>>8636668
you are delusional
look at this faggot
>>8634923
>"espresso" is from the Italian verb esprimere, which is a corruption of the Latin verb "exprimere".
>So, if anything, "expresso" is more correct because that's more close to the word's Latin origin.
>>
>>8636679

Espresso literally means "pressed".

Fast and/or express do not enter onto it.
>>
>>8636696
"pressed fast" you idiot
>>
>>8634463
Ax me that after I've had my cawfee.
>>
>>8636672
>both forms are proper
Only as proper as "catsup." In both cases it makes you sound like some ill-educated luddite.
>>
File: 1345645337695.gif (2MB, 375x212px) Image search: [Google]
1345645337695.gif
2MB, 375x212px
>>8634463
My opinion of you is 'pretentious'
>>
>>8636705
>>>8636696
>"pressed fast" you idiot

Not in modern Italian. It just means fast (there are some other non-press-related meanings as an adjective, and it can mean a fast delivery/letter or a courier as a noun, in addition to the drink...nothing related to pressing though).

It is derived from the Old Latin expressus, the past participle of exprimere, which just meant "to press out". In Medieval Latin, it had shifted to connote portraying/imitating, perhaps from the idea of pressing an object in a substance like clay to make a copy. By the 14th century, also gained an adverb meaning of "specially/on purpose", from which we eventually got express deliveries and express trains (that made no stops), and since those were fast, express has come to mean fast in modern times.
>>
>>8634463
I'm living in France so saying espresso sounds like you have a lisp.
>>
Cup of cino
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.