[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Caphalon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: caphalon.png (124KB, 600x429px) Image search: [Google]
caphalon.png
124KB, 600x429px
What's the /ck/onsensus on Caphalon for cookware?

I've gotten a couple Caphalon nonstick pots and pans from my mom over the years, either as hand-me-down or as a gift. They seem to hold up and the non-stick works great, but one of them has seen too much metal cookware, hard scrubbing and dishwasher abuse (it was already starting to wear by the time I got it and I didn't realize they were handwash only at first), and it needs to be replaced. Wondering if I should replace it with the same thing or upgrade to something better. The ones I have are the aluminum Classic nonstick line, and look like pic related.

>inb4 people rant about how "true" chefs would never use nonstick, or how your solid copper pans are autisticly superior to anything that Williams Sonoma would ever sell
>>
Calphalon has a good reputation for a reason.

>"true" chefs would never use nonstick
nothing to that extent, but why the fuck would anybody need more than a nonstick egg/pancake pan?
regularly I see cookware sets where you have multiple pans, saucepans, small worthless "stock pots" with all of it nonstick. fucking WHY
>>
>>8481391
Why not?
>>
>>8481395
Because all nonstick will eventually degrade regardless of quality. High quality stainless or cast iron will last a lifetime.
And what's the point of limiting yourself with nonstick saucepans you can't use a regular whisk in, or pans that you can't use tongs in? Or pans that can't go into an oven? You have to baby nonstick pans and it's severely limiting.
>>
>>8481391
I wrote out a long reply to OP but browser issues fucked me over.
I will say that non-stick stock pots are good for tomato based sauced (as opposed to aluminum -unlined pots).
Also,
>>8481401
>High quality stainless ... will last a lifetime.
but they're expensive.
I do have an All-Clad sauce pan that I use religiously, 3-ply. $80 open box on Amazon.

>inb4 people rant about how "true" chefs would never use nonstick
Every place I've cooked breakfast at has had a set of egg pans that were non-stick. They were treated like religious artifacts, stored inbetween bar towels after service.
>>
>>8481419
>Why should I pay EIGHTY dollars for a PAN?!
>continues buying $20 nonstick pans every couple years for the rest of their life
poorfag mentality, everybody
next you'll tell me that eating fast food is cheaper than cooking because you could take all that time you'd spend cooking and get a second job instead
>>
File: 1484612952899.jpg (127KB, 1040x759px) Image search: [Google]
1484612952899.jpg
127KB, 1040x759px
>>8481450
>why should I replace my toothbrush every few years when I could just keep shoving the same frayed bristles into my mouth until my teeth rot out of my head?
>>
>>8481459
>implying there's a toothbrush you can buy that will last your entire life
stupid animeposters, as usual
>>
>>8481450
>Why should I pay EIGHTY dollars for a PAN?!
Was never implied.
Also, a $20 non-stick should last 5 years even if you're being rough with it.
>>
>>8481459
>every few years
any sensible human replaces a toothbrush every 6 months.

>inb4 b-but muh money
if anyone complains about spending literally a dollar on a toothbrush twice a year I will snap.
>>
>Real chefs don't use non-stick

Fuck knows where you get this from pleb. At the kitchen i work in we use non-stick all the time for cooking eggs or frying fish. There's nothing better for the job, and yes we do use seasoned pans, but only for high temp frying and browning (Steak etc..)

Most sauce pans are plain aluminium. Some for tomato based sauces are stainless steel.

Cast iron takes far too long to heat up to bother with.
>>
>>8481459
Note the key term there - frayed. Cast iron and stainless steel LAST a lifetime. They don't wear out like a fucking toothbrush.
>>
>>8482094
What's your view on carbon steel?
>>
>>8481349
I wish someone could explain to me how omelettes and eggs were cooked perfectly, and they were, before the invention of "non-stick." If they could do it, why do we have to rely on a chemically leaching, short life disposable product?

This really seems like a 20th century marketing schtick that encourages wasteful laziness in the kitchen.
>>
>>8482127
a lot of butter
basically nonstick is to help with cleaning and to make it so you don't need as much or any added oils or fats.
>>
>>8481349
Don't bother with expensive nonstick. Get a couple of cheap nonstick pans in different sizes for things like eggs or other delicate foods and just accept that you'll need to replace them every few years even if you take good care of them. Use stainless or cast iron for most of the rest of your cooking.
>>
>>8482127
Carbon steel. Tradtional french omelet pans are still made with carbon steel.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.