[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Literally my life.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 12

File: oRnZhVa.jpg (156KB, 800x833px) Image search: [Google]
oRnZhVa.jpg
156KB, 800x833px
Literally my life.
>>
>>8580046
Make your brat eat it. Let them fucking starve until they do.
>>
>>8580054
I don't have kids I'm just a NEET.
>>
>>8580066
So you're the one wanting plain ass pasta? You gotta work on that, man.
>>
>>8580046
I was like that until my wife lost it one night and screamed at me.
>>
>>8580046
The comic is stupid. Puttanesca is meant to be a quick meal to prepare, so only a retard would spend "all day" making it. It's name suggests it's something a woman would quickly throw together after a day out whoring around. Also it isn't served with cheese.

So the adult character is as retarded as the fussy little shit kid. But the underlying point that kids have shit taste is true.
>>
>>8580099
It's just an exaggeration to play up how frustrating it is when the kid doesn't even try it.
>>
>>8580099
get a load of this guy
>>
>>8580103
I get it, but the author obviously doesn't know shit about Italian cooking, because he chose a classic Italian quick sauce as something that takes all day to make, then serves it with cheese, which an Italian would never do. It may be just a comic, but it doesn't have to be inadvertently a way to show the author's ignorance.
>>
>>8580117
Why wouldn't italian serve pasta with cheese? why are italians so anal about pasta? they flip out if you add oil or salt to pasta. what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>8580130
Because the sauce has anchovies in it. While you can find many exceptions to the "no cheese on fish dishes" rule in Italian cuisine it would apply here.
>>
>>8580130

They do serve pasta with cheese, but that would be a totally different recipe than Puttanesca.

The problem is that the comic is colluding two totally different recipes. Puttanesca, by definition, does not contain cheese.
>>
>>8580137
Dude just stop posting.
>>
>>8580162
He's right, though.
>>
>>8580162
If we're not allowed to care about food and cooking on a food and cooking board, maybe you should take it to /co/ or something.
>>
>>8580099
>>8580137
>Puttanesca, by definition, does not contain cheese.
And French fries, by definition, don't contain ketchup. What's your point?
>>
>>8580162
kill yourself
>>
>>8580078
Kek
>>
>>8580239
Traditional dishes generally have specific definitions of what they are and aren't Generations of grandmothers and cooks worked this shit out. If you don't have any food traditions it might be difficult to understand. Go back to your BBQ chicken pizza.
>>
Only fucking autists care about food rules.
Every time someone complains that something is not authentic i want to punch them in the face.
Just eat the fucking food
>>
>>8580253
I see your point but its fucking bullshit and stifling.
The nice thing about america is we tossed that bullshit out years ago.
Food traditions are just a jumping off point unless you have zero creativity.
>>
>All food was perfected a century ago any any changes are automatically bad
>>
>>8580276
Anchovies and parmesan isn't automatically bad

It's just bad
>>
>>8580256
The name of a dish should convey to the hearer a sense of what the dish will be. If you've eaten puttanesca and request puttanesca, but are presented with bolognese, you won't be pleased.

The same with the name of anything, really. If you say I want a dog and someone presents you with a cat, you're going to be pissed.
>>
>>8580269
It's usually made worse though. Your "throwing out tradition" means the same as "dumping cheese, fat, cream and high fructose corn syrup over food"
>>
>>8580288
Wrong
Look at anchovie pizza , always better with parm
>>
>>8580290
Only an autist sees the world this way.
Shades of grey anon, learn the subtleties
>>
>>8580299
You're allowed to make as many changes to a dish as you want. At that point however, you shouldn't call it the same name. Because it's different.
>>
>>8580306
Wrong
>>
File: pasta.jpg (322KB, 1573x1600px) Image search: [Google]
pasta.jpg
322KB, 1573x1600px
behold, penne allarrabbiata, made in america
>>
>>8580253
>>8580290
Grating parmesan onto some puttanesca doesn't change the name of the dish underneath it. Sure, you can be annoyed if you order something and it comes with parmesan on top you didn't want or ask for, but there's no reason to be annoyed at someone eating puttanesca with parmesan and calling it as such.

By your logic, we should come up with new names to pigeonhole every possible combination, preparation and serving of ingredients, unless prepared in a vacuum with industrial grade sterilisation.
>>
>>8580306
As long as the basic defining elements are there, you can make all the changes you please.
No need to follow some naming rule book
>>
>>8580269
>I see your point but its fucking bullshit and stifling.
No it isn't. There's no police in your kitchen forcing you to cook traditional dishes. You can just make shit up if you want. But if you do and call your creations by the names of traditional dishes people will call you out on it.

Think about it like this: tradition gets passed down because it's good enough to stand the test of time. In places like France and Italy the traditional food is so good it's revered. People are quite happy to eat traditional food on a regular basis. In a place like Spain it lives side my side with modern cooking a little easier.

