[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't Americans eat this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 11

File: 24857-Lamb-1-week-old.jpg (428KB, 1402x935px) Image search: [Google]
24857-Lamb-1-week-old.jpg
428KB, 1402x935px
>>
I dont im vegan
>>
>>8502690
We do, dummy.
>>
Because it's mostly raised for wool and despite having a reputation as a fancy meat, it's understood to taste terrible

So people choke it down occasionally but otherwise ignore it
>>
I eat the fuck out of lamb. They sell it in the grocery stores, butcher shops, and at fancy restaurants. In big cities you can find lamb at gyro and kebab shops.
>>
>>8502690
We do. But there was a historic "war" between cattle ranchers and sheep herders in America. Cattlemen won, and beef became king in most of the country. Lamb is common, but there are a lot of people who don't eat it.
>>
>>8502690
Just made a fresh batch of lamb broth made from the bones of a poor little lamb.
>>
>>8502718
That sounded like total bullshit but damn it's real

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep_Wars
>>
Same reason the last six times you made this thread: shit's fucking expensive.

$40 for a little roll the size of a Jimmy Dean sausage, fuck off.
>>
>>8502690
Are you stupid? I live in Florida and could walk from my house to two different grocery stores and buy lamb.
>>
>>8502703
>fancy meat
>fancy
>>
File: image.png (268KB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
268KB, 1400x1000px
>>8502690
Ask us more questions Yuropoor
>>
>>8502740
I don't see anything wrong with Nestlé and deep fried pizza
>>
>>8502740
as a burger, why am I supposed to think blood as food is gross?
>>
>>8502740
Why are Americans so afraid of blood?
>>
>>8502740
Tripe soup is delicious.

Romanian do eat pig skin like chewing gum if you want something to laugh at.
>>
>>8502735
It's not cheap though.

Goat from Latino markets may come close to worth it price wise, but I've never tried goat. I assume it's like shitty lamb.
>>
>>8502766
That's not that weird
I love getting a bag of tough cajun pork rinds when I'm on a road trip
>>
>>8502740
>Veal Heart Ragout
that sounds fucking delicious
>>
>>8502729
Real enough there was a Droopy Dog cartoon about it:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4i7ifa_tex-avery-drag-a-long-droopy-1954_shortfilms
>>
>>8502690
fuuuuuuck

How can women compete?
>>
>>8502764
They associate it with being shot.
>>
>americans will never know what this tastes like
>>
File: sorici.jpg (437KB, 1185x720px) Image search: [Google]
sorici.jpg
437KB, 1185x720px
>>8502775
I meant raw.
Does this make it weird enough?
>>
>>8502740
>culinary horror

Yeah, bullshit. I'd love for black pudding/blood sausage to gain popularity here.
>>
>>8502814
They can keep the lutefisk though
>>
>>8502740
A similar thing for Asia seems much more interesting.

Also I've never had lamb that didn't taste spoiled. Is it supposed to be like this?
>>
>>8502787
kek
>>
>>8502740
>haha yuropoors
We can afford lamb though, fatboy
>>
>>8502769
It's more like a cross between lamb and beef and quite lean. Not shitty at all.
>>
>>8502801
I like rare lamb but That's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>8502690
>>8502703
>>8502739
This

And yeah its considered fancy in america because its not eaten that much

Lambs are for clothes

>>8502729
>>8502781
verified proof that we dont eat lamb

HOWEVER

One thing we eat a fuckton of that alot of countries dont is

PORK

and we love our pork very much

> its not an unclean animal after its been chopped up for food
> in fact its safe to eat at a Lower cooking temperature than Beef is
> could practically let it sit out in the fucking sun and it would cook to safety
>>
>>8502870
What do they mean by unclean? Doesn't every animal in a farm wallow in filth?
>>
>>8502870

> mfw people say Pigs are unclean animals

> but many other countries have absolutely no problem serving up Snake, the proverbial emissary of satan if you believe in that sort of thing.

