[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Two weeks ago I threw my hat into the lact hot sauce fermentation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 20170101_105427.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170101_105427.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Two weeks ago I threw my hat into the lact hot sauce fermentation ring. I made up four jars--three hot sauces, and one of simple vegetables--and finalized the process today.

The results were mixed.

Jar 1, jalapeno and garlic, turned out the best (pic related). It smelled very savory and tasted decently. I was least worried about this based entirely on the smell and knew it would come out okay.

Jar 2, habanero and garlic, went rancid. Through the fermenting process I could tell it was turning even though there was no visible mold. It cultured just fine as there was yeast forming on the bottom, but the smell was entirely off putting. When I opened the jar much gagging ensued and I ended up tossing the batch. The peppers were firm and look okay, but the smell was simply too bad for consumption.

Jar 3, jalapeno serano habanero, smelled decent. It smelled like a lesser form of the straight jalapeno. I was cautious since there was habanero in here. I pulled out one of the habaneros to smell / taste test it, and it smelled like jar 2. I'm wondering if this is just how habaneros are when they're fermented... still didn't want to risk it and tossed the batch.

Jar 4, assorted vegetables, came out good. Carrots nice and firm. Cucumbers crisp. Radishes crunchy. Was very pleased in relation to jars 2 and 3.

So it turned out 50/50 for a first attempt. Don't think I'm going to use habanero in my second batch next weekend. Will probably go to some mexican shop and get an assortment of random peppers and just make a medley of them.

Can anyone attest to if my habaneros went bad, or if they just smell fucking awful?
>>
>>8422230
I've had nothing but awful experiences with habaneros. They always go bad on me...I've had no trouble with Jalapenos and Serranos....but habaneros ALWAYS fuck up
>>
>>8422265

Glad to hear it's not just me. I was thinking maybe my brine wasn't high enough. I had it at around 5%, maybe habanero need a 10%?
>>
>>8422265
Use thai chilis.
>>
File: Cy9IT5yUoAAAjts.jpg (185KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Cy9IT5yUoAAAjts.jpg
185KB, 1200x900px
>>8422230
can you detail what you did more for prep here? did you ferment the peppers in a brine for a bit then blend them to get whats shown in your pic? i understand jar 4, its the shit mex restaurants have on the tables but im confused about the rest on the sauce part
>>
File: 20161218_143114.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161218_143114.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
It's a very simple process.

Just wash off the vegetables and slice them in a way that allows air not to be trapped. You want everything to be completely submerged in the brine. Just pack it down with whatever you're trying to ferment and pour in your brine mixture and set your air locks. Brine should be about 3-5% for veggies, and 5-10% for peppers. Let them go for 2 weeks to 2+ months depending on how long you want to ferment them, but at minimum 2 weeks.

With this batch I just chopped everything whole and did the fermenting. When it finished today I took out the peppers and put them in a blender with a 1:1 mixture of brine:vinegar.
>>
>>8422311
cool thats what i thought. ive done plenty of fermenting, making pickles and what not, but never used it as a step for a hot sauce. thanks for the the tips dude
>>
>>8422292
>i understand jar 4, its the shit mex restaurants have on the tables

No. The mex stuff is not fermented.

Generally you ferment the vegetables chopped up into pieces. If you want to make a sauce then you puree it AFTER fermentation.
>>
>>8422325
yep i understand blending after the ferment. but isnt the stuff on the mex place tables pickled? its in a brine is it not?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.