The value of traditional foods has a lot to do with how rich a region's cooking traditions are. The cooking in Louisiana would be an American example of American food traditions that go deep enough to be revered. And for good reason - that food is fucking great. And when I want to eat gumbo or red beans and rice I want the traditional style, not someone fucking with the dishes. If you're inspired by that food and want to make up your own dishes influenced by it that's great. But if you pass off your creations as traditional people will call bullshit on you. Rightly so.
>>
>>8580342
>people will call you out on it.
Not where i live.
>>
>>8580312
This proves the entire argument. If the original name of a standardized dish based on centuries of tradition, is used for some bastardization, then communication breaks down and we're left with the tower of babel. We can communicate because names for specific things denote that exact thing to speaker and listener.
>>
>>8580342
>I want the traditional style, not someone fucking with the dishes
This is because you are autistic
>>
>>8580342
>people will call bullshit on you. Rightly so.
No, no one cares except a few autists that you dont really want in your restaurant anyway.
>>
>>8580347
>not where I live

Because in flyoverville no one knows the name of any dish outside of hamburgers, hotdogs and tendies.
>>
>>8580351
Except that is not real and there is no impending crisis except in you autistic brain.
Please take an online autism test and stop posting
>>
>>8580360
Not really. It's why 'Italian' and 'Italian-American' fooods are defined differently.
>>
>>8580367
>Wah people not accepting my cream, peas and hotdog carbonara are autistic wah

This is you right now.
>>
>>8580361
Go to los angeles or new york and try a nice restaurant on any street.
Your rules will be broken in all the good ones.
>>
>>8580375
No one is making these dishes except your silly imagination.
Take the test
>>
>>8580376
Yes but those are American restaurants. Not Italian or Spanish or Indian or Chinese but American, creating dishes for American palates with ingredients that are easier for them to get hold of. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not the same thing anymore.
>>
>>8580299
>Only an autist sees the world this way.
Not at all true when it comes to codified traditional cuisines like you find in France and Italy. What many of these dishes are is pretty firmly established.
>>8580334
You can't grasp the idea, because you live with cheese on everything as a default. That's not how it works everywhere. In traditional cooking even the garnishes are pretty specific. In Italian cooking specific cheeses are used in specific situations, and in some no cheese at all is stipulated. Even though it's unfathomable to most Americans on some Italian pasta dishes (usually seafood ones) cheese is never used.
>>8580352
Think of it like this. When you eat at a chain restaurant you go there because you know exactly what you're going to get. McDonald's tastes like McDonald's. Traditional cuisines offer a similar assurance, just on a much higher level. When I'm in the mood for something more daring or interesting I just choose a restaurant that isn't doing traditional food. The risk with that is that it takes a damned fine chef to beat dishes so good they lasted for hundreds of years.
>>8580347
It's tough to understand the value of tradition if you've never experienced it.
>>8580369
This. Just because someone lives in a place where they're unaware of that distinction doesn't meat it doesn't exist.
>>
File: 12d.jpg (31KB, 567x561px) Image search: [Google]
12d.jpg
31KB, 567x561px
>>8580395
>>
Food is about what tastes good, not what people did with it hundreds of years ago. Note that all this shitposter does is ad hom and "it's not traditional", with almost no mention of what tastes good or doesn't.
>>
>>8580395
>It's tough to understand the value of tradition if you've never experienced it.

Its tough to imagine the freedom from letting go of tradition if you have never experienced it.
>>
File: 1476539454616.png (195KB, 417x578px) Image search: [Google]
1476539454616.png
195KB, 417x578px
>why won't you eat [x]
>because it looks weird
>>
>>8580404
>>8580405
>>8580413
But traditional regional foods are a matter of culture and identity for many people. Even in the US there are examples of this. Think about your family's Thanksgiving dinner. Imagine the reaction you'd get if you started fucking around with that meal and maybe you can begin to understand the role food plays in some cultures.
>>
>>8580427
I wouldn't really care if they fucked around with the turkey as long as it tasted good, I've even had a year where my thanksgiving dinner had no turkey.

The only valid point you ever had was that you have to specify that it isn't traditional (Puttanesca + cheese), but you always make it sound like non traditional is always bad and anyone who has a cosmopolitan pallete has trash taste.
>>
>>8580427
That deep fried turkey i made fucked them up so bad they had seconds.
>>
>>8580342
I think you're 100% right and the people you're arguing with are a bunch of prissy retards with no respect for food or culture.
>>
I knew the second someone mentioned puttanesca that all the pretentious fucks would come crawling out of the woodwork.
>>
>>8580427
Have you ever been to america?
Most people are sick of turkey and make something else.
Everyone is keen to re invent every single dish.
Green chile mashed potatoes.
Garlic tarragon stuffing
Sweet potato biscuits.
Whoresradish in the cranberry.
Most educated people dont care about tradition.
Its just a silly old person meme.
>>
>>8580461
>no respect for food or culture.
Half right, i repect food, old cultures are meant for the museum.
>>
>>8580471
Or for the smallpox blankets right?

