[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you making your own yogurt?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: yogurt.jpg (102KB, 886x477px) Image search: [Google]
yogurt.jpg
102KB, 886x477px
Plain yogurt with live cultures is not only nutritious, but it helps keep your digestive tract straight and allows you to better process the foods you eat.

It's easy as hell to do, and less expensive than buying yogurt alone.

...........Ingredients needed...........

Milk
Yogurt with live cultures

It doesn't matter what kind of milk you use, though milk with fat is always going to be more rich and flavorful.

You can use any plain yogurt, as long as it still has the active cultures. Look for it on the label, and if it says "live cultures" or "active cultures" then that's the one you want. Don't use any flavored yogurts, as the results aren't as good.

Let's get started.
>>
File: boiling the milk.jpg (222KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
boiling the milk.jpg
222KB, 1200x900px
>>8471687

1. The first thing we want to do is heat the milk to at least 185 degrees to kill any funky shit that might be in it that could fuck up our yogurt. I use two stock pots and boil water in one then put the stock pot with the milk in it in the boiling water to prevent burning.

Regardless, do what you need to do to heat your milk.

When my water starts to boil, then I know my milk is hot enough, and while you don't want to boil your milk, it's fine if it happens accidentally.

A thermometer comes in handy here. 185 F is what your goal is, and then you can take it off the heat.
>>
File: Cool it down.jpg (855KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Cool it down.jpg
855KB, 3008x2000px
>>8471718

2. Now that the milk's been heated, we need to cool it down to add our yogurt. Too hot, and the cultures die. Too cold, and they're not as active.

110 F is our target.

To speed up the process, put the hot milk in a cold water bath and change it out a few times until you reach your temp.

110 F is just hot enough that you can keep your finger in it for about 10 seconds before you want to pull it out. Of course, it's best to use a thermometer.

Next, we add the yogurt.
>>
File: time to add the yogurt.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
time to add the yogurt.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>8471745

3. Once we get close to 110 F, it's time to add our yogurt starter. I usually toss in about half a quart of store bought yogurt, as I've had better results using more than less. However, I've had success using only a cup as well.

You can use yogurt right out of the fridge, but you'll be able to maintain a higher temp if you allow it to come up to room temp before you toss it in. All you have to do is add it, and give it a good stir.

Then it's time to insulate it and let it ferment.
>>
File: using a cooler.jpg (176KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
using a cooler.jpg
176KB, 600x450px
>>8471783

4. Now that the starter has been added to the milk, it's time to put it some place where it can stay warm and allow the cultures to do their thing.

I put the lid on the stock pot, and toss it in a cardboard box that has Styrofoam on the bottom for insulation, then I wrap it up and cover it with blankets. I'll let it sit for 24 hours, as this has provided me with great results, but it CAN go longer without having to worry about spoiling. I usually start this process in the evening, so it stays wrapped up over night, and throughout the next day, then I check on it the next evening and it's good to go.

Pic related: Those folks are using a cooler and blankets to keep their shit warm.
>>
File: Done.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Done.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>8471820

5. After 24 hours, it's time to check on the yogurt. You can tell when the cultures did their job just by picking up the stock pot, as the contents will have a solid and congealed feel to it rather than the liquid feeling it had when it was milk.

From here you can either toss the entire pot in the fridge, or jar it first, then fridge it. I just put the entire pot in the fridge and let it cool for 24 hours, then I toss it into quart sized mason jars. After it cools down, you're ready to go.

IF you want a thick yogurt, like Greek yogurt, you can wrap it up in a cheese cloth and hang it over the sink to allow the whey to escape and thicken up the texture.

I eat this stuff for breakfast pretty much every morning with fruit and nuts. I also use it to make tzatziki, and as a sub for buttermilk when a recipe calls for it.

As long as you save some, you can add the yogurt you make to another gallon of milk to make more when you get low.
>>
>>8471718
Informative food production post for the homecook. Thank you. I shall try this.
>>
Because I've done it and the result isn't consistent enough for my needs. Yes, it does matter what kind of milk you use. Shit tier milk ---> Shit tier yogurt. Plus, the consistency is not right unless the temperature control is absolutely spot-on every time. And if I'm going to be buying milk that costs $4 a quart, I might as well just buy yogurt that costs $5 a quart and comes from the farm 100% perfect every time, yes?