> but I really wish I could try Snake, unfortunately its rare as hell in america
>>
Why do Americans like puke flavoured chocolate?
>>
>>8502881
Some americans, you mean

Some american like puke chocolate because in some parts of america junk food is all that exists. Moreover, in those parts of america, liking junk food is considered a prerequisite for being a good patriotic american. Therefore, if you don't pretend to like puke chocolate you are considered a traitor or even unamerican

This is a historical anachronism though, these days you mostly just see this attitude in the most meth-infested flyover shit holes
>>
>>8502690
Because it's a picture, dumdum.
>>
>>8502881

>>8502891
Pretty much this. Dark chocolate is seen as disgusting by many and as something trendy/fancy for people who are on a diet (Yeah I don't get it either). Also mostly seen by many Midwesterners where they really love their Hersheys.
>>
>>8502740
>culinary horror
>Nestlé

Does that mean something different in Switzerland?
>>
>>8502870
>verified proof that we dont eat lamb
That's regional, though. Lamb can be a tough ask in the South (where it's easier to find goat) or the Midwest. But it's pretty common in the Northeast, both in supermarkets and on restaurant menus.
>PORK
Pork was the main meat of the South for a long time. But industrialized chicken farming has made chicken so cheap that pork has taken a hit to chicken's popularity. Back in the day chicken was more expensive than pork (or even veal), and Americans used to make a dish called "city chicken", substituting pork (or veal) for chicken. Once chicken got cheap everyone just are chicken. Today Americans eat a lot more chicken (and less pork and veal) than they used to.
>>
>>8502876
Come down south and get some rattlesnake.
>>
>>8502910

Also, Deep Fried Pizza is Scotland's? If you haven't heard of haggis, you have no business putting an atlas of culinary horrors together.
>>
>>8502925
Haggis is horrific to think about, but it's actually delicious in the same way scrapple and goetta are.
>>
Living in New Zealand it triggers me that you think it's fancy meat
Even poor fucks here eat lamb often, it's great.
>>
>>8502786
T. Kiwi
>>
>>8502862
spotted the plebe
>>
I do, but lamb is more expensive than beef.

When there's a special the cuts are thin as fuck and mostly bone than lean or even fat.
>>
>>8502937
People only think it's fancy because it's more expensive than beef. It's only more expensive because there aren't very many suppliers. There aren't many suppliers because few people buy lamb. Few people buy lamb because it's more expensive than beef.
>>
>>8502937
You know how it works in mass market situations: anything that isn't standard issue becomes a specialty item, and thus commands a premium price. If you live in a part of the country where lamb is not commonly eaten it's will be expensive to get your hands on so you'll think of it as fancy.
>>
>>8502937
Some of the best lamb I've ever had was imported from NZ

Domestic American lamb is generally gross
>>
>>8502956
A vicious cycle
>>
>>8502932

I have to admit when I visited Scotland, the first thing I did was find a place that served haggis. It's actually way better than scrapple and goetta IMHO. The oatmeal really adds something.

