[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else have problems with cooking chicken breasts in a stainless

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: stainless.jpg (270KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
stainless.jpg
270KB, 2000x2000px
Anyone else have problems with cooking chicken breasts in a stainless pan? It's literally the only piece of meat I've had problems with in a stainless pan. Don't get me wrong, It doesn't stick so bad I tear it to shreds, but it does usually tear a bit if I'm not really careful. Is it because there's not as much fat as there is in a steak/pork chop/roast? I can even brown chicken thighs without it being a problem usually. Perhaps it's just a coincidence and I'm not letting the breasts be out of the fridge long enough every time I've cooked them?
>>
1. Preheat, enough oil so you can see it shimmer (not just a thin glaze wiped on with a paper towel)
2. It will stick, then it will release. Keep the heat on, and let it go for at least a minute or two (beyond that it's at your discretion)

The temperature of the meat is not the issue here
>>
>>8501989
I do this already. it's a tramontina pan so I know it's not just a shitty pan. not the best you can get but it seems to work for everything else. I guess I'll just have to fuck around and see what's causing it. I'll add a little more oil than I usually do I s'pose. or maybe let it preheat longer.
>>
>>8501984
If you're not making a pan sauce, why are you using a stainless pan? You would use a philips on a flathead screw would you? Different tools for different jobs anon.
>>
>>8502002
*wouldnt
Engrish is hald
>>
>>8501998
You try the water drop thing? You have to do it before you add the oil but it's a good way to get a sense of how hot is hot enough. When the water forms a perfect hovering sphere and doesn't fizz or spray, it's time. Add your oil, tilt the pan to coat everything, and then put on your meat.

Also, you're using real chicken, right? Like, air-chilled, decent stuff? Not that chemically tenderized garbage?
>>
>>8502002
What are you on about my dude? Who mentioned anything about a pan sauce? That has no bearing on the fact that turning my breasts the first time is difficult as I have to be careful not to tear it apart.

>>8502007
Yeah I mean I generally have a good idea of hot hot the pan is just by holding my hand over it/how long I've had the burner on. Honestly I'm probably just not adding enough oil. It's doesn't help that my oven isn't level and after a couple minutes the oil pools on one side of the pan, but like I said it's usually never a problem with any other type of meat, which is weird.

And yeah I just buy chicken breasts from the meat counter at my store, they're fine. Not pre-marinaded or anything weird like that. I usually wash them off, dry them thoroughly, and pound them so they'll evenly. I'm not a clueless cook, so I thought maybe it was something specific to that cut of chicken. But yeah, like I said I guess I'm just not adding enough oil.
>>
>>8502014
It's probably one of those cast iron spergs who spends 11 hours a week autistically re-seasoning his pan so that it does almost a good a job as teflon, and he's fishing for an excuse to lecture you about his shitty preferences in cookware
>>
>>8502014
He's saying that it's a useless waste of effort to cook a chicken breast in a nice stainless pan unless you're going to make a pan sauce, which would be better suited to a stainless pan since you WANT shit to stick to the bottom so you can deglaze it for the sauce.

If you're literally just cooking/searing the chicken just use a nonstick.
>>
>>8502023
That's fair enough but since when does your chicken need to stick to the pan and tear for a fond to form on the bottom of the pan?

PS I make pan sauces somewhat regularly.
>>
>>8502029
You obviously don't want it to stick so bad that you destroy the meat but if nothing at all stick to the pan you'll have nothing to make your sauce with .
>>
>>8502014
Um, do you not know anything about cooking? One uses a stainless pan precisely to build a fond and from that make a sauce. If all you wish to do is brown your meat, one uses a nonstick pan. This isn't rocket surgery.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170124_092727.png (241KB, 605x564px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170124_092727.png
241KB, 605x564px
>>8502007
>You try the water drop thing?

if you don't have one of these in your kitchen, you're doing it all wrong
>>
>>8502039
Bout right, except don't forget that cast iron can be used universally, just not as easy.
>>8502100
Agreed on this, costs pennies and aids in all sorts of ways.
But consider using skin on breasts and consider the way oil molecules act at different heats and why meat will stick to your pan ey.
>>
>>8502100

I'm thinking of getting one, but I cook on induction, so it's not necessary since I have a good measure of how hot it is and from experience know what temp to use. But I'd like to confirm what the top reading claims.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.