[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting around salt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: salty.jpg (81KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
salty.jpg
81KB, 1024x768px
I like to eat fairly healthy, lots of veg, fish and other lean/plant based protein, low sugar, whole foods, ect. Though one thing I'm having a lot of trouble with is limiting the amount of salt in my diet. It's seems that anything packaged is just loaded with salt and it plays a big part in seasoning food. I'd like to consume less of it, but I'm not sure how to cook solid food without using it or using ingredients with a high sodium content. Do you guys have this problem? Are there alternatives? Or is my only option to suck it up and eat less tasty food?
>>
>>8571491
MSG is your answer friend.
>>
>>8571505
Seems like MSG has a worse rep than salt though. Is that just b.s. pseudo-science like #glutenFree, or is there a legit scientific basis for avoiding MSG (obviously only when using it in reasonable amounts). I'm not educated enough on the health benefits or drawbacks.
>>
>>8571491

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-salt/
>>
>>8571524
It's bullshit. There have been extensive studies that shows MSG has absolutely no more danger to you than regular table salt. Those original conclusions were from injecting obscene amounts of MSG into lab rats.
>>
If you're curious, you can try out potassium chloride (often sold as "Nu Salt" or something similar) to replace some of the table salt in your diet when cooking. KCl tastes a little more bitter and metallic than NaCl but it's actually kind of interesting on some foods. On popcorn for example it has a kind of salt-and-peppery flavor that slightly stings the tongue. Worrying about sodium intake is mostly BS like >>8571528 pointed out, but if you want to try removing some from your diet anyway, KCl is a pretty good stand-in. Potassium is good for you in moderation as well.
>>
>>8571524
Personally it gives me dry mouth for a while.
>>
>>8571524
>Is that just b.s. pseudo-science like #glutenFree
It's that.
>>
Bottom line friend is that you just need to eat in moderation. Cooking your own meals is a good way to practice this. But you can eat salt and not feel guilty in general. I'm a medical student, and what really puts people in my ER getting EKGs is shit like going to McDs and adding a handful of salt packets on fries. At the same time, go ahead and cook a meal or two just for fun, not for a fitness check. My favorite dish uses 9 pieces of bacon per person. I just don't make it often. Limiting intake is fine, just don't over-limit, you know?
>>
File: IMG_7284.jpg (393KB, 1600x918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7284.jpg
393KB, 1600x918px
>>8571491
Experiment with more spices and herbs as your flavor base such as ground garlic/onion powder, turmeric, chipotle powder, cumin, etc and finishing dishes with basil, parsley, or cilantro and lemon/lime zest. Also try out flavoring your dishes with different kinds of vinegar or whole-seed mustards. Focusing on sour and spicy flavors will make you not notice a lack of saltiness.

Don't add salt to the dishes to begin with during cooking and also add them at the table after sampling the final product. Use a coarse kosher salt instead of table salt will also help you cut down.
>>
If your blood pressure checks out fine and you're under 40, don't give yourself a heart attack over your salt intake. It doesn't matter that much.
>>
>>
Just stop and everything will taste better without.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.