My excuse is that everything on that map that I've had (which is really only ~4 of them) is actually delicious.
>>
>>8502690
Because that's not food, it's a small cloud.
>>
>>8502881
The average American has been trained to think that a good deal means being able to get as much as you possibly can for as cheap as you possibly can. Typically, this results in getting a lot of garbage-tier food/goods for $1-2.
>>
>>8502690
i love lamb and some cuts are pretty cheap where i live, i have it semi-regularly
>>
America was a mistake
>>
ate it with some mexican coworkers
I liked it but I know many would hate it here
>>
>>8503002
>The oatmeal really adds something.
Chances are you would like goetta then. To me this kind of stuff is the height of ingenuity. Anyone can take, say, a nice lamb loin or rib chop, season it and grill it and have the result be absolutely delicious. But taking all the undesirable bits and turning them into something good? That's a real trick. And I'm always happy to try examples of that, and surprised by just how good some of them are. People who think, "Ew, gross" miss out on some really good stuff.
>>
>>8503019
Corollary to this rule is that "all food is the same" because (1) decent food is simply unavailable in the food deserts for any price, and (2) marketers have figured out that there's a demand for better quality, so they repackage the same shit in a fancier box and call it "premium". The flyovers then buy it, it still tastes like shit, and therefore nice things are a scam. This feeling gets ingrained in them through their formative years and by the time they're exposed to something actually nice, they react with anger and fear and start raving about cucked nu-males shoving cultural marxism down their throats
>>
File: 20170124_150559.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170124_150559.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>lamb
>expensive
>>
>>8503039
sorry thought it was goat
Americans do eat lamb
>>
File: monica.png (264KB, 512x530px) Image search: [Google]
monica.png
264KB, 512x530px
>>8503053
>ground lamb
>american ""lamb""
>>
>>8503019
Don't forget that traditionally being a gourmand in America has been viewed with suspicion. It flies in the face of Protestant self-denial. It's seen as wasteful to spend more than you have to on pleasures like food - the vice of a rich man, not a thing for normal people. Paying too much attention to what you eat comes off as effete, nitpicky and even snobbish. While that's changing it's still the case that being particular about the quality of the food you eat stills draws mockery in less cosmopolitan parts of the country. People see it as kind of Fraiser Crane-like - putting on airs to try to seem better than everybody else.
>>
>>8502690
Why not eat full grown sheep instead?
>>
>>8503084
I have a friend who's family reacted to me this way for showing up with ribeyes for everyone.
>"Why not just buy pork steak or sausages?"
Learned my lesson.
Only bring meat in the $2-$3 per pound range to their cook outs or they think you're trying to show off.
>>
>>8502690
Because it tastes like shit. Gut shot and poorly dressed deer tastes better. Next "why don't Americans X" question
>>
>>8503065
You can buy lamb that isn't ground. That dude is just being a pleb
>>
>>8503108
That's it. The dreary Protestant idea that enjoying nice things is showing off. And in many parts of the country it's the reason you can't find anything good to eat. Because these are people who think the Olive Garden and Red Lobster are "fancy". And once people accept the bar being set that low hope is lost. Because they don't think they deserve better. That grim as hell attitude is what's fucked up the cuisine in many parts of the country.
>>
>>8502740
Turkey is not European.
>>
>>8502944
Can't spell pleb
I was just memeing, I'm not really stupid
>>
>>8502740
>Americans
>Rating Lard as culinary horror
Yeah... okay.
>>
>>8503065

Yes, American lamb, as in it was raised in America and not imported. Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>8503324
America is shit especially the people there
>>
Lamb prices are pretty high here in American Super markets like Vons/Safeway.

You need to go to the arab/Indian places for that stuff.
>>
>>8503323
Between The Jungle spooking stupid people, the aggressive marketing behind vegetable oils, shortenings, and researchers claiming that animal fat will blow up your heart over the last 90 or so years, Americans have had lard move from being a kitchen staple to a sickening throwback to the old times when we simply didn't know better.
>>
>>8503337

I'm not American, I don't care what you think of it. Also, no one cares what you dirty europoor muslim cuck faggots think about anything. One thing America did fuck up on is helping beat Germany during ww2. If USA stayed out of it, Europe would still be a white continent, instead of the new Middle East it has become.
>>
>>8503348
Yeah... sure.
Every other food item is lard with you guys. Online. In cooking shows.
Lard this and lard that.
Also what the fuck is wrong with Liver paste? That's literally Foie gras
Only a supreme pleb would list this as culinary horror.
>>
>>8503366
wew lad nice dubs
>>
>>8502690
It's a baby shoop.
>>
>>8503348
There were two competing theories on heart disease: sugar and saturated fat. The government went with saturated fat, partially due to sugar industry lobbying. Also cheap, shelf stable vegetable trans fats had been invented. Crisco saw the opportunity to put lard out of business, even though their product was far less healthy.
>>
>>8502703
Australian here. Lamb is fucking delicious, roast lamb is practically our national dish...
>>
File: 1480018859232.jpg (26KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1480018859232.jpg
26KB, 640x427px
>>8502740
>Duck Blood Soup
>Goose Blood Soup
>Pig Blood Soup
>All adjacent
There's a story here
>>
>>8502801
>>8502862
Same here...I agree this is a bit too rare, but even well done lamb is great
>>
>>8503476
And that story is poverty.
Also vampires.
>>
>>8503485
Raw lamb kibbe is delicious, though.
>>
>>8503065
>>8503337
American lamb is superior to all imported lamb. it's raised on grass and then fatted with grain, thus creating a sweeter meat. All good restaurants here serve domestic lamb and Alton Brown and cooks illustrated both prefer American raised lamb.
>>
File: Longeole.jpg (136KB, 300x318px) Image search: [Google]
Longeole.jpg
136KB, 300x318px
>>8502910
>>8502740
I'm swiss, I think they put up Nestlé because we don't have a lot of local meals (we were poor farmers not long ago). And I can't think of any that would be categorized as horror.

