[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Samoan Food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: povimasima_3.jpg (82KB, 567x387px) Image search: [Google]
povimasima_3.jpg
82KB, 567x387px
Samoan cuisine is one of the weirdest ones I've stumbled across.

In the meat section of my local supermarket are large, suspicious white buckets labelled "POVI MASIMA" with no other clues as to what could be lurking inside. It looks like a slimy concoction of unseasoned raw meat and cabbage. Samoans claim that it tastes amazing.

Another popular dish is rice vermicelli noodles in soy sauce. This underwhelming two-ingredient dish sells quickly and islanders love it.

Everything else they eat is fried bread, pork buns, and roast meals from the local D-grade takeaway store.

It's been proven that the shocking obesity rate of Samoans are due to genetics, but why do they make it worse by eating the unhealthiest foods possible?

The saddest part is Samoan cuisine used to be defined by its use of taro, fish, coconuts, and plantains. Now a lot of this culture has been lost to cheap chinese-influenced fried food.
>>
>>8426819
>It's been proven that the shocking obesity rate of Samoans are due to genetics
Going to need some sauce for that, kiddo.

They were sustained for a long time on a mainly seafood diet, and historically recently switched to absolute shit-tier meat (fatty mutton imported from NZ) based diet. Main problem is poverty, rather than genetics.
>>
File: samoa.jpg (260KB, 669x965px) Image search: [Google]
samoa.jpg
260KB, 669x965px
>>8426837
There's so much written about it online, I didn't think it was necessary to post sauce.

But yeah, I agree that poverty has to do with it.
>>
>>8426837
>Main problem is poverty
If you're pointing out a bullshit claim don't wedge in another bullshit claim.
The poorest people in the world- Africans, Street-Shitters and SE Asians don't have huge obesity rates.
>>
>>8426819
I can't help it, It's also fucking delicious.

t. The only Samoan on /ck/

also

>The saddest part is Samoan cuisine used to be defined by its use of taro, fish, coconuts, and plantains

It still is. It's more of a combination of that and cheap chinese-influenced food. We like to mix it up :^)
>>
>>8426845
That's interesting, but as the article points out, having higher levels of fat retention doesn't mean one has to be obese. It's the combination with an improper diet that leads to massive incidences of obesity.

>>8426848
Not starvation-level poverty, but a lack of proper nutritional education and the means to be able to consume a healthy and balanced diet. Link related. Look at burger-land, those scooter-ridden lardarses sharting themselves in Walmart aren't millionaires.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35346493
>>
File: 89814954.jpg (120KB, 600x722px) Image search: [Google]
89814954.jpg
120KB, 600x722px
>>8426859
There's a Samoan on /ck/?!

I want to try Samoan "healthy" food but I'm apprehensive about it. I don't know whether to cook it myself or go to the Samoan takeaway down the road and ask if they make anything that's not roasts.

I went to a really good speech from the author of a book called Me'a Kai. Apparently he's pushing for island resorts to hire local people to cook cultural food, instead of the boring Western food they serve up currently.
>>
>>8426899
>the Samoan takeaway down the road and ask if they make anything that's not roasts.

depends on your area, but i doubt they'd be of much help.
>>
I work with a lot of FOB Samoans, a lot of it is a heavily ingrained food=family=culture circle. There is food EVERYWHERE they go, friends bring them food, family they live with is cooking food after church is a huge feast, love is shown with food, friendship is shown with food. If you reject the food you reject the community and the love they have for you. You get offered food, you take it; you have food, you offer it.
>>
>>8426848
Dude, think a little bit before posting.
Samoans are poor in a first world country.
Poor people in New Zealand and in Namibia won't eat the same things or the same way. These two are not equivalent.
Poor people in the Western world usually are fatter because they buy the most affordable processed shit, while richer people might be able to afford organic products and shop in grocery stores offering healthier, more refined products.
Meanwhile poor people in Namibia won't eat shit and will starve to death so yeah they're not obese like in the US.
>>
Ox and Palm or Palm Canned corned beef, mixed with canned spaghetti and sautéed onions serve over white rice.

Boiled bananas and onions and coconut milk.

Boiled chicken with mayonnaise (Samoan Steroids).
>>
>>8427429
Nah, they're just dumb and dont know how to cook with what they have. Poor indians, pakis, west indians, etc. in America manage to not get fat because they know how to cook healthy stuff that tastes decent and is very cheap since its what they had to make in the old country. Though to be fair, in America they usually group together making demand for less common groceries. I live in a town with a lot of west indian communities and local grocery chains offer produce you wont find in other parts of the state but theyre cheap.
>>
>>8426819
How is it different than Hawaiian stuff?
>>
>>8426819
>After World War II, cheap imported turkey tail became popular in Samoa. Because the cut is so fatty, it has been attributed to the rise in obesity rates in the Pacific. To combat obesity, turkey tails were banned from 2007 to 2013, only allowed back in Samoa to appease the demands of the World Trade Organization.
>>
>>8428130
>Boiled bananas and onions and coconut milk.

I'm not really sure how this works, but I must try this.
>>
>>8426819
Pretty sure Samoan people love the Subway Chicken Teriyaki Footlong
>>
>>8428504
Has to be dark green bananas. Completely up rip, then it acts just like a potato.
>>
>>8428483
Lol, yeah they would fight over it at thanks giving.
>>
>>8426859

Do your people really bring KFC back from New Zealand or is that a meme?
>>
File: 1448833632870.jpg (9KB, 299x293px) Image search: [Google]
1448833632870.jpg
9KB, 299x293px
>>8428758
Yes they did. Apparently they couldn't get over how good it tasted and wanted to show their relatives back home. Pretty qt t b h

>learning about this during social studies
>only Samoan in class
>when the teacher was telling this story all the kids would turn around in their desks and look at me with a smug grin like pic related
>>
>>8426837
If I remember correctly, their metabolism makes them store more energy as fat, so changing to a sedentary and uhealthy lifestyle was worse for them than for other ethnicities
>>
File: turkey tails 4.jpg (63KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
turkey tails 4.jpg
63KB, 400x400px
I must admit I love turkey tails. Once in a blue moon. Obesity probably comes with going out of control and eating them all the time - which would give you all sorts of problems. The other samoan food I like is Sapasui - Samoan chop suey.
>>
File: average samoan breakfast.jpg (340KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
average samoan breakfast.jpg
340KB, 1600x1066px
>>8426859
Are you overweight? Why do you choose to eat tramp food like the rest of your culture?

You should be consciously promoting a healthy diet instead of risking yourself for heart disease. No "I can't help it" excuses, if the rest of the world can eat normally so can you.
>>
Femanon samoan here. Who else loves coco rice in the morning?
>>
>>8430581
It's literally a lump of fat... I even leave it out when making stock because it's just.... nasty.. The only use I can see for it is rendering it to make cooking fat but even then it's pointless because it goes bad way too quickly.
>>
>>8430749
Nah I don't really eat like that on a daily basis, more so when I'm with my other family.

If anything I under eat due to being a poor student.

>>8431020
I don't believe you
>>
>>8431020
Are you hot? I was banging the governor's niece for ten years...
>>
File: ....jpg (37KB, 390x404px) Image search: [Google]
....jpg
37KB, 390x404px
>>
>>8433933
ayy
>>
cheap as fuck mutton flaps from NZ.

I enjoy saying mutton flaps, but rarely get the chance.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.