[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Karee raisu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20160305_150955.jpg (712KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160305_150955.jpg
712KB, 2592x1944px
What spices to put in a japanese style curry? No premade mixes.

This is what I made previously, good but could have been a lot spicier.
>>
Japanese curry is not curry its just a mild brown roux with meat and veg
>>
>>8444769
>No premade mixes.

A pre-made roux is literally the defining characterisic of Japanese curry.

Even the "traditional" places who make it without industrially produced curry blocks make the roux in advance.

It's very lightly spiced because it's a copy of a British naval recipe. It's based on rations for soldiers; that's literally the origin of the dish.

If you get it in Japan "made from scratch" the seasoning will be S&B brand curry powder.

If you just want it "Spicier" then just add your choice of hot peppers, pepper powder, or hot sauce.
>>
>>8444825
>If you get it in Japan "made from scratch" the seasoning will be S&B brand curry powder.
That's all? I just assumed it was not supposed to be this mild, but maybe I was wrong. Definitely going with hot sauce and more peppers next time.
>>
>>8444850

Read up about the history of Japanese curry. Here's the short version:
-When Japan opened to the west in the 19th century they realized their military was shit compared to the major world powers. So they re-organized their armed forces by copying other nations. They based their army on the Prussian army. They based their navy on the British navy. They literally copied everything the British navy did, right down to their recipes they served to the sailors, including the official British Navy curry recipe. That's what started the "Japanese style curry". Restaurants popped up near Naval ports who served it, and gradually it caught on. It's a very specific recipe: roux made with animal fat and flour. Potatoes, carrots, onions. Rice. It was all cheap stuff that could be kept aboard a Naval ship. Expensive spices? Forget that. S&B is the ubiquitous brand of Japanese curry powder. That's the standard.

Yeah, it's supposed to be mild. The Japanese idea of "hot" is very different from the rest of the world. You can buy pre-made curry blocks in various heat levels. Even the "extra hot" would be considered "mild" by the rest of the world's standards. If you want it honestly spicy then you're going to have to break tradition and add extra hot peppers (not that there's anything wrong with that).
>>
>>8444850
Can confirm, S&B is sold in all the stores in Hawai'i.
>>
>>8444769
Are you feeding a Japanese army or is that whole plate just for you?
>>
>>8444861
i went to curry coco ichibanya in Japan and had a 2 on a 1-10 scale and it was pretty hotstuff
>>
>>8444769
Japanese curry is supposed to be as flavorless as possible.
>>
>>8444949
>Japanese food is supposed to be as flavorless as possible.
ftfy
>>
>>8444956
It tastes flavourless if you eat it as part of a western diet. If you spend a few weeks there and eat their food, it will feel like the blandest shit ever for about 3 days and your palette adjusts and you can taste all these fucking amazing flavours that you don't get just eating Japanese food every now and then in the US. Western diets are so rich and loaded with salt, fat, cheese etc it really numbs your tastebuds. Sorta like when you cut out sugar and begin to like more bitter food, and find the old sugary foods too overwhelming. Japanese food is fucking delicious but you can't really appreciate it unless you change your whole diet.
>>
>>8444919
do you even lift?
>>
My japanese (and health conscious) boss says she uses only a can of coconut milk and 4 tbsp of good curry powder.
>>
>>8444769
That rice looks perfect, in Europe people usually make it soggy. Even the boxes say you should use 2 parts of water for every part of rice (which is too much).
>>
>>8444999
That's not how rice gets soggy. And that looks like microwave faggot rice
>>
>>8445100
>microwave faggot rice
It's steamed rice, like it should be.
>>
>>8444936
I went to coco a lot during my time in Japan and their spice is legit. Still probably a little below western standards but it can get pretty damn hot on that 1-10 scale.
>>
>>8445100
Of course it gets soggy if you use too much water?
>>
>>8445117
Did you not have to finish level 5 spice to advance further if i remember correctly?
>>
>>8444936

Of course there are exceptions, but in general Japanese curry is extremely mild.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.