I really don't know. The longeole is a sausage with meat and fennel... It's strange, but it's delicious.
>>
>>8504109
>meat and fennel... It's strange, but it's delicious.

Doesn't seem strange to amerifats. Amerifat Italian Sausage is primarily spiced with fennel.
>>
>>8504338
Oh ok.
But maybe veal sausage would be considered as horror by some. It is very common here, like hot dogs in america.
>>
>>8503501
I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy local anyway.

Do you really want lamb that was put onto a plane, frozen, and shipped across an ocean?
>>
>>8502690
I do sometimes but it's more expensive than most other meat so it's not my usual go-to meat.
>>
>>8502690
I do. It's just not widely available because pork and beef yielded more cash back in the day and it just sorta stayed that way.
>>
>>8502811
Maybe a bit.

I'd still try it though
>>
>>8504368

If sheep from New Zealand had telekinesis and could read minds, and if eating their flesh would grant your their power, yeah.
>>
>>8502740
most of this is delicious
>>
File: lambroundbonechop.jpg (8KB, 395x242px) Image search: [Google]
lambroundbonechop.jpg
8KB, 395x242px
>>8503053
It's most likely just ground shoulder.

You'll end up eating only like 60% of that unless you don't mind eating lamb fat.
>>
>>8502690
i only eat this in a GHAI ROW
>>
>>8502740
What do horse steaks taste like
>>
File: I-Guarantee-It.jpg (19KB, 620x367px) Image search: [Google]
I-Guarantee-It.jpg
19KB, 620x367px
>>8504885
Like glue
>>
because most Americans can't actually cook and end up over massively over cooing it into a garlic bombed, flavorless shoe leather or don't season it at all and just warm it up on the stove so it taste literally blander then boiled chicken.

Lamb is fantastic when you use some gentle spices and herbs and cook it with a nice crust.
>>
>>8504885
Horse taste like the best parts of beef and venison and is just a little musky like boar.
>>8504893
Plebs can fuck off
>>
Lamb is expensive. Also I think it is more of a holiday thing. Like duck or goose.
>>
>>8502920
>Lamb can be a tough ask in the South (where it's easier to find goat)
It's in pretty much every grocery store that I go to.
>>
>>8502729
Dumb phoneposter
>>
>>8504939
What he means to say is its hard to find in the flyover south. Im sure you can find it near any medium sized metro.
>>
>>8502690
the way we americans treat out animals, it would be too tragic to slaughter/torture that many lambs
>>
>>8504955
I've got some bad news for you about the negative externalities of the dairy industry.
>>
>>8504956
>negative externalities

found the commie
>>
>>8505035
Capitalism is about maximization for profit, you can't maximize if your being wasteful and fucking everything up you stupid piece of garbage.

If you drink milk, you should have no qualms about eating veal unless you're the marxist faggot here.
>>
>>8505041
>veal is a negative externality

u wot
>>
>>8505054
No, but not eating it in a country with as insane of a dairy industry creates waste, which is always a negative externality for someone
>>
>>8505059
What waste?
>>
>>8502739
It's more expensive than other types of meat, so yes, "fancy."