Just because America has no culinary traditions doesn't mean other countries have to start changing to suit your expectations.
>>
>>8580427
You won't get anywhere. Improvement to these people is adding cheese fat and cream to things that don't need it.
>>
>>8580441
>you always make it sound like non traditional is always bad and anyone who has a cosmopolitan pallete has trash taste.
Nothing is further from the truth. Some of the best meals I've had in my life were in places where the chef was making non traditional food or riffing on traditions in a new way. I'm just saying discounting respect for tradition as autism is a level of ignorance that usually accompanies trash taste. Because most great food is informed by a tradition if not a part of one. Sure, being too reverent toward tradition can be stifiling, and you will hear Italian cooks complain about that. Then you go to a region with a traditional cuisine you see why people choose not to fuck with it, and are thankful they didn't. Go to NOLA, or just about any region in France or Italy. The traditional food is so good you'd need a god tier chef to beat it. And of course such chefs exist. But their restaurants are often more expensive than the very good traditional ones.
>>8580467
>Have you ever been to america?
I live here
>Most educated people dont care about tradition.
>>8580471
>repect food, old cultures are meant for the museum.
Maybe so, but before putting them behind the glass you can learn the secrets of their deliciousness. This shit is rarely arbitrary - things were done specific ways for specific reasons. Good to get a handle on that before you consider them relics. Because there's no reason to reinvent the wheel if you don't have to.
Not where I live. They aren't chained to it, but take pride in being aware of it.
>>
>>8580046
This exactly what happens to me. I spend all day making food and my wifes son comes home, refuses to eat it and I end up making frozen tendies instead.
>>
>>8580488
Now you are just backtracking
>>
>>8580486
It's the defensiveness that comes from ignorance. "If I don't know about it then it can't be all that important and you're just trying to make me feel uncultured." Put more cheese on it, preferably the cheapest stuff possible.
>>
>Go to McDonalds
>Order a McChicken
>Be served a BigMac
>Complain
>Be told it's the new take on McChicken and that I'm autistic for expecting chicken in my McChicken, there is no "traditional recipe" with chicken and replacements are to be accepted by true 'Muricans because there is the "general idea" of a McChicken
>Tip, get shot, walk the dinosaur, etc.

Then you'll tell me it's OK to deconstruct recipes, is that right?
>>
>>8580471
What you're doing is making chocolate ice cream while calling it vanilla, and then tell people to fuck off if they disagree.

Puttanesca means a very specific thing, adding other ingredients to it is fine to me. But it's not puttanesca anymore.
>>
>>8580501
Not at all. Puttanesca is a traditional dish. I'm sure an anchovy-tomato-cheese pasta could be delicious. But it won't be puttanesca, because it's a traditional dish that does not have cheese in it. If you want to make it up you gotta name it, too.
>>
>>8580505
The only ones defending anything are the autists with thier "traditions".
Look up defensive in the dictionary anon.
>>
>>8580522
>assumes culinary tradition is valueless
>attacks those who respect it as autistic, and possibly unamerican
>passive aggressive
What part of the Midwest are you from?
>>
>>8580488
Sure didn't seem like it from the previous comments of yours. I'm glad to see that you've mellowed out.
>>8580501
The word is backpedaling
>>
>>8580467
There's nothing wrong with any of those things, but none of those are specific named dishes, made up of certain combinations of ingredients.
>>
>>8580546
I was reacting to posters entirely disregarding the value of tradition when it comes to cuisine, which is absurd.
>>
>>8580536
First you are talking to at least two if not more anons.
My position is that trational dishes are a great jumping off point and changing them up a bit is no reason to go searching for a new name.
Not sure if that is enough respect for you.
>>
>puts burger patty on bun with cheese
>"thats a cheeseburger"
>adds lettuce, mayo and dash of ketchup
>*autistic ragefit ensues*
>"thats not a fucking cheeseburger holy fuck muh tradition RRREEEEEEE!
>>
>>8580561
Wait, burgers didn't originally come with lettuce?
>>
>>8580511
>the i need to argue something totally not the same so i can have an argument argument
>>
>>8580555
That really depends on your audience. If you're serving your take on ratatouille to someone from Provence, and you've taken some liberties with it they will tell you it's not ratatouille. If you're serving it to someone who only knows Thomas Keller's deconstruction of the dish from the movie you're fine.
>>
>>8580555
Depends how you define "changing up a bit" if you mean slightly changing some ingredients for similar alternatives and flavours or whether you mean "I'm changing the pasta for sweet potato and the parmesan for maple syrup"
>>
>>8580575
You keep suggesting all these outlandish combintations when all thats really happening is someone is sprinkling a bit of parm on top of pasta putanesca.
>>
Guys, it's fucking food.
>>
>>8580589
To most Italians that would be outlandish.
>>
>>8580137
The word you're looking for is conflating
>>
>>8580613
I doubt they would sperg out half as bad as you did.
>>
>>8580490
>get to cook for enjoyment
>end up eating tendies
I don't see the problem???
>>
>>8580561
You're so retarded it hurts.
>>
>>8580626
You've never hung with Italians. There's only one right way to do anything, and that's exactly how their grandma did it. Veer from that and you're probably ruining the dish.
>>
>>8580640
Sounds like i am not missing much.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (10KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
10KB, 320x180px
>>8580630
>throws autistic fit
>"You're retarded! Rrrrrrreeeeee!"
Pic related: The time Louis Theroux visited you and your mom
>>
>>8580640
I have to say, i dont see any value in that attitude.
>>
>>8580640
Raw footage of an italian man at Bobs Big Boy
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dptnv250tn5Y&ved=0ahUKEwiLmvXC95LSAhVIHGMKHYl_Dy4QwqsBCBwwAA&usg=AFQjCNHlcJqU69a0Gq7vNHWw6yL1wEv3Dw&sig2=1aSvVlHyd8o3Bqx8ZZAOyw
>>
>>8580732
When those grandmothers were good cooks at the very worst, and many excellent cooks it makes sense. These women didn't cook with the wisdom of one person - they had generations of region specific information powering them. Here are the dishes we make when we're knee deep in fava beans, here are the dishes for when the artichokes come in. This is how you make the pasta to serve the family every Sunday night. Here's how you make the sausages that get hung in the chimney in late fall. These women knew way more than someone with reasonably good taste just dicking around in the kitchen. They knew what dishes to make when, varying things up by what's in season. They knew where to get and how to best show off the local products.

