[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you eat crayfish, /ck/? Do you ever catch them yourself? Other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: Oregon crayfish.jpg (283KB, 984x1460px) Image search: [Google]
Oregon crayfish.jpg
283KB, 984x1460px
Do you eat crayfish, /ck/? Do you ever catch them yourself? Other names for those things: river lobsters, mudbugs, crawdads, yabbies, crawfish, écrevisse, flusskrebse, cangrejos de río, or 淡水龙虾.
>>
I used to eat them when they were sold at popeye's.
>>
File: crawfish4.jpg (236KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
crawfish4.jpg
236KB, 500x375px
I'm a Texas native, but the entire rest of my family is from and still lives in Louisiana.
Crawfish boils are considered something like a party or a big family get together. My uncles actually farm and harvest them, so we get good prices, good sizes.
Good god I'm ready for crawfish season to start
>>
File: Ecrevisses flambees au whisky.jpg (440KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Ecrevisses flambees au whisky.jpg
440KB, 1600x1600px
They show up in a bunch of high-end French recipes. They're pretty versatile as an ingredient; they absorb flavor well and tend not to have a super-strong flavor of their own.
>>
bump
there is some dude at my local farmers market that sells local ones (so an austrian variety) and supposedly they are all like lobsters and whatever but much more sustainable and local and whatnot.

worth a try? They are quite expensive, but if it is worth it, I would go for it, assuming I find some recipes that sound appealing.
>>
The wild ones supposedly taste like shit, because, you know, they mostly sustain on shit. I've eaten store bough, likely farmed ones, and they were really nice.
>>
>>8410218
>crayfish
>not water willies

What backwater are you from, OP?
>>
I would eat them, but in the midwest, they are a very rare sight. Even then, I wouldn't have any idea on how to eat them.
>>
>>8411026
They are good, but if you have to spend a lot of money, it might not be worth it. They taste a bit like small lobsters, but mixed with shrimp.

There are many recipes for them, from very simple "boils" to more complex French recipes with sauces and other ingredients. Here's a simple and very good recipe if you get some:

http://www.essen-und-trinken.de/rezept/314610/flusskrebse-im-kraeutersud.html
>>
Fakin' yabbies mate, me and my mates used to go down and fakin' beat 'em an' stab 'em an' shoot 'em for being cunts and that, proper yabbie hunters
>>
File: crawfishetouffee.jpg (130KB, 600x410px) Image search: [Google]
crawfishetouffee.jpg
130KB, 600x410px
>>8411026
I admit it can be expensive, especially at the beginning end end of crawfish season.
We always boil them, and use leftover crawfish (if we're lucky enough to HAVE leftovers) in crawfish etouffett, which is sort of like a stew you serve over rice.
>>
Good flavor but absolute dog shit ROI compared to other decapod crustaceans; just gimme a shrimp, crab, or lobster.
>>
>>8411685
As the image in the OP shows, they are basically free in the Pacific Northwest. Most species are invasive and there are few limits on catching them.

Also, colder water seems to make them sluggish and even easier to catch than they already are. It can be done by hand even by near-beginners. All you need is a stream and a bucket, and you can grab yourself as many crawdads as you want. Add a net, and you can fill that bucket in a half-hour or so.
>>
File: rtrty.png (222KB, 905x600px) Image search: [Google]
rtrty.png
222KB, 905x600px
>>8411882
*ahh* Sorry for the confusion, but I meant to refer to the "effort" to shuck crawfish tails with respect to ROI. The head/tomalley can be good, but since most people don't eat the head/tomalley, simply serve a shrimp, lobster, or crab under this argument.
>>
>>8411663
My goodness that looks good.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.