[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rainy Day Comfort Cooking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 7

File: some of the ingredients.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
some of the ingredients.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /ck, Whatcha cooking today? It was a windy, rainy 41F when I woke up today (live on the coast) so I am doing a pantry comfort food idea and staying indoors.

What are making today? Can you guess what I have in mind?
>>
File: cuban mood is almost finished.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
cuban mood is almost finished.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8519346
Adding the stock, wine, olives, capers and then a simmering step..
>>
>>8519346
Before having some wine with my meal which is simmering, need a little cafecito first...which in my case will be a cortadito. Foaming step incoming (not that whole will get too foamy altogether).
>>
File: cortadito.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
cortadito.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This foam really collapsed when I added the espresso which I expected. Like a Cuban counter, it has ridiculous amounts of sugar in the espresso :P That's my spoiled child on the mug.

The main is simmering, back burners are rice and platanos maduros.
>>
got some limey coconut massaman chicken butts brewing in the oven
>>
File: weather.png (10KB, 211x272px) Image search: [Google]
weather.png
10KB, 211x272px
Baking bread
>>
File: plated.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
plated.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Cuban picadillo, platano maduros, white rice done!

This was inspired by the month of news related to immigration, from the end of wet foot dry foot (boo Obama) to protests going on right now at MIA about immigration.

I don't have a cuban restaurant where I live now, so I *sniff* have to do it myself from time to time when the cravings arise.

Have a beautiful day /ck *nomnom* Felicidades!
>>
>>8519439
Can we see the platanos? I always wondered how you make them but can't get plaintains in the UK
>>
File: platanos maduros.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
platanos maduros.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8519489
>Can we see the platanos? I always wondered how you make them but can't get plaintains in the UK
At the back of my plate are the ones I am eating...

You buy them green and quite hard where you have a hell of time a time to peel them if you want to make chips, tostones, mariquitas....but if you wait for about 6-10 days...and then they go from green to yellow mottled and finally nearly all black (they look rotten, sorry no pics of that). You can carefully peel them at this point, leaving all the flesh intact. Slice them pretty thickly, pan fry until caramelized and softer. Be careful, the sugar content is higher and it has a flashpoint to burn, like I did here on one side...got a phone call while I was working. Usually I drain them on paper towels, but these were so sticky, the oil absorption would have simply been a loss of crust to the paper towel.
>>
>>8519457
Sounds good, two of my favorite flavors, lime and coconut...I must admit I don't know what a chicken butt is? Is that like beer butt chicken? ;)

>>8519469
Yikes that's cold.

I'm packing for a cruise next weekend, so just a laundry day with clothing decisions to make. I have enough picadillo to pack into the freezer for a couple meals down the line when I come back and I'm in the mood again. Plantains freeze beautifully.

>>8519489
>can't get plaintains in the UK
If you do find them down the line, just freeze them after fully cooking :) You can also take the mariquitas if you can buy them in the bag (probably a jamaican knows where to get them), and adorn them cuban style with your own mojo (soften a ton of chopped garlic in olive oil, remove from heat, add lime juice, pour over your chips).
My picadillo I never ever order in a restaurant, because it can be kind of done frugally. I use sirloin, they might use chuck, and then not drain it :o I use a generous amount of the dates (some use raisins), olives and capers, and wine. They might use just a garnish, and skip the parsley and wine for using Sazon Goya completo stock. I don't think it needs MSG from that if you brown it well and go heavy on the mix of sweet, salty and savory.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.