The closest thing we had to that in the US would have been 19th Century farmhouse cooking, and the last of that disappeared during the Depression. If that had had a few more centuries to develop it could have given what these grandmothers a run for their money. But history didn't work out that way for us.
>>
>>8580626
Yes they would lol
>>
>>8580405

Fucking cultureless Amerifats man.
>>
>>8580466

Because /ck/'s favorite past-time is literally triggering Italians?
>>
>>8580795
Thats all well and good but its time to grow up.
An entire country that only does things like granny did is doomed to failure.
Times change.
>>
>>8580099
I think he also made the pasta, so it may have taken a while. I haven't made pasta from scratch but I imagine it could take a while.
>>
>>8580626

You would literally be openly mocked to your face for putting cheese on top of spaghetti alla puttanesca.

And deserve it.

You cultureless Amerifat.
>>
>>8580821
>mama mia! the pasta supposed to have a no cheese
>screeching ensues
>>
>>8580342

...is this Irish Stew Guy?
>>
>>8580813
>An entire country that only does things like granny did is doomed to failure.
Agreed. But if you can't cook better than granny then you'd be pretty fucking wise to learn from her before she's gone and all that wisdom dies with her.

Hell, I'm not even Italian and I've cribbed as much as I could from the Italian (and even Italian American) grandmothers I've met.
>>
>>8580821
Smoking on the toilet and communicating with your family exclusively in shouting does not constitute culture, Vinnie.
>>
>>8580640
That's so fucking true and it doesn't just end with food. My gf's family is Italian and they (including her) always feel the need to do things the way their parents/grandparents did it. For example, my gf wants 2 kids (because her parents had 2 kids) and she wants 2 girls (because her parents had 2 girls). She wants to go vacation the same place she's always gone vacation and she wants a detached house because her parents always had a detached house. She make some nasty dishes over and over because that's what her parents made and trying to get her to venture outside of what she was used to eating (which was all very carb heavy and sugary stuff) was a fucking chore. Italians are just super tribal by nature for some reason and they basically refuse to change or alter anything even if it'd be obviously better for them.
>>
>>8580832
Italian is not the best food in the world by any means.
>>
>>8580865
Dude you need to get out of that relationship.
>>
>>8580885

And that post never said it was.

Best or not, it's always a good thing to learn as much as you can.
>>
>>8580865
Sounds more Italian American to me. A big problem with Italian American food is that when the Southern Italians landed here they couldn't easily get the vegetables familiar back home. So they stopped eating vegetables for the most part. They even had a tough time getting olive oil. But meat, dairy, wheat, sugar and tomato paste were all cheap and widely available. So that's what they ran with. This resulted in some amazing dishes, but none of the seasonality or variety that you find in Italian food.
>>8580885
It's not even one cuisine. Depending on how you break it down there are five or more major regional variants. They're all pretty strong.
>>
>>8580117
>>8580130
Italy's food culture is younger than the official United States government. The whole thing was made up in a desperate attempt to make Italy look as refined and traditional as France and England during the late 1800s. Italy was even the last of the major European nations to accept imports of tomato products from the Americas because it is in the nightshade family of plants and Italians believed it was poisonous. Every time some silly pasta nigger tells me about the "real" way to make pasta or how "authentic" something is I just can't help but laugh. Adding that to their ridiculous small dog attitude toward people questioning their culture or italian-ness and it's easy too see why America created a separate version of the cuisine so as to reduce the number of Italians that they had to deal with.
>>
>>8580947
yeah ok but pasta has been a staple of the mediterranean since antiquity
>>
>>8580947
I had heard that itatians did not even invent marinara but i never payed attention to it.
>>
>>8580833

I actually laughed out loud at this. Also, it's smoking EVERYWHERE, not just on the toilet. Also, yes it does.
>>
>>8580947
>Italy's food culture is younger than the official United States government.
What are you talking about? Italian cuisine has roots back to Rome, and even Greece. Sure, back then it was a bunch of city-states and not a unified country. But the cuisine is still pretty regional. And red sauce pasta that's the cornerstone of Italian American food is just a small part of it.
>>
>>8580865

Reminds me of my sister's Italian-American boyfriend that claims all things actually originated in Italy

>Pierogi? nah that's a rip off of Gnocchi
>Ballroom dancing? nah that's actually called Italian dancing (despite the tango, samba, rumba etc.)
>cashews? actually they're called Italian peanuts
>>
>>8580947
>Pretending any of what is known as traditional French or English food culture significantly predates the late 1800s