It is eaten here, a lot of people eat lamb chops and lamb is found in slightly nicer restaurants, but it's just less common because it's expensive. I've never heard of too many people disliking though.
>>
>>8502740
>maggot cheese
>rotten sharks

for what purpose
>>
>>8502874
>>8502870
Ask anyone that's every worked around pigs. Pigs will eat L I T E R A L L Y anything including their own shit, other dead animals etc. Chickens are pretty much the same. Cows are the only thing that seem to care what they eat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIRivu64ijE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86KFojFZ7WI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qkERfvfx-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmN-yY-C1T8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7CV0NOwpOk
>>
>>8505079
>that first link
Just the thumbnail makes me gag after watching.
>>
>>8502910
As in they are being the culinary horror that is the company Nestle. Fucking embarassing
>>
>>8502740
Black pudding is fucking delicious, white is better though.
t. Potatonigger
>>
>>8504920
>Americans can't actually cook and end up over massively over cooing it
If you look at American cookbooks from a generation or two ago they recommend cooking both lamb and pork very well done. My uncles preferred all their meat cooked that way, and as kids my siblings and I had to cajole mom into cooking the meat more on the rare side. Especially when it came to lamb.
>>8505071
>I've never heard of too many people disliking though.
I know some folks who find the flavor of the meat too strong, like a few posters itt seem to. Also I know a few women who won't eat it in principle because the idea of eating a baby animal doesn't sit well with them. Yet they have no problem eating chicken. Go figure.
>>8505079
That's the magic of pigs - they turn farm waste (including shit) into delicious meat. Think about what a great creature that is to have on a farm.
>>8505767
This. Blood sausage in general is good, but white pudding is fucking amazing.
>>
But we do? Who the fuck said we don't?

I made ground lamb and beans last night and my fiance and I make a whole leg at least once a month.
>>
Expensive. Uninteresting taste.

I'm trying to find a place that serves mutton. Meat not from a lamb, but from an old, stinky ram. It's... interesting. An acquired taste, somewhat it's with aged cheese, and I happen to like it, although I wouldn't recommend it if that kind of stuff is not your thing, But finding actual mutton, as opposed to (nearly scentless) lamb is hard.
>>
>>8505954
You should try this then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnekj%C3%B8tt
Pretty good.
>>
>>8505965
>This dish is largely associated with the celebration of Christmas, served with puréed swede
>served with puréed swede

Norwegians are hardcore
>>
>>8505954
>Meat not from a lamb, but from an old, stinky ram.
Come to NYC and hit a Dominican or Jamaican joint. For years the meat sold to most of these places as goat has been mutton. A generation of Dominicans has grown up here thinking mutton is goat. But it works really well in a sofrito or curry based stew. And it isn't that hard to find a place that will sell you a pretty generous serving with beans and rice for $10 or less.
>>
>>8505981
It is a christmas dish after all.
>>
>>8503053
I see that you are a patron of Ralph's / Kroger. My black brother. How do these guys stay in business? They even beat Asian grocers' pricing with a lot of their stuff.
>>
>>8505954
Mostly to get the most out of mutton it really needs to have 2-3 weeks aging time, plus it loses a lot of its weight and that tends to make people shy away from it with cost as well.
I raise both sheep and beef cattle, there is a niche beginning to develop now (Australia) for mutton but its not a large one and mostly restaurateurs are the only ones interested in it, vast majority of of the buyers generally only want prime lamb. Mutton actually had a bad name in Australia for many years due to some dubious quality meat around the WW2 era passed off as mutton.

Generally when one of my ewes has past her prime or around the 8-10 year mark, I'll butcher her and age it. That sort of opens up a whole heap of things you can do with it as when its fresh it does tend to only really lend itself to stews, slow cooking and a really slow roast.
>>
>>8503501
Yeah but you would say that. I bet American sheep get fed HFCS.
>>
>>8505767
>white pudding

I agree. It's the first food I look for when visiting Ireland.
>>
>>8502740
Goddammit now i want black pudding
>>
>>8502740
Wait, I assume salted pork fat is cvarci, how is that not a thing elsewhere, shit's a delicious snack. Also I've never eaten or heard of tripe soup before, but cvarci fuck yeah

t. Balkannigger
Thread posts: 131
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.