[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

self learning french cuisine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1476045431199.png (114KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1476045431199.png
114KB, 256x256px
I want to learn classical french cooking /ck/. I know there are schools for this sort of thing, but I only want to pursue it as a hobby so I don't think that's worth my time. Do any of you know of resources that I can use to self learn classical cooking methods? Cookbooks, video series and the like? Thank you.
>>
>>8460380

I've been cooking from Naomi Pomeroy's Taste and Technique, which is sort of updated classical french methods, very heavy on the technique front.

https://www.amazon.com/Taste-Technique-Recipes-Elevate-Cooking/dp/1607748991

So far i've made a souffle, a rich brown stock that i then turned into french onion soup, buckwheat crepes etc.

I'd be interested in this question as well, however.
>>
>>8460380
>get mcchicken with cheese
>take out patty
>put on banquet spaghetti
>put in microwave
>McChicken Marsala

For cream show a girl and get it from her pants as she sees this amazing meal brought before her
>>
>>8460389
>very heavy on the techniques
This sounds like the sort of thing I'm looking for. I don't want to just follow recipes, I want to get to the appoint where I have good knifework, a broad knowledge of various cooking techniques, and an ability to appraise the quality of the ingredients I'm using and develop an intuition for how to combine flavours to make a tasty and novel dish. Thanks for the post anon.
>>
>>8460399

>I don't want to just follow recipes, I want to get to the appoint where I have good knifework, a broad knowledge of various cooking techniques, and an ability to appraise the quality of the ingredients I'm using and develop an intuition for how to combine flavors to make a tasty and novel dish.

Are you starting from the beginning or do you already kind of know a bit of stuff but want to expand into french technique? I like Cooks Illustrated/America's test kitchen books. I haven't used their "cooking school" book but I imagine it's what you're looking for if you don't already know how to braise/sear/roast/chop etc. (T&T kind of presupposes that you know what you're doing already and want to improve your cooking, and i wouldn't recommend it to a total novice). That or the show cookbook/family cookbook/cooking for two (if you live alone or with a partner).

As for the flavor combinations, that comes only partly from cooking and much more with exposing yourself to different types of food and thinking critically about how the dish was put together. Focusing on a single cuisine (i.e. french) is a good idea, because you'll see the same set of flavors come up again and again and so combining them will become second nature.
>>
>>8460380
Julia Child's books on French cooking are considered classics. Check those out. Jaques Pepin wrote some definitive stuff on the matter too.
>>
>>8460523
>Julia Child
>Jacques Pepin

2nding this. You want "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" by Julia, and you want "Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques".

That's really all there is to say.
>>
>>8460523

This is what I would say. They have a lot of knowledge and are based towards someone who isn't trying to make a career out of it. Start with that.
>>
>>8460462
I definitely don't have much culinary knowledge. I'm not a complete manchild, I can cook food for myself but it's mediocre stuff and I'm lacking the basic knowledge of all the different cooking techniques etc.
>>8460523
>>8460531
>>8460532
Thanks friends. Pleasantly surprised to be getting so much advice instead of being memed on.
>>
File: 1480117499754.jpg (211KB, 748x600px) Image search: [Google]
1480117499754.jpg
211KB, 748x600px
>>8460563
Have a frog
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.