[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plateware General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: wood-bowl-home.jpg (34KB, 534x330px) Image search: [Google]
wood-bowl-home.jpg
34KB, 534x330px
Something not too often talked about here but should warrant at least a little conversation. Be it fine china or otherwise aesthetic plateware, post what you have, what you're looking for, or just some shit you think looks really nice or awesome.

I'm looking to get my hands on some good wooden bowls that can handle liquids. Taking recommendations or personal experience.
>>
Corelle for life desu.

Whats the advantage of wooden bowls?
>>
>>8477475

Purely aesthetic in my case. Perhaps a little natural tactile feel which I find nice too. I'm partial to rustic living in general and they give a sense of rugged living.
>>
I don't own any wooden bowls but I fucking love them. handmade ceramics too.

for every day though, I am more into corelle and BIA.
>>
i eat out of pyrex bowls. they are the only bowls i have besides my salad bowls.
>>
>>8477784
looks depressing desu
>>
File: 1451104996648.jpg (824KB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
1451104996648.jpg
824KB, 3264x1840px
>>8478480
>looks depressing desu

a lot of things in my life do
>>
>>8477470
I just pick up stoneware from the local thrift store. Cheap as fuck, works like a dream, and basically doesn't break unless you're a dumbass.
>>
>>8477470
My brother is currently carving a wooden bowl. I gave him some tips.

>always hand wash wooden utensils and plateware
>treat with a mineral oil solution every couple of weeks if the wood is raw
>don't be a faggot
>>
>>8477784
They don't nest though which sucks.
>>
>>8478802
true. but due to the top of each bowl being slightly wider than the bottom, they stack decently. i just store the lids separately.
>>
Is pewter any good?
>>
>>8478809

It's certainly not practical.

It tarnishes. It's soft and easily scratched/dinged. And a lot of it contains lead creating an obvious safety concern.
>>
>>8478809
Pewter is really great for winecups, as far as other tableware goes its sub-par. I've never heard of it being being contaminated with lead, but I do live in a country with better health&safety standarts
>>8477470
Wood is nice for most things like soups or stews. Don't ever put it in a dishwasher, though and you have to oil it from time to time. Olive is great, looks nice, but its expensive. When buying watch out if the coating (if its coated) is food-save, that is a biggie!
>>
I got bowls made out of bamboo on a kickstarter that delivered a fucking year late. The worst part is i really like them and would probably buy more of them.
>>
>>8478809
enjoy your lead poisoning
>>
>>8477470
I have a teakwood salad bowl that's awesome, I love it. And I have a few wooden snack/appetizer bowls, but I don't use them too often. Those, along with the matching teak salad tongs, and my carbon steel knives, wooden cutting boards and bbq boards, plus my kitchen table and other wood furniture....makes me feel like half the time all I do is oil things. (Obviously, I use different oils - food grade oil for the kitchen stuff, lemon oil for the furniture, but still....I'm always fucking oiling something.) Not to go on a rant, but the other half of the time I feel like I'm constantly hand washing shit, since nearly all my pots and pans are hand wash only. Pretty much the only things I put in the dishwasher are my everyday dishes, my everyday glasses, my everyday flatware, and my mixing bowls. And god forbid we use the good stuff......
>>
As a luthier I should warn you both of natural poisons in South American hard woods as well as the oils used to make them 'salad' safe. Look up every composite in your bowl before you eat from it and make sure you use a food safe mineral oil to treat it. I think natural tung oils are food safe, but check.
>>
>>8479944
>I've never heard of it being being contaminated with lead,

It's not "contamination", it's that lead was literally part of the alloy of metals used to make pewter for hundreds of years. It was put in there on purpose to make it easier to work.

It's only relatively recently that we've learned about the toxic effects of lead so theoretically modern pewter tableware should be lead free and safe. But antique pewter is a different story.
>>
>>8478485
I'm feeling really sorry for my son right now. This is what his birthdays usually look like, except we tend to go overboard with buying him lunch and a fancy dinner out (at a fine dining place of his choice) and extra gifts to make up for the lack of family and friends on his birthdays. Sigh.....life is bizarre.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.