[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/whiskey/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 2017-01-20 18.24.52.jpg (628KB, 699x1243px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-20 18.24.52.jpg
628KB, 699x1243px
Any good finds lately? Landed this gem today.
>>
>>8490006
I picked up a bottle of Balvenie 21 year old Portwood Cask Strength, non-chill filtered edition.

The duty free shop had not updated prices for a while I could tell so I got a great deal.
>>
File: ss+(2017-01-21+at+05.16.14).jpg (42KB, 277x696px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-01-21+at+05.16.14).jpg
42KB, 277x696px
I bought a bottle of Penderyn Peated Edition a few months ago after an anon recommended it, and wasn't a fan of it at the time. Right after being opened it had a really "green" taste, like bitter green apple and pear. After a few months it seems to have transformed. It's still got that apple-like taste, but it's got some tartness with the bitterness and it's become something really quite enjoyable.

tl;dr, didn't see the appeal at first and was disappointed, let it sit in the bottle for a few months after opening and gained appreciation

>>8490006
>>8490018
I really like the Doublewood 12. It tastes like a dessert in whisky form. Those two sound very appealing.
>>
Tried my first rye whiskey today. Some cheapo James e. Pepper shit. Actually wasn't too bad. Almost as smooth as scotch and not as harsh as high corn bourbons
>>
>>8490910
I've had Bulleit Rye, which is LDI blending product bottled for suckers who don't know better, and Rittenhouse, which was pretty decent stuff.

I like the peppery flavour, but couldn't use it as a go-to drink.
>>
My go-to is Glenfiddich 12 Year Old. Cheap and good.
>>
>>8490006
I BOUGHT JIM BEAM BLACK FOR 16$ US.
>>
File: Aberlour.jpg (931KB, 2220x2250px) Image search: [Google]
Aberlour.jpg
931KB, 2220x2250px
Picked pic related up last week.
First time I poured a glass it didn't impress me, luckily the second seemed to be much better.
>>
>>8491076
Haha, I didn't know that. Bulleit rye is rated pretty highly typically, is it not?
>>
>>8490006
double wood is really nice..............need to try the caribbean cask soon
>>
>>8490006
>general
>>
>>8491646
The carribbean cask isnt worth it imo. It has some really nice vanilla in it, but thats about it. The doublewood 12 is just all-around nicer and its $20 cheaper.
>>
>>8491378
That shit needs a ton of water but when you add the right amount it pops.
>>
>>8491646
>>8491853

I had the rum cask one at a tasting. It was honestly kind of bad.
>>
Ardbeg 10 has been really good this last year or so. I feel like the newer bottles are a bit less on the bitter chocolate side and more rich in a way that tastes like they're using good wood. Those things aren't mutually exclusive of course but you get the point. The quality is good right now.

On another hand, I recently got a bottle of Bowmore 10 as it's the only Islay I've yet to have. Worst bottle of single malt I think I've ever bought. Caramely and kind of peaty but thin tasting with not much complexity at all. Don't buy.

Tomatin used to suck but I've noticed some bottlings of theirs that have much better quality but are still cheap because people don't care much about it. They have a 12 year old port finished and a basic 12 year old (with a green-themed and slightly over-designed bottle) that are both pretty good and I've been finding them for really cheap.
>>
File: brbon_can1.jpg (74KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
brbon_can1.jpg
74KB, 540x720px
I got my second bottle of this Canadian Club yesterday.

It's nothing special, I just find it really tasty.
>>
>>8490006
That looks delicious. Liquor is quite expensive here in TN, so I usually stick to Dewar's.
>>
>>8491138
Any of the 12 year Glens are at least $45 for 750ml here. Stupid sin taxes.
>>
>>8491627
It is. But like I say, suckers who don't know better. It's definitely rye, but it's got no balance at all. Being 95% rye in the mash bill sounds impressive, but it leaves no room for any depth to the flavor, and the reason for it being so high in rye is because it stems from a product used to add rye flavor to other spirits.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.