Gr8 b8 m8, I r8 it 8/8.
>>
>>8581039

Its roots might be technically that old, but the style of cooking back then has virtually nothing in common with modern "Italian cuisine".
>>
>>8580046
This comic might make sense if he said "wow SOUNDS good" instead of "wow looks good."
>>
That's when you get out the belt and smack your kid upside the head with it, dummy
>>
>>8580046
>all day
>it took all day to make spaghetti with some extra stuff

childhood is thinking the dad's justifiable annoyed that his son's palette makes him unable to enjoy what he does, adulthood is realizing the dad is a pleb
>>
So what we can take from this thread is that italians are uptight assholes?
>>
>>8581145
You're so triggered, my American friend.
>>
>>8581193
>>8581193.
Not triggered , just trying to figure out who is telling me the truth here. If italians are as bad as people say then I wont go to italy any time soon. I hope the portugese are more reasonable because I do want to vacation somewhere in southern europe this summer.
>>
>>8581203
Italians are lovely. Just very traditional when it comes to food. On the plus side, that traditionalism is well founded. The food is great there as long as you avoid tourist trap places.
>>
>>8581217
This is objectively wrong. Italians are the niggers of the Mediterranean.
>>
>>8581217
>>8581217
Being unreasonable and inflexible is not well founded traditionalism is just being assholish
>>
>>8580099
>Puttanesca
>Putta
>Putta esque

Huh.
>>
>>8581250
Your loss. I've been a bunch of times and very much enjoyed the people, food and wine.
>>
>>8580897
Ah yes, you're right. Based off of one post on an weaboo cooking message board related to one specific facet of my relationship you certainly know all the intricacies of my relationship and I should get the fuck out. Thanks anon I'll get right on throwing away a perfectly good relationship based on you expert advice.
>>
>>8581264
Yeah but to be honest, you are kind of a prick as well
>>
>>8581271
That one post was solid red flags anon. I bet if I went to your house for dinner I would find a ton more.
Most western women are horrible these days and will ruin your life.
Yours sounds like a nightmare to be quite tbqhwy
>>
>>8581278
Only to people who champion willful ignorance.
>>
>>8580066
So why are you cooking for kids? Do you keep them in your rape dungeon?
>>
>>8581292
>>8581292
People who do not want to stick to your strict nomeclature are willfully ignorant?
See this is what I am talking about.
Languages change and meanings are fluid ... but an asshole is an asshole.
>>
>>8581301
I don't understand your post.
>>
>>8581203
>I hope the portugese are more reasonable
Don't go to Lisbon. Go to Porto
>>
>>8580669
This
My eyes are bleeding at the autistic screeching posts.
The anons complaining are being quite anal
Some therapy perhaps is in order
>>
File: 1481585133020.jpg (53KB, 1024x921px) Image search: [Google]
1481585133020.jpg
53KB, 1024x921px
>>8580830
It sure as fuck sounds like him.
>>
>>8581327
Assuming your Peoria level opinions are normal because they line up with how everyone you know happens to think is quite a leap. There's a bigger world out there. Most folks would say if it's an Italian dish then the right way to make it would be the Italian way. Like I said, it might be unfathomable to some Americans, but cheese does not go on everything, regardless of how fluid you think language may be.
>>
>>8581408
You believe all intelligent people believe what you believe.
You are incorrect.
>>
>>8581417
No I don't. But I do believe it unwise to go with the Midwest when it comes to Italian food. Look at how they fucked up pizza.
>>
>>8581422
'go 'za is unequivocally pizza's ascendant state
>>
>>8581422
'Go 'za is just a style mang
There are loads of styles now
Gotta live in the present
Who needs mothers cooking tips when I have Marco pierre white
>>
>>8580269
Yeah, fuck these traditions.
I like HFCS in everything, too.
Seriously, america, WTF. BUddy of mine imported american beef jerky, just for the hell of it.
Dried Beef.
This shit had 45 percent HFCS as ingredient. Why?
But fuck traditions. Your food distribution and fast food chain culture is seriously shit. But i am jealous of the the kind of multicultural eating culture you have in major citys easily available ethnic restaurants and a serious love for the product. Just ignore the fucking hipsters eating there.
>>
>>8581408
You do realize that every Italian has their own super specific way to cook their dishes right?

Have you seriously never wondered why you get autistic Italians arguing about how there mother or grandmother cooked it in the comments section wherever there's an Italian recipe online.

There is no set way to cook food, only the general kind of taste of the dish and the name is "traditional", adding cheese to fucking puttanesca won't ruin the dish, stop acting like an autistic Italian
>>
>>8581389
What's wrong with Lisbon?
>>
>>8581551

Listen up, flyover Amerifat, what you are saying is basically the equivalent of saying

>It's fine to put ketchup on a steak!
>It's fine to put A-1 steak sauce on fish!
>Don't be so "traditional"
>>
File: olaf.png (359KB, 424x494px) Image search: [Google]
olaf.png
359KB, 424x494px
>>8580046
>puttanesca
>>
>>8581722
Jokes on you, I'm Italian
>>
>>8581810

Yeah, like the typical Bostonian is "Irish"
>>
>>8581913
Nope, I'm from Pavia, it's a small town in Lombardy that's close-ish to Milan
>>
>>8580511
>go to McDonalds
>order a McChicken
>ask for ketchup on a McChicken
>"REEEEEEE A MCCHICKEN BY DEFINITION DOES NOT AND CANNOT HAVE KETCHUP ON IT"
>>
>>8582054
Sorry, I'm amerifat and don't even know where Italy is on a blank world map, let alone Milan. I'm proud of it, too!
>>
>>8582168
Ok amerifag, have fun being a moron then
>>
>>8582054

And yet you don't understand the concept that a traditional recipe is made a certain way?

