[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Onions causing bloating, also leeks and maybe broccoli

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Onion on a chopping board.jpg (22KB, 608x344px) Image search: [Google]
Onion on a chopping board.jpg
22KB, 608x344px
I love onions, but unfortunately, they sometimes cause me to bloat, it's extremely uncomfortable. I don't think this has every happened when the onions have been panfried till it yellows/browns, but it happens when I just boil it, and when I use onion powder. I brought this bottle of onion powder recently, and it made my broccoli and cream of mushroom pasta taste delicious - but hours later, upset stomach and bloat, it felt like my guts was swollen.

Will browning the onion powder in a pan takes away it's bloating effects? What about leeks? Leeks irritates my bowels if I try to consume more than half a stalk. Does mixing stuff like onions, leeks, and broccoli with dairy causes bloating? When I had my bad experience with leeks, I had it with cream chowder.

I normally consume a huge amount of dairy with no problem
>>
You should just remove yourself from the gene pool
>>
>>8633104
Lookup low FODMAP diets. There are a few compounds in foods like oligosaccarides which disagree with the gut of people who have IBS and others disorders. You have listed the highest on the offending foodlists. This has nothing to do with dairy which is from lacking digestive enzymes due to genetics
>>
>>8633133
Echoing this. I used FODMAPs to figure out that I am sensitive to higg-fructan produce; I save the smelly shit like broccoli for when I eat out.
>>
>>8633133
Thanks.

I'm sure I don't have IBS and I have always been thankful for it...but I probably have something. I love onions and leeks, I try to eat healthy, I get bloated belly and runs to the bathroom. : (
>>
>>8633141
I'm looking at this:
http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

Vegetables and Legumes

Want a more printer friendly chart? Go to the printable FODMAP diet chart page

Garlic – avoid entirely if possible
Includes garlic salt, garlic powder
Onions – avoid entirely if possible
Includes onion powder, pickled onions
For suitable onion and garlic substitutes try these oils
Artichoke
Asparagus
Baked beans
Beetroot
Black beans
Black eyed peas
Broad beans
Butter beans
Cassava
Cauliflower
Celery – greater than 5cm of stalk
Cho cho
Choko
Falafel
Fermented cabbage e.g. sauerkraut
Haricot beans
Kidney beans
Lima beans
Leek bulb
Mange Tout
Mixed vegetables
Mung beans
Mushrooms
Peas, sugar snap
Pickled vegetables
Red kidney beans
Savoy Cabbage
Soy beans / soya beans
Split peas
Scallions / spring onions (bulb / white part)
Shallots
Taro

Fruit – fruits can contain high fructose

Apples
Apricots
Avocado
Blackberries
Boysenberry
Cherries
Currants
Custard apple
Dates
Feijoa
Figs
Goji berries
Grapefruit
Guava, unripe
Lychee
Mango
Nectarines
Paw paw, dried
Peaches
Pears
Persimmon
Pineapple, dried
Plums
Pomegranate
Prunes
Raisins
Sultanas
Tamarillo
Tinned fruit in apple / pear juice
Watermelon
...and now I'm sure I don't have IBS, I enjoy plenty of apples. I pretty much eat everything on that list with no problems, except for onions and beans.
>>
>>8633149
I was recently diagnosed with SIBO, small intestine bacterial overgrowth. I try to follow FODMAP to the best of my abilities (bread is just too good). Consider going to a gastroenterologist, and getting a SIBO test done.
>>
>>8633104
The fucking idiot who cut the onion for the picture FIRST cut it lengthwise and THEN sliced off the top of one half.
>>
>>8633262
What's wrong with that? Genuinely asking
>>
>>8633280
You cut off the top end of the whole onion first, THEN you place the onion on the cut surface so it will keep stable. THEN you can safely cut it lengthwise without it trying to roll away and you cutting your fingers in the process. Plus it saves you a third cut.
>>
>>8633427
Makes sense. Never had an onion roll away on me though
>>
>>8633262
>The fucking idiot who cut the onion for the picture FIRST cut it lengthwise and THEN sliced off the top of one half

Grandma’s Cooking Secret
Bride finally questions why her mother cuts the ends off roasts before cooking them.
http://www.snopes.com/weddings/newlywed/secret.asp

Collected on the Internet, 1994]
The new Jewish bride is making her first big dinner for her husband and tries her hand at her mother’s brisket recipe, cutting off the ends of the roast the way her mother always did. Hubby thinks the meat is delicious, but says, “Why do you cut off the ends — that’s the best part!” She answers, “That’s the way my mother always made it.”

The next week, they go to the old bubbie’s house, and she prepares the famous brisket recipe, again cutting off the ends. The young bride is sure she must be missing some vital information, so she askes her grandma why she cut off the ends. Grandma says, “Dahlink, that’s the only way it will fit in the pan!”
>>
>>8633427

I've always cut off the top first, because that's how I peel onions. I did a job for Colossal Onions once, at first, the boss had a labour division where one chopped and the other peeled, but I get to work by myself because I'm fast, I'm fast because I do this:

1. Chop the top of the onion, but stop short of the skin at the other end - this save the board/table from being scored by the knife too.\

2. Take the top that is dangling by a fragment of skin, rip it diagonally downward. Now the onion skin can be degloved from the onion in one unwrap.
>>
>>8635360
>Colossal Onions

I just googled that, looks tasty (but pretty high caloric)

>"It's the crisyp treat, that's fun to eat"

Apparently nobody has ever told them there shouldn't be a comma after treat
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.