[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone into outdoor cooking? Looking for new recipes...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: dutch_oven_campfireWEB.jpg (18KB, 380x285px) Image search: [Google]
dutch_oven_campfireWEB.jpg
18KB, 380x285px
Anyone into outdoor cooking? Looking for new recipes...
>>
File: images.jpg (20KB, 504x292px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
20KB, 504x292px
>>8457473
For me it is the McChicken, the best fast food sandwich.
>>
knorr stock mixes are amazing. sometimes you have to order the really good ones online.
>>
Now that the memesters have said their piece, how about some cooking content?

I like to do foil packs. I'll make them up at home and pack them in the cooler. Cubed meat of choice, rough-cut carrot, onion, potatoes, and a pat of butter. Add seasonings, seal the foil well. Then when I'm at the campsite and have a nice set of coals going, I lay them on there. Flip after 10-15, wait another 10 and pull the packs. We can eat them straight out of the foil and toss the foil back onto the fire to toast off any food residue. Don't forget to clean the foil up the next day.

You can also do dessert-themed ones, I like apples, sugar, flour, butter, a splash of milk, and cinnamon. It all comes together into a nice apple pudding if you get the proportions right.
>>
File: knorr-leek-and-shrimp-soup-85g.jpg (41KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
knorr-leek-and-shrimp-soup-85g.jpg
41KB, 600x600px
Seriously though. Why not?
>>
>>8457506

I usually make a foil pack whenever I camp. My standard is sausage, green beans, potatoes, maybe some onion and garlic too.

My friends and I were drunk one morning, and wrapped up some eggs in foil, and threw them straight on the coals. After a few minutes, the shells would pop, and a weird half scrambled/half hard boiled egg would be ready.
>>
>>8457488
>>8457521
Everything knorr is great for the woods. Just make sure you don't need a half cup of milk for it, unless you have a cooler.
2 Cups in them pint bottles if you don't want it to hang around, maybe $1.10.
>>
Is Knorr good for backpacking?
>>
>>8457506
I never though about doing desserts in foil packs. Have you had luck with cakes?
>>
Any dutch oven cooks?
>>
Cant easily go wrong with a sweet potato wrapped in foil and throw in a fire.
>>
>>8457573

Cakes are hard to do in foil packs because they need that room to expand. Dump cakes are easy and mindless, though, if you have a dutch oven with you. Make cake mix and throw it in there, pour a can or two of fruit over it, lid, and set on the coals. Get some coals on top, too. Wait 20-30 minutes, turning the dutch oven and the lid in different directions every so often for even heating. Spoon into bowls and eat. It's even more of a car-camping thing than the foil packs, though, because dutch ovens are heavy as fuck and not worth lugging to a campsite unless you've got 5-10 young boys to do the work for you.
>>
>>8457585
Do you use checkerboard or circles with your charcoal?
>>
>>8457590

Bring some cinnamon-sugar butter to put on there when it's still hot and steamy.
>>
>>8457591
I have a 14 and 12 for outdoors and a 12 for the kitchen. I use the kitchen one all the time, and the Dutch oven is the only oven/stove we bring camping. There's at least 10-15 boys to lug the stuff, usually with a smile.
>>
>>8457473
Try to find some Walter Staib cooking videos. He's the host of the PBS cooking show "Taste of America" and cooks everything over a hearth, which is essentially the same thing.
>>
>>8457611
Will do.
>>
>>8457608

BSA? My scout troop is where I got started cooking. I wouldn't be the cook I am today without it.
>>
>>8457631
Yep. Started 5 years ago and started with outdoor cooking 4, I love it.
>>
>>8457640

Hopefully y'all force a rotation on who cooks every meal, get everybody to learn how to do it. Cooking is probably the most important life skill I learned in the Scouts, a little ahead of first aid and how to get along with dipshits.
>>
>>8457600
Ew.
>>
>>8457631
>>8457640
My brethren
It is so rare to find other people who were in the BSA these days
>>
>>8457591
>dutch oven cake
that shit is the fucking best
>>
>>8457486
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD SO FUNNY DUDE LMAOOOOOO LOOLOLOLOLOLO SHARED SUBSCRIBED SO FUCKING FUNNY AND ORIGINAL XD
>>
>>8457631
>>8457665
what's up my dudes
any of you get eagle?
>>
>>8457665

I've also felt like there's a stigma attached to it, too. People look at me a little funny when I say I was in the BSA and loved it. Maybe it's the organization's long-time backwards attitude towards gay/trans scouts and leaders, which doesn't apply to every troop, and certainly not to members. Though, maybe that intersects with the fact that I'm an outrageous pansexual faggot these days and am old enough that I aged out before they would've let my kind in there openly.

>>8457675

Too much bullshit, I didn't want to do all the paperwork for Personal Management and Family Life and shit. I just wanted to camp, stopped at Life.
>>
>>8457473
if you like sweet potatoes a good way to bake them while /out/ is wrapping them in aluminium foil and trowing them in the fire directly , you need pliers to remove them from the fire though
>>
>>8457687
>>8457590
oh shit didn't see someone already posted it , sorry
>>
>>8457566
i think it would be p. good, just bring protein too as they are all carb
>>
>>8457671
respect the mcchickenposters
they are part of us now
>>
>>8457473

Pieces of flour tortilla fried in bacon grease, good camping food. Bonus points for cast iron.
>>
File: 20170108_192010.jpg (2MB, 2268x4032px) Image search: [Google]
20170108_192010.jpg
2MB, 2268x4032px
Every winter we do some backyard cooking. Finally got cold enough this past weekend.
>>
>>8458505
I always used to lug cast iron to do my cooking outdoors, then said "Fuck it, 2 heavy" and decided to just use aluminum pans out of some old mess kit. Some shit got burned, some shit was raw, it was a mess without muh superior heat distribution. I'm sure you can cook decently with aluminum pans on a fire, but trying to use it the same way I used cast iron was a mistake.
>>
>>8458677

Aluminium is far better at distributing heat than cast iron, more than likely your pans were too thin to cook well, good aluminium pans at around 4-5mm thick and spread heat very evenly.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.