So, that's why I don't make my own yogurt. I'm aware that it can be done. And, like beer, wine, and other stuff I could theoretically make at home, but won't, I'll continue being a buyfag. There are some food things that you can't realistically buy better from a store, and simply must be made at home... yogurt is not one of them.
>>
>>8471865
Looks like cum jars.
>>
File: nn.jpg (8KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
nn.jpg
8KB, 125x125px
>>8471920
>buying milk that costs $4 a quart
>>
>>8471783

what is an old person doing on a fascist vaporwave forum
>>
>>8471687
>>Milk
>Yogurt with live cultures
huh? but then how did they make that yogurt? with more yogurt? what was the first yogurt made of?
>>
>>8471718
>to kill any funky shit that
but the milk you buy is already pasteurized right?
>>
>>8472088
Should be, yes.

As I understand it, the process kills most of the funky shit, but not all of them, and by keeping it cold, you reduce their ability to multiply.

Re-heating it is just another precaution.
>>
temp control is what is making me not try this. how the fuck do you get consistant decent result doing this? I rather buy something that keeps the temp steady (if it's not expensive) or just buy it in stores.
>>
>>8472115
>how the fuck do you get consistant decent result doing this?

Time.

The cultures are active throughout a temperature range that's wide enough to allow them to do their thing over a 24 hour period while the pot is wrapped up.

Some batches are thinner than others, but I don't mind the minor variations from one batch to the next.
>>
Too labor and time intensive, I could be cooking things I actually enjoy instead of being a hippy like OP.
>>
>>8472159
it sounds like a lot of hassle just for yogurt that will be mediocre at best, plus, I don't have spare blankets lol
>>
>>8471687

My pressure cooker has a yogurt setting that I've been meaning to play with. Anyone have experience with incubating yogurt in something similar?
>>
>>8471687
I'll definitely try this, OP. Have you experimented with different brands of yogurts to "seed" your home made batches? And if so, had you observed any differences?

I'm interested in this to try and remove the preservatives and what not that I take in with store bought goods, Much respect.
>>
>>8472205
I've done it in a hot car in summer.
>>
File: 00742365132155_full.jpg (28KB, 215x273px) Image search: [Google]
00742365132155_full.jpg
28KB, 215x273px
>>8472215

I've used a few different types but stick with pic related simply because it's cheaper.

The best results came from using a Greek yogurt, as the end result was much thicker than the Horizon yogurt, which can be fairly thin.

Just remember that you can always strain the whey to make it thicker if that's your preference.
>>
>>8472263
Thanks, yo.
>>
>>8471993
Some of us don't find CAFO milk appealing
>>
I did homemade yogourt multiple times. It is... okay, store bought yogourt is better.
>>
>>8472088

Boiling is a step up from pasteurization, it's close to sterilized at that point.

If you are desperate to increase your odds of experiencing an agonizing death as all your organs are turned to mush you can also do raw milk yoghurt without boiling. There are people who do so, they will tell you it's healthy ...
>>
>how to make yogurt
>ingredients: ... yogurt
>>
>>8472434
Use a half cup of yogourt to get something like a litre.
>>
BASED
>>
>>8472368
Not the one you're answering to, but I always did yogourt with no boiling - I'd just remove a half cup of milk from the carton and replace it with 1/2 cup of yogourt. As long as the culture is alive, they'll win competition against any possible bacteria or mould in the milk.

And plus, if shit goes bad, you'll notice it. Seriously.
>>
>>8472434
>download cracked winrar
>it's a rar file
this actually happened to me once
>>
>>8471687
because its a commitment. I you want you've got to keep the culture alive. It's the same reason I buy sourdough instead of making it. Because I don't want to feed the dough every day just to have sourdough once a month or two.
>>
>>8472592

It's not so bad with pasteurized milk, but with raw milk it's asking for trouble. The culture winning against Shiga toxin producing bacteria in the end could be too late.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.