[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

weight of bones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Is there a rule of thumb for how much bones weigh in chicken thighs or leg quarters? Let's say I want to eat 1lb of chicken meat per day. Should I buy 2lb of chicken thighs with bones because half the weight is bones? Or should I buy 1.5lb? I'm using a scale to weigh my food and I don't want to buy more than I'm going to use.
>>
>>8474073
Forgot to mention, I will NOT be using the bones for stock. But boneless thighs cost way more than bone-in thighs
>>
>>8474075
Then get them when they're on special your retarded fuck. Alternatively do it yourself by removing some bones weighing them in comparison and extrapolating from that.
>>
>>8474077
>Alternatively do it yourself by removing some bones weighing them in comparison and extrapolating from that

That's the point of asking. I know people on /ck/ have probably done this already. Especially because they are autistic about making chicken stock from bones
>>
I took a course in "meat science" back in high school, no joke. I can help.

You're describing edible portion weight (EPW) or lean edible portion weight (EPW without the separable skin or fat).

For thighs, IINM, the EPW is 64% and the LEPW is 47%. This means that a 1kg of whole thighs can be expected to yield 640g of edible meat, skin and fat, 360g of bones and cartilage and 470g of lean meat. That implies the skin and fat together would be about 170g, so I'm gonna guess that boning and skinning 1kg of thighs but not trimming the excess fat will yield about 725g. Ergo, if intact thighs cost, say, 79¢/lb (or $1.74/kg), boneless ones should cost $1.09/lb (or $2.40/kg plus the cost of labour and the service mark-up, which together are likely around 37¢/lb (or 82¢/kg).
>>
>>8474404
cool, that was just what I was looking for
>>
>>8474075
>>8474083
what do you have against stock?
>>
>>8474404
Interesting.
The labor markup for thighs is pretty high, since the boneless/skinless price jumps up to $2.99/pound with the bone in/skin on thighs go for just $0.99.
That said, I'm getting ripped off but I still pay the premium because I have a disposal problem. My cat and dog are both niggers who steal from the trash, and if I put the garbage in the garage the nigger coons and possums will steal it. I dont mind throwing a couple bucks to the butcher who eliminates this problem for me.
>>
>>8474991
I'm just tired of hearing about stock every time I say I'm tossing out the bones. I made stock once and it took me 6+ months to go through it and I just don't see the use in my daily cooking
>>
>>8475033
Think of it like a supply/demand thing. So many lazy-ass cooks.

>>8475087
>not using stock regularly
What the fuck do you do, just roast everything?
>>
>>8475033
In some parts of the US south that are strapped for cash and, therefore, only have trash collection once every two weeks (rather than once per week as in most other places in the states), many people have taken to putting food scraps into a bucket in the freezer and top it off with just a little water to freeze it solid. Then, come trash day's eve, they empty the bucket into the garbage can. Since it's frozen, it won't give off much of a smell so it doesn't attract nocturnal wildlife.
Buy bone-in thighs, debone them yourself and do it that way if you don't want them to make stock. Also, the skin and fat can be used, too. Render it for cooking grease (basically chicken lard; great for making chicken pot pie crusts or chicken gravy) and eat the crisped skin as you would pork rinds.
>>
>>8474404
thanks autist, you proved OP's point
>>
>>8475096
>What the fuck do you do, just roast everything?

Basically yea. I'll buy a few cups of stock for $1.00 for the few times I need it.
>>
- Calculate total weight of raw, bone-in chicken PART as A
- Cook and consume. Save bones.
- Calculate total weight of bones as B.
- A minus B = total weight of raw, chicken without bones == C
- (C / A) ~= proportion of edible chicken == D
- (C / A) * weight of raw, bone-in chicken PART.

Repeat for other chicken parts, or could alternatively determine total weight of bones after raw butcher.
>>
>>8475103
>if you pay attention in class, you're autistic!!!
>>
>>8475103
I'm the OP, I'm glad the autist pulled through for me
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.