[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

bread and baking thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: sourdoughstarter.jpg (489KB, 1024x791px) Image search: [Google]
sourdoughstarter.jpg
489KB, 1024x791px
howdy /ck/

I've been growing up a sourdough starter for the last couple of days, and am hoping to bake for the first time by the end of the week. does anybody have any foolproof recipes they'd be willing to recommend? I'd love to make a baguette or something similar to be eaten with cheese and meats. otherwise, bread + baking thread! post whatever you've been working on!
>>
Can you make a sour dough by just letting a half batch of dough "go" for like a week then mixing in the rest of the flour and then letting it rise, then bake and eat?

Or do you really have to do all that bullshit like throwing half of it away and feeding it more flour and shit.
>>
>>8599738
you could in theory but too much other shit will develop in there over the course of that week that will make it either spoiled or taste bad
>>
>>8599826
Why does throwing out half, then mixing in more water/flour help than? Wouldn't it all just rot all the same?

Do you even have to do that step, I've always heard you do.
>>
Also, unrelated to my lack of sourdough knowledge; what is the best way to get a very light sandwich bread/bread roll?

My bread and rolls always come out good, but not as light as I'd like. Tips?
>>
>>8599886
by discarding half and adding more water/flour, you are adding more nutrients for the existing yeast/bacteria to consume, and therefore grow.

the idea is that the "good" yeast and bacteria thrive in the acidic, sourdough environment, and outcompete the "bad" yeast and bacteria.

fermentation is a proven way to kill dangerous pathogens, which probably would still be in your starter if you didn't step it up at all and only used the first generation.

your example would "rot," the proper way would ferment
>>
>>8599738
>Can you make a sour dough by just letting a half batch of dough "go" for like a week then mixing in the rest of the flour and then letting it rise, then bake and eat?
I have heard that adding pineapple juice makes for a perfect environment for sourdough bacteria to grow
>>
>>8599917
What do you mean by "light"? Open crumb, lighter color...?
>>
>>8600215
Lighter crumb, less dense, etc.
>>
>>8599917
use bleached and bromated flour
>>
>>8599692
>sourdough
>baguette
pick one
>>
>>8602765

why

you can easily make a baguette with sourdough base
>>
>>8599692
No kneed artisan bread is a good, easy start. Just google it
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.