[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cooking with Onions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: onion.jpg (238KB, 1600x1180px) Image search: [Google]
onion.jpg
238KB, 1600x1180px
I'm going to be very poor soon and I hear onions are cheap. However, I've never eaten them outside of onion rings. What can I cook with them?

All I have is a microwave and a toaster oven, but I might be getting a crockpot soon. Thanks.
>>
Onion can be put into 99% of dishes.
>>
>>8601228
You can make curry if you got the spices, it can be very cheap and you can combine it with any meat, rice, etc
>>
>However, I've never eaten them outside of onion rings
wat

Other than perhaps potatoes, they're the most universally applicable and consumed vegetable on the planet.

Add them to any meat dish for flavour. Combine with carrots and celery for mirepoix which is a vegetable stock and flavour foundation for a TON of dishes. Combine with garlic and butter to eat them on their own, or with liver or kidney and beans and/or tomato combinations for stewy offal etc

Just about any savoury dish is improved with onions.
>>
Onions are meant for flavor and has very little nutritional value. Google foods that have high calorie per dollar value and focus on that as your main staples. Then add vegetables, including onions, to fill out the nutritional profile.
>>
>>8601245
I put them in my brownies
>>
Onions are nearly never eaten 'alone'. Their taste is a little too strong for that, but they are used to enhance taste of mostly everything.

A trivial easy, fast, cheap dish for the poorfags:

get the cheapest sausage you can. (there's really hardly any benefit going with any better brands for this dish) Slice into thin slices. Put in a skillet, put on small to medium heat. The sausage, if cheap enough, will release enough fat that you don't even need any oil.

Get onions, about twice as much by weight as the sausage. Peel, slice into half-rings. Add to the sausage, turn heat to medium-high. Sprinkle with salt generously, stir until onion is between glassy and brownish. Eat with plain bread, just a slice of bread in one hand, fork in the other.

It's very tasty, dirt cheap and very fast and easy to make, plus quite nutritious. Onion loses a lot of nutrients to searing, but the sheer amount of it in the dish makes up for that.
>>
>>8601228
I seriously don't understand how some people get this far in life and survive
>>
Why hasn't anyone mentioned French onion soup? Anyway, onions are usually used as an ingredient or garnish. Rarely the star of the dish
>>
>>8601228
You know what's also cheap? Potatoes. I like to grate up some potatoes and onions and make myself fritters.
>>
> I've never eaten them outside of onion rings

This makes me uncomfortable.
>>
>>8601339

This. Potatoes are more filling anyway.
>>
>>8601228
Onions aren't for eating, they're a fashion accessory
>>
File: Garlic-String.jpg (74KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Garlic-String.jpg
74KB, 600x400px
>>8601352

That's garlic you fool!
>>
>>8601348
Yes, but alone they are bland. Some onion goes a long way to improve their taste. A token amount of meat (say, small bits of bacon or fried sausage) is another extra that moves potatoes a class up taste-wise.

Also learn to like rice and pasta. About as cheap, take some more effort to make them tasty in 'savory' version, but you can get some filling, dirt-cheap sweet dishes out of them easily. Apple, small amounts of sugar. cinnamon, cream, vanilla sugar - and you have a delicious dish based on rice or pasta on the cheap.
>>
File: 1487610301688.png (1MB, 1440x739px) Image search: [Google]
1487610301688.png
1MB, 1440x739px
If you cook onions with a vegan, they gain control of your soul. Ancient natural magics.

Op, get a hotplate for a pan, silly.

You can find localonions that grow themselves in your yard fyttitwfyi
>>
Though you could get by with a toaster oven, watch a shitton of to YouTube toasteroven vids and report back when you can feed yourself like a big boy or girl
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.