Be serious here. It's not like you would go to a restaurant in Rome, order spaghetti cacio e pepe and not be surprised if they use parmigiano instead of pecorino Romano.

And you also can't pretend that it isn't frowned upon in most parts of Italy to put cheese on any pasta that includes fish.
>>
>>8582214
Putting cheese on fish is retarded full stop and I really don't really give a fuck what kind of cheese they use in a cacio e pepe, the name just means cheese and pepper, sure I'd be surprised but I wouldn't get all autistic about it and go on about how the dish is ruined and that the fundamental structure of the dish is compromised or some shit that an autistic Italian would say while discussing food.

I understand the concept of a traditional dish, I just think it's ridiculous to say that's the only way the dish can be and if it isn't prepared a super specific way like grandma made it that it's ruined, for example people say you can't put cheese on puttanesca, seriously, who gives a shit, it's still puttanesca, only difference is that someone grated cheese on it, as I said earlier almost everyone's grandma does something different from eachothers and this is the cause of a lot of internet arguments whenever Italian food comes up
>>
>>8582292
>Putting cheese on fish is retarded full stop

Thank you for agreeing with me.
>>
>>8582308
I literally can't think of a seafood dish that cheese goes well with, it just overpowers the flavour of the fish.
>>
>>8582317
Ever had cheesy crabcakes? GOAT.
>>
>>8580427
I fuck around with our thanksgiving meal every year. One year I did Asian, with Soy Glazed Green Beans, mochi stuffing, and other shit like that. Last year it was pumpkin Challah with pumpkin Challah stuffing. It's fun trying new things, and it's more fun when you do new things with an old theme like Thanksgiving.
>>
>>8580818
>I think he also made the pasta, so it may have taken a while. I haven't made pasta from scratch but I imagine it could take a while.
Pasta is a lot easier to make than you think. I was surprised the first few times I made it, people act like "fresh pasta" is a big deal but it's simple and relatively quick to make.
>>
>>8582648
Honestly never been a big fan of shellfish, not a big fan of the taste and it always makes my stomach feel really fucked, a lot of people in my family are allergic to shellfish though so that might explain my stomach feeling really fucked after eating it
>>
>>8580046
>a spicy sauce with black olives and anchovies and shit
>super quick to make
>"I spent all day on this... kids love olives right?"

what a retard
>>
>>8582699
You aren't missing much god damn those fucking ocean insects if I could I would hunt those fuckers down and COMMIT GENOCIDE on the hordes of unblinking unfeeling exoskeleton FUCKS with their damned underwater gill BREATHING fucking cunts don't deserve to live god fucking damn I'm heated shit
>>
>>8582712
Yeah, I never really liked the taste of shellfish in general, pretty shit tier meat desu.

Also the explosive shits it gives me sometimes fucking sucks
>>
>>8582712
Why do you hate crustaceans?
>>
ITT: Autistic manchild italian weeaboo desperately wants everyone to know that his favorite countries food is perfect and any changes in the recipe is sacrilege.

This is literally the most autistic chain of posts in a thread I have EVER seen in a thread on 4chan, and I've been here 8 years. Screencap this shit.
>>
>>8582731
The kinds of people that get super autistic about Italian food are usually Americans who claim they had an Italian ancestor
>>
File: (You).jpg (220KB, 600x324px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
220KB, 600x324px
>>8582731
>>8582740
>>
>>8582781
Lemme guess, you're one of those autists.
>>
>>8582790
*Hello tumblr
>>
File: 1475061426613.jpg (95KB, 625x790px) Image search: [Google]
1475061426613.jpg
95KB, 625x790px
>>8582802
Food autist detected
>>
lole le detected
lole le cate xD
>>
>>8582855
The cake is a lie!
>>
>>8582855
>>8582860
This is pure unadulterated autism
>>
>>8582868
Yeah there's autism! Aut is in your mom!
>>
>>8582731

ITT: Cultureless Amerifats totally unable to comprehend respect for a culinary tradition because they don't have any.
>>
>>8583262
ITT: Autism over grating cheese on a pasta dish that doesn't normally have it

Before you try and call me a "cultureless Amerifat" I'm Italian
>>
>>8583262
That tradition only started because Italy didn't have cheese back then. Traditions need updating occasionally.
>>
>>8583543
Okay, you're a cultureless dago then.
Happy?
>>
>>8583559
Jesus you are autistic, none of these so called "traditions" are set in stone, everyone's going to have a slightly different recipe and if you're so far up your own ass with your "traditions" you can't see this I feel sorry for your dumb ass, you're just as bad as those autistic Americans who claim to be Italian that fight over a minute detail.

Putting in a new ingredient or doing something slightly different because it enhances the flavour of the dish isn't going to suddenly ruin it, in fact that's how we ended up with these so called "traditional dishes", people kept adding ingredients to food in order to enhance the taste of the food, it's not like these recipes appeared out of thin fucking air.

