[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I survive on just ~£5 per week for food? pic very related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: Student-Loans-Company-Logo.jpg (179KB, 755x625px) Image search: [Google]
Student-Loans-Company-Logo.jpg
179KB, 755x625px
How can I survive on just ~£5 per week for food?

pic very related
>>
Oatmeal
Rice and beans
>>
Student Loan repayments are means tested. I don't believe you.
>>
Start by eating Boardwalk and then work your way around the board until you run out of monopoly money.
>>
>>8415046
I'm not eligible for any loans so have to rely entirely on existing savings and what I will earn from my current job until September, taking all other expenses in to account I should be left with about £5 a week if I'm conservative with electricity usage
>>
>>8415075
Shit sucks. Why bother with Uni though?
>>
>>8415077
Masters degree
>>
>>8415075
Get a job that pays more.

I still don't believe you.
>>
>>8415075
Why are you ineligible?
>>
>>8415081
Even more pointless. Literally why? Get a job.
>>
>>8415100
They only support you for a limited number of years based on the length of your undergrad course and apparently this carries over to the masters too. I took 2 additional years of student loans so I can't get any more.

>>8415110
Not going to debate this m9
>>
>>8415148
>Not going to debate this

So serious not-trolling response: why would you go into poverty for a Masters? Why not just work for a couple of years, save up and then do it once you can afford it?
>>
Get a loan from 2 universities.

-$200,000-$200,000 = $400,000.

I learned that in school.
>>
>>8415148
>I took 2 additional years of student loans
What happened to force this?

And what discipline are you in to make a masters mandatory? Or is it a course that doesn't award shit until after the masters?
>>
>>8415148
That's fair enough on their part.

Can't very well pay for people to go to uni indefinitely.
>>
I only owe 6 grand. I'll have enough for McChickens in no time.
>>
>>8415156
That's why I'm making this thread, trying to see how viable it is to live on such a constrained budget. I'd rather get it over and done with as soon as possible.

>>8415162
>>8415167
Normally they give you the length of your course plus one additional year if you need it, which would have been fine because the masters counts as an extra year on top of that. But in my case because of a loophole I received 2 extra years of finance for my undergrad which apparently means I'm not eligible for a masters loan, because even though it's a separate loan, it's technically part of the state student loans system. It sounds complicated asf and I've barely gotten my head around it myself but I hope this makes some kind of sense to you.
>>
>>8415189
Did you do 2 years of another course first, or they just paid you extra and nobody realised?
>>
>>8415198
A combination of both. I did actually study there for 5 years (of a three year course) but I shouldn't have been allowed to receive loans for the 5th year.
>>
>>8415037
>loans are good
>debt is good
>debt

No. Just no. Explain to me exactly why you throw the yoke around your own neck, and accept the lash of the whip? Are you simply a masochist, or did "somebody" sell you on the idea, so it's not your fault?
>>
File: cant change the channel now.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
cant change the channel now.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>8415075
>>8415037

Look for a local Soup Kitchen.

> t. homeless guy who used to be a college student.

Ive seen on occasion other college students in there eating. There's no stigma to it as long as you keep it to yourself. Its free food man.

Im not kidding, sometimes they have some decent food, and it is sanitary despite what you might think. Only problem is you don't control what they serve and they often don't have a schedule, so you get what you get.

> thats the main annoying part for ME personally

You dont have to eat everything on the plate.

They are relatively safe places despite the people who go in there.

> but it depends on the area of town you're going to. Thats the much larger determining factor.

> also you might want to tuck your wallet in the inside pocket of your coat, or possibly leave it and your money out in the car while only carrying your ID.

Also the food can be better than the suggestions here. The local soup kitchens around here have been known to fix fried chicken, pot roast, or even order pizzas from a local joint. But usually its a mashup of things.

> do not be afraid to use salt & pepper extensively

> portion size may be a problem in some cases - its okay to ASK if they have Seconds near the halfway mark of their serving period but do not Insist on it or they'll boot you out.

> most places dont let you bring in food
Another alternative to add to this is Food Pantries, you often get a random assortment and it depends on the place what kinda stuff you get:
- some will consistently hand out canned goods, shit people throw away

- while some others may give out alot of spare crackers/meal kits/sacks of potatoes and "as much as you want" Bread. This type is infinitely more useful.

Food Pantries usually hand out food every week but restrict individuals from getting it more than once or twice per month (you have to fill out a card).

If you're in the UK your mileage may vary but I dont expect it would be much different there.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.