[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Salted or unsalted?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1765.jpg (22KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1765.jpg
22KB, 700x466px
Salted or unsalted?
>>
File: Peppered-Butter-Steak_0015.jpg (53KB, 724x483px) Image search: [Google]
Peppered-Butter-Steak_0015.jpg
53KB, 724x483px
>>8462476
Peppered...
>>
They have different uses.

But I always buy unsalted, because adding salt is easier than taking it out.
>>
Deep fried

...just kidding. Fucking disgusting.
>>
>>8462529
>deep fried butter

What are you on about? That's a staple carnival food in the south. Both blacks and white trash gobble that shit up.
>>
>>8462476
Lurpak slightly salted
>>
salted for putting on food, unsalted for cooking with
>>
>>8462637
This.
>>
Unsalted butter is literally a meme. You could almost always substitute salted butter and no one would be able to tell the difference, except for cases where the proportion of butter is very large, like in pie dough. Even if the dish you're making is 10% butter by weight and you're using butter with 1.5% salt (a fairly typical amount), the amount of added salt from the butter will be 0.15% of the mass of the food. Most non-sweet foods will taste the best at around 1.0% - 1.5% total salt content, so the extra +0.15% is going to increase the saltiness only by 10% - 15% of the total which is only barely noticeable. And if you're measuring the salt you're adding by volume instead of with a scale, your measurements will likely be off by that much anyway.
>>
Salted, obviously.
>>
>>8463898
But it also affects the moisture content of the butter which can negatively impact precision in baking even when the amount of butter used isn't particularly large.

I agree that it was originally a sign of status for the upper classes to show they had a ready supply of butter and were not worried about spoilage which salting slows down, but it should always be used in baking if you're looking for consistency.
>>
salted for cooking/spreading. If you're too stupid to not know how much salt is in your butter and adjust accordingly, then you shouldn't be in a kitchen.
Unsalted only for baking.
>>
>>8463898
Salt is a preservative which allows salted butter to last longer on store shelves than unsalted.
>>
>>8462477
compound butters are great.

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/compound-butter/
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.