If humans had thought that way throughout history we'd still be eating plain roasted meat and vegetables like a bunch of stupid peasants out of respect for "tradition"
>>
>>8583590
It's not a zero sum game. Traditionally something is or isn't done because reasons. Those reasons may have been lost to time, but at one point they were relevant. Anyone can say "fuck that" and do whatever they want. But when you choose to do that you've stepped outside of tradition. And you're right when you say that's how innovation happens. The most interesting cuisines on the planet are a result of several traditions rubbing against each other in times affluent enough that people could give a shit about what they ate beyond subsistence.

When it comes to tradition the thing to ask yourself is, "What might generations of combined wisdom might have known that I don't?" Fail to ask that and you'll be scarfing down a Skyline 3-Way or a stuffed crust meat lover's pizza like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Or eating sliced bread. Point is there's always something new out there, and before embracing it you can choose to ask yourself whether you're lowering your standards by doing so.
>>
>>8583590
>Putting ketchup on steak isn't going to ruin it.

Yes it is, Amerilard.
>>
>>8580818
Takes like 5 minutes to make pasta
>>
>>8580379
I was served a cream, peas, and ham carbonara tortellini the other day. I was pretty disappointed that I payed $14 for Alfredo and cold cuts with frozen peas.

Don't call something what it isnt
>>
>>8583642
Most of these traditions were born out of poverty, ways to make food taste decent with what they had/could afford or were just rich people back then being rich enough to afford shit like copious amounts of meat and imported spices and shit, nowadays non of that matters that much since food is really fuckin cheap, we're free to experiment and break traditions, sure the traditional way might taste good but it could probably taste 10x better with that one ingredient, shit with that one change you could have started a whole new tradition, if you aren't comfortable with experimenting and would rather eat something you know how to cook well for sure that's fine but it's ridiculous to get all up in arms about others experimenting with known dishes.

My whole point is that it's retarded to cling so tightly to these traditions that you forget to have fun and experiment with your food, you have centuries upon centuries of food knowledge from so many different cultures and traditions at your fingertips, you can almost certainly make better food than the previous generations did if you really tried so why limit your cooking to only what grandma could cook and as you said the previous generations knew quite a bit about food and now since we have the internet you have access to all of it and more so why not experiment.

Also junk food is always gonna be junk food, your only lowering your standards if you create something so unhealthy and lacking in nutrition like skyline 3-way chilli or a stuffed crust meatlovers pizza or if you're trying to pass off something that tastes like shit as good i.e andouille sausage, it literally smells like shit and tastes like how I'd imagine shit would.
>>
>>8583682
Why does it taste so wierd though. Its nothing like dry pasta.
Its like you can taste the flour.
>>
>>8583702

All great food cultures were born out of poverty, Amerilard.
>>
>>8583707
>french
>>
>>8583720

Thanks for proving my point. You may want to look into the history of French cuisine if you don't realize that you just agreed with me.
>>
>>8583724
Then how do you explain swiss cheese huh tough guy
>>
>>8583707
I'm not saying that some good food didn't originate from poverty tard, in fact I said that traditional food can taste good in the first paragraph except that I didn't say that all good food comes from a poor background, there's plenty of great food that doesn't come from a background of poverty, also I'm not even American, why would you assume that?
>>
>>8580099
Actually puttanesca is made with ingredients that you can buy in advance, cause a whore(puta) cant buy fresh cheese and meat'nd shit. But she can have ansjovis, olives, tomatoes, garlic laying around etc.
>>
>>8583733

The assumption comes from your total cluelessness about food and food cultures.

Everywhere in the world culinary traditions are born of the resourcefulness demanded by poverty. Even in the US, all of the indigenous food culture comes from the poor in the Southern US.
>>
>>8583735
No, the name came because the whores would put thier disgusting vag juices on the pasta to give it flavor.
When the pasta became popular, the sweet grandmotherly types with normal vaginas had to substitute anchovies.
>>
>>8583666
It depends on the context, if you're squirting half a bottle of Heinz on a nice steak that is retarded but that's easily fixed with a knife to scrape it off and and a napkin or something to get the residual ketchup off, it certainly doesn't outright ruin a steak unless you leave it on and eat it though, Heinz on a minute steak sandwich is just fine though, a nice homemade ketchup with a good steak is fine whereas a homemade ketchup with a minute steak while it might be nice is a waste of homemade ketchup and is retarded
>>
>>8583747
>Unironically defending ketchup on steak

Kill yourself.
>>
>>8583743
Mate, you're the one that's absolutely clueless, you're just assuming that good food only comes from a background of poverty, think about all the pastries and cakes you've eaten, do you really think they've come from a background of poverty? What about roast meat? Why don't you skim through wikipedia or something for a bit and then come back and try to tell us that good food only comes from poverty
>>
>>8583749
I'm guessing you've never had anything apart from Heinz ketchup
>>
>>8583753

I'm sorry you are too ignorant to be familiar with the peasant origins of vertically all the staple dishes and techniques in the overwhelming majority of the world's greatest food cultures, but your ignorance is your own fault.

