[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Christmas gravy thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: perfect-turkey-gravy-4.jpg (2MB, 1518x1517px) Image search: [Google]
perfect-turkey-gravy-4.jpg
2MB, 1518x1517px
Tomorrow I have to make Christmas gravy for 14 people. I have 4 pints (2.3 litres) of chicken stock made up and I plan to use a recipe involving red wine and cranberry jelly. I thought you guys might have some better ideas though. As you can probably guess, it's a big family thing. Everyone takes responsibility for one aspect, and I decided that gravy was about my level. Not least because I have to travel via public transport and don't want to cook in someone else's kitchen anyway.

If anyone has any tips for an especially impressive gravy then I'm all ears. Will 4 pints be enough, do you think? There might be a pint extra but it would be awkward to carry.

The recipe that I plan to use may be found below:

http://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/christmas/christmas-turkey-gravy
>>
>>8398273
yeah that's more than enough stock. too lazy to shoot out ideas though.
>>
>>8398300
I appreciate your candour as well as your digits, but I'm thinking of 4 pints total gravy, i.e. some stock will go to waste or more likely stored at home for later use. There's a limit to how much I'm able to convey. As I said though, were it truly necessary I could find another container.
>>
The only thing that matters is having enough (but not too much) salt. Also, I wouldn't want your bastard grape and cranberry gravy. Drippings, stock, salt, pepper, and a little bit of spices I used to roast the meat.

Also, make a 1:1 golden roux with flour and butter. Don't be the faggot who uses corn starch...
>>
>>8398407
I was just going to use flour. You think a roux is the way to go though? I'm very cautious with salt since I don't like it much. I also have no drippings. The turkey is being handled by someone else so I had to use a separate chicken just for stock. That crumbled carcass is now warming the bins outside. I don't have to use the fruits, but I want it to be especially indulgent and therefore festive. Something of a sensation.
>>
>>8398416

Do what you like as far as the fruit in the gravy goes. Personally I think cooking with red wine is better for beef than turkey, and I don't like cranberry sauce. But a roux is definitely the way to go. Just don't let it brown too much.
>>
>>8398427
Thanks for the advice on going for a golden 1:1, will definitely do it. I actually agree with the red, though I don't like it at all even on beef. I'm more concerned about making something impressive
>>
File: 51qHkFVh6mL.jpg (39KB, 290x500px) Image search: [Google]
51qHkFVh6mL.jpg
39KB, 290x500px
>>8398273
>>
>>8398431
Definitely do a good golden roux. If you're looking to impress with a gravy, i wouldn't necessarily go with red wine- i don't think it makes sense with turkey. Throw some thyme, sage, and parsley in there to give it some freshness and maybe sub a few tablespoons of your stock for a dry oxidized fortified wine, like a dry oloroso or amontillado sherry. They'll provide some acid and a nice rich toasty/nutty flavor that will mingle well with the natural flavor of tge gravy as long as you don't add too much.
>>
>>8398540
Just a little sherry, gotcha. Those herbs I'm definitely planning to use. Got fresh parsley as well. Any advice on hitting the roux just right? Really appreciate this faam
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.