[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is all vegan food shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 2hanscrnstare.jpg (54KB, 422x339px) Image search: [Google]
2hanscrnstare.jpg
54KB, 422x339px
ive done two now. vege bolognese and vege stew. i think ive partly failed but both have tasted very underwhelming. i used vegetable sauce for the stew and literally no taste. being vegan must be suffering.
>>
>>8509365
I'm not a vegan, of course, but there are a number of vegan soups that are flavorful like standard vegetable soup with barley, tomato soup, butternut squash soup, bean soup using vegetable stock instead of a hambone, miso soup with tofu, potato leak soup where instead of adding dairy to thicken puree half of it, chili using only beans anf firm tofu, etc. Many traditional soups and stews can be made quite flavorful without animal products.
>>
>>8509365

if you're not used to getting flavor out of vegetables (i.e. your vegetable cookery experience has heretofore been focused on making "sides") your vegetable cooking abilities probably suck. Or you're using shitty produce.

"Git good" as the kids say.
>>
>>8509365
There are plenty of vegetable based foods that are tasty. But they will never be able to compete with animal fat for unctuousness. Shit like olive oil and avocado can't compete with butter, cheese or pork fat. Just can't be done. You've got to take vegetable based foods on their own merits and not compare them to foods that rely on animal fat for their deliciousness. A vegan bolognese isn't going to be as delicious as the real version because it's a dish that relies on meat and cheese. Don't even try. Stick to dishes that are good in vegan form so you're not comparing them to dishes that rely on animal fat for flavor. A simple tomato sauce flavored with garlic and olive oil and finished with fresh basil is fucking delicious. Do that instead. If you want to eat vegan you have to accept that there is no substitute for the flavor of animal fat and start enjoying dishes that still taste delicious without it. There are plenty of them out there.
>>
>>8509365

Learn2mediterranean food noob
>>
>>8509365
You probably just suck at cooking.
>>
>>8509365
Mango is pretty awesome.
>>
>>8509365
Don't try to make dishes that usually have meat.

Make stuff that's supposed to vegan. Indian food etc.
>>
>>8509816
This. Vegan diet is a departure from the typical Western diet. Don't try to recreate it in vegan form.
>>
File: one-pot-split-pea-curry-1200x750.jpg (130KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
one-pot-split-pea-curry-1200x750.jpg
130KB, 1200x750px
>>8509816
>>8509826
>Google indian vegan recipe

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/one-pot-split-pea-curry/
>>
>>8509365
You can't even eat shit in a vegan diet because it's an animal byproduct.
>>
>>8509904
>You can't even eat shit in a vegan diet
So how am I going to >>8509816 :(
>>
>>8509826
Bitch those Gardein vegan burgers are delicious

So are home made black bean burgers. You don't need to eat like a fuckin hindu to be vegan
>>
>>8509816
this. I was working across the street from a vegan indian food place, gave it a try one day because I like indian food. bretty good, and cheap. started going there every day for lunch until the job was finished
>>
File: I like this post.gif (1MB, 200x254px) Image search: [Google]
I like this post.gif
1MB, 200x254px
>>8509505
most intelligent vegan-related post I've ever seen on here. nicely done
>>
>>8509365
meat is literally flavored with plants

ever try an unseasoned steak?
>>
>>8509365
No, not all vegan food is shit, but there's a lot of shitty vegan cooks who pass around and post shitty recipes.
I'm not vegan, but I'm allergic to dairy, and I can't afford to eat a ton of meat, so I've used vegan and vegetarian recipes before, and it takes some knowledge of cooking to sift through the shitty recipes and the good ones. Luckily, I can usually read a recipe and tell whether it's going to be shit or not, since I'm an experienced cook.
Just some tips - always read a recipe thoroughly, all the way through, and check for discrepancies or things that seem off or wrong. Check the ingredients and think about how they are going to actually work in the recipe. If they have pictures, look at them with a critical eye. Check the seasonings and other flavor additions and think about how it will taste (bland, spicy, etc).

And finally, what this guy said >>8509505. All vegetable dishes will never have the same unctuousness as dishes that contain animal fat. You can get close, using things like coconut oil, avocado, nut butters, beans,etc, but it won't have the same satisfaction. If you choose to eat vegan, you will have to change how you think about food completely to be successful at it. Personally, I don't agree with veganism, but if that's what you want for yourself, go for it.
>>
i don't know i had one of those bananers the other day and i think it was pretty good
>>
>>8509816
>tfw mjadra
>tfw falafel
>tfw stuffed grape leaves
>tfw miso
>>
Nutritional yeast is the secrete to making good non-meat soup stocks for stew and the like.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.