Hint: Historically, in most food cultures the wealthy ate really boring food.
>>
>>8583767
>the wealthy ate really boring food.
Lol no
>>
>>8583767
There are plenty of good dishes that are now considered staples nowadays from rich origins, roast meats and cheeses for example, like do you honestly think everyone back then could afford meat and cheese? You are so ignorant if you actually believe that
>>
>>8583702
>Most of these traditions were born out of poverty
Man is in ingenious creature. Faces with adversity he finds a way to make deliciousness. But the traditions of deliciousness come from those peasant beginnings followed by generations of relatively cosmopolitan wealth. That's how the good peasant ideas get refined into a tradition of great cooking.
>you have centuries upon centuries of food knowledge from so many different cultures and traditions at your fingertips, you can almost certainly make better food than the previous generations did
IF you bother to learn from them. This is what makes great chefs. But if you just discount traditions as antique bullshit you learn nothing. You're left reinventing the wheel over and over again.
>junk food is always gonna be junk food
I disagree. If you're at a celebration feast there's no such thing. If you're desperate for calories to survive the winter there's no such thing. If you work hard physical labor all day there's no such thing. The idea of junk food only exists when people live a sedentary life in times of plenty so they have to actually pay attention to what they're eating. Most of us are in that position. Which means we have to moderate our indulgences if we wish to avoid becoming hambeasts. Part of what we can learn from tradition is which indulgences might be the most satisfying. Because the indulgences developed for royal courts and haute bourgeois tend to be better choices for the gourmand than whatever the fast food places happen to be shitting out.
>andouille sausage, it literally smells like shit
Wow. Don't get that at all.
>>
>>8583798
By junk food I mean stuff like the afformentioned skyline chilli, I usually define junk food as something that has very little nutritional value apart from carbs, fats and all the shit that makes junk food taste so good, if it's for a celebration and junk food's your thing go for it and if you legitimately need to eat it to survive winter or some shit I'll give it a pass but only just since you'd need more carbs, fats and all that if it's really that cold but if you're doing hard labour junk food won't suffice, I know that from experience, there's nothing worse than feeling sluggish all the time when you have to haul heavy shit around and do heavy work all day because you haven't been feeding yourself right, bigger meals are fine but just eating carbs, fats and all that all the time will destroy you in the long run.

The andouille thing might just be me but it smelled rotten and tasted even worse, I had it when I was in a creperie in San Malo, I saw it on the menu in one of the crepes and I asked what it was so the waitress brought me a piece to try
>>
>>8583798
>>andouille sausage, it literally smells like shit
>Wow. Don't get that at all.

Keep in mind there are many different versions of "andoullie".

You've got the Cajun version which contains pork shoulder and spices. It's also smoked. In fact some of them are even smoked twice--the meat is smoked first before it's even ground, then the finished sausage is smoked again. I can't see how this version would "smell like shit".

OTOH you have the French version. The filling of that one is not meat, but rather offal: tripe and chopped intestines (chitterlings). That version could certainly smell off, especially if it was of questionable quality.
>>
>>8583814
Yeah, I had the french one and apparently it was supposed to be some of the good stuff, I definitely wasn't a fan
>>
>>8581039
OHHHH HOL UP RIGHT THERE
>>
>>8583813
>By junk food I mean stuff like the afformentioned skyline chilli
Even that has a weird cultural backstory - Greek dude working in a chili joint recreated the pasta sauce of his homeland and passed it off as chili. The concept is fundamentally good. The execution - serving it on overcooked spaghetti topped with a mountain of shit quality grated cheese - is where it goes to shit. That exactly illustrates my point about tradition maintaining standards. Greek dude's idea was on point because it came from a long standing tradition. It only turned to shit because it got modified to suit the taste on mid-century Ohio, where there wasn't much in the way of tradition so shitty excess ruled the day. It's the same thing that happened to pizza when it got to the Midwest. The line between junk food and a shitty indulgence can be a fine one, and it has everything to do with whether or not the people whose taste it's targeted to have enough tradition riding behind them to expect something better than a good idea reduced to a blast of fat, salt, carbs and maybe sugar.
>>
>>8583744
Thats bullshit but I believe it.
>>
>>8580512
>But it's not puttanesca anymore.

Right, its puttanesca *with* cheese. Just like chili *with* beans.
>>
>>8583903
>serving it on overcooked spaghetti

I read somewhere that al dente is an American thing and traditional pasta is cooked all the way through. Any truth to that?
>>
>>8580054
>>8580046
or maybe give kids simpler foods because they are still young and developing their tastebuds

dumbasses
>>
>>8580482

>le smallpox blanket meme

Lmao liberal indoctrination has ruined the west
>>
>>8580395
You are right.
>>
>>8585297
Wew
>>
>>8580099
Linguistical analysis spot on
>>
>>8585315
>smallpox blankets distributed to native americans.

As if that didn't happen, you alternative history spewer.
>>
>>8586159
Muh poor savage barbarians dindu nuffin white man was eeeevilllllll

>>8580471
I'll kill you liberal
>>
>>8586159
shh, no need to fight with retarded conservatives and alt right. hard to find a person more conservative than my dad and even he knows this shit happened. it's just general human stupidity. the idea that conservatives are somehow less unhinged than liberals is a meme perpetuated by pol.
>>
>>8585984
Yeah dude. r/linguisticanalysis represent.
>>
>>8586159

The truth is mixed. Germ theory wasn't around back then, so they wouldn't have known how to do it, but there apparently were some letters where the idea of spreading smallpox to indians was floated.
Thread posts: 216
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.