[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LEGUMES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: beans.jpg (129KB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
beans.jpg
129KB, 380x285px
What are the best tasting legumes?

I've literally never made beans in my entire life, but I know that kidney beans taste much better than lentils, for example.
>>
Different beans go well with different foods. Eating any bean plain is boring and not recommended. My personal favorite for best flavor by itself is black beans, which I can eat with just salt and enjoy.
>>
>>8567214
yes, but certain beans just taste more "meaty" and satisfying, like kidney beans.

I don't think this has anything to do with what they're cooked with, but the bean itself.
>>
Légumes*
>>
Not OP but can this be a bean thread? I want to replace as much meat in my diet as possible with beans, but the only bean recipe I know is pasulj which uses pork.

What are some easy bean recipes?
>>
>>8567578
Also I know how to make stewed lentils with cumin, carrot, onion, celery
>>
>>8567578
rajma
chole
channa
>>
I like red kidney beans for red beans and rice.
Pinto beans are good for refried beans or burrito filling.
Black beans are good for eating by themselves.
>>
File: 20170211_213525.jpg (843KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
20170211_213525.jpg
843KB, 2240x1344px
>>8567208

Here's my new goto Dollar Store/Wlmart bean recipe:

1lb pinto beans
1 large onion chopped
6 cloves of garlic diced
2 jalapenos chopped, seeds and all
1 32 0z. box of beef broth
1 Tbsp of Mexican Oregano
1 package of smoked pork neck bones (Walmart) - You can also use bacon, sausage, etc. but the neck bones are $1.50 at Walmart.

Soak beans overnight.

Saute onion and garlic and jalapeno until fragrant. Add the cumin and oregano and saute for another minute.

Add the beans, smoked neck bones, and carton of beef broth until the beans are just covered.

Bring to a simmer, lower heat to low, and put a lid on it propped in a way that steam escapes.

Simmer for three hours and remove neck bones and let them cool. Then pull off all the meat (It will be fall off the bone tender), give it a rough chop and put it back in the pot for another 30 minutes.

Take out two cups and puree it in a blender or food processor, and pour it back in to the pot. Stir to thicken, and you're done.

I immediately freeze half of it for later. This pic does not give it justice. This shit is AMAZING!

Cost:

Beans- $1.00
Neck Bones- $1.50
Beef Broth- $2.00
Cumin and Oregano- $1.00 apiece (Buy the cellophane packages, NOT the little bottles.
Onion and jalapeno- $1.00 combined.

So, for around six dollars you'll have a flavorful pot of beans that will easily last you four or five days. Try it, you will not be disappointed!
>>
>>8567208
I am a bean man.

***OFFICIAL BEAN RANKING***
^^^Canned Edition^^^
1. Chickpeas
2. Black Beans
3. White Kidney Beans
4. Navy Beans
6. Red Kidney Beans
7. Lentils
8. Pinto Beans
9. Black Eyed Peas
10. Faba
>>
>>8567208
for baked beans, I've heard sometimes they come frozen even before you put them in the freezer
>>
>>8567646

Wat?
>>
File: 1486079874356.jpg (48KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1486079874356.jpg
48KB, 409x409px
>>8567654
is english not your native language?
>>
>>8567208
Lentils are god tier legumes. The different varieties lend themselves to diverse flavors and textures, and unlike other dried legumes they don't take soaking/hours to cook. You've just gotta cook 'em with other flavors. You use them in things, not as the main thing.

Chickpeas are also great. And if you can find cranberry (roman) beans buy all you can because they've got an amazing texture and flavor.
>>
>>8567659

My grandfather had a tail.
>>
File: sweden.jpg (61KB, 494x551px) Image search: [Google]
sweden.jpg
61KB, 494x551px
>>8567679
coo be
>>
File: bean-boy_o_4877243.jpg (572KB, 1356x3022px) Image search: [Google]
bean-boy_o_4877243.jpg
572KB, 1356x3022px
Stay away from beans.
>>
>>8567208
Green peas are the best hands down.
>>
>>8567208
I like small red kidney beans. Smaller beans tend to hold up better.
I cook this about one a week.
1 lb kidney beans
2-3 tbs lard / bacon fat
1 large onion
2 ribs celery
2 seeded poblano peppers
3 cloves garlic
4-5 cups of stock (depends how much you blend)
1 tbsp tony's

Dice and saute the veggies then throw it all in a slow cooker 4-5 hours. When beans are tender blend about half. Simple as fuck and tastes good.

A lot of bean recipes are mirepoix + stock + beans.
Do that and add spices for flavor you want.
>>
>>8567774
Forgot to say vinegar based sauces are BY FAR the best condiment for beans.
>>
Navy Beans taste the best by far. Kidney beans in second, chickpeas in third, and edamame takes 4th. After this, most are equal.
>>
>>8567208
Lentils have a fantasic texture, are phenomemally versatile, and healthy as fuck.
Chickpeas are great as spreads like hummous
Kidney beans are lovely as they have a bit of depth unlike most pulses.
Remember to buy dry and soak overnight kiddos
>>
File: Joey from The Big Bang Theory.jpg (839KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
Joey from The Big Bang Theory.jpg
839KB, 5000x5000px
>>8568124
>soaking your beans
scum-sucking pleb detected
>>
>>8567208
Young peas eaten straight out of their pods are delicious. I like chickpeas and red lentils too. Always too stressed about possible fart attacks to enjoy beans.
>>
>>8567208
As far as meaty flavor and creamy texture, lima AKA butter beans are my favorite.
>>
>>8567208
chickpeas and white beans are the most versatile. They can go in lots of stuff, become hummus, or be made into some weird desserts.

Lentils are good and cook fast without soaking. I like the tiny ones that happen to be cheaper (why's this?), and the red ones.
>>
>>8569900

lima beans